Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Kimball-Somenzini Python Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Kimball-Somenzini Python Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 12:55 AM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kimball-Somenzini Python Build Thread

forgive my mistyping of my thought. Make the plane more nose heavy ... fill in the rest
Old 05-07-2008, 11:55 AM
zzw26n
My Feedback: (45)

ORIGINAL: KJKimball

As soon as I have it dressed out, I will post some shots for you guys. I am having the graphics made by the same guy that made the full size python graphics for me.

Kevin

Mr. Kimball,

Order two sets of Graphics, Please! I'll buy the second set, pay for shipping, etc.

Ward
Old 05-07-2008, 04:49 PM
KJKimball

Ward,

I should have them tomorrow so I can get them on for Joe Nall. I don't know the price yet so I think it is better to wait and see what they run. I will let you know once I have them.

Kevin
Old 05-07-2008, 05:35 PM
zzw26n

ORIGINAL: KJKimball

Ward,

I should have them tomorrow so I can get them on for Joe Nall. I don't know the price yet so I think it is better to wait and see what they run. I will let you know once I have them.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin ......... I have time, no rush.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:40 PM
dickie boy

I've played with cg a bit and mine pulls toward the gear regardless. The slower your doing knife edge the more elevator needed. I ended up using a five point curve to get it right for different speeds. It's pretty much hands off now on knife edge. Just assign your mixing for a couple of flight modes and then turn it off for your 3d mode. I've got close to a hundred flights on mine and almost have it perfect now. It's hard to spend the time mixing, once you get it in the air all you want to do is tear up the sky instead of doing set up.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:27 AM
JIMMYTHEEAGLE
My Feedback: (47)

Well I think I had the first shipped python last fall and probably out of all those shipped in the first group, mine is probably the last to fly. I flew the first three flights last night and it was worth the wait. I've had 3-4 biplanes in my lifetime and none of them were good for precision. QuiQue said that this plane presents well, snaps well and flys straight. He is absolutely correct. This plane will fly all the IMAC sequences and present very well to the judges. I have to now decide if I will practice and compete with the python or my 40 percent carden extra. So far what I like most for precision flying is the snaps that stop on a dime, half rolls that are quick and precise and rolling circles are so easy I found my self way ahead of 4 rolls per circle that I had to slow everything down in my head. Also, one roll per circle is very easy with this plane.

My set-up is a little different from previous posts so I will list it. DA 100 on cannisters no surprises there. I'm still coming on and off the cannisters at low idle so a have a little fiddling to do with the needles. I'm using two DMS2 7 channel receivers with fromeco battery, regulator and switch on each one. One receiver has left and right lower ailerons, left elevator and one of two rudder servos on a swb pulley dual servo tray. Other receiver has throttle both upper wing ailerons and right elevator and the second rudder servo. Three flights yesterday and some range checking for a total of 39 minutes and my batteries under load went from a starting voltage of 8.03 to 7.88 and the other battery at 7.92. Looks like I could fly for a week Need to cut some graphics for it now it it will be ready for the season.

I did some 3D on two of the flights. My low needle setting is a little off so I was either underpowered or overpowered for torque rolls but it is very easy to find the point at which it starts to rotate and hold it. Rolling harriers are awesome and you can do 4 point rolls in high alpha very easily. I did the slowest high alpha knife edge ever first time and then applied power and did 3/4 of a knife edge loop. I bailed out on the last quarter(Hey it's a new plane!) but I'm sure it would have pulled through. I'm looking forward to getting things dialed in. I would like to switch to the 12X radio when it comes in for the 3rd rate. I'm a little nose heavy and I would like a 3rd rate for landing to have a little extra elevator. With two rates I have a precision rate and a 3D rate. I'm landing a little hot now because I don't want to run out of elevator. Jim
Old 05-19-2008, 11:55 AM
zzw26n

Nice write-up Jim! looking forward to mine.

ORIGINAL: JIMMYTHEEAGLE

Well I think I had the first shipped python last fall and probably out of all those shipped in the first group, mine is probably the last to fly. I flew the first three flights last night and it was worth the wait. I've had 3-4 biplanes in my lifetime and none of them were good for precision. QuiQue said that this plane presents well, snaps well and flys straight. He is absolutely correct. This plane will fly all the IMAC sequences and present very well to the judges. I have to now decide if I will practice and compete with the python or my 40 percent carden extra. So far what I like most for precision flying is the snaps that stop on a dime, half rolls that are quick and precise and rolling circles are so easy I found my self way ahead of 4 rolls per circle that I had to slow everything down in my head. Also, one roll per circle is very easy with this plane.

My set-up is a little different from previous posts so I will list it. DA 100 on cannisters no surprises there. I'm still coming on and off the cannisters at low idle so a have a little fiddling to do with the needles. I'm using two DMS2 7 channel receivers with fromeco battery, regulator and switch on each one. One receiver has left and right lower ailerons, left elevator and one of two rudder servos on a swb pulley dual servo tray. Other receiver has throttle both upper wing ailerons and right elevator and the second rudder servo. Three flights yesterday and some range checking for a total of 39 minutes and my batteries under load went from a starting voltage of 8.03 to 7.88 and the other battery at 7.92. Looks like I could fly for a week Need to cut some graphics for it now it it will be ready for the season.

I did some 3D on two of the flights. My low needle setting is a little off so I was either underpowered or overpowered for torque rolls but it is very easy to find the point at which it starts to rotate and hold it. Rolling harriers are awesome and you can do 4 point rolls in high alpha very easily. I did the slowest high alpha knife edge ever first time and then applied power and did 3/4 of a knife edge loop. I bailed out on the last quarter(Hey it's a new plane!) but I'm sure it would have pulled through. I'm looking forward to getting things dialed in. I would like to switch to the 12X radio when it comes in for the 3rd rate. I'm a little nose heavy and I would like a 3rd rate for landing to have a little extra elevator. With two rates I have a precision rate and a 3D rate. I'm landing a little hot now because I don't want to run out of elevator. Jim
Old 05-27-2008, 07:58 AM
JIMMYTHEEAGLE

I know have 9 flights on mine and all is going well. Having some tuning issues with the cannisters that I installed and wondered if anyone had some suggestions or similar problems. Using DA 100 that was new last spring. Flew last year on standard mufflers with no issues. Using new fuel this spring and running a second DA 100 on mufflers and it is running fine. Basically, with the cannisters it is changing sound or pitch on 45 degree uplines. When slowed down to 3D idle, it seems like it's loading up almost to the point it wants to die so it's limited my time at low speeds. It never has died yet and every landing the