Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Kimball-Somenzini Python Build Thread

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Kimball-Somenzini Python Build Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 10:05 AM
samsrc
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kimball-Somenzini Python Build Thread

I bought a 4.5" carbon spinner for mine, but I agree with Chris...Bigger does usually look better...

Sam
Old 04-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Hooked-On-RC
My Feedback: (16)

Tru-turn 4.5" P51 Style is what Quique suggested!
Old 04-16-2008, 11:06 AM
pfact
My Feedback: (92)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you guys manage the weight up front? We already have two batteries under the turtle deck and 6oz of lead in the tail and it barely balances where Reza and the manual suggest - we are flying ours without a spinner.

Phil

Old 04-16-2008, 03:57 PM
storklappe

PFACT,

What type and size batteries do you have back in the turtle deck? Also, what type and size is your ignition battery? (I'm assumming that the ignition and battery are mounted as per the instructions.)
Old 04-16-2008, 03:58 PM
storklappe

PFACR,

Sorry I forgot to ask, how are you balancing the plane? Are you using a "Great Planes" type balancer or the "finger tip" method?
Old 04-19-2008, 03:00 PM
cwhite
My Feedback: (42)

I finished mine with a DA85 and it came in at just over 26lbs. Little more than I hoped for. Do you think it will still have good 3d power at that weight? Motor ran great. Seemed to get pretty hot on the first tank. Never had a DA so I don't know if they usually get hot or not. Any thoughts? I had to mount batteries even with rudder servo to balance.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:16 AM
Tipover
My Feedback: (44)

I have a nice old 3W 78B2 thats just broken in. I was wondering how it might haul this plane around. Engine weighs close to 7 lbs with the ignition and stock muffler setup. 78B2's have been known to swing a Menz 26-10 around 6000 rpm's. Anyone know what the actual weight of a DA-100 with ignition and stock mufflers weighs for comparison? I've just been thinking about a good home for this engine, and I thought a bipe in this weight range would be a good airframe. Maybe not a 3D rocket ship, but should be enough power for unlimited vertical even at 27 pounds?
Thanks for any insight.

Kevin
Old 04-20-2008, 02:27 AM
Rezagh
My Feedback: (73)

cwhite,

What is your set up? Power system, spinner and ignition battery?
What muffler are you using with your 85?
Did you run a tank on the ground? If so, please refrain to do so. It will damage the engine more than helping it break in. Break-in process should be done while flying on DA.

Thank you,
Reza
ORIGINAL: cwhite

I finished mine with a DA85 and it came in at just over 26lbs. Little more than I hoped for. Do you think it will still have good 3d power at that weight? Motor ran great. Seemed to get pretty hot on the first tank. Never had a DA so I don't know if they usually get hot or not. Any thoughts? I had to mount batteries even with rudder servo to balance.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:28 AM
Rezagh
My Feedback: (73)

Kevin,

Doesn't sound very good for unlimited vertical!

Reza
ORIGINAL: Tipover

I have a nice old 3W 78B2 thats just broken in. I was wondering how it might haul this plane around. Engine weighs close to 7 lbs with the ignition and stock muffler setup. 78B2's have been known to swing a Menz 26-10 around 6000 rpm's. Anyone know what the actual weight of a DA-100 with ignition and stock mufflers weighs for comparison? I've just been thinking about a good home for this engine, and I thought a bipe in this weight range would be a good airframe. Maybe not a 3D rocket ship, but should be enough power for unlimited vertical even at 27 pounds?
Thanks for any insight.

Kevin
Old 04-20-2008, 07:28 PM
cwhite

Oops, I ran one tank on the ground, about 8 oz. at a time. I kept the throttle low and I didn't hold it wide open. I got to maiden the plane today and got a total of 6 flights on her. At 26lbs and motor still new it had great pull out. Plane flew great. Harriers and hovers are fairly solid. Feels like its still a little nose heavy in a hover, nose wants to fall to the side slightly but not too bad. I was comfortable enough to get some pictures taken by a club member with the tail about 1' off of the ground. Blenders and inverted flat spins are great. upright flat spin is not as good as inverted for me. Just touch the rudder for knife edge. Rolling harriers on the first flight, they are very easy with this plane. Mine falls a little when inverted but just slightly. Lands great and looks great on the flight line. Good design guys!

