Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 01:44 PM
arb6591

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

I am the lucky owner of the plane Mixmaster is talking about ....

It IS a great plane, every time I fly, I like it more.

As per suggestions on the prop ....I did it.
I bought Mejzlik 22x8 .... TODAY after work is a test , I hope it pulls up better than with Xoar 22x10
Of course I might need soeone to fine tune my DA 50 , I have run 6 Gallons so far so it is getting to the state of being totally broken in .... or what do you guys think?

Mixmaster, did you get to edit and post last flying session videos?

Congrats on harrier landing with my Yak .....LOL ... it was a little intense even for me but what the hell .....

Andrzej

ORIGINAL: MIXMASTER

I have to have one of these at some point($$$$$$$). I'm selling TOC-E Yak!!!!!! I'm finally convinced this plane is better in every way except maybe hovering, pull out is a little slow with DA50 & 22X10 Xoar. I was even coerced into a harrier landing by the owner!!! I didnt want to, not being familiar with his set-up & plane, however I gave in and went for it. Not that hard when the plane locks in good with a little aileron and floats at idle. The kicker was inverted flat spins and harriers, I cannot even try inverted harriers, both my 50cc planes quit when inverted and low throttle(DA50s). His plane made it seem easy again, low throttle, inverted and the harriers were easy to control, felt like I could be DOD after little practice. This plane and maybe a 89" AJ Slick-perfect combo!!!!
Old 06-09-2009, 01:56 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: arb6591

I am the lucky owner of the plane Mixmaster is talking about ....

It IS a great plane, every time I fly, I like it more.

As per suggestions on the prop ....I did it.
I bought Mejzlik 22x8 .... TODAY after work is a test , I hope it pulls up better than with Xoar 22x10
Of course I might need soeone to fine tune my DA 50 , I have run 6 Gallons so far so it is getting to the state of being totally broken in .... or what do you guys think?

Mixmaster, did you get to edit and post last flying session videos?

Congrats on harrier landing with my Yak .....LOL ... it was a little intense even for me but what the hell .....

Andrzej

ORIGINAL: MIXMASTER

I have to have one of these at some point($$$$$$$). I'm selling TOC-E Yak!!!!!! I'm finally convinced this plane is better in every way except maybe hovering, pull out is a little slow with DA50 & 22X10 Xoar. I was even coerced into a harrier landing by the owner!!! I didnt want to, not being familiar with his set-up & plane, however I gave in and went for it. Not that hard when the plane locks in good with a little aileron and floats at idle. The kicker was inverted flat spins and harriers, I cannot even try inverted harriers, both my 50cc planes quit when inverted and low throttle(DA50s). His plane made it seem easy again, low throttle, inverted and the harriers were easy to control, felt like I could be DOD after little practice. This plane and maybe a 89" AJ Slick-perfect combo!!!!
A couple of Jersey guys,and not the ones on NJ 101.5 either ...

Anyways... At 6 gallons it's broken in. Now you can try a 23x8 and see how you like it. I'm flying mine with a 22x8 Mejz.pull out is ok but I know the low end needs some leaning out.. I'm just about ready to try one of the 23x8 or the Vess 23A.
Ilet my friend who was up from WV. fly it Sunday,he liked it so much he ran it out of fuel for me and had to deadstick from a Harrier Roll !! Good thing this thing floats !! He's a better pilot then I,so it was cool seeing it do the stuff that I can't do so well..

Cya,
Frank

Old 06-09-2009, 02:12 PM
arb6591

Hey Frank,

Yes, we are Jersey guys, actually I am from far away ....I am from Poland but now in NJ over 15 years.

Today I try Mejzlik 22x8 if not better than Xoar22x10 I will try Vess 23A , that is what all guys at Joe Noll taked about for DA50.

I think low end on my DA 50 needs to be also leaned out but I am not good at that, I will let my more experienced buddies adjust it.

You were lucky with that DS landing .... yes, that plane glides for even.
When I have idle set a lttle higher so it does not quit when I am doing some 3D, I have a hard time to land.
I have tried what the big guys do, shut the engine off on landing, worked pretty good except there is no second chance, you better not be overshooting ..LOL

Let me know how Vess 23A did.

Where do you fly?
maybe one day we can get all Jwersey guys together for some flying, would be cool.

Andrzej

Old 06-09-2009, 03:25 PM
xtraflyr

Hey Frank,

Yes, we are Jersey guys, actually I am from far away ....I am from Poland but now in NJ over 15 years.

Today I try Mejzlik 22x8 if not better than Xoar22x10 I will try Vess 23A , that is what all guys at Joe Noll taked about for DA50.

