Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 04:21 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

ORIGINAL: xtraflyr

I'm pretty sure a few fly-in's require you to have some sort of kill switch for your gasser too..

Well.... there is a little one in the spring at Triple Tree aerodrome that does........

Old 06-12-2009, 05:32 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

ORIGINAL: xtraflyr

I'm pretty sure a few fly-in's require you to have some sort of kill switch for your gasser too..

Well.... there is a little one in the spring at Triple Tree aerodrome that does........

Sounds familier..but I just can't place it..HHMMMMM??

Old 06-14-2009, 04:13 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Took out my Yak today. Wow it just gets better and better. I love this plane and I'm glad I have a back up sitting on my ping pong table. Ever fly this thing in no wind? What a treat. Harrier ovals and figure 8's 5 feet off the deck. This plane rocks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15159.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1218131  
Old 06-16-2009, 07:56 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Well....after flights 19, 20 and 21 today I've decided to give up on this plane. I have several others that, simply put, fly better than this one. With all the RAH, RAH, RAH on this forum I figured this would really be something special. I've never been able to get it to fly as good as my QQ. And the Edges are quite a bit more fun to fly for me.

Anyways, it's a nice flying airplane but I really don't think it's all that special. I set it up with the best equipment I could find and have nursed it through 20 flights (my minimum before I make a final determination on the airplane) and I've decided this plane is just average and I have several others that I like to fly quite a bit more.

So........I'm giving this one away and not looking back. I have enjoyed all the input on this forum and the banter about how good this plane is. But it's not for me.

Good luck to you guys....

Thanks
Barry
Old 06-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Barry Cazier

Duplicate post sorry.

Thanks
Barry
Old 06-16-2009, 09:24 PM
JoeAirPort

Wow Barry. That sort of shocks me because I like mine so much. Hmmm. And I sold my Edge to get this Yak go figure (and am happy with the decision). Well not everything is for everybody and we will miss you here. By the way are you just being funny by posting starting with a smile or is your editor got a bug....wait I gotta go back and add a smile to the start of this post.....there.

I'm sure we'll see you around.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:49 PM
xtraflyr

ORIGINAL: Barry Cazier

Well....after flights 19, 20 and 21 today I've decided to give up on this plane. I have several others that, simply put, fly better than this one. With all the RAH, RAH, RAH on this forum I figured this would really be something special. I've never been able to get it to fly as good as my QQ. And the Edges are quite a bit more fun to fly for me.

Anyways, it's a nice flying airplane but I really don't think it's all that special. I set it up with the best equipment I could find and have nursed it through 20 flights (my minimum before I make a final determination on the airplane) and I've decided this plane is just average and I have several others that I like to fly quite a bit more.

So........I'm giving this one away and not looking back. I have enjoyed all the input on this forum and the banter about how good this plane is. But it's not for me.

Good luck to you guys....

Thanks
Barry
Well I guess we're allowed to have at least one Unsatisfied owner(Well EF doesn't want any unsatisfied customers) out of the bunch that are flying them and are loving them so... You'll sell it quick I'm sure...

Ok take care Barry.. I'm sure we'll be seeing you around RCU!!

Frank..

Old 06-16-2009, 10:09 PM
Barry Cazier

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

By the way are you just being funny by posting starting with a smile or is your editor got a bug....

just always started my posts with a smiley....just like them, not trying to be funny.

Oh, I'm not selling the Yak....I'm giving it away. Makes me feel good to do that. Helps people in the club etc. Sometimes it goes to people who couldn't otherwise afford this plane. Anyways, part of the fun for me.

Thanks
Barry
Old 06-16-2009, 10:10 PM
Barry Cazier

By the way are you just being funny by posting starting with a smile or is your editor got a bug....

just always started my posts with a smiley....just like them, not trying to be funny.

Oh, I'm not selling the Yak....I'm giving it away. Makes me feel good to do that. Helps people in the club etc. Sometimes it goes to people who couldn't otherwise afford this plane. Anyways, part of the fun for me.

