Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 08:55 AM
tashley
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Hotdam, I'm number one, or close to it, on the May shipment!
Old 03-30-2007, 09:02 AM
vfalcon7

Just wondering where everyone is running the antenna. Inside or Out?
Old 03-30-2007, 09:07 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: vfalcon7

I put mine inside right down the center, Range check is just fine.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:26 AM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

OK Dave, here' a question:

If I am using Hitec 5955 all around on a DX7, SmartFly ignition kill, is there any part of the istallation that needs to be regulated.

I heard these Hitecs can take 7.4V rather well. I also heard the DX can take the voltage.

I will regulate the separate DA ignition to stay around 5.8V.

Which throttle servo can I get that will take this voltage as well? IS the whole thing going to buzz like crazy because of the voltage?
Old 03-30-2007, 09:30 AM
Mokken
My Feedback: (63)

ORIGINAL: yarom

If I am using Hitec 5955 all around on a DX7, SmartFly ignition kill, is there any part of the istallation that needs to be regulated.

I heard these Hitecs can take 7.4V rather well. I also heard the DX can take the voltage.

Which throttle servo can I get that will take this voltage as well? IS the whole thing going to buzz like crazy because of the voltage?
I think you have to use all 5955's even on the throttle if you want to run unregulated power. Chris was out at my field last Friday and I didn't hear anything different with his setup.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:31 AM
Mokken

ORIGINAL: vfalcon7

Ran mine down inside the left part of the fuse, other side has the elevator extensions. I had no problems... The little hole in each former makes that very easy.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:44 AM
EAGLE PILOT
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Maudib

Great! Thanks for sharing back with us... I've got a Brillelli 36 coming witht eh new ignition... and that kittke ridbit will be put to use there with a small lion/lipo...
Hey Maudib! Are you going to use that Brillelli 36 on the EF 74" Yak? I think that would be a great combo!
Old 03-30-2007, 09:53 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Yarom... as Mokken said... the throttle servo is your caveat... if you use a 5955 on the throttle too, then yep, you're O.K. No buzzing (any more than a regulated setup)

I do like the SmartFly regs... the failsafe switch and dual receiver power inputs make it worth it... You have to have a switch anyway... and this sin't that much more weight...

Still as soon as they offer a small throttle servo that will take the unregualted lion/lipoly juice... I may have to try it out... )

Vincent... I run a Spektrum AR7000 receiver in mine... don't have to worry about running the antenna...

Eagle... I think so... I'm trying out some tuned pipes on the 74" and 1.60FX.... but either it will get the 36 later... or I do have a Giant UCanDo I thought it might be good for too...
Old 03-30-2007, 10:22 AM
RodSmith

When you refer 7.4 volts, which battery are you using? I am asking because I would like to run without any regulators but don't want to fry my servos and/or receiver. I will be running li ion and they start out at over 8 volts on a full charge. The Hitec site specifies 4.8 to 6 volts for the 5955's. Thanks for any clarification.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Mokken

ORIGINAL: RodSmith

When you refer 7.4 volts, which battery are you using? I am asking because I would like to run without any regulators but don't want to fry my servos and/or receiver. I will be running li ion and they start out at over 8 volts on a full charge. The Hitec site specifies 4.8 to 6 volts for the 5955's. Thanks for any clarification.
You can only run "Non Regulated" power to a spektrum RX, but you have to use all 5955's as they are the only servo available at the moment that can't handle over 7v. Don't ask me how someone figured out that the 5955 could run non regulated, but it can. Again, you have to use a spektrum radio and all 5955's or you will have problems.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:32 AM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

I use 7.4 volt Li-Polymer packs. As each cell is 3.7 volt, it ends up at 7.4v. I believe Li-Ion is the same way except larger packs and round batteries.

Dave, I can power the throttle servo from the ignition battery and use just any servo.

It gets signal from the Rx but power from the 5.8V regulated ignition battery. In any case, if there is an issue with that battery, it does not matter for this servo as you lost the spark as well...

To some extent, the SmartFly Power Expander does a similar thing - it separates the command signal from the electric power. All the Rx gets is that one white lead for each channel.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:35 AM
RodSmith

ORIGINAL: Mokken

You can only run "Non Regulated" power to a spektrum RX, but you have to use all 5955's as they are the only servo available at the moment that can't handle over 7v. Don't ask me how someone figured out that the 5955 could run non regulated, but it can. Again, you have to use a spektrum radio and all 5955's or you will have problems.

Just to be absolutely certain. Is someone here actually flying the Spektrum/5955 combo on unregulated li ion/lipoly and how many flights do you have on this system? I just want to be careful with my new flying machine. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:41 AM
Maudib

HiTec rates the 5955 at 6 volt but it really has the capability of 7.2+ (It stemmed from the 5995 Robot servo that does it) But HiTec wants to avoid this very issue... of people trying to use 8 volts when other servos, receivers and misc. electromics might not take it...

Short answer is... you really can't get away with it... unless you run a 5955 on the throttle too...

Old 03-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Maudib

I don't think you can get by putting the throttle on the ignition battery and also having it connected to the receiver... the whole reason the SmartFly is optical is to prevent connecting the ignition system to the receievr system by electrical pathway... (NOISE) bugtime I understand...

This is why there isn't a solution to power the receiver, servos and ignition form one energy source...

I use 7.4 volt Li-Polymer packs. As each cell is 3.7 volt, it ends up at 7.4v. I believe Li-Ion is the same way except larger packs and round batteries.

