Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Old 02-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

O.K. guys...

Since the Yaks are on the big brown trucks, it's time to go ahead and start a true "Build and Fly" thread. Chris has his specifically for the Brillelli 60 build... but this one can and will cover all the various builds.

This isn't MY thread... but I welcome ALL EF 88" Yak owners to join in and share pics, setup and tips... our "Discussion thread" has been fun but it's time to get serious!

So to start off... I'm getting a few thing done ahead of time to shorten the building time.

First I hooked up all my servos to the Spektrum AR7000 receiver and setup the basic model. Looking at the pics Chris has shared, I was able to determine the position and direction of turn for each servo...

I added my arms, centered them and have the grommets in place. I even added the balllinks to the servo arms.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11891.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	626503  
Old 02-21-2007, 11:35 AM
Maudib

Default RE: Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Since the EF 88" will use hingepoint type hinges... I pulled out my own Robarts and dipped the knuckes in melted vaseline... I saw this here on RCU (sorry guy can't remember who to give credit... but GREAT idea) and LOVE it. It works great and is faster than "smearing" it onto the knuckles.

I'll be ready to hinge as soon as the plane arrives...

For some reason I never look forward to hinging and getting it done early will push me past this stage...

Name:	Jh16150.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	626504  
Old 02-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Maudib

I also pre-prepped my engine... putting a balllink on the throttle arm, adding a longer choke arm, getting some fender washers ready for the firewall bolts and lastly cutting and double stick taping some 1/2" foam padding on the bottom of the ignition...

Name:	Fd92636.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	626510  
Old 02-21-2007, 11:38 AM
Maudib

I went ahead and dremeled flat spots on the axles for the wheel collars... I doubt I'll use the spats (at least initially anyway) so this is one more step that's done.

Name:	Pn36242.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	626513  
Old 02-21-2007, 11:44 AM
cadconversions
My Feedback: (21)

Great, I've just received all new servos, got the misc stuff coming with the plane, and smart-fly regs ready to go. Nothing other than that, but my buddy is coming up Saturday to hopefully knock this baby out in a day.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:44 AM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

What kind of glue are you going to use on the hinges. I know everyone has gone to that poly glue on their hinges...but I prefer old fashioned epoxy. Whats your recommendation?
Old 02-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Maudib

I'll be using the GOrilla Glue too... it's just too nice for these hinges. Nothing wrong with epoxy either... I just like not having to mix it up and if I don't have enough... or if I feel it getting warm and I'm NOT quite done yet...

Poly glue has been "more enjoyable" to work with...
Old 02-21-2007, 11:50 AM
Mokken
My Feedback: (63)

ORIGINAL: 3d-aholic

What kind of glue are you going to use on the hinges. I know everyone has gone to that poly glue on their hinges...but I prefer old fashioned epoxy. Whats your recommendation?
I'll use good old fashioned Epoxy..
Old 02-21-2007, 12:10 PM
3d-aholic

I have a tough time keeping the poly glue from "seeping" out during curing into the hinge line. I know the vaseline will protect the hinge but if it oozes out into the hinge line right at the base of the hinge line, you can't get the hinge not to have a "gap". Stuff is like plastic rock after it dries. Thats my biggest problem with it--maybe I'm missing another trick. [] You can clean up epoxy with alcohol before it sets. You can clean up the poly glue all day and stuff just keeps oozing and oozing. Maybe the trick is using only a tiny bit inside...but then your always wondering if you got enough and you don't have a weak hinge.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:35 PM
Maudib

I take a cotton swab with most of the head removed... dip it in water... and poke it in and out of each hole to lightly moisten it. Both the trailing edge and suface holes)

I dip a bamboo skewer into the glue and drip a decent drop into each hole them "poke it in and twirl it" to give the hole a good coating.

Then the hinge itslef gets the LIGHTEST coating... I dip it into the glue and roll it around... I try and roll most of it off on the cup side...

Then I insert the hinge into the hole stopping about 1/8" from fully seated. Wipe away the excess then fully seat.

I do the whole trailing edge first then immediately follow up with the surface.

Of course this time you have to dab glue on the remaining side of the hinge as it sticks out. Again I try and scrape MOST of the glue off... this stuff expands a lot (as you know) and will easily fill the hole, bind the barbs and seep into the wood.

press the surface hard together and tape... let sit for 5 minutes... then come back and wipe away any redsiude that foamed out... You can use denatured alcohol or rubbing alcohol at this point... cuts it better. (just don't use a soppy towel to prevent too much from getting up into the hole)

FLex the surface again and check that it's fully seated again.

Revisiit in about 5-10 minutes again.

After a couple checks the glue starts to set and hole and quits foaming...

Woks well for me...