I think low end on my DA 50 needs to be also leaned out but I am not good at that, I will let my more experienced buddies adjust it.

You were lucky with that DS landing .... yes, that plane glides for even.
When I have idle set a lttle higher so it does not quit when I am doing some 3D, I have a hard time to land.
I have tried what the big guys do, shut the engine off on landing, worked pretty good except there is no second chance, you better not be overshooting ..LOL

Let me know how Vess 23A did.

Where do you fly?
maybe one day we can get all Jwersey guys together for some flying, would be cool.

Andrzej

Hello Andrzej,

Ifly up in North Jersey a town called Belvidere...I'm the president of the North Jersey Jumbo Flyers (NJJF). Yes it would be very cool to get us Jerseyians together. My club used to have fun-flys,but we started not having members want to do anything,and the same guys got tired of doing all the work.. So we don't have them anymore..

Once you lean out the low end the idle will be better..Mine idles great even inverted,but I also goose the throttle a little while inverted..

Frank
Old 06-09-2009, 03:32 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes this is an amazing plane. I love mine. DL-50 with a Xoar 22x8 gets me 7400 RPM. No doubt it's close to 30 pounds of thrust.....a total rocket. Floats really well too. The landings are stupid slow. People just laugh when I touch down. They think I'm, showing off when that's just how it lands (very lightly).
Old 06-10-2009, 08:15 AM
arb6591

Hi Frank,

Thanks for reply. I have checked the NJJF site, looked at some pictures but I did not know hich one was you, nice field from what I could tell looking at the pictures.

I have checked Belvidere on Google Maps, it is about 2.5 hrs from where I am.
Maybe we can arrange something in the fall for Jerseyians ( I like that word, it that a real word?, donot forget I am from Poland ...LOL) to get together, I will talk to budddies, you already know
Mixmaster from his posts.

I hear you baout low activity members not wanting to do anything ... sad, I love people who are willing to go and do stuff, I go sometimes by myself of course after work to get to know the plane better and try new things but I prefer flying in a group, more fun than flying alone.
Actually, I would love to try flying formation doing some aerobatics or 3D but there so far there are no guys willing to do that ...LOL, hey, it's the same risk or almost the same when you do 3D anyway..

How do I get to see your stuff on myspace?

I will definitely need to lean out the idle but have to take steps, very small adjustments at a time, I do not want to mess it up.
When I am inverted, DA richens out a lot, I can hear it even having a hearing problem.

Thanks for writing.

Andrzej

Hello Andrzej,

I fly up in North Jersey a town called Belvidere...I'm the president of the North Jersey Jumbo Flyers (NJJF). Yes it would be very cool to get us Jerseyians together. My club used to have fun-flys,but we started not having members want to do anything,and the same guys got tired of doing all the work.. So we don't have them anymore..

Once you lean out the low end the idle will be better..Mine idles great even inverted,but I also goose the throttle a little while inverted..

Frank
Old 06-10-2009, 08:22 AM
arb6591

Joe and all wow gang members ...

Guys, I did the test, I fired up my DA50 with Mejzlik 22x8 and ........ WHAT A DIFFERENCE.

My Yak pulls out of hover now, before it was "thinking' a while before it would pull out, now it is just doing that..... great, that is all I needed to fix.

Thank you all for the suggestions, it worked perfect.

Joe, landings take for ever with a little high idle ( I do not want to have a flame out when I do 3D).
I think I will either set the idle to the highest possible to get it to land OR I will start cutting the throttle off
like the big guys I saw ( Joe Nall 2008, I did not get to go this year)

Andrzej

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Yes this is an amazing plane. I love mine. DL-50 with a Xoar 22x8 gets me 7400 RPM. No doubt it's close to 30 pounds of thrust.....a total rocket. Floats really well too. The landings are stupid slow. People just laugh when I touch down. They think I'm, showing off when that's just how it lands (very lightly).
Old 06-10-2009, 08:35 AM
xtraflyr

Hi Frank,

Thanks for reply. I have checked the NJJF site, looked at some pictures but I did not know hich one was you, nice field from what I could tell looking at the pictures.

I have checked Belvidere on Google Maps, it is about 2.5 hrs from where I am.
Maybe we can arrange something in the fall for Jerseyians ( I like that word, it that a real word?, donot forget I am from Poland ...LOL) to get together, I will talk to budddies, you already know
Mixmaster from his posts.

I hear you baout low activity members not wanting to do anything ... sad, I love people who are willing to go and do stuff, I go sometimes by myself of course after work to get to know the plane better and try new things but I prefer flying in a group, more fun than flying alone.
Actually, I would love to try flying formation doing some aerobatics or 3D but there so far there are no guys willing to do that ...LOL, hey, it's the same risk or almost the same when you do 3D anyway..