Dave, I can power the throttle servo from the ignition battery and use just any servo.

It gets signal from the Rx but power from the 5.8V regulated ignition battery. In any case, if there is an issue with that battery, it does not matter for this servo as you lost the spark as well...

To some extent, the SmartFly Power Expander does a similar thing - it separates the command signal from the electric power. All the Rx gets is that one white lead for each channel.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:00 AM
Maudib

Rod is has been done by a few 33% guys... (at least one I know of) ANd i did a test myself with a 2 cell lipo, AR7000 receiver and a 5955... it all worked without a hitch... I did not install a plane that way (and won't) but there are a few that have...

Just to be absolutely certain. Is someone here actually flying the Spektrum/5955 combo on unregulated li ion/lipoly and how many flights do you have on this system? I just want to be careful with my new flying machine. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:37 AM
RodSmith

Thanks for everyone's input. I have the regulators and will use them initially and will continue to research the unregulated power possibilities. I will report back with any further info.

Rod is has been done by a few 33% guys... (at least one I know of) ANd i did a test myself with a 2 cell lipo, AR7000 receiver and a 5955... it all worked without a hitch... I did not install a plane that way (and won't) but there are a few that have...

Old 03-30-2007, 12:06 PM
3Dreaming
My Feedback: (1)

In the last day or so I read where someone was using a fiberoptic extension for throttle and choke, while getting servo power from the ignition pack. I think it was on the site that deals with flat sided fuselages. Tom

And here it is:
It has the fire wall forward concept. The throttle and choke servos are mounted on
the motor box next to the carburetor. The links to the carb are 4-40 all thread for
slop free movement. The throttle and choke servo get their power from the ignition battery, and receive their signal via fiber optic extensions. This ensures RF isolation.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:15 PM
olof

I have been running hitec analogue servos on 2 cell lipo unregulated for just over a year and no problems only benefits, faster and stronger, everyone I tell this to oohs and arghs but it works for me. Wouldn't do it on big gasser though.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:38 PM
Maudib

Yes, you can use a fiber optic connection... but if you're gonna put money into one of thsoe.. why not use a regulator with a failsafe switch instead?

Forgues Research sells fiber optic servo extensions.... $45 ea...

http://forgues-research.com/page10.html

(about middle of page - scroll down)

I think the reason one would one to pass using a reg is cost, weight and elimination of another failure point... so far everything else adds a failure point and costs and weighs about the same...
Old 03-30-2007, 01:14 PM
cadconversions
My Feedback: (21)

If I am using Hitec 5955 all around on a DX7, SmartFly ignition kill, is there any part of the istallation that needs to be regulated. I heard these Hitecs can take 7.4V rather well. I also heard the DX can take the voltage. I will regulate the separate DA ignition to stay around 5.8V. Which throttle servo can I get that will take this voltage as well? IS the whole thing going to buzz like crazy because of the voltage?
Short answer is... you really can't get away with it... unless you run a 5955 on the throttle too...

Or here is the easiest solution. Run the rx and 5955's on the unregulated power. Then come out of the rx first thing with an MPI regulator (cheap and only one servo load so they can handle it no problem) into the servo leads. The MPI regulators are small, light weight, and have servo connections on both ends.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:40 PM
julian008
My Feedback: (12)

Hi all . what do you guys thinK of the JR 8711 servos for my " YAK 88" "
any opinions PLEASE >>>>>>>>>>>
Old 03-30-2007, 03:47 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: julian008

Unless they changed the gears....[:'(]
Old 03-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Yak Man
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: julian008

Unless they changed the gears....[:'(]
& price...Hitec 5955 & programmer...
On another note, just sold H9 Sukhoi.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:17 PM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

8711 are the same gears as 8611a.

I am using 8611A all the way around, because that is what I have had stashed away. If they get sloppy and they will, I will send them in for replacement and let HH fix them.

You guys yammering on and on about wanting to run unreg'ed li=po voltage can crow all you want about it.....

But, my regulated li-po's will perform BETTER and more CONSISTENT. While your voltage is flucuating and changing the entire time you are flying, and making your stick "feel" change at the same time, my reg'ed li-pos will give me the same "feel" every flight.

Oh...and the weight penalty for consistent smoothness....1.5 oz per reg.

So go ahead, keep crowing about how you are pushing the envelope of the MAnu's Specs and how you getting away with it..

If it fails...who's fault is it, and if someoneis injured...can you live with it??

"I haven;t tried it in a gasser"....why?? Afraid??? Becasue you KNOW it isn't right?? Uh-huh.

Stick to the well known success of popular setups, and experiment away from people on planes that have little value.

A few pages back...Chris said.....enough already, go fly your planes. I came back to the thread to look for something, and here we are flapping our keyboard wings....

I flew my DL-50 DA-50 Chinese COPY powered EF Reject today.........I just might put this Chinese engine that turns 7500 rpm on a 22 x8 in this Chinese made airplane. It drops right in where the DA-50 went on....

Maudib...can you make a DL-50 Logo like DA's but change the name to DONG LING DL-50.....

One of my friends is doing a G-62 on his , also. The G-62 lite is as good as the Poulan Chainsaw 60's you guys got from MN at a premium price. 6700 on 24 x 8 menzS with stock pipe.

RD , how is yours running??

Also, one last thing in my rant , for my friends on this thread.....

IF YOU WANT AN 88" Red YAK .....I know where one is for sale at a local retailer.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:22 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

OHHH KAAAY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.