My setup:

DA85
Slimline muffler
Ignition Battery - 4.8v Ellite 2000mah NiMH
Receiver Batteries - (2) 6v Ellite 2000mah NiMH
Receiver - JR R921 with 2 remote recievers
JR8711 for rudder
Hitec HS5955's for elevators and ailerons
Hitec HS5945 for throttle

Chris
Old 04-20-2008, 10:51 PM
Hooked-On-RC

One last question....for you boys that are still flying 72Mhz Radios, you obviously have your receiver mounted in the plane somewhere, where did you run your antenna wire? I have found that the antenna tube mounted in the turtle deck is too short for the entire length of antenna and I would rather have the antenna completely deployed rather than having some of it bundled up inside. What about running it outside the fuse, say down to the bottom and towards the tailwheel, anyone see any issues with this?
Old 04-21-2008, 10:13 AM
AQA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICTURES!!!
Old 04-21-2008, 06:30 PM
dickie boy

Has anyone come up with any good ideas for better securing the top half of the cowl. Mine seems to vibrate badly against the firewall.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:31 PM
cwhite

If you haven't purchased a spinner yet go with a 5" carbon. I got mine from Esprit Models for $74 and it looks great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62952.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	934290  
Old 04-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Hooked-On-RC

ORIGINAL: dickie boy

Has anyone come up with any good ideas for better securing the top half of the cowl. Mine seems to vibrate badly against the firewall.
I agree mine also does the same thing, I was thinking of doing much the same arrangement as the lower half of the cowl, say right at the top, one 4/40 socket head cap screw there, it should be better than without.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:02 AM
omsflyer

For the cowl loosing, I tried a VERY thin coat of clear silicone and that acts like a gasket of sorts...also did the same thing to the bottom of the canopy and have had no issues to date...but the coating has to be thin, wet your finger with alcohol and smear on thinly let dry...I just put the silicone on the part that touches the fuse area NOT the bottom half of the cowl...Charlie
Old 04-26-2008, 10:19 PM
cwhite

Five more flights on the Python today. I'm getting more comfortable and the engine is getting stronger. I worked on mixing adding some aileron and elevator mix to the rudder. Knife edge is really good now and does well in high alpha knife edge. I did notice something while flighing low harrier around the field. When making tight turns with the rudder and using opposite aileron to keep the plane flat I found that the ailerons can sometimes not be enough when using alot of rudder. This happened a couple times to me. Kinda scary. I'll get used to it and as long as you back off of the rudder the plane will flatten out. Hope this makes sence. Did some great knife edge spins and blenders. Rolling harriers are super easy and fun. Once again, great plane.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:47 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

What is the field assembly like-how long is it taking you guys to put together ?
Old 04-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Hooked-On-RC

In the grand scheme of things why does it matter how long it takes to put the python together. if you want a plane where you can show up at the field, go fly in like 5 seconds and then pack up and go home...stick with foamies. Large scale Biplanes take a few minutes to put together. It took me 11 minutes to put mine together in my back yard, that included 2 minutes to run into the house and get a replacement socket head cap screw after I dropped one in the long grass! I had a helper as well...found the best way to do it was to install the upper wing when the plane is standing on it's nose, then install the lower wing and then the cabane struts once it is back on the ground!...nice to have a helper
Old 04-28-2008, 11:06 PM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

I think the first assembly my buds python had on his took 15 to 20 min but that included us cutting up.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:12 AM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: Hooked-On-RC

In the grand scheme of things why does it matter how long it takes to put the python together. if you want a plane where you can show up at the field, go fly in like 5 seconds and then pack up and go home...stick with foamies. Large scale Biplanes take a few minutes to put together.
Umm ok-Sorry I held a gun to your head and made you type a reply to my ridiculous question-thanks for the help
Old 04-29-2008, 09:07 AM
newshoundaussie

Old 04-29-2008, 09:10 AM
newshoundaussie

4 bolts upper wings, 8 bolts for the 2 cabanes and 2, 1/4x20 nylon thumb screws on lower wings, also 4 connections for aileron servos. Two wing tubes plus small tube on bottom wing. No flying wires to hook up each time, not bad for the size of this plane. Estimate 10 to 15 minutes with practice.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:20 AM
dickie boy

I put mine together on a table. It makes it way easier to put together. Fifteen on my own and under ten with help.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: newshoundaussie

4 bolts upper wings, 8 bolts for the 2 cabanes and 2, 1/4x20 nylon thumb screws on lower wings, also 4 connections for aileron servos. Two wing tubes plus small tube on bottom wing. No flying wires to hook up each time, not bad for the size of this plane. Estimate 10 to 15 minutes with practice.
Got it! Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.