Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 11:46 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Good Luck and have tons of fun! Fly it like you stole it!!
Old 05-02-2009, 03:09 AM
flygilmore

Here's some pics of "us" (I'm in the maroon shirt) flying last Sat. morning-my absolute favorite time to fly. My son just loves to jump right in and help with his foam glider in tow!!

The one plane is a Jerry's Big Boy with a Homelite 33cc saw engine I converted-lots of power and super fast throttle!! Yanks out of a hover. The Fokker is not quite finished although I have been flying it quite a bit-small scale details left to do and the last one is a Mojo 60 with an OS 120AX coupled with a Mac's header and my own MCP....sick, sick power[:@]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76831.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	1190516   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16652.jpg
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1190517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98563.jpg
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	1190518   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89318.jpg
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1190519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40652.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	1190520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21707.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	1190521  
Old 05-02-2009, 08:27 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool pic's. Looks like a family day to me !!!

Nice country out there.

I'm heading out to the filed. It's blue skys all day.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:40 PM
JoeAirPort

Yeah it was blue skies and windy. I got my DL-50 all tuned up...incredible. You're not going to believe this but I'm pulling 7400 RPM on a Xoar 22x8 prop, stock DL exhaust (about 3-4 gallons of Pennz air cooled 32:1). I was getting what I thought was a very good 7200 RPM. I spoke with Jody at Valleyview and he thought my high needle was a little fat at 1 3/4. I'm a little over 1.5 turns on the high and about 1 1/8 on the low. The thing just barks now. You can just hear a good tune when you fly. 7400 RPM's is incredible. Also that velocity stack is going on all my engines from now on. Same with the metering vent plumbed into the fuse. The engine runs way to good at all attitudes now. I tested it very thoroughly today. I rolled inverted and the engine sounded identical. Same with knife edge. I got this Yak dialed in !!!! Thanks to Jody at Valleyview for all the support. These days I'm discovering that getting that kind of support is very rare.

PS: Oh, I have no troubles setting my needles through the 1/2" diameter hole in the cowling. I did remove the handle from the long screwdriver..it was blocking my view.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Columbo
My Feedback: (9)

Well,

Went flying a couple days ago. I've flown this plane about 6 times and was in the process of getting it dialed in, such as adjusting the c.g., incidince, etc. By my 6th flight I was almost there and the plane was flying great. Torque rolls and hovers are relatively easy with this plane, as most other 3D maneuvers. Engine is still 4 stroking on low end, but otherwise running fine. I was doing a low aileron roll, about 15 ft high while rolling to the right. I have done this maneuver (which is nothing difficult) countless times before. However, for some reason, I gave right rudder (rather than left) when I was on the right knife edge part of the roll. I saw the mistake I was making, but because of the low altitude couldn't correct in time. The plane hit nost first at an angle. I basically mangled the front 1/3 of the fuselage and broke the wing tube, but nothing else was damaged. The wings, stabs, canopy, rudder were all fine with not a scratch and no formers were damaged. Engine and servos also seem fine, but I will open up all servos to examine them. This is my first crash in 5 years. However, It appears that it will only cost me about $300 to get this back in the air which is the cost of the fuselage, cowl, and wing tube.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:54 PM
JoeAirPort

Oh man that sucks !!! What color is your Yak? I'll keep an eye out for a fuse and cowling.

One thing I noticed lately...if I start thinking about what I'm doing it's very dangerous. It's better if I just fly and leave my brain out of it. Some times it's hard to just stay in that "zone" and not think about what you're doing. If I did a rolling harrier and thought about every stick input while I was doing it, I'd surely crash. Not saying you did this, just something I noticed about myself.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Columbo

Thanks Joe,

I will just order the fuse and cowl from Extreme Flight. I have the yellow and black, and on their website they have them in stock. I really don't think about what inputs I need anymore, since I have been flying aerobatics now for 5 years. Not sure why I zigged instead of zagged. Just one of those things. I'm just happy the only thing I need to
replace is the fuselage and cowling. The servos and receiver will get checked thoroughly also, but so far they seem fine. My last crash was about 5 years ago when I put
my ignition battery too close to my receiver in a 31% AW edge. Amazingly in that case, the only thing I needed to replace was the fuse as well.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Gatorb8

Hey Guys,
What max deflection did you end up with on the ailerons?
I was doing a lot of hovering this week and the wind was 10-15 mph. I often had too much torque roll or wind and could not bring it back with max deflection of ailerons. I did have the control arm on the outer hole of the aileron control horn so I decided to move it in to the inner hole today.

To get max deflection I had to mount the control arm ball link between the arm and the wing, that improved the geometry to get more throw when the arm was pulling, that caused the hex screw to bump into the wind so I made a small shim and put it between the servo and the forward servo mount. Now I can get 55* in each direction so I dialed it back to 50* just to have a little room to spare. Hope this helps and can't wait to try it.

So, what Aileron deflection you guys getting?
Gatorb8
Old 05-02-2009, 04:30 PM
JoeAirPort

My last crash was an Ultra RC 87" Yak...which is basically the EF 87" Yak in a little different covering....and was a couple years ago. I was flying in a foot of powder snow with skiis and having a total blast. I did a double waterfall, and the 2nd one was too low. I panicked and it got away from me in the haze. I had enough altitude to recover but I got confused which way to go with the sticks so low to the ground. Also there was a sort of haze with the snow and the lighting was weird. My waterfalls can get squirrely, especially the 2nd one. I haven't mastered that quite yet. I've tried it since with similar results but no crash. I love doing them but going from inverted to upright gets a litle crazy at times.

