Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Old 01-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Gatorb8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

mine with Da85 is 19 lbs even, flys great
Old 01-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Hey do any of you guys that have or have had a 74 inch Yak have extra landing gear that you would like to get rid of?

Please let me know.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:42 PM
lokiyawl
My Feedback: (10)

Richard,

Well, I actually just converted my 74" to carbon gear so I might be able to help. What color are you looking for?

James

ORIGINAL: Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway

Hey do any of you guys that have or have had a 74 inch Yak have extra landing gear that you would like to get rid of?

Please let me know.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:58 PM
lokiyawl

Hello!

My two Yellow and Black 88" Yaks arrived today! I could not believe how large the boxes are! The cowl and fuselage absolutely dwarfs my 74". I did not realize that the canopy on the 88" was secured by bolts? That will make battery changes a bit more of a task... My 74" has a nifty latch on top, maybe this was not strong enough to hold the HUGE canopy on my 88's? The finish is beautiful..I am really looking forward to getting this one together but I think that work is going to have to be front row and center for a few more weeks at least. I should be able to put a little time to the build during some evenings though.

Question: I read somewhere back in this, or maybe it was on the 110" thread that the supplied hinges are Robart copies and that the real Robarts have better hinge pins..is this true and if so should I order the Robart hinges? Regardless of which ones I use, I plan to trim them to length so that there is a lot of the hinge sticking through the wood. I did this on my 74" Yaks and while the little bits of plastic seem small, they add up to a bit of weight when added all together.

I really like the carbon ring inside the cowl..a great place to have some extra reinforcement! I expected the fuselage to be heavier than it actually is. The construction seems to be more refined than on the 74". The wing tube is unbelieveable... I am betting that no one has ever broken one of those in the air! Am I right?

Thanks for all of the help from everyone in getting me to this point...hopefully I will be flying this bird by mid Feb. when work eases up.

James
Old 01-04-2010, 09:36 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

Congrats James !! Told you it was BIG!! I used the hinges that came with mine and their just about ready to be replaced remember this one is a few years old now !

For the Canopy maybe if you used 2 quick release (one on each side)of the Canopy,maybe that would be enough to hold it on. Mine is only on with 2 bolts and they come out in a few seconds,not as fast as the latch,but still not that bad...

Definitely take care of the Job first,since their few and far between these days! I'm still waiting to hear that the Edges are in..
I'm sitting on the "EDGE"of my seat waiting!

Frank..
ORIGINAL: lokiyawl

Hello!

My two Yellow and Black 88'' Yaks arrived today! I could not believe how large the boxes are! The cowl and fuselage absolutely dwarfs my 74''. I did not realize that the canopy on the 88'' was secured by bolts? That will make battery changes a bit more of a task... My 74'' has a nifty latch on top, maybe this was not strong enough to hold the HUGE canopy on my 88's? The finish is beautiful..I am really looking forward to getting this one together but I think that work is going to have to be front row and center for a few more weeks at least. I should be able to put a little time to the build during some evenings though.

Question: I read somewhere back in this, or maybe it was on the 110'' thread that the supplied hinges are Robart copies and that the real Robarts have better hinge pins..is this true and if so should I order the Robart hinges? Regardless of which ones I use, I plan to trim them to length so that there is a lot of the hinge sticking through the wood. I did this on my 74'' Yaks and while the little bits of plastic seem small, they add up to a bit of weight when added all together.

I really like the carbon ring inside the cowl..a great place to have some extra reinforcement! I expected the fuselage to be heavier than it actually is. The construction seems to be more refined than on the 74''. The wing tube is unbelieveable... I am betting that no one has ever broken one of those in the air! Am I right?

Thanks for all of the help from everyone in getting me to this point...hopefully I will be flying this bird by mid Feb. when work eases up.

James

Old 01-04-2010, 10:10 PM
lokiyawl

Frank,

Yes you did tell me that the 88" was big but I guess that one just has to see one in person to really know! Hinge replacement does not sound like it would be too much fun. Do you cut off the old ones and drill all new holes? I forgot to mention that the throws on all of the controls looks to be a lot more than on my 74". Maybe the bevels are a different angle, I am not sure, I was just flexing the unbonded surfaces and noted that the movements were huge.

I will send Curtis an email and see if he has any ideas for a quicker release on the canopy, otherwise I will just find a tool that will make removal a bit faster.

