Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Old 08-19-2010, 07:05 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

That's a light airplane Barry. Wonder how it 3D's?
Old 08-19-2010, 07:06 PM
JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: lokiyawl

Diamond Dave,

Yes, I can see the wear in the photo. Mine are actually worn quite a bit more..there isn't any tread left anywhere. (grin) Thanks for the info on the Kavans, I will get those installed soon. The stock gear on the 88'' looks like it is too light but it actually is working out really well. Here are a few more recent photos of my Yak.

James
That's a low and close hover James. Nice work on that Yak. All I want to fly is my Yak lately...er all summer that is.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:33 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

like the looks of that bird Barry.....
Old 08-19-2010, 11:43 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

I hope it 3Ds well. But we'll see. I'm liking the engine. I ran it for 45 minutes in the garage this evening. Then my battery went dead. It sounds great and thrust came up to about 23lbs. But I'm still envious of Lokiyawl. Man he has a lot of thrust. I'm constantly trying different things to get mine acceptable. I'd say my Yak is pretty acceptable. Nice pull out....but not balistic by any means. I was hoping this 58CC baby would be in the 25lbs range with the canister....but apparently it won't be. I can't wait to fly the Sbach but I'm flying the Yak right now and I'm gonna fly it again this Saturday. The Sbach will have to wait. But it will be fun to compare sooner or later.

I'm up to about 15 flights on the Yak and having the time of my life with it. Very few problems also....with engine or plane. I did lose a cowl bolt and the exhaust came loose...but the wheels have stayed on good. It's just running and flying great. I'm working on the rolling Harriers. The manuever I'm trying to master now.....well that and the hover, the rolling circles, flat spins, waterfalls, KE loops and landings. I'll master the other stuff when I get time....

Thanks
Barry
Old 08-20-2010, 05:48 AM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

you can put some spooge(rtv silicon) on the cowl bolts, it does help....i check my muffler bolts usually during the week or before my 1st flight of the day, i know it may be more often than needed but with access to the bolts through the cowl it only takes a minute or 2, i had one come loose on my old 80cc and ended up vibrating and messing up the muffler and threads, sucked, now i use blue locktite and check em like i mentioned, you dont need to try and tighten them each time cause you can break the locktite loose, but i put a wrench on it and make sure its still snug, on your engine the bolts are sideways when plane is upright right? reason i ask i found with my twin where the mufflers stick out from the bottom, i put the plane on its side after putting locktite on the bolts, that way the stuff pools on the sides of the threads and has more surface area to grab on to, when upright it runs back down and only holds a few threads around the head, learned that trick at a machine shop a long time ago, did some testing with locktite and there was a definet difference in strength when let dry sideways as oppsoed to vertical, so i do it on its side and leave it for a day to dry...btw glad your liking the yak this time
Old 08-20-2010, 09:10 AM
Barry Cazier

Yeah....my muffler bolts are sidways when the plane is upright. I used Hi Temp silicone on the muffler bolts. It does hold pretty well. It actually came apart where the header joins the tuned pipe. The clamp didn't hold. So I roughened the header a little and used some silicon there. It seems to be holding now. I'll try a bit of silicon on the cowl bolts. That's a good idea.

And I am liking this Yak much better. I have about 10* more elevator throw than I did my first one. Seems to have made a tremedous difference in flat spins. And I love to flat spin so that is a great improvement to me. I'm having a great time with this airplane. It's taken me a few flights just to get back in the rythem. But it seems to be coming back now. I really haven't flown at all since I hurt my shoulder in September until a couple of weeks ago. But I'm getting very comfortable now. At least as comfortable as I can expect. I'm thinking I'm gonna take my 110 out with the 88 tomorrow. The 110 is just setting there ready to go...with the wheels on...it needs to be tested again. Gonna be a nice day.
thanks
Barry
Old 08-20-2010, 09:16 AM
Barry Cazier

Oh...I'm thinking about the EF Edge for my next plane. Don't you have one of those? I called but they won't have any until the end of September or so....Might put one on order though. Looks like a neat plane. I like Edges. I've had several and they flight good. The last one I had was only a single seater...and I thought I could tell a difference in the way it flew. I didn't like it as much. Didn't seem to KE as good and pulled a lot worse to the wheels. I noticed that most manufactures are going to the single seater for some reason. I know Whild Hare has and Aeroworks also. Not sure who else makes them. But EF has the double seater and I like the looks of it....I just may have to try it. And I do have a 55 sitting around with no airplane. I also think the EF would allow a tuned pipe which is good for me. Less noise and more performance.