I like epoxy just fine... I just don;t like that "trigger" it has and you can get "caught".... I suppose If I could get some 1 hour epoxy I'd be just as happy with it... But again... it's nnice not having to mix or waste epoxy...
Old 02-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

ORIGINAL: Maudib

I also pre-prepped my engine... putting a balllink on the throttle arm, adding a longer choke arm, getting some fender washers ready for the firewall bolts and lastly cutting and double stick taping some 1/2" foam padding on the bottom of the ignition...
David, what is the reason for adding the longer choke arm? Leverage?
Old 02-21-2007, 01:25 PM
Maudib

Yeah... just a personal thing... rspecially when I'm running a choke rod out the cowl somewhere... It should be pretty short on this build (about 1.5" or so long)
Old 02-21-2007, 01:38 PM
catfish2
My Feedback: (43)

Just a quick comment on the poly glue, only the outside surface is hard after curing. The interior is more air than glue and cuts/sands easily. It is fairly easy to cut the majority of any "oops" off with a xacto or razor blade. I have also notice the actual grip on typical plastic covering material is not all that strong. You can sometimes carefully get a knife blade or fingernail under one edge and simply peal the mess off without tearing the covering. You may not get all of a "oops" completly cleaned off your work, but you can certainly free up hinge points and surface to the extent that they will function properly.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Maudib

Another tip is to put a little vaseline on your finger and apply it to the bevels before hinging (poly or epoxy) this keeps it from sticking at all...
Old 02-21-2007, 01:46 PM
3d-aholic

Yeah... just a personal thing... rspecially when I'm running a choke rod out the cowl somewhere... It should be pretty short on this build (about 1.5" or so long)
Can I ask how is this going to run out of your cowl?
...did you just put a z-bend on it or did you make some kind of fancy switch.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:54 PM
Maudib

I'll put a small hole in the colw ont he smae side as the carb... a rubber grommet and a rod will padss through it to the choke... the arm is oriented so that pull it out is closed (choked) and push it in is open (not choked). The rod will be short... maybe 3-4" max...
Old 02-21-2007, 02:10 PM
3d-aholic

Ok, your idea sounds simply enough...Thanks

I was hoping there was something like this...but I think thats overkill given the way your described it.

Name:	Ki17936.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	626599  
Old 02-21-2007, 02:27 PM
Maudib

Since the choke rod operates perpendicular to the cowl... it's simpler like this:

I'll share a pic when I finish that part of the install...

Now DA50 choke levers DO run parallel to the cowl... but I don;t know how you would devise something like you shared (nice illustration BTW)

Many guys are just running it straight out the front... I'm sure we'll see a few options coming up.... I've used bellcranks before too.

Name:	Bz79378.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	626604  
Old 02-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Maudib

3d-aholic,

You got me thinking... and I always enjoy running a test or two (especially when they are this easy)

I grabbed some scrap balsa block and drilled a 3/16 hole and another one that I "wallowed out" a bit to simulate a couple potential hingeholes.

I then moistened the holes as usual... then dripped a couple drops of GGLue in the holes and pokes, swirled the stick in applying the glue well to the hole walls...

THIS time I did NOT apply ANY glue to the hinge... just poked them in.

Based on the results... (I'm still waiting on a decent cure time to test strength... I won't apply glue to the hinges again... the foaming properties of the glue does it's job... and addig it to teh hinge seems to only add a step and makes for more foaming...

You may have just helped save me some hassle and time... making hinging almost a breeze...

It still needed a little wiping at the "hingeline" as it still foamed a little... but not as much... and only ONCE...

Name:	Ec89258.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	626621   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh18966.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	626622  
Old 02-21-2007, 03:41 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

One little thing if using Gorilla, I put a little bit of water in the balsa holes using a cotton stick. Makes the glue work much better for some reason...

I'll be using the GOrilla Glue too... it's just too nice for these hinges. Nothing wrong with epoxy either... I just like not having to mix it up and if I don't have enough... or if I feel it getting warm and I'm NOT quite done yet...

Poly glue has been "more enjoyable" to work with...
Old 02-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

I removed the stock arm and put a steering arm on..I want to try running a bellcrank on the side of the motor box then just run a rod straight out the bottom...if that doesn't work then Ill do the cowl mount...just trying to avoid drilling an extra hole in that nice cowl!

Name:	Wu60421.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	626703  
Old 02-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Maudib

Well, well, well, well well.... look what the cat drug in!

Absolutely beautiful! Covering application is perhaps the best I have ever seen... superb.

Here's the fuse and canopy... great paint, tinted canopy, BIG, BIG, BIG!!!

Name:	Ge95726.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	626755  
Old 02-21-2007, 06:00 PM
Maudib

Strong construction... yet light... LOING tuned pipe tunnel for you "pepper" boys!

Name:	Fd91985.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	626756  
Old 02-21-2007, 06:02 PM
cadconversions
My Feedback: (21)

Hey guys, RCshowcase makes and awesome throttle arm that can be used for chokes as well. Better than any steering arm, ball link (and includes the 2-56 part as well) setup, and it's pretty cheap. It's on their website....

Also, just got this e-mail a few minutes ago....

This message was sent to you at the request of Exteme Flight to notify you that the package information below has been transmitted to UPS. Got a tracking number!!!!! Whoot, Whoot!!!!
Old 02-21-2007, 06:02 PM
Maudib

Well constructed, adequate glue (but not goopy anywhere) decent amount of lightening without feeling flimsy... The 87" was great but I always felt I had to handle it with kid gloves... not so here... beefy (but still light)

Name:	Sp45172.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	626759  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.