How do I get to see your stuff on myspace?

I will definitely need to lean out the idle but have to take steps, very small adjustments at a time, I do not want to mess it up.
When I am inverted, DA richens out a lot, I can hear it even having a hearing problem.

Thanks for writing.

Andrzej

Hello Andrzej,

I fly up in North Jersey a town called Belvidere...I'm the president of the North Jersey Jumbo Flyers (NJJF). Yes it would be very cool to get us Jerseyians together. My club used to have fun-flys,but we started not having members want to do anything,and the same guys got tired of doing all the work.. So we don't have them anymore..

Frank
Hello Andrzej,

For the Myspace,you have to sign up and then request to be my friend to see my pictures etc..

Did you go onto njjf.org or to the njjf.freeforums site? We haven't really been on top of the NJJF.org site with updates. Again when your the only one of the few that does anything,it's hard to keep up with up dates..

Take babysteps with the needles,it's kinda hard if you have no access with the cowl on to get to the needles. Usually 1/8th turn at a time gives better results.

And yes Jerseyians is a real word,not sure if I spelled it correctly or not though!

My family is originally from Czechoslovakia,no that it's split,we're Slovakian. But I don't know any of the language..

I'm going to work on my low end on my Yak today myself probably..

Cya,
Frank

Old 06-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

You guys that are having trouble with your DAs richening up when inverted or just running crappy in the air...it's almost certainly a pressuer related problem. This is especially true on the Yaks because of their great big cowl. It's a very real problem but the solution is pretty easy.

Just take and weld/glue/screw a nipple on the carb diaphram plate. I use the hole that is already there and put the nipple right there. Then I just take a gasline hose and hook to the nipple and vent it out to atomsphere. There are many takes on how to do this and where to vent it to. But, my personal experience seems to have mine work by just venting the tube outside the cowl to atomsphere. I just simply tape it to the landing gear. I know that is not hi tech enough for many people and some don't like the looks of a vent tube hanging down, but it works. And my DAs don't richen up in the air. They run the same upside down or right side up and everywhere else. This is such a common problem that I actually do it on every one of my planes now. But I can tell you the Yaks are the worst. Just to remember how bad it can be, I simply unhook the vent tube and take off. The engine sputters, coughs, quits, loses power and other bad things. Hook the tube up and bingo, good running again.

So rather than deal with a unreliable engine, just hook a vent tube up to it.

I'm still flying my Edge. It's hard for me to go back to the Yak when having so much fun with the Edge and Reactor. But I think I will go out today or tomorrow for a few flights to see if I can get this thing to flat spin. I'm gonna try lessening the throws like many have recommended and see if that will help. On my Edge I was expermenting with that. It does them best with full down, maximum deflection. Stays in them beautiful. But it will do them also with almost zero down elevator. I was frankly a bit surprised. But of course you could never do a rising flat spin without full down elevator. My Reactor is close to doing a rising flat spin. I think with a different prop and a litle work on the sticks and maybe some spoileron the Reactor will do a rising flat spin. If so that will be the first gas plane I've seen do it.

Anyways, I'm gonna try the Yak soon and see if I can get it to do them. It'll be a dull flying plane if I can't get it to do my favorite maneuver.

Thanks Guys for all the input. Nice to have a spot to come to and learn about how to make the awesome Yak better.
Thanks
Barry
Old 06-10-2009, 10:39 AM
JoeAirPort

I like to plumb the vent inside the fuse just in front of the gas tank. I'd be concerned that the wind would affect the tubing down by the gear. But if it worked for you that's great. I also have had to put a velocity stack on one engine to clear up the going rich or lean in certain attitudes. I think many of the DA problems would dissappear if these fixes were tried. Actually not just DA, many gas engines. They don't like air blowing on the carb's.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:41 AM
arb6591

Frank,

You are right, not much activity on NJJF and njjf.freeforums, people are getting lazy I guess ...

Czechoslovakia , he he , that's right over the border with Poland , what a small world.

Yes, definitely baby steps with the niddles, I do have an acces thru the cowl, not easy to acces but it is doable.

I hear more and more about venting carb to the outside or the fuse ...I will see after I adjust engine completely.
If it does not do the job then I might try taht.
My buddy did it but no difference ...

Hello Andrzej,

For the Myspace,you have to sign up and then request to be my friend to see my pictures etc..

