Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Weather has been rain and wind around here.

Hey flygilmore, I have converted another DLE-55 to a velocity stack. Bone dry after flying 5 flights. Ithink these things stop the spray at the source. Also my fuel economy seems better. OF course neither of those were the reasons I went with the v-stack. It was for consistant mixture at all flying attitudes. That works great too.
Joe, Where do you get the V stack for the DLE-55? I bought one of those engines to put in my Edge. I'm gonna start the build later this week. Sounds like something I ought to install. Where do you get them? I haven't ever ran a DL but the 55 interested me so I got one to try.
Thanks
Barry
Old 05-18-2009, 09:31 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Barry Cazier

Weather has been rain and wind around here.

Hey flygilmore, I have converted another DLE-55 to a velocity stack. Bone dry after flying 5 flights. Ithink these things stop the spray at the source. Also my fuel economy seems better. OF course neither of those were the reasons I went with the v-stack. It was for consistant mixture at all flying attitudes. That works great too.
Joe, Where do you get the V stack for the DLE-55? I bought one of those engines to put in my Edge. I'm gonna start the build later this week. Sounds like something I ought to install. Where do you get them? I haven't ever ran a DL but the 55 interested me so I got one to try.
Thanks
Barry
Barry you're in for a treat. The DL/DLE have amazing power. They sound like their having a temper tantrum when Irun them up on the flight line.

The V-stack can be purchased from ValleyviewRC. They only cost a couple of bucks or so...less than $5. Jedijody is tech support for Valleyview and is around here posting...mostly on the DL/DLE threads in the gas engine forums. PM him and he'll set you up. The V-stack worked so well that I put it on both the DL and DLE engines. Get 5mm longer bolts. Use blue lock tite and don't over torque as the V-stacks are just a hard plastic. Mine work great. I was tossing my plane around all afternoon and the engine never knew it. Just kept ticking along.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Great, I'll find him and order one.
What is the difference between the DL and DLE? Mine is a 55 and I'm thinking it said DLE on the box, but now I'm not sure.
Thanks
Barry
Old 05-18-2009, 11:18 AM
ArcherIIDriver

ORIGINAL: Barry Cazier

Great, I'll find him and order one.
What is the difference between the DL and DLE? Mine is a 55 and I'm thinking it said DLE on the box, but now I'm not sure.
Thanks
Barry
Besides the 5cc size difference, my understanding is that there is no difference. It was just a marketing thing. Just added the "E" to represent DL Engines. At least that's what I've heard/read. I'm sure Jodi can confirm.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:35 AM
JoeAirPort

Yeah that's pretty much it. The DLE jug might be just a little bigger due to larger cooling fins. At least it looks a little bigger to me.

On my DL-50 I'm getting 7400 RPM onXoar 22x8 using stock exhaust (about 2-3 gallons Pennz 32:1). My ZDZ 50 NG pulled the same prop at 6900 on a Supersonic wrap around. The difference in power is incredible. Once Iget more gas though the 55 I'll get a tach measurement. It's already pulling like a mad bull.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:29 PM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

if anyone is making there way through arizona let me know, be cool to see some of  you guys
Old 05-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

A picture that puts the size of our YAK in perspective.
My Yak sitting with two 75/85ccAeroworks machines.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21239.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	460.6 KB
ID:	1202445  
Old 05-20-2009, 01:08 PM
JoeAirPort

Cool. I think EF's mottor for this ARF should be ...Extreme Flight Yak...IT's HUUUUUUGE....
Old 05-20-2009, 01:34 PM
cjcyclesrc
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Gatorb8

Good to meet you too cjcyclesrc!
Hope you didn't get too much rain on the way home, I hit it all day Saturday, took 10 hours.
We need to do a YaK rendezvous at a future Joe Nall. We could line up at all flight stations and have 5 YaK's up at once. That would be a cool video & photo session!