That's the trouble with this hobby....my favorite plane is my next one.....

Thanks
barry
Old 08-20-2010, 10:13 AM
EXTREME FLIGHT

Glad to hear you are enjoying the Yak Barry. I 've had similar issues with the pipe slipping out of the Teflon coupler. One solution is to drill a small hole through the coupler and pipe and tap it for a 4-40 bolt. Put a washer on a short 4-40 bolt that is just long enough to get through the thickness of the coupler and pipe wall and insert it with a couple drops of red loctite. This has worked well for me.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:43 AM
mm

hello all,

First flight of mine yesterday. It was difficult (i did two flights) because i did a mistake (big mistake!!) : i have put backwards the landing gear (see photos). So first time, impossible to take off, the plane was on the nose...the second time, with much more throws on elevators (i thought it was the problem) it was possible to take off, like the last flight. Then, before going back to home, i realize the real problem....
otherwise, it's a beautiful airplane and i was immediately confident, landing is very easy (even with lots of throws ...) my CG is to back and i need to tune the plane so great job chris, i love my yak

thanks for advices

Stéphane
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37388.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	1487102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28527.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1487103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97752.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1487104  
Old 08-20-2010, 03:46 PM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

I flew the Yak today with the OS55GT and ES Composite pipe. Of course all of you know how good this plane flies, I won't go over those details, however just saying on here that the OS55GT is a sweet motor. I had a DA50 on my original 87" EF yak 54, now that Chris Hinson has loaned me his 88" Yak for the King 50 I am trying out this new OS55GT. I run ES Composites on my 110" EF Yak 54 and love them, so it only stood to reason that getting a ES55G composite pipe from ES Composites was in the cards. I got it flying today and the OS55 did not let me down, runs great, totally linear throttle, easy to start, just all around good.
Jeff Williams
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61761.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1487262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76126.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1487263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55877.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	1487264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys49023.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1487265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny27301.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1487266  
Old 08-20-2010, 04:02 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

is that a cowl mod on that beast? seems to be a great deal[8D]
Old 08-20-2010, 07:53 PM
diamondave

barry my buddy had problems with his joint too, the one on the plane, i think he added a second clamp, might have went with hose clamps in stead of the crimp kind...i do have the 88edge, i love it, much faster than my 88 yak was, sleaker airframe i guess, id say get one if you can, youd love it and it is different than the yak the way it flies, it actually floats more than my 88yak did, if you can imagine that, and spins are awesome with it too i can get tighter ones than i could with my 88, KE spins are rediculous, waterfalls seem easier to me for some reason too, you cant go wrong with it......

jw do you have any numbers on a particular prop? curious how that engine stacks up power wise
Old 08-20-2010, 08:08 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

Barry,I have the Edge also and totally love it. It does fly different then the Yak like Dave says. I feel alot more comfortable doing my upright harriers down the runway and lower then I ever did with my Yak. There really isn't much if any wingrock with it. I'm actually still thinking about selling the 88" Yak airframe. I wish EF would come out with a 100cc Edge ! http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...6&goto=newpost This is the 88"EF Edge thread on another forum.. Just put the full name of the FG website where the stars are ..

Frank...
Old 08-20-2010, 10:06 PM
Barry Cazier

ORIGINAL: EXTREME FLIGHT

Glad to hear you are enjoying the Yak Barry. I 've had similar issues with the pipe slipping out of the Teflon coupler. One solution is to drill a small hole through the coupler and pipe and tap it for a 4-40 bolt. Put a washer on a short 4-40 bolt that is just long enough to get through the thickness of the coupler and pipe wall and insert it with a couple drops of red loctite. This has worked well for me.
Thanks for the tip. I've got it silconed and I added a 2nd clamp. Seems to be holding nicecly now.

Flew tonight and got 4 more flights in. I was all alone at the field. So it gave me some time to concentrate on trimming and balance. I added a 1/2 oz weight to me RH wing tip. That helped quite a bit in waterfalls. Need a bunch less rudder to keep them quick and vertical. Also added a small mix to the alilerons on KE flight. This thing KE just about perfect now. You can take your right hand off and still do a beautiful KE right down the center of the runway. The lateral balance seemed to even help a little in flat spins. But I did some great flat spins tonight. I reduced the ailerons and used only low rates and 3D rates on rudder and elevator and got them really flat and picked up the throttle to about 2/3 to really get it spinning fast before it flips out. Nice.