Did you go onto njjf.org or to the njjf.freeforums site? We haven't really been on top of the NJJF.org site with updates. Again when your the only one of the few that does anything,it's hard to keep up with up dates..

Take babysteps with the needles,it's kinda hard if you have no access with the cowl on to get to the needles. Usually 1/8th turn at a time gives better results.

And yes Jerseyians is a real word,not sure if I spelled it correctly or not though!

My family is originally from Czechoslovakia,no that it's split,we're Slovakian. But I don't know any of the language..

I'm going to work on my low end on my Yak today myself probably..

Cya,
Frank

Old 06-10-2009, 11:48 AM
arb6591

You guys that are having trouble with your DAs richening up when inverted or just running crappy in the air...it's almost certainly a pressuer related problem. This is especially true on the Yaks because of their great big cowl.
Cowl is definitely big but I was wondering how bad does opening for the radiator affects the pressure problem.
My opening is made very tight, there is maybe 1/8" to 1/4" clearance between the fron plate and engine.
I belive that , the smaler the opening, the less it affects the pressure that carburator "sees"... just thinking.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:08 PM
JoeAirPort

You just never know what's going on inside your cowling. My front was blocked with a louver except for the engine's jug and it still had issues. Tell your buddy to try the velocity stack. That solved mine.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:44 PM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

arb: some guys i fly with set up an idle down on a switch just for landings, thats an idea for you if you want, then it wont die when flying but you can bring it down to land, i usually just bump my trim once or twice, especially on the 1st flight, seems to idle low at 1st, but then by the time its ready to land its higher...anyway figured id mention that as an option, several guys who fly imac with big 40% planes at my field do it that way(idle down), i dont like the killing idea cause your commited at that point, even if you wait till almost touch down, whos to say a gust or thermal or something may make you want to go again....
Old 06-10-2009, 07:26 PM
xtraflyr

You can actually keep the idle very low with the trim and just keep a little throttle until your just about to touch down,then pull the throttle all the way back and be done with it.. Try not to come in with to much altitude. Do a lower approach and just keep giving it a little throttle. Sometime you can come in with to much altitude then you have all that speed to bleed off..

Also once you get the low needle set correctly,you won't have to keep a higher idle for it not to deadstick. What's happening is your motor is loading up with fuel in the cylinder,and you don't have enough spark to keep it combusting.. Once you lean it out your motor you'll see it run a smoother idle and it will sit there and not die. On my Flatspins I do keep a touch of throttle,to keep air over the surfaces.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:49 AM
arb6591

Dave,

The problem with low idle is that I do not know of ways to set the low idle on the switch.
I have Futaba 7C 2.4Ghz and my buddy told me that there is no way to have low idle on the switch.
I could probably use idle cut as a low idle but ..... this way , I could not shut the engine off after I land( I do not have
r/c kill swicth installed)
Now, If I wanted to have a kill switch installed, here is a problem again, no enough channels, I use 1and 6 for ailerons, 2 and 5 for elevator
halves, 3 throttle and 4 rudder.
The 7th channel is on common with battery and I do not know if it is safe to use for anything.
I could use Y on the ailerons, idle cut working as idle down and kill switch on channel 6 .....
What do you guys think?

I do not like the killing idea too much either , like you said, there is no another chance, if there is no wind gusts , I can land prettyy close
to wherever I want to but again if the gust hits the plane and you want to go again ......

Andrzej

ORIGINAL: diamondave

arb: some guys i fly with set up an idle down on a switch just for landings, thats an idea for you if you want, then it wont die when flying but you can bring it down to land, i usually just bump my trim once or twice, especially on the 1st flight, seems to idle low at 1st, but then by the time its ready to land its higher...anyway figured id mention that as an option, several guys who fly imac with big 40% planes at my field do it that way(idle down), i dont like the killing idea cause your commited at that point, even if you wait till almost touch down, whos to say a gust or thermal or something may make you want to go again....
Old 06-11-2009, 07:52 AM
arb6591

Joe,

Could you point me to the explanation of velocity stack?
I think it was an explanation here in the thread but it is so huge that I might never find it.

My front is blocked with a louver except for the engine's head also.

I might experiment with velocity stack after I understand the idea.

Andrzej

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

You just never know what's going on inside your cowling. My front was blocked with a louver except for the engine's jug and it still had issues. Tell your buddy to try the velocity stack. That solved mine.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:58 AM
arb6591

Frank,

Yes, I could do that but then the idea of having high idle for 3D goes to hell.
I want the higher idle all the time while flying and only low idle on landing.

I agree on the fact that after you set up low end, deadstick is less likely but .... it can quit while inverted or in inverted spin and I am done ..