Gatorb8
I just drove back to Texas yesterday and I'm back at work today. I ended up driving 2425 miles total. The weather was great yesterday. I stopped by the Airfield in Tyler on my way back and it was absolutely perfect weather. A friend let me guest pilot his 37.5% Yak for an awesome flight.

That's a great idea for getting all the EF's up at once. A definite must dofor next year.

I was hoping someone got some pictures when Lee and I flew together on Friday. It wascool seeing both the 110's flying in formation.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:47 PM
MIXMASTER
My Feedback: (15)

I got 3 or 4 more "free" flights on buddys' EF 88" Yak. A few things were clearly better than my TOC-E Yak, KE is so easy, if I held any rudder at all, it climbed! I wanted to do a low KE pass but couldnt get it low. I'm used to holding lots of rudder. Waterfalls and inverted flat spins were better and landings, well, you just about have to cut the engine to get it to land, what a floater. The control in hovers was a little less than TOC-E Yak and pull out was a bit sluggish, but enough. It has DA50, Xoar 22X10, 7100R's. Dont know the weight yet.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:13 PM
JoeAirPort

Tell me about it.....I was used to flying this Yak all spring. Then I got my EF Extra going. Itook it out to the field and my knife edges were all diving toward the ground. Ihad to get used giving morerudder. So then Idid my first my take off into a knife edge climb out. And right after I'm high enough, so the wings are clear of the ground, I roll into knife edge.My left wing tipended up less than a foot off the ground for about 10 feet. Man talk about a thrill. Luckily Ididn't stick thewing. And what really sucks is nobody saw it. It looked impressive (it was an accident of course).

Now when I go back to the Yak all my knife edges will climb.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:48 PM
diamondave

ORIGINAL: Hughes500E

you should see my 110 next to the AW 100cc yak, blows it away too, here it is next to the PAU 43%edge, mine looks just as impressive but costs less for the plane and motor, and flies better too
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95266.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	1202610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48115.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1202611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc77865.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1202612  
Old 05-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Gatorb8

ORIGINAL: diamondave

if anyone is making there way through arizona let me know, be cool to see some of you guys
Thanks for the invite diamondave,
I'm in Colorado for the summer and I'm afraid if I got to AZ I would melt!
In BV CO it's 50-60 in the morning and tops outin the 80's on a HOT HOT day!
Can you fly in the dead of summer? I'm guessing it's like fishing in florida in summer, up at 4am, fish, drink, catch fish, clean fish, sleep by noon!
If any of you guys get to CO in the summer hail me! The back drop of the field in BV is the contentinal divide, multiple snow covered fourteeners, cool weather, low winds in the morning, hold on to you plane in the afternoon!

cjcyclesrc,
Glad you waited out the rain and got home ok! Definately see ya next year! We'll do an all up Yak-off!

Gatorb8
Old 05-20-2009, 08:24 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Hughes500E

Look at those AW Yaks with the flat sided fuses....YUK !! Thats the number two reason I like the EF Yaks,their scale looks. The number one reason is the performance..

Old 05-21-2009, 03:22 PM
diamondave

gator that would be cool up there...i do fly in the summer but out early, daybreak kinda thing, by 10-11 its pretty hot, we do have a pavilion for some shade, soda machine, i bring a jug of water too, but you do get hot just in the 11 minutes of flying out at the line, maybe thats another reason i keep my timer short and land with half a tank still
Old 05-27-2009, 07:34 PM
MSC
My Feedback: (5)

Got my notification that the Yellow/Blk Yak will arrive early next week.....  After reading this post I'm pumped about getting this plane and putting it in the air.  Once I get it put together I'll post some pics.  Looking forward to the WOW........

Old 05-27-2009, 08:17 PM
MSC

I do have one question, I'm using a DA 50 on this plane and I've heard several comments on using 2.5 to 3" or more standoffs.  What is actually the best to use?  Is the main reason for the cowl to be offset a little less than what the manual says or is it to help with counterballancing to obtain CG?

