Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Dietrich Extra 260 50cc

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dietrich Extra 260 50cc

One of them is a Mejzlik, bloomin things aren't cheap! But at least the shop will have a couple brands to choose from!
Old 09-02-2008, 03:54 PM
FlyerRick

Right on that...we want to offer our buyers a chioce you know!
Old 09-02-2008, 08:13 PM
rc-plane

One of my tabs that hole the canopy is loose and the the hole got bigger so my screw came out in flight. Dang!!!
Old 09-02-2008, 09:29 PM
salerno

i use a little black oring for the canopy screws and it seems to work good!
Old 09-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Mxminiracer203

hey radical, i was reading about your axle coming out of the threads. mine did the same exact thing, except mine ended alittle different than yours. i broke my prop off, smashed up the cowling pretty good, and blew out my landing gear. It's terrible you spend all this money on an airplane thats suppose to have good parts on it and somthing this small happens and messes up the whole airplane
Old 09-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Radical Departure

ORIGINAL: rc-plane
One of my tabs that hole the canopy is loose and the the hole got bigger so my screw came out in flight. Dang!!!
Don't feel lonely. I think a few of us have been there, done that, with DPA. Out of a couple different fixes I've tried, this is the one I've found to work; (Actually, its Kevins @DPA suggestion).. Round up a couple blind nuts, make sure the canopy screws fit them. (sorry, can't recall the size).
Get a couple small pieces of ply of the necessary thickness for the blind nuts to fit flush.
Cut the ply to the shape of the 'U' tab on the canopy. (I mounted my blind nuts to the ply first, then centered it on the tab, traced the outline of the 'U' then cut it out). Clean the side of the tab (the aluminum tab that is).. that faces inward (toward the inside of the plane), very well with some denatured alcohol. Put some 30 min. epoxy on the ply and 'U' and cinch them together. I used the canopy screw to pull the 2 halfs together.
Last, you may have to relieve a bit of the area where the 'U' tabs insert onto the airplane. Once you have the parts it'll take about 30 minutes to make the fix. You may as well do both sides, no matter how well the other side is fitting. Trust me, you will be re-visiting it otherwise.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Radical Departure

ORIGINAL: Mxminiracer203
hey radical, i was reading about your axle coming out of the threads. mine did the same exact thing, except mine ended alittle different than yours. i broke my prop off, smashed up the cowling pretty good, and blew out my landing gear. It's terrible you spend all this money on an airplane thats suppose to have good parts on it and somthing this small happens and messes up the whole airplane
Damn Mx, sorry to hear that. Were you able to get it reapired and flying again? I tell ya, mine may not have suffered as much damage, but that business really pisses me off to no end. To potentially lose thousands of dollars of airplane because of a failure of a $3.00 axle, thats really aggravating. Hell, I'd pay $20.00 for the damned things if I had reasonable assurance they weren't going to fall apart because of shoddy quality control. I know I'll not look at axles the same way again. On the plus side, statistically, we should be safe from that happening again for a long while!
Old 09-03-2008, 11:17 AM
FlyerRick

OR...you could do what I did for my DPA 260 and my new, about ready to maiden Sukhoi...I went down to my local maching shop and had them make me a pair each for the 260 and the SU26 out of solid titanium. They just copied the originals that I took with me...cost? Are you ready for this? It's gonna kill both of you...$32 for all 4! That makes $8 a piece and the best of all part...they did it while I waited. Took the guy about 30 minutes and I was gone! They fit perfect!
Old 09-03-2008, 03:10 PM
Mxminiracer203

yeah i did get it back into the air, i tryed working out a deal with kevin on the parts that were damaged because i only flew the airplane 5 times befor that happend. but i got dubro axles in it now and i put a tack weld at the end of the axlse to prevent them from coming back out again so we will see how that goes.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:48 PM
salerno

hi everyone, a few pages back i promised i would get some video of the dl-50 smoking. well i went to the feild with perfect blue skies and no wind, then relised i forgot video camera! i got a friend to take some with his phone, so quality is pretty bad and he could not zoom in, but have a look anyway! the set up is quoted in earlier post but oil is getting pumped straight to the stock dl-50 exhaust with no preheating!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h-0B9xADdg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7NmrwnMGGo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BFkSfKWurw
Old 09-07-2008, 09:11 PM
rc-plane

I was flying along today just straight and level when all a sudden my wheel fell off!!! So I slip it in and land on one wheel. (first time for that) Everything went good nothing broke. I looked at it later and the axel had snapped off in the air. I went to the LHS and they did have the right size but I really wanted to fly so I drilled the holes out. Seemed to work really well got a couple more flights this afternoon and everything stayed on.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:51 AM
Radical Departure

ORIGINAL: salerno
hi everyone, a few pages back i promised i would get some video of the dl-50 smoking. well i went to the feild with perfect blue skies and no wind, then relised i forgot video camera! i got a friend to take some with his phone, so quality is pretty bad and he could not zoom in, but have a look anyway! the set up is quoted in earlier post but oil is getting pumped straight to the stock dl-50 exhaust with no preheating!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h-0B9xADdg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7NmrwnMGGo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BFkSfKWurw
Sweet!! ... gotta look at getting mine setup for smoke..
Old 09-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Radical Departure

I was flying along today just straight and level when all a sudden my wheel fell off!!! So I slip it in and land on one wheel. (first time for that) Everything went good nothing broke. I looked at it later and the axel had snapped off in the air. I went to the LHS and they did have the right size but I really wanted to fly so I drilled the holes out. Seemed to work really well got a couple more flights this afternoon and everything stayed on.
Wow.. that problem really seems to be getting more common. Great work on the landing! You said 'snapped off'.. did it actually snap or the axle seperated from the axle bolt? I thought thats what happened to mine, but on examination the axle 'disassembled' itself fromt he bolt. In retrospect, it would be quite difficult to snap a 3/16 piece of bar metal with a plane as light as the DPA, but.. been wrong before..