Thanks
Barry
Old 06-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Barry Cazier

Thanks
Barry
Old 06-16-2009, 10:15 PM
Barry Cazier

Not sure what's going on with my posting tonight.  Seems everything is going very very slow and posting double and triple.

Sorry

Barry

Old 06-16-2009, 10:26 PM
Barry Cazier

Wow Barry. That sort of shocks me because I like mine so much. Hmmm. And I sold my Edge to get this Yak go figure (and am happy with the decision). Well not everything is for everybody and we will miss you here. By the way are you just being funny by posting starting with a smile or is your editor got a bug....wait I gotta go back and add a smile to the start of this post.....there.

Joe,
Just curious...in what way do you feel this Yak flys better than your Edge?
I must set my planes up very similar. This Yak was my 11th gas airplane. I would say that the all fly almost the same. There are a few things unique to each one but over all they are very similar. My main beef with the EF Yak is it won't do a good flat spin. All my other planes do they better.
Most impressive things this plane does is Harriers and Hovers. KE is good but requires more coupling than some.
Anyways, I look at planes very objectively and try to tell it as I see it. I don't cloud with emotion. I fly my AeroWorks Yak exactly one time and gave it to the first guy I say at the field. I took the receiver out and gave him everything else. I just knew it wouldn't be a plane I'd like. It was too heavy and had a high wing loading and was underpowered for my elevation. So...I just didn't want to put the effort into.

I'm not a dissatisfied customer. This was my 2nd EF plane. I feel it is a good plane. just not better than everything else. They're are a lot of "equals" out there. QQ Yak, Wild Hare Edge, Air Wild Extra and Sukhoi just to name a few.

Anyways...I like to try different planes.

thanks
Barry
Old 06-16-2009, 10:49 PM
JoeAirPort

-Yak is more neutral and does better rolling manuevers, especially 4 point rolls...and just rolls more axial in general.
-It's light and it's huge. It floats. Landings are a blast, so slow. Lower wing loading.
-Knife edge is incredible. Way less rudder required than Edge. Much more side area than Edge. I love to knife and nothing does it like this one. It has much less coupling than the Edge. in knife edge.
-Hovering is very stable and easy. A little easier than the Edge.
-Yak does take getting used to inverted flat spins. Need no aileron once it's flat. Does them awesome....all the way down no problem.
-Because it's so much bigger it flies bigger so things happen a liottle slower. I like that.

I just like Yaks I guess. Especially this one. Don't miss the Edge. I have the Extreme Flight Extra and I like the Yak a lot more. I like them both more than the Edge...and it was a great Edge (PAU).

Old 06-16-2009, 11:28 PM
xtraflyr

Damn I wish I was in your club to possibly get one of your new planes that you don't like !!
Old 06-16-2009, 11:53 PM
Barry Cazier

Joe,
All good points, but I can't let the wing loading go unnoticed. You said your Yak weighed about the same as mine. Mine weight 17lbs 9ozs. That gives it a wing loading of 27.9 ozs. My Edge was about 1lbs lighter, 15ozs to be exact and that brings it's wing loading to 27.55ozs. My Edge has alighter wing loading.

I typically like Yaks also.I've had the QQ, (2) EF, TOC 33%, and an AeroWorks. Of the bunch the TOC was the least quality at least concerning fit and finish, but it was the best flyer. It would do a fantastic flat spin and had less KEcoupling than the others. It had the DA 85 in it. Obviously I liked the AeroWorks the least even though I'd rate it as the highest quality as far as building and ease of build. It just weighed to much for me.

xtraflyr,,,,

Sorry you don't live closer as well. This Yak is already gone. I gave it to Steve also here on RCU. He's a good guy and the best flyer around our parts. I wish him the best luck with it. So...I'll probably get to see it in action once in a while. I wish you'd of spoken up earlier....I'd have shipped it to you...but they are hard to ship.

