Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone Build a Stampe?

Has anyone built the 1/4scale Stampe made by a UK company?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Stampe

I have a 1/4 scale Precedent kit NIB that I plan to build late this year. Keep me advised of your progress please, Skip skipget@aol.com
    Highly skilled at at hiding new kits from wife ( Or so I thought)!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone Build a Stampe?

Hey Skip, that's the kit I'm building. Hope you have a lot of experience with building, the instructions are very, very vague. Fuse is coming along and is almost done, going to wait on sheeting.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone Build a Stampe?

I'm gonna tell you guys something that will help. I know it's gonna be a difficult kit to build but the rewards are gonna be awsome. I bought one already built a few yrs ago. It had been flown a lot when I got it and needed some TLC. I patched it up and installed A completely worn out Enya 120 that I had installed the C&H ignition on. PERFECT COMBO!!! I had more fun with this airplane than I had ever had with the exception of one other(a Pica Aeronca sedan).
    I don't remember what flying weight was but it wasn't overweight. Just keep it light and don't overpower it and you'll hava a champion.
    Wires, Fabric, and round engines. The only way to fly!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Stampe

I am an experienced builder and I have looked at the plans. It didn't look too difficult for the quick look I gave the kit. I actually bought the kit because they are no longer made . I had the idea to either sell or trade it. It does have a collectable value. It has to wait until I complete my Dively Pitts first and thats a year-long project.
    Highly skilled at at hiding new kits from wife ( Or so I thought)!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone Build a Stampe?

Wish I'd known it had collectable value, I wouldn't have built it.

Taildragger, you have a pic? I'm going to scale this thing out as much as possible. I've got plenty of pic of the full size done in lite blue and white. How or where is the radio gear installed? What kind of control linkages was used? I'm contemplating on a ys120 or magnum 91 four stroke, which would you use? If I use ys, I'm going to have to modify the fire wall.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone Build a Stampe?

Here is the pic that I'm going to model this one after.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3770_4234.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	3170  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone Build a Stampe?

I've got some 35mm pics but I can't scan them right now. I just bought a new computer w/ Windows XP and my scanner isn't compatible with it. It was done up in the British Rothman's show team colors. I would gop with 120 power. The 90 would pull it but you'd be wanting a little more gettyupgo. I can't remember a lot about where all the radio was installed but I do remember it had push-pull cables on Rudder and elevator. Mine had all the flying wires on it when I got it which looked real nice but at the time I was taking it out to fly at least every other day after work and decided to take them off to save some assembly time. I'll get my son to take the pics home and put em on a disc for me then i'll post em in a day or to.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone built a Stampe

I have a 75% done Stampe, SV4b and intend to finish it sometime this coming year. It was started by another builder and only needs one wing panel finished plus the detailing. Power intended is ST 2300 or 28 cc gas with ignition (but this combo is tight fit). If you want to see real Stampes to <www.16.brinkster.com/SV4b/engels/shots/page1.htm> There are other pages if you use Google to find them. I have talked to people who have flown them (models and real ones) and they are good with few bad habits.
    Cheers, Tom
    AMA #548591

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone Build a Stampe?

Upsidedwn, how did you do with the right wing panels? Anything I should look out for?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

pics

Here's some pics Benjijr. I've got some better ones but couldn't locate them right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

pics

Another one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone Build a Stampe?

Thanks Taildragger, that 's a good looking plane. Don't see any of those flying.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Stampe Building

The wing panels build okay, but mine have 1/16" thick rib, not particularly durable in my opinion. When you get the wing done it does seem strong and light. I'm not a fan of the 'blind' ribs and built up tips but would recommend making a copy of the ribs (I do this for every plane) so you can copy them if and when #$%. The attachment of the upper wing to the cabanes is not great, at least on my kit and I will modify this to make it more user friendly. I also don't like balsa under attachment screws so more work is needed here. The fuselage on the other hand seems strong and massive (remember I got this plane nearly framed) but the plywood box where the engine attaches is thin, beefing up will be done there. My kit is very old, been around several people before being started but reports are flying should be worth the effort, I certainly hope so. Cheers, Tom.
    Cheers, Tom
    AMA #548591

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone Build a Stampe?