And yes, taking care of the job has to be pretty high priority right now, both with the way things are and because of the shopping list I still have to finish this Yak! (grin)

My fingers are crossed that you soon get news that your new Edge is on it's way.. don't let the anticipation push you over the Edge. (grin)

Congrats James !! Told you it was BIG!! I used the hinges that came with mine and their just about ready to be replaced remember this one is a few years old now !

For the Canopy maybe if you used 2 quick release (one on each side)of the Canopy,maybe that would be enough to hold it on. Mine is only on with 2 bolts and they come out in a few seconds,not as fast as the latch,but still not that bad...

Definitely take care of the Job first,since their few and far between these days! I'm still waiting to hear that the Edges are in..
I'm sitting on the "EDGE"of my seat waiting!

Frank..
Old 01-05-2010, 09:21 AM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

i had no probolems with the stock hinges on this one or the 110....
Old 01-05-2010, 10:46 AM

I did the dab of vaseline on the hinge point for epoxy and in the long run it attracted small particles of dirt.....then there was some black stuff in the hinge that looks like oxidation after about 8 or 10 months....still the hinges held for the two years I had it.

Best way IMO is to get a bottle of Pacer Hinge Glue with water cleanup, don't oil the hinge and.....fly it like you stole it...
Old 01-05-2010, 05:54 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Robart hinge points are a little better IMO. The hinges have a little less play in them. Tell you the truth both work but I'd do it with Robarts if I did it again. I have a big bag of Robarts that I have for backups in case the EF ones are cut too short (the EF ones are cut too short for my tastes on the stabs). My two year old Extra has some play in the stab hinges. Rudder too.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:03 PM
xtraflyr

I've been using the Pacer Hinge glue with great results for years. It dries quickly and holds strong,then when you seal the hinge it's not coming apart.. I'll try leaving off the lube next time,and see how it goes.

PS I got the word today that the Blue/Yellow EF 88" Edge I asked them to save for me is in !!![sm=spinnyeyes.gif] I got home to late to call them with my CC number. First thing tomorrow when they open I hope to contact them !! WOOHOO!!

Frank
Old 01-05-2010, 06:59 PM
JoeAirPort

Frank you lucky bastage !!! Can't wait to see the build.

Here's some pic's of the Robarts and 2 EF hinge points side by side. As you can see there's are gaps in the EF hinges (right). Robarts are very tight (left). You can push and pull on the EF ones and feel a tiny bit of play in the hinge (they are brand new never used). The Robarts nothing.

Again not bashing EF, but the guy did ask so I am just providing some info. I'm a total EF lifer in case you guys don't know already.

Frank I'm a fan of Pacer too. The stuff is so easy to clean up but boy beware, it sets up much faster than 30 minute epoxy. With Pacer it's best to apply the glue very fast and push the two sides together asap. It's awesome glue.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68205.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1350166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26747.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1350167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50625.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	1350168  
Old 01-05-2010, 07:11 PM
xtraflyr

Yeah Joe that's how I do it. I pre fit everything,put glue on everything,slide it together clean up with water and hold it together with tape.

My Edge build will go really slow since I don't have the extra money for all the 7955's right away. I ordered the Power safe 9ch Specktrum RX, 2 Spectrum 7.4v 2000mah Lipo's and I have one 7955 for now. The Yak will be retired for a little bit until I get the money for a new motor for the Edge,I'm stealing the DA and the Tuned Pipe from the Yak..

Lee Morey did a nice build thread you can find it here,http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...6&goto=newpost
insert f l y i n g g i a n t s.com

Frank
Old 01-05-2010, 07:30 PM
JoeAirPort

I like your radio setup. I use Spektrum too. The Lipos are very light I bet. Are they more than 3 oz each?
Old 01-05-2010, 08:44 PM
lokiyawl

Joe,

Thanks for your input on the hinges. My two 74" planes have the stock hinges in them and I have something over 400 flights between the two planes and the hinges are all tight so far. On my 88" however I am going to take your suggestion and use the Robarts, it's not much money and I think that my 88" is going to be flown a LOT! I was carefully examining the stock hinges and even new they seem to have a little slop in them.

My thoughts on the hinge length is that they should slightly protrude through the wood on the inside. I use a tool to check the thickness of the wood at the holes and then cut my hinges a touch longer. I also sand my hinges to roughen them for the glue and then acetone.

