Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

SD Models/Aviation Models/TOC Xtreme 30%Extra 260

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

SD Models/Aviation Models/TOC Xtreme 30%Extra 260

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 09:01 PM
gwulle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SD Models/Aviation Models/TOC Xtreme 30%Extra 260

Has anyone built one of these and if so,I sure would like some info on it. I have one reserved at Troybuilt and I plan on putting a DA 50 in it. I have built the 30% Aeroworks Yak and was impressed with the quality of their ARF. I have heard that the SD Models version is every bit as good as the Aeroworks 260. Any ifo would be greatly appreciated.

Gaines
Old 08-21-2007, 09:10 PM
bobzilla
My Feedback: (63)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SD Models/Aviation Models/TOC Xtreme 30%Extra 260

You will love it..especially the hardware package that come with it. You can get the HP version I believe and get some nice extras (carbon fiber, etc) for great price.
I have a 30% and a 33% and love them.
I also have friend at field that just ordered his 30% from Troy last week and after inspection, a second friend ordered up also.

Bobzilla

Old 08-21-2007, 09:17 PM
gwulle

Bob;
Thanks for the reply! You made my day ! I was hoping I would get a reply like this. I have dealt with Troybuilt for a couple of years and so far they have been very helpful and straight on. I am on the list for the HP version,but I really wanted the 35% 260,but decided to crawl before I walk. My brother has me interested in the precision aerobatics and this seems to be the plane for that. It will not be in until the middle of next month,so I am gathering servos and the like so I will be ready when it arrives. Again thanks for the reply.

Gaines
Old 08-21-2007, 10:34 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine 30% from Chief Aircraft, and just finished putting it together. Besides top quality, I like the fact that SD models have all spare parts (e.g., fuse) available in US with very reasonable prices. This probably is very unique. Have done research after a less-repairable damage to the fuse of WH edge. SD-model wins big here.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:54 PM
bobzilla
My Feedback: (63)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree..and I also had problems getting spare parts from AW. I now have extra wings, rudder, elevator, cowling, canopy and gear for another SD. Just don't know if I want to mix and match colors..hehe..(2 previously crashed)

I did replace much of my original TOC1 with some carbon fiber..but now troy offers up the HP version of the plane with lots of nice carbon at a decent price.

Here is some info that shows difference between a wildhare or a SD-model

28% WildhareRC 84" - 1350sqin - 15.5-17lbs $429Hardware kit required + $75 = $504 + shipping from Tx
(A 70cc engine would be stretching the wingloading even more than a 50cc engine.)

30% SD-model 87" - 1422sqin - 16lbs $499 complete hardware kit included + shipping from Florida(Troy Built)
(Although a 50cc class plane...additional wingloading and wingspan allows a greater varience away from 50cc engine)

Old 08-22-2007, 05:53 AM
drewbags

Does anyone know how the SD/TOC1 Extra shapes up against the new BME/PAU Extra? I prefer the color schemes available for the SD one, but it looks as if the hardware is slightly better on the PAU and includes Carbon tubes I believe.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:27 PM
KWJ48

Here is a build [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4748892/tm.htm]thread[/link]. I flew mine a couple of times so far with a DL50, and it's very smooth.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:40 PM
lowslow

The HP version only comes with carbon reinforced wings, not carbon parts. The canopy is installed but without access to install a pilot. The firewall is installed but set up for a 3W engine ( would have been better to leave uninstalled but include a predrilled firewall for either DA or 3W ) so I had to reinstall the firewall anyway.The wing tube and landing gear are aluminum and the tailwheel it comes with will not hold up. The hardware isn't bad enough to say I wouldn't ever use it, but it's metric so I had to change the ball links on the servo side to use SWB servo arms. The overall quality is good and the value to price factor is good, but I wish they would package a true HP version with all carbon parts.
The small carbon tailwheel that Chief and TBM have advertised ( 24.95) is made by SD and is a well made part, and the wingtube TBM has is also good stuff and Graphtech has the landing gear now. Mine came in dry at 16 lbs. with all carbon, DA 50 with canister muffler, Fromeco lipo's, and the new Smartfly all in one unit.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:38 PM
zzw26n
My Feedback: (45)

lowslow,

That was good info, and will help me make good decision, thanks.

Ward
Old 08-24-2007, 04:58 AM
gwulle

lowslow;
Why did you have to re-install the firewall for the DA-50? I thought one of the improvements was the installed firewall and you use stand offs to get the engine where you wanted it.

Gaines
Old 08-25-2007, 10:31 AM
lowslow

gwulle, I would have hade to buy really short standoffs ( like 1.25" or so ) or fab something out of plywood. It looks as though they intended the 3w to be mounted directly ( with no standoffs )
to the firewall. I guess the advantage is the carb would have been in more shielded from air pressure changes but if you want to get at the carb or inspect or adjust connections it can be a pain ( I've gone this route before ) in the butt. I maidened mine yesterday and it flew very nice, it tracks very straight and once I get the CG right I think it will do both IMAC and 3D great.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:30 PM
gwulle

lowslow;
Glad to hear you had a good maiden flight. I guess I will tackle the firewall issue when the plane comes in. I am going to maiden my 1/3 GP Christen Eagle tomorrow. I have a OS 300 twin 4 stroke in it. What an awesome engine and the sound is incrediable. When it is at idle it sound like it has a cam in it. Thanks for the reply !!

Gaines
Old 08-25-2007, 11:27 PM
lowslow

gwulle, good luck, 4 strokes sound cool especially multi cylinder 4's.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:47 AM
ricardinho

hello i ordered the 35% sd 260 hp. it is on order and will take almost 3 months to get. i got the blue one. so how is the asembly ease with this plane. i got the one with the pre installed hinges and other things. all in all is this plane easy to build? i am going with the da 85 on mine with wrap around pitts muffler. bill hatcher from tbm said this is great combo. flying weight is 24 pounds.any info would be great .. thanks ricardinho
Old 08-08-2008, 12:43 PM
johnny9562

can some one tell me what throws your using on the control surfaces along with the amount of expo mine snaps so fast its sometimes
uncontrolable otherwise flys great
Old 01-06-2018, 03:22 PM
Wully
My Feedback: (26)

Hi Bob,
I see this is a 2007 thread but I wanted to ask anyway if SD Models was still in business and if they made the TOC 30% Extra 260?
thanks,
Frank
Old 01-07-2018, 12:19 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

My first thought is it would be a 10 year old design. Just my 'druthers, but if going to the trouble of building something like this, my focus would be on the latest and greatest, or a current design at least.