So yeah it took me two years to replace that Yak with this 88". The 88" is way better IMO. I love it.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:31 PM
JoeAirPort

Gator, I think mine are around 45. Plenty....in fact too much actually.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Gatorb8

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Gator, I think mine are around 45. Plenty....in fact too much actually.
Good! It's easy to dial down.....
thx
Gatrob8
Old 05-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Columbo

Joe,

Why did it take you so long to replace your Yak? Were you able to save most of your components such as the servos, engine and receiver? Should have mine flying again by next month. In the meantime I am working on a 35% Jtech extra that I need to get done. As soon as I am done with that one, I will start on the Yak. Since the wings and stabs are already done. It shouldn't take me long once I get started.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:08 PM
JoeAirPort

Good question. I think because I wanted the new 88"Extra....new at that time. But I always missed that Yak and just had to get one...especially after he came out with the 88 in the original covering scheme. You got me thinking with that question.

BTW, I have another NIB 88" Yak original covering scheme that I got from a local guy cheap that needed the cash. So now I even have a backup.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Cobra_03

ORIGINAL: Columbo

Joe,

Why did it take you so long to replace your Yak? Were you able to save most of your components such as the servos, engine and receiver? Should have mine flying again by next month. In the meantime I am working on a 35% Jtech extra that I need to get done. As soon as I am done with that one, I will start on the Yak. Since the wings and stabs are already done. It shouldn't take me long once I get started.
Columbo,

I have a spare wing tube from my yak and I have a couple "like new" stabs also. Only things that survived my crash. LMK!
Old 05-03-2009, 03:01 PM
JoeAirPort

Took the Yak out today for another incredible day of flying. Some of the best flying weather....sunny and little breezy at times but nothing like yesterday (windy). Today I decided I would pull some knife edge loops. The first two weren't so hot but I finally increased the radius and did 2 huge ones back to back. Wow WOW WOW. This Yak rocks. I think I have around 30 flights on it now and I'm really getting the hang of it. In blenders/flat spins I find that very little elevator is needed or it'll screw them up. Very little opposite alieron too. The ail's are friggen huge.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:20 PM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

one of you guys was talking about a muffler breaking a while back, i had my 80cc stack break today on my sdyak, what did you guys do to fix yours? mine is still under warrenty but im wondering if i should do something with the new one before i even run it, like shorten the down tube? or weld a gusset or X brace between the 2? just curious of any ideas, same kind of muffler just a tad bigger i imagine
Old 05-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Columbo

Hey, Cobra_03

My stabs didn't receive a scratch. If you had a new fuselage you were willing to sell I would take that off your hands. A new fuselage, wing tube and cowl are all that I need to get back in the air. I think the total for these items will run about $300 based on the prices they have on their website. Not too bad. Better than having to buy a new plane I guess[sm=teeth_smile.gif].
Old 05-03-2009, 10:44 PM
JoeAirPort

The shipping is another $100 unfortunately.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:46 AM
Cobra_03

Yeah, all i have left that would help you would be just the wing tube. I would send the fuse but it needs a lot of work.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82377.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1191857  
Old 05-04-2009, 05:32 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

Joe,this is the easiest plane to do a knife edge loop.the only other plane that comes close is the OMP fusion,but it's a profile and thats kind of cheating.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:16 AM
JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: closetguy

Joe,this is the easiest plane to do a knife edge loop.the only other plane that comes close is the OMP fusion,but it's a profile and thats kind of cheating.
It's a little stressful on the way down but you just hang in there and it stays sideways....never snaps. It's a fun fun manuever. Lots of power helps on the way up.[sm=shades_smile.gif]

I love this plane. I flew the heck out of it this weekend.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:53 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

ORIGINAL: diamondave

one of you guys was talking about a muffler breaking a while back, i had my 80cc stack break today on my sdyak, what did you guys do to fix yours? mine is still under warrenty but im wondering if i should do something with the new one before i even run it, like shorten the down tube? or weld a gusset or X brace between the 2? just curious of any ideas, same kind of muffler just a tad bigger i imagine

I haven t had the chance to use it yet...but the MVVS guy says it works good. Come down the stack an inch or so and cut it then re-assemble with Teflon coupler and spring clamps (like you do on a header/pipe setup). This acts like a shock absorber not allowing the full length of the stack to work against the base weld.

See you guys at the Nall. I will be down on the 3D line this Sat through next Sat, come by and fly...say hi!

R
Old 05-04-2009, 08:22 AM
Columbo

Cobra,

Mine looks exactly like that. I left it sticking up out of the garbage can at our airfield. Your rudder looks good. Why didn't you salvage that? I took mine off. I just had to cut the hinges. They can be redrilled.

Joe, yes shipping will add another $100, but $400 is still better than nearly $800 for the entire plane.

Greg
Old 05-04-2009, 08:31 AM
MIXMASTER
My Feedback: (15)

I did KE circles and some slow HAKE with the 88" EF Yak, i didnt have to use any elev or aileron, now thats sweet, I got a real good feeling with it, like I said before, I,m calling my friend as soon as he gets back home, I'll be bugging him for some more stick time!!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 08:53 AM
JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: Columbo

Cobra,

Mine looks exactly like that. I left it sticking up out of the garbage can at our airfield. Your rudder looks good. Why didn't you salvage that? I took mine off. I just had to cut the hinges. They can be redrilled.

Joe, yes shipping will add another $100, but $400 is still better than nearly $800 for the entire plane.

Greg
Looks like he broke off his counter balance.

Yes $400 is way better than $800. I'd be in this same situation if I doinked mine in. I usually come close pretty much every flight....some times more than once.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.