Thanks
Barry

Old 06-17-2009, 06:09 AM
xtraflyr

Joe,
All good points, but I can't let the wing loading go unnoticed. You said your Yak weighed about the same as mine. Mine weight 17lbs 9ozs. That gives it a wing loading of 27.9 ozs. My Edge was about 1lbs lighter, 15ozs to be exact and that brings it's wing loading to 27.55ozs. My Edge has alighter wing loading.

I typically like Yaks also.I've had the QQ, (2) EF, TOC 33%, and an AeroWorks. Of the bunch the TOC was the least quality at least concerning fit and finish, but it was the best flyer. It would do a fantastic flat spin and had less KEcoupling than the others. It had the DA 85 in it. Obviously I liked the AeroWorks the least even though I'd rate it as the highest quality as far as building and ease of build. It just weighed to much for me.

xtraflyr,,,,

Sorry you don't live closer as well. This Yak is already gone. I gave it to Steve also here on RCU. He's a good guy and the best flyer around our parts. I wish him the best luck with it. So...I'll probably get to see it in action once in a while. I wish you'd of spoken up earlier....I'd have shipped it to you...but they are hard to ship.

Thanks
Barry

RCU was having problems on my side,very slow to post and such..

If you happen to buy the EF 110"Yak and don't like it and want to give it away,I'll take it off your hands !!!

Cya,
Frank..

Old 06-17-2009, 08:11 AM
Barry Cazier

xtraflyr...
I'm having problems posting also. Several of my posts ended up double or triple. I wasn't trying to make any special point, it was just a problem with RCU, I guess.

I may try the 110 Yak. Ya neva know>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I'm not sure what engine I'd run in it at my elevation. Still considering that. And....when I decide to get rid of it...if it isn't crashed (sometimes that how I get rid of them) I'll gladly give it to you. We have to work out the details of shipment, not sure how I'd box one of those already assembled, but I'd figure out something. I have shipped a 50CC plane before and had it arrive safely.

Thanks
Barry
Old 06-17-2009, 10:09 AM
cjcyclesrc
My Feedback: (10)

Barry,

Sorry to hear you gave up on your yak. It disappoints me that you didn't like the plane I recommended for you to replace your QQ. I've flown most of the other planes you have and prefer the Yak myself. I found the 88" WH Edge to couple much more than the Yak myself. To me the 88" Yak flys more like a larger plane. It's the size of most 33% or 75cc planes. I had been flying a 15lb 87" Yak when I got my 88" Yak. After the first few flightsI liked the 87" better. After I got used to the way the 88" flew I flew my 87" Yak again. I had a totally different feeling about the 87" after that. I sold it shortly after. I liked the 88" so much I got on the waiting list as soon as there was news of a 100cc. The 110" Yak flys very much like the 88". It just seems a little floatier and presents much bigger. Wing loading is only part of what goes into the way a plane flys. Compare the Cubic loading of the two planes. That is where the 88" Yak blows everything else out of the water. The 88" Yak will do nice flat spins, but it may require learning a little different technique than you are used to. I can definitely understand you getting frustrated with all the motor trouble you had. Something likethat will give you a bad taste in your mouth. Not everyone wants the same thing from a plane and you are one of the few I heard ofthat wasn't Wowed by the Yak.I'm glad you found a plane that you like.
Have fun! Hopefully we'll meet up somewhere and get to fly together. If you go to the Joe Nall next year be sure to look me up.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Barry Cazier

The motor trouble does make things worse. I will say that every time I flew the Yak the engine ran flawless. But after 5 flights the engine just wouldn't start, or it cracked the back of the engine or something. 5 flights and it's done. But during the flights it was great. I love the power it had. Anyways, I still have a BME that doesn't run, but I'm sending it in for repair. The one in the Yak I'm giving to Steve. He's somewhat of an engine GURU and hopefully he'll get it running right. I was just lamenting that yesterday I did some very extended and low (for me, under 10') hovers. I was really enjoying that. This plane does hover extremely well.

Anyways, it would be neat to meet many of the people I've met here on RCU. I rarely go anywhere it seems, but I may have to go to one of these National events (Joe Nall). It would probably be neat and I'l bet I could meet a lot ot the people on here. That would be fun. Where is the Nall and when?

