Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Manfred Greeve/Greeves/Grieves/Greves pipes???

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Manfred Greeve/Greeves/Grieves/Greves pipes???

Old 06-07-2007, 02:27 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Manfred Greeve/Greeves/Grieves/Greves pipes???

So, I am trying to find out more about these tuned pipes, but information seems to be quite elusive! Jason Noll calls them Greeves pipes on his RCG blog, QQ calls them Greeve pipes. Tony Russo at Dalton calls them Grieves pipes, and DA listed them as Greve pipes in Frazer Briggs bio for the Shootout.
So, I type all of these and find nothing on tuned pipes for R/C applications, but did find some stuff for auto racing? Is that the same guy?
Anyway, no one advertises that they sell them (DA, TBM, Chief, Cactus, Dons hobby), so do you have to be some member of a special club to be so privelidged to own them? Only people I know that have them are all factory guys and Mark Trent...
I am actually interested in whether or not he makes them for 50cc cylinders for my DA 100. I saw QQ's 42% Yak at the shootout, belly up with the 4 pipes for his DA 200 exposed, and they didn't look like KS pipes if memory serves. They could have been custom or BMB pipes, but I thought I heard that they were the GR----- pipes?
Also, if it turns out there is no such set of pipes for my hundy, who has experience with other tuned pipes (BMB, KS, perhaps carbon fiber?) out there? I have heard the KS pipe on a fitty a few times before and it had poor midrange, IMO - anyone else experience differently?
Old 06-07-2007, 03:09 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Manfred Greeve/Greeves/Grieves/Greves pipes???

http://www.escomposites.com/petrol.htm

Carbon fiber for 50 to 55 cc.

It is a great little pipe

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67562.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	699144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58317.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	699145  
Old 06-07-2007, 04:04 AM
bodywerks

What are/were you running it on? what kind of RPM gain did you see? How's the midrange? I think I would rather have that pipe, given that it is half the weight of all the aluminum options...
Old 06-07-2007, 06:30 AM
Scoubidou
My Feedback: (17)

RBD127 pipes are not Greve pipes but Ed Skorepa pipes. ES composite designed and sell carbone fiber pipes while Greve pipes are made with aluminium. I am studying the idea tu put 2 CF pipes on a DA-100. From what i have read, ES pipes are the lightest and give more power boost compared to all other pipes on the market.

The greve pipes are longer than others pipes and they offer better midrange throttle and little power gain.
You can see some pic of greve pipe into 40% 260 garden. Composite ARF sell Greve pipe.

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/f...den-260-a.html
Old 06-07-2007, 07:45 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

i sure do like my ES pipe on a 50cc motor....
Old 06-07-2007, 09:14 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

The G-62 shakes more than for example my DA-50 at less than 2000 rpm, once in the air I run an idle up switch for around 2300. (will have to check what it actually goes up to.

The setup is on an Extreme Flight 88 inch Yak with the G-62 is 16 lb dry and the midrange is consistent until about 3/4 throttle where it comes on the pipe and kind of goes into a fast spool up for 7700 static on Vess 23A. Funny thing though, I ran my NX-23x8 on the pipe and was getting 7100 and never came up on {Edit- "On Song"}

Below that throttle setting it will do most everything except multiple upline snaps.

If memory serves me my baffle is at 17 inches from the engine port (DA-25mm drop question marke header slightly modified at the port flange).

Seems lik i remember Krayzy-RCU used 18 inch baffle point (correct me if I am wrong) and I would like to hear his impression of the pipe coming on.

I ran the 23A on a Bennet muffler and got 7000 rpm. Now with with the pipe it peakes at 7950 and I richen for 7700. The engine was fresh out of the box on the muffler and probably would have picked up another 250 rpm anyway.

The pipe with header and stand-off ads 11.5 ounce to the airframe.

Check with flyinrazrback who contributes with this forum, I think he may be running a twin on pipes.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:53 AM
bodywerks

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2007, 09:57 AM
wgeffon

DA Sells them.
(to anyone)
Old 06-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Magne

Modelltechnik Lorenz in Germany carries the Greve pipes.
Listed for cylinder capacities of 70-110 cc, therefore probably too big for the DA 100.
Weight is 290 grams (10.2 oz)
http://www.f3alorenz.de/

Magne
Old 06-07-2007, 04:55 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

DA sells them. They have a pipe for 50cc/100cc and the larger pipe for the 75cc/100cc. They are lighter than the KS 1060s or 1090s, but a lot longer. They are not cheap, around $540 or so for a set of pipes. For that $$ I would go the ES route and save the weight.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:57 AM
bodywerks

How do you like the ES pipes? What prop are you using and at what header length? I am thinking 28X10 or 12, or 26X12, 13, or 14 3 blade for a prop?
Old 06-08-2007, 01:10 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

On the comp arf web site you can see a picture of the 150 set. They also show a single pipe for 195, no header or coupler.

QQ had a 150 with 2 pipes in his Yak. His big Python had the 200 with 4 pipes, I think he using 4 of the 150 pipes.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:14 AM
bodywerks

Thanks, tony. I think that I will try the ES pipes for the weight savings, though...
Old 12-26-2014, 01:31 AM
TheGreatBoo

Sorry for reviving this ancient thread but it seems to be the most aptly named/searchable one there is. I'm also trying to find info on the 50cc Greve tuned pipes, like recommended header length... The sites referenced above seems to have ceased to carry the Greve brand, as have CARF. Manfred Greves website www.grevepipes.de is operational but provides no real information, nor do they answer questions emailed to them.

I already have a Greve pipe I bought NIB from a fellow who could not fit it in his plane (it really is long and thin) but it came without any instructions. And now I'm looking at getting a good starting position for the header length on my trusty 3w 50i. I currently have a sort of pill-box silencer, though it is more like a noise redirector than actually silencing the engine. So the whole pipe idea is mostly just getting a more quiet engine without sacrificing performance.