Tom, what is the incident of upper and lower wing? As far as upper wing, I've set up middle section and bolted it in before installing the balsa so bolt heads set directly on ply. Seems to work out fine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Stampe Building

Checked all over the plans last night and found no reference to angle of incidence for either wing. I then measured the angles and as best I could see they were 5 degrees positive. Not believing this (high number) I scaled off the drawings which are in French translated (more or less) to English. The calculated angles are 3.7 degrees for the top wing and 3.6 degrees for the bottom wing. The bottom wing seems set by the wing saddle while on the upper one apparently the cabane support sets that angle if you build it like the plan. While the angles are quite high compared to Harry Higley's book on bipes that is what the plan indicated. The same angle is almost certainly on both and the difference is my measuring. My Pitts has 0 degrees on the bottom and +1 on top so the number seems high, maybe someone else can provide some insight. Hope this helps, if you have other questions please ask. Cheers, Tom.
    Cheers, Tom
    AMA #548591

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone Build a Stampe?

Tom, thanks. That's the numbers I was coming up with. Should I try and change these numbers, or should I try and fly it the way it is. I believe the stab has about the same numbers.

Taildragger, perhaps you might know the incidence of the plane your flying or can measure.

Thanks for the help. Wing incidence and radio gear installation was the primary reason for posting this thread.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone Build a Stampe?

I will check the 1/4 scale Tiger Moth that is also partly built for the angle of incidence on each wing. These are similar planes maybe someone can confirm the angles they utilise. Cheers, Tom.
    Cheers, Tom
    AMA #548591

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Anyone Build a Stampe?

I have finally found the right forum!
    I have bought a 12% scale STAMPE,
    with a nice blue aircraft (Stampe) drawing on top of the carton case,
    somehow I lost the wings-makig plans,
    Can anyone help ???
    [&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry, my mistake, 25% Scale . . . .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I started the Precedent several years ago and had it about 80% framed up. A friend of mine was going to finish it for me but when he passed away the plane disappeared and no one seems to know where it went.
    Anyway, as I remember the instructions were very limited, I think just a few pages.
    But the plans were very detailed and if you are good at reading prints, all the information you need is there.
    I think I still have a copy of the plans somewhere.
    I was going to do mine in the French Navy trainer scheme. Silver Coverite and large black anchor in the middle of the roundals.
    But alas, it is gone [] , I always wondered if how ever took it ever finished it. It has never showed up localy.
    OK I'll quit crying, I think that it is a very nice kit, but not for beginners.

Del Johnson
    FOKKERS FOREVER

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, It's Taildragger again. I stumbled across this thread again and thought I would inform you guys that luckily I reaquired the Stampe I owned years ago but it was in very poor cond. I commisioned my son to completly recondition it for me. But, romance has gotten in the way and is delaying the completion of my bird. They are getting married soon so maybe things will normalize a bit and I can get it finished. I did find a Fiberglass cowl to replace the old wooden one in the pics from Fibreglass specialties. Those of you who have seen the movie "High Road to China" will remember the two stampes used in that movie. I'm doing this one in the red and silver scheme. I loved the old weather worn look and since my finishing skills are limited it will be easy for me to make it look crappy. the ones in the movie are a different model but it's not going in any competition anyway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ol31333.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	170407   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni23527.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	170408  

hi just started building the 1/4 stampe how would the 91 magnum preform or would the 72 saito be enough power. also what is the incident of the upper and lower wings? thank you cheer allan(down under)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have only seen one fly (the Rothman's scheme) and it was many years ago. It had an OS120 four cycle and flew very well as I remember. Thats the engine I was going to put in mine.
    The 91 Magnum might fly it alright if you keep the weight, the Saito 72, probably good for taxi only[sm=lol.gif]
    If I can find the set of plans, I'll check the incidence.
    Have fun

Del Johnson
    FOKKERS FOREVER

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Stampe

ORIGINAL: Skip

I actually bought the kit because they are no longer made . I had the idea to either sell or trade it. It does have a collectable value.
    Actually, I believe they are being produced again.

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/Stampe-2201.htm