Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Control throws for 33% Edge?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Control throws for 33% Edge?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 05:19 AM
gibb
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control throws for 33% Edge?

Can someone please recommend control throws for full aerobatic flight on a 33% Edge 540
Old 02-19-2002, 06:57 AM
JBH
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

These guys are going to want to know what plane you're referring to and about 20 other questions. While you sort that out with them I'll give you some approximates:

Low Rates:
Ailerons = 1.5" up and down
Elevators = 1" up and down
Rudder = 4" right and left

High Rates:
Bevel to Bevel, Baby!

Mid Rates:
In the middle, naturally.

From there I'd just fly it and adjust according to how I like to fly.

You know what? I'm assembling an AW 33% Edge ARF right now... I should check the manual. I will next time I'm out in the garage and report what it says. :-)
Old 02-19-2002, 03:40 PM
T-ster

If it is the 33% Aeroworks Edge, the throws are not much at all! I can measure them tonight when I get home. The elevator in particular, has a very, very small amount of movement.
Old 02-19-2002, 07:14 PM
gibb
My Feedback: (7)

Default Control throws

Actually, this is a godfrey/hostetler, however, I doubt the throws are much different than the AW. My question is really whether I should increase the throws from a standard setup to allow hovering capability or are the stock throws (like those above) enough? No, I don't necessarily like to hover, however, if I ever wanted to try and the aircraft was not setup for it, I would'nt want to sand the LE of the control surfaces and recover.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:31 PM
T-ster

3-D throws, not sure about that. I haven't ventured into that aspect of flight as of yet.
Old 02-20-2002, 12:49 AM
JBH
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Default Re: Control throws

Originally posted by gibb
Actually, this is a godfrey/hostetler, however, I doubt the throws are much different than the AW. My question is really whether I should increase the throws from a standard setup to allow hovering capability or are the stock throws (like those above) enough? No, I don't necessarily like to hover, however, if I ever wanted to try and the aircraft was not setup for it, I would'nt want to sand the LE of the control surfaces and recover.
Oh okay... so you're okay with your low rate throws. Alright then... I don't have to go to the garage for this one. :-)

How much throw for hovering maneuvers? All you can get our of your current beveling... and a 3D pilot would probably want even more. 45-50 degrees on the elevators for instance. Don't forget to dial in plenty of expo.

Check out first video here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~jb01/the-gang.htm

If I didn't have 50 degrees of throw in the elevator I could never keep that CAP hovering. Of course, major rudder and aileron are desirable, too. :-)