Thxs

MC

Old 05-27-2009, 08:29 PM
xtraflyr

ORIGINAL: MSC

Got my notification that the Yellow/Blk Yak will arrive early next week..... After reading this post I'm pumped about getting this plane and putting it in the air. Once I get it put together I'll post some pics. Looking forward to the WOW........

MSC,I remember when I got the message when mine was getting shipped,I wanted to miss work until it got here... Just wait till you fly it!!

I used the stock 2.5" standoffs that came with my DA. The CG works out fine with the KS 1060 Tuned Pipe and the batteries and regs all the way up on the side of the motor box..

Old 05-27-2009, 08:31 PM
JoeAirPort

Got my notification that the Yellow/Blk Yak will arrive early next week..... After reading this post I'm pumped about getting this plane and putting it in the air. Once I get it put together I'll post some pics. Looking forward to the WOW........

You should be excited. Wait till you see the thing in real life. It's shiney, it's huge, it's got a cool covering scheme. It's the best design and best quality ARF out there. Looking forward to seeing you around here. The WOW club rocks.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:34 PM
JoeAirPort

I do have one question, I'm using a DA 50 on this plane and I've heard several comments on using 2.5 to 3" or more standoffs. What is actually the best to use? Is the main reason for the cowl to be offset a little less than what the manual says or is it to help with counterballancing to obtain CG?

Thxs

MC

3" is too much. 2.5" is good. Mine are about 2.7" and are perfect. They are DL stand off's. I like my prop to have some space between it and the cowling. It not only helps push theCG forward but gives the prop better efficiency. I don't mind at all the looks, in fact I prefer that look.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:37 PM
xtraflyr

I do have one question, I'm using a DA 50 on this plane and I've heard several comments on using 2.5 to 3" or more standoffs. What is actually the best to use? Is the main reason for the cowl to be offset a little less than what the manual says or is it to help with counterballancing to obtain CG?

Thxs

MC

3" is too much. 2.5" is good. Mine are about 2.7" and are perfect. They are DL stand off's. I like my prop to have some space between it and the cowling. It not only helps push theCG forward but gives the prop better efficiency. I don't mind at all the looks, in fact I prefer that look.
My cowl is about even+1/8" with the back of the prop hub on my DA.. If you look at the real Yak,the front sticks way outside the cowl..

Old 05-27-2009, 08:47 PM
MSC

Thks, sure there will be more questions coming.  Nothing like the excitement of a new package arriving at work and everyone Ooooing and Awwwing over a new plane.....  If only UPS was quicker......tick   tick   tick   tick   amazing how slow time will pass when I'm waiting.... and how fast it goes by when I'm at the field.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:56 PM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

MSC.

Welcome to the WOW Club!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-27-2009, 10:25 PM
diamondave

well there was a death in the family on memorial day, the red-headed step child took a shot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGDh7YDOgRA

Old 05-28-2009, 01:40 AM
ArcherIIDriver

ORIGINAL: diamondave

well there was a death in the family on memorial day, the red-headed step child took a shot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGDh7YDOgRA

Sorry to hear that! Although, it was interesting to see it drop like a brick in your video. Looks like it just fell out out the sky! no shrapnel, no fluttering down...just SPLAT! Well, at least you can hold your chinn up high knowing that it wasn;t your fault. (get it?..."chinn"?? hahahah...yeah I know...)

On a happy note, Igot a few flights in on my red-headed step child this past weekend &everything went great.

Also flew the 88"er and got the needles tuned much better. The low speed is just a hair under 1 turn now and the high side is a hair under 1 1/2. I tached it (warm) at 7300 ona Vess 22A and the transition is great. Still a bit of burble under 1/4 throttle, but I'm not concerned about that. I've only got about a gallon through it so far. It's still doing the inverted power-loss thing, so I've gota V-stack on the way to try out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.