On my last flight there was zero wind and about 85* F. I had about as nice a flight as I've ever had. Everything just seemed to click it was fun. Great night.

Went over everything at the end. Things seem to be holding tight now. I need to adjust my rudder cables just a little bit tighter.

Wheels seem to be staying on....

Any tips on rolling harriers would be appreciated. I'm still just not getting it. Shouldn't it be pretty much the same inputs for rolling circles? Somehow I just can't seem to keep the nose up.

Thanks
Barry
Old 08-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Barry Cazier

I appreciate the comments on the Edge. My edges have been really great at KE spins. Better by far than any planes I've owned. They also seem to be better at waterfalls. I like them.

I got an email from EF saying they don't really know when them might get some more in. So.......I'm on some kinda list to be notified when they get here. I think I will buy one. I really like the way it looks with the larger canopy and everything I see and hear seems like it flys good.

I have a 100CC Edge but didn't like it much and robbed the engine for my Yak. I could never get it to fly the way I like. Hopefully, another plane will be better. And I do have that DLE55 sitting around. but I'm out or receivers and servos.....

Thanks
Barry
Old 08-21-2010, 06:51 AM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: diamondave
jw do you have any numbers on a particular prop? curious how that engine stacks up power wise
No, I forgot to tach it and I leave today with work and do not get back till next Friday. So probably will fly next Saturday and I will get some tach readings at low and high ends. I am running a TZB 22 X 8 for break in and will move up as I get some fuel thru her, but so far like I said above, it is running very well. Other threads on other sites have indicated some problems with this motor but mine runs great.
Jeff
Old 08-21-2010, 07:34 AM
diamondave

barry i put a dle55 in my edge, stock muffler with a menz 23-8, it is a excellent combo....if ef does eventually come out with a 100cc edge id probably list this edge to try and get the big one....if not this one is a keeper for sure
Old 08-21-2010, 07:36 AM
diamondave

cant help with rolling harriers or circles cause im still learing them myself...if you cant keep the nose up seems like you need more input on something? ele, rudder(if sideways) or throttle bumping, thats my guess anyway
Old 08-21-2010, 07:37 AM
diamondave

ORIGINAL: JWilliams

ORIGINAL: diamondave
No, I forgot to tach it and I leave today with work and do not get back till next Friday. So probably will fly next Saturday and I will get some tach readings at low and high ends. I am running a TZB 22 X 8 for break in and will move up as I get some fuel thru her, but so far like I said above, it is running very well. Other threads on other sites have indicated some problems with this motor but mine runs great.
Jeff
thanks i was just curious
Old 08-21-2010, 08:58 AM
JoeAirPort

The rolling harriers is all in the stick timing and amounts of stick input. Mine does them very well. In the beginning stages of doing these the nose always wanted to drop on any of my planes. You just give the stick inputs earlier in the timing and it picks the nose right up. Practicing these low in the beginning is very dangerous since the nose dropping can very easily lead to a crash. Ask me how many close calls I've had....way too many.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:33 PM
xtraflyr

I can kinda do them,but they go all over the place most of the time in a circle..But thats ok,I'm working on my inverted harriers more,which will take less time to learn,just cuz their easier !!

Frank
Old 08-21-2010, 02:24 PM
JoeAirPort

Inverted harriers are hard for me. I can't even do a decent one yet. I'm working on it though. It just seems like the nose wants to come up too easy....even with almost neutral elevator. Was trying them on the Extra today. I'll stay at it. It's the only way to get it.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:45 PM
xtraflyr

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Inverted harriers are hard for me. I can't even do a decent one yet. I'm working on it though. It just seems like the nose wants to come up too easy....even with almost neutral elevator. Was trying them on the Extra today. I'll stay at it. It's the only way to get it.
I always have the problem of going to slow,then it gets all squirrely and wants to go into a spin. I have the little 4 site and actually did some decent ones Thursday night . It feels I like you have to much down travel for them,cuz it doesn't take much . Guys tell me the inverted ones are easier then upright,but I don't believe it !! Practice makes perfect,burn fuel/electrons,they all say !!
Old 08-21-2010, 03:49 PM
mm

hello,

how can i put a video ?

thank's
Old 08-21-2010, 04:13 PM
diamondave

ORIGINAL: mm

hello,

how can i put a video ?

thank's
if you put in on youtube or some other hosting site than just copy and paste the link in your reply

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.