Thanks
Barry
Old 06-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Barry Cazier

cjcyclesrc.
What do you mean "Cubic Loading"? I do not understand that term.
Is this something else I'm gonna have to learn about?!?!?!?!??!?

Thanks
Barry
Old 06-17-2009, 10:56 AM
ArcherIIDriver

Hey Barry Clause...
Sorry the 88"er didn't work out for you. I don't have enough time on mine to make that determination yet, but I will say that there were a few issues with the build that I feel I souldn't have had to deal with (primarily stab incidence and pull-pull exits in the wrong spots). Nothing that can't be fixed...but I had high expecations of quality & wasn't expecting to have to fix things.

So far, I love the way this plane looks in the air and it floats like nobody's business. Unfortunately, I can't say that Iexperienced theWOW at first flight. However, I'm sure that with some tweaking I'm gonna love the plane. IMHO, this is THE best looking Yak on the market. And I love the fact that every time I take it to the field I get asked "That's a single??? Is it an 85cc??". I just laugh and tell 'em it's a DL-50. I love that thisYak is so much bigger than other 50cc planes.

Oh, and I would be happy to receive any of your unwanted, receiver ready gas planes
Old 06-17-2009, 11:36 AM
cjcyclesrc

cjcyclesrc.
What do you mean "Cubic Loading"? I do not understand that term.
Is this something else I'm gonna have to learn about?!?!?!?!??!?

Thanks
Barry

Cubic loading is the Volume of Air the airframe occupies/ weight. When you think about it the fuselage also provides lift. Think about flying in a knife edge. the sq/in of the wing has little affect on that. That is why the Yak has such a floaty feel. The fuselage is huge. Also think about a hover the wing area doesn’t have a lot of effect there either. What I have found is that in maneuvers like a harrier roll the big fuselage makes the plane not tend to loose as much lift when you roll up on it's side. It takes some getting used to. When I was learning to harrier roll I found myself giving too much rudder with the Yak. I found it takes very little rudder while harrier rolling. It's great now that I’m used to it, because you can dig into the controls and get out of the throttle and the Yak will do a nice falling harrier roll without dropping the nose. The big fuselage makes the yak have a locked in feel in a harrier, they track very well in an inverted harrier. The right thrust of the motor actually works against you when you’re doing inverted harriers. The yak is very good about overcoming the pull to the right with a little left rudder. I've flown some planes that sucked at it. One plane I flew would pull hard to the right in the bottom and pull up of a waterfall. You could bury the rudder to the left and the plane would yaw to the right. This is probably what you are noticing different when you go to do a flat spin. The Yak is a very stable in an inverted harrier. This will make it very easy for it to fly out of the flat spin and a little easier to loose a flat spin if you are not flying the plane through the maneuver. I will bring my 110" Yak down close to the ground in an inverted flat spin and add some left rudder and it will transition into an inverted harrier smooth as silk. Everything is a trade off. The more prone the plane is to spinby it's selfthe more it's going to try to spin when you don't want it to.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:02 PM
cjcyclesrc

Barry,

The Joe Nall is in South Carolina during the middle of May. It's about a 1100 mile drive for me. http://www.joenall.com/

Archer,

Are you going to the Fort Bend 3D Fly-in on the 27th of this month? I'm planning on going.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:17 PM
JoeAirPort

I forgot to add that this thing knife edges like no other plane I have flown. It's incredible.

Barry, I bet we fly at different elevations. I'm at 800 feet ASL so maybe that makes it fly lighter? You're in mountain country right? I think I remember you having an Airwild Edge? I bet at 15 pounds it flew nice.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:23 PM
ArcherIIDriver

Charles - I'm sure I will at least stop by for a few hours.  May or may not bring the yak...need to find some time to fly it some more & work out some bugs before I bring it to an event.  Thanks for reminding me...I'd forgotten that was coming up!  I'll definitely look for you there. (don't forget your sling-shot repellent)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.