Another week and another repair job for me as well. On 99th flt, was positioning plane into restraint when noticed rudder 'wiggled'. Hinges had started coming loose. Undo the pull-pull, use dremel cutoff wheel and cut 1/2 way thru knuckles while fully deflected on one direction, then reverse and do the other side, pull the rudder a bit and finish cutting hinges off. Use a small dremel ball shaped cutting tool and reduce the knuckles down a bit further. Take a piece of 3" or so piece of brass tube that will just fit over the new 3/16th hinges as far as the knuckles. Sharpen one end, put a small dowel 1" or so in the other end. Put it on your portable drill, line up the end of the brass with the glued hinge and drill it in. The old hinge will act as a guide, and when you feel it give, pull it out, the hinge will be attached to brass tube and you'll have a nice clean hole for the new hinge as well. Anyway, got all that done, put 2 flts on it yesterday, seems like it might hold up okay..
Old 09-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Mxminiracer203

i have a question for all of you. when i put my airplane into a hover no matter what i do, i can not stop it from torque rolling even if i have full deflection on the right aileron. i got a da 50 with a 22x8 zinger prop. do you think if i changed the pitch of the prop it would make a difference
Old 09-08-2008, 05:27 PM
salerno

i have the same problem on my plane! cant keep it from rotating! i have huge throws too! i also find that cause you have to put full ailerons on it disrupts the airflow over tail area which makes it very hard to keep in a hover! i am actually disapointed about this as even my .46 size planes hover easier than this plane! i also find this is not the best plane for rock free harriers! i have my planes c.g. at 3.9". i think i may go to 4" and see how it feels there! i have a fliton freestyle with an saito .82 in it that is more stable and 3d's better than my 29% dietrich! i thought the bigger the plane the better they 3d! has anyone got any ideas about stopping the torque rolling? i know most planes require a little right aileron input to prevent plne from torque rolling but usally that's enough!
Old 09-08-2008, 07:59 PM
rc-plane

I dont have a problem hoving mine. Its real stable and only needs a little bit of ailerons to keep it straight.

I guess it didnt snap off it kinda came apart I guess. The nut on the inside of gear was there and the piece that the axel "would" be connected to is still there (piece that is agianst the LG.) When you look at it, it looks hollow inside that part so I guess it came apart and not snapped off.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:50 AM
Radical Departure

I dont have a problem hoving mine. Its real stable and only needs a little bit of ailerons to keep it straight.
I guess it didnt snap off it kinda came apart I guess. The nut on the inside of gear was there and the piece that the axel "would" be connected to is still there (piece that is agianst the LG.) When you look at it, it looks hollow inside that part so I guess it came apart and not snapped off.
EXACTLY the same problem I had. Were you using the included axles or another brand?
Old 09-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Radical Departure

i have a question for all of you. when i put my airplane into a hover no matter what i do, i can not stop it from torque rolling even if i have full deflection on the right aileron. i got a da 50 with a 22x8 zinger prop. do you think if i changed the pitch of the prop it would make a difference
Wow.. don't think its the prop or engine, running the same thing and don't have that problem, its pretty stable. The only thing that comes to mind is thrust angle. Might want to post that one in a 3D section and see what response you get, may help also to post it to that 'other' website we can't mention on RCU, flying_giants. Sorry can't be more help with that one..
Old 09-09-2008, 05:42 PM
rc-plane

The ones that came with it. Now I have dubro axels on the plane.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:11 PM
rc-plane

[&o].....................................

I was going to put some more throw on the elevators today and when I did, the right one stuck and then the servo started to smoke!!!!!! Guess I want be flying for a while.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:30 PM
rc-plane

Some pics with the DPA 260 and my dads truck.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35218.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1032805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18041.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1032806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95068.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1032807  
Old 09-15-2008, 02:55 PM
Radical Departure

Yikes! Never heard of that happening! Trying to get a better Harrier??
Old 09-15-2008, 06:17 PM
rc-plane

Well I have never really tried a lot of 3D stuff so I didnt really know what to set the vators up at. I let one of the best pilots around fly my airplane and he put it throught everthing you could imagine and he gave me some tips for IMAC and 3D. He said I need some more throw and the plane would be even better. I forgot to do it during the week so I brought the stuff out to the field. Another one of the club members helped me. I was working the radio and he was watching the throw meter, he didnt remember if he set it to zero so I told him to check again. I let the stick center and he said when are you going to center it.....I said I did. I look up and one is full up and and the other is centered. I move the stick up and down and then it started smoking. We turned the plane off and called it quits for the day. I am planning on calling hitec later on this week to see what they will do.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:26 AM
Radical Departure

Wow... let us know what you find out. Which model servo was it? 5955?
Old 09-18-2008, 12:30 AM
LANNYS TOYS
My Feedback: (81)

Could you please let me know what web site did you find the dietrich extra 260. Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.