I think that low idle on the switch that Dave mentioned would be my choice if I could get it set on my radio ....

Andrzej

ORIGINAL: xtraflyr

You can actually keep the idle very low with the trim and just keep a little throttle until your just about to touch down,then pull the throttle all the way back and be done with it.. Try not to come in with to much altitude. Do a lower approach and just keep giving it a little throttle. Sometime you can come in with to much altitude then you have all that speed to bleed off..

Also once you get the low needle set correctly,you won't have to keep a higher idle for it not to deadstick. What's happening is your motor is loading up with fuel in the cylinder,and you don't have enough spark to keep it combusting.. Once you lean it out your motor you'll see it run a smoother idle and it will sit there and not die. On my Flatspins I do keep a touch of throttle,to keep air over the surfaces.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:10 AM
xtraflyr

Andrzej,

How about setting your idle trim higher when your flying and doing 3D, then when it's time to land just pull the idle trim lever down to the low idle? You should be able to tell on the ground how low your idle will stay for landing.. Unless you have a digital throttle trim lever,I hate that on the throttle,it's hard to tell where your idle was set before. I have my low idle set when my trim lever is below half way. Ithought that's how alot of guys do it,maybe it's just me??

Frank..

Frank,

Yes, I could do that but then the idea of having high idle for 3D goes to hell.
I want the higher idle all the time while flying and only low idle on landing.

I agree on the fact that after you set up low end, deadstick is less likely but .... it can quit while inverted or in inverted spin and I am done ..

I think that low idle on the switch that Dave mentioned would be my choice if I could get it set on my radio ....

Andrzej

ORIGINAL: xtraflyr

Old 06-11-2009, 08:13 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

I have the Futaba T7C on my EF-88. Got an electronic kill switch too.

Ailerons on 1 & 6
Elevators on 2&5
Engine kill on 7 programmed to the snap roll switch. I also programmed a throttle cut to same channel so that when I kill the engine the spark and fuel are both turned off. Kind of a redundancy.

I have the smart fly switch so two power leads to the receiver. Use a quality HD Y and have a Y to CH7 and Ch 4. It is personal choice where you put the Y or Y's (in my case) I chose the rudder so the current would be right there for the strongest servo in my plane. I also chose the throttle cut off as the least affordable thing to lose in the case of a Y failure.

For high idle I blip the throttle trim 3-4 times just after takeoff and when I want to land I blip it down the same amount.

Richard
Old 06-11-2009, 08:16 AM

I also have the Velocity stacks on my website for $3.99 plus .99 cents shipping for one.

The trims are digital so you have to count the blips...pretty easy really.

R
Old 06-11-2009, 08:18 AM

One more thing about the engine kill. I use the first style 42% Products and must unplug my ignition battery at the end of the day or else it will drain it dead in about three days. Maybe it is just me... Pretty easy though, first flight of the day....plug it in....last flight...unplug.

R
Old 06-11-2009, 11:32 AM
arb6591

Thank you all for the input.

I might go with Frank's advice for now, my radio is has digital trims but maybe I can into the habit of clicking 3-4 times up on the throttle for flying and then click back for landing...

I would like to get more info on velocity stacks Richard is selling, where do I get some explanation on it?

Richard, how do I program the kill switch on CH4 with Y split to snap roll switch?

Thank you all for the input, it is really nice when people are trying to help.

Andrzej

Old 06-11-2009, 12:45 PM
JoeAirPort

I would like to get more info on velocity stacks Richard is selling, where do I get some explanation on it?

Thank you all for the input, it is really nice when people are trying to help.

Andrzej

The velocity stack "straightens out" the turbulant air in the cowling and makes it mix more consitently with the fuel. You'll then get the same mixture no matter what goofy things are happening with turbulant air in the cowling. This will make your power delivery more consistant.

Just order one for $3 from ValleyviewRC.com. Talk to Jodi. It totally cleaned up the fuel spitting out of the carb. The engine box is totally dry all the time now. You do need a hole in your firewall for the velocity stack to go through.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

What I do on idle is:

I have a landing idle that I set while on the ground.  Then I wrote a program mix called "throttle to throttle".  I'm not certain if the 7C will allow you to write a mix.  But if it will, After you've set your lowest idle (landing idle) just select a switch and write the mix to increase the idle a little bit.  I usually use 12%.  Than when you throw the switch it increases your idle.  That becomes my flying idle.  Works great.  It has cut my deadstick to zero.  When I want to land, I just flip the switcht to the landing idle and land.  I have a seperate throttle kill switch as well. 

This is really very simple if your radio will allow even one mix.

Thanks

Barry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.