James
ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

The Robart hinge points are a little better IMO. The hinges have a little less play in them. Tell you the truth both work but I'd do it with Robarts if I did it again. I have a big bag of Robarts that I have for backups in case the EF ones are cut too short (the EF ones are cut too short for my tastes on the stabs). My two year old Extra has some play in the stab hinges. Rudder too.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:51 PM
lokiyawl

Frank,

Congratulations on the new Edge! Getting a new plane is an exciting time. Let us know what you think of it when you get it.

James

ORIGINAL: xtraflyr

I've been using the Pacer Hinge glue with great results for years. It dries quickly and holds strong,then when you seal the hinge it's not coming apart.. I'll try leaving off the lube next time,and see how it goes.

PS I got the word today that the Blue/Yellow EF 88'' Edge I asked them to save for me is in !!![sm=spinnyeyes.gif] I got home to late to call them with my CC number. First thing tomorrow when they open I hope to contact them !! WOOHOO!!

Frank
Old 01-05-2010, 09:38 PM
xtraflyr

I like your radio setup. I use Spektrum too. The Lipos are very light I bet. Are they more than 3 oz each?
Just looked it up your close Joe...3.3oz. ea.!
Old 01-05-2010, 10:14 PM
JoeAirPort

Man that's a lot of juice for only 6.6 oz: 4000 mah !!!! You could charge and go out flying for two days. I like that setup even more now. I could actually use those batt's on my AR7000 and 7955 setup on my Yak.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:47 PM
xtraflyr

Man that's a lot of juice for only 6.6 oz: 4000 mah !!!! You could charge and go out flying for two days. I like that setup even more now. I could actually use those batt's on my AR7000 and 7955 setup on my Yak.
Plus no Regs either..those 7955 should be a beast at that voltage !!
Old 01-05-2010, 10:52 PM
JoeAirPort

Fast and loads of torque. What about the throttle servo? Can that handle the Lipos?
Old 01-05-2010, 11:17 PM
xtraflyr

Fast and loads of torque. What about the throttle servo? Can that handle the Lipos?
I might need another 7955 for that or just get one of those Spektrum regs that's very light and use that on the throttle channel.It will still be lighter then using two regs, and two switches using the Lipo's, and the other servos will still kick butt !! I'll have to ask what Lee Morey did for his throttle servo ..
Old 01-05-2010, 11:17 PM
lokiyawl

Joe,

Yup, Lipos have revolutionized a lot of things, laptops, cellphones etc. Some people even use them to power their planes! (grin) We are living in good times, the affordable technology that we can put into our models was not even dreamed about 20 years ago... My 7955's came in today..333 ounces of torque, 65 grams total weight, digital with Titanium gears for $86..that is pretty amazing to me.. Things keep getting lighter, more powerful and cheaper...

James

[/quote]
Old 01-05-2010, 11:25 PM
xtraflyr

Joe,

Yup, Lipos have revolutionized a lot of things, laptops, cellphones etc. Some people even use them to power their planes! (grin) We are living in good times, the affordable technology that we can put into our models was not even dreamed about 20 years ago... My 7955's came in today..333 ounces of torque, 65 grams total weight, digital with Titanium gears for $86..that is pretty amazing to me.. Things keep getting lighter, more powerful and cheaper...

James

[/quote]
Even my LHS sells me the 7955 for $95ea. which is still cheaper then Horizon sells them for.. I may check with Chief when I'm ready for more servos... That's 333 on 6 voltson 7.4 YEE HAA!!
Old 01-05-2010, 11:34 PM
lokiyawl

I couldn't find a 7955 You Tube video but check out the speed of this JR servo on 7.5 volts! Insane!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yoc4i5cW2Fc

I read some Hitec responses about running some of their other smaller servos on 7.4 volts and they said that it would work but that the servo motor life would be shortened. I am sure that more HV servos will soon be available.

James
Even my LHS sells me the 7955 for $95ea. which is still cheaper then Horizon sells them for.. I may check with Chief when I'm ready for more servos... That's 333 on 6 voltson 7.4 YEE HAA!!
[/quote]
Old 01-05-2010, 11:42 PM
xtraflyr

I couldn't find a 7955 You Tube video but check out the speed of this JR servo on 7.5 volts! Insane!

I read some Hitec responses about running some of their other smaller servos on 7.4 volts and they said that it would work but that the servo motor life would be shortened. I am sure that more HV servos will soon be available.

James
[/quote]
Holy Crap!! I'll need to use like 150 for my EXPO value !!hahaha!!
Old 01-06-2010, 05:38 AM

Nice video, got an idea....put a 26cc motor on your Yak and augment with Flapper Power!!! Should be around 15 pounds.

James
[/quote]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.