Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

First 50cc

Old 03-08-2007, 10:28 AM
zoott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First 50cc

Looking for a first 50cc . Seems like there a alot of people are moving up.
I'm not quite there yet but I'm going to start buying ahead. I'm thinking next spring.
It's easier for me to fund a project like this slow.
So please suggest a first 50cc airframe. Keep in mind it's for a newbie to large airframes.
3d will be my main end goal. It will be equipped with a DA-50.
Thanks.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:33 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: First 50cc

Lots of options IMO the QQ Yak is the best out there, but have a look at: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5448223/tm.htm for other opinions.

MIke
Old 03-08-2007, 10:54 AM
zoott

Would all airframes in this poll work for a newbie to this size?
Old 03-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, and more that weren't listed. It will come down to how much you want to spend. There are other selections as good for less cost.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:14 AM
Jonathan.Lam

ORIGINAL: zoott

Would all airframes in this poll work for a newbie to this size?
Well they should be as i am in the same situation as you lol.
But remember there is a WHOLE load of planes out there to choose from - not only those in the poll.
DECISIONS ARE HARD TO MAKE![]

Old 03-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Yup, and for some of us there are "other" models rather than Yaks...

Sorry I know they are popular, but I just don't like the looks of them. A friend who's helped me get started in IMAC made the comment that he thought "you will probably fly a model that you like better than one you don't" made sense to me based on my experience with things other than RC models.

I like Extras and Edges, so I just got my first bunny and it's a 50cc size Extra. The workmanship is really quite outstanding and the price is quite a bit less money than some Yaks mentioned in that poll, or a certain other Extra/Edges that are out there.

You've got lots of time to figure it out, but be aware that just because you decide on a particular model doesn't mean it will be in stock when you want it. So get it decided on early in case you have to place it on back order... []
Old 03-08-2007, 11:26 AM
zoott

Yeah tell me about it. I just don't want to skimp on the airframe and then wish i bought a QQ . If i'm goin to spend for a da-50 and other stuff the airframe should be good quality as well. My other concern is buying something cheaper and it has bad flying habbits.
I just want a good quality arf that is suitable for a newbie to this size lol.
A few months ago i considered a GP cap 232.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:18 PM
BaldEagel

A couple of things that you can use to guide yourself are:
Get one with a large wing area.
Low wing loading/light weight.
Not very swept back wings.
Down load and look at the manual if it says under one inch for elevator movement don't touch it, its telling you any more movement than that and it will tip stall.
Go for a proven manufacturer.
See if its designed for your engine.
What servo's are recommended, that will give you an idea of whether the manual was written by someone who knows what they are talking about.
Find a review of your chosen models and read up on it, use common scense re the amount of gubbins installed in it, on 50cc you don't need all the bells and whistles for your first one keep it simple.
I would never consider a plane that is not cannister exhast ready, pitts silencers don't silence and sap power from the engine, they are also the cause of many rough running problems in the mid range.

My personnal choice would be:
1. Hanger 9 Extra very good value and fly's well, cannister ready.
2. Anything of the latest range by QQ.

Hope this helps
Mike
Old 03-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's there is a very simple way to look at this. Find 3 you like the looks of. Compare wing area and size. Then compare cost. Go with which ever one suits you. The reason I say this is because I don't think there are any bad ones out there.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:38 PM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: Ken Bryant

I think it's there is a very simple way to look at this. Find 3 you like the looks of. Compare wing area and size. Then compare cost. Go with which ever one suits you. The reason I say this is because I don't think there are any bad ones out there.
Oh Ken try some of the Edge's out there they are tip stalls waiting to happen, highly tapered wing the Seagull, Hanger 9, CMP and Jamara are all the same, in fact I think they were all made in the same factory, Hanger 9 disscontinued theres almost as soon as they started distribution.

Mike
Old 03-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In all candor, if the buyer is looking at a monoplane with less than 84" of span they aren't looking a a 50cc or greater giant. What they would be looking at would be a plane that was originally designed for glow power and so equipped would have a lot lighter wing loading. Selecting a plane that was specifically designed for a gas engine, and that was provided the span and wing area to carry a heavier engine generally eliminates the "tip" stalling issues. So does using the correct amount of control deflections along with a proper center of gravity for the airframe.

As for mufflers robbing power, and cannisters making for more power and a better mid range, I totally disagree. The way the engine manufacturer designed the induction system, and the selection of the size and type of carb has far more to do with that than the selected muffler. Can you obtain more power with a cannister? Not really, but you will with a tuned cannister. Noise is the largest reason for the use of a cannister. If you need a tuned cannister to obtain the power level you require you should choose a larger engine. Talk to a few people that have had more than one gasser to obtain more constructve information about what works best. You may be surprised to note that some much less expensive engines perform much better than some that are the current "rage".

A higher price of a model does not by any means determine the level of quality of the construction, or how well it will fly. Nor does the attachment of a competitors name. It only determines the level of profit to the manufacturer or the number of "middle men" in the chain before it gets to the distributor. The best method of selecting someone's first 50cc gasser will not be obtained by reading about it. It will be done by going out to locations where there are people flying various type of planes and paying attention. As for the easiest one to fly, it will usually be a quality designed Edge. Fact of life it's hard to find a good one with any bad habits, and they're damned difficult to get into a hard to recover from stall. The general line of mid winged Extra's and the Yaks follow next in line.

There are those that have been more than expecting me to do this and now's the time. I suggest you first look at the line up to be found at Wild Hare. Nobody is sticking their hand deep in your pocket. It's the manufacturer that developed the 50cc market. It wasn't there until Wild Hare set the standards for everyone else. Good hardware choices at fair prices, and lot's of options left to the decision of the buyer. They ALWAYS fly extremely well. Thats in evidence anywhere you see them flying.

Others that also do very well but at much higher pricing are the QQ line, BME, Aeroworks, and quite a few others. I agree that you will prefer flying a plane whose design is pleasing to you rather than one that's not. You'll fly the one a lot more than the other, even if the design that's less visually pleasing flies better than the other.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:50 PM
badazzbusa

Not only do Wildhare planes fly well but are a easy build for your first gasser. Another great flying and building plane is the Kankge Texas Hurricane, don't see many of them and they have been out of stock for awhile. I think they just got some more in from a mag. ad I saw. It was my first gasser, on low rates it is a mild trainer, on high rates it performs great. It is not a 3-d monster but still fun to fly. I have 5 gassers now and still enjoy flying the Hurricane (it's over 2 years old and never had a problem with it). It comes with all the hardware, that is very usable. blue Alum. horns, pull-pull system and blue Alum. push rods with threaded ends. It will fly on a 35cc but needs a 50cc. I have a Brission 50 on mine and it does not fly heavy at all and will dead stick straight in.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:40 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Another thing you might want to concider is, what kind of airplane are you going to mainly use? I fly Extra's and so I try and stay with Extra's. This keeps me improving all the time instead of learning a new airframe. If you jump around to different airfames, you will be relearning all the time instead of improving your skills.