Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

High amp 5955 servos

Old 09-10-2007, 11:08 PM
bgold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: High amp 5955 servos

My lithium batteries are always 8.4 volts at full charge and I have been lead to believe it's time to recharge when voltage drops to 7.2 -7.4 range. That's way above 6 or 6.7 that Hitec says is OK. Although my Xtreme Link receiver will take up to 30 volts so I should be good there. My question is why don't the manufactures take advantage of the higher voltage available and use a different motor/whatever to run at 8.4 volts.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back to the money issue again. Do the better motors cost them more and reduce the profit level? Will they have to increase the price to maintain the cost to profit ratio? Will the buyers still be willing to purchase as many if they can obtain another manufacturers product cheaper? It's all marketing and business strategy and little to do with hobby.

I run my servos, of any type, over 6 volts, and often well over. But I can financially afford the results of failure. I can't afford the lost time though. How many others are in a similar position? Those are the ones that would be able to over run their electronic equipment but I think telling everyone that it can be safely done is irresponsible and will cause crashes that most can't afford. The other issue is maintaining aircraft control. If a servo fails because it's had it's service life shortened because the user applied incorrect voltages as specified by the manufacturer, can they maintain control under all conditions and maintain safe flight around spectators? Very doubtful. There are some serious legal issues here that need to be considered before doing some of the things we want to do.

Remember, if you hit it you bought it. If you did something in the set up not approved by the manufacturer and the part that failed was "modified" and responsible for the damage, you're on your own.

In the meantime the solution is simple. Use a battery of the correct voltage or a regulator.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:07 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Here is the meat of a recent inquiry as in yesterday.

Richard,

Thank you for your recent email. No problem with 6 volts.

I hope you find this information useful. If you should have any further questions, please reply to this email or give us a call at 1-877-504-0233.

Thanks,
Matt McCarty
Product Support Team Member
Horizon Hobby Distributors
4105 Fieldstone Road
Champaign, IL 61822
877-504-0233
[email protected]

Sent: Monday, September 10, 2007 8:39 PM
To: product support
Subject: JR-8711 Question

Greetings, I am wanting to use the JR-8711 in my 33% yak on the rudder. I will be using the FAUP 1950's 6 volt batteries without regulator for power.

Is there any problem using this servo on a 6v - 5 cell battery or should I go with 4.8v?

'Thanks,

Richard
Old 09-13-2007, 02:55 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any nickle 5 cell will run almost any servo unless stated otherwise. there just is no issue at all. The stats were developed with we ran nicads. same setup.

if you are running spektrum receivers, I would not run 4.8 volts at all. its too close to the cutoff voltage.

this is a no brainer.

If you run open lipo's or lions at over 8 volts, though, thats a different story. some run it with success, but it is quite a ways outside vendor specs so do so at your own risk for all the reasons stated above. It can also cause a lockup, thus the regulator is born.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:00 PM
Tired Old Man

I may be out of line here, but it's starting to look like some of the 2.4 systems aren't as good a deal as they first appeared. If the things are cutting off at voltages that up until the advent of 2.4 was a common usable voltage it may not be a good deal after all.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:24 PM
RTK

Just with the radios you run Pat
Old 09-13-2007, 05:43 PM
Tired Old Man

Neve a shortage of power with what I use
Old 09-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

2.4 was a common usable voltage it may not be a good deal after all.
I wasnt aware that 3.4v was a commonly used voltage. The ones that are having the problem are the same ones that were failsafing with 72mhz.
If you have a sytem that stays above FLAT then youre fine.
Its the same old thing..failure to read and failure to setup correctly.
The same guy who uses wire nuts for his servo connections also locked out a 2.4 system....guess what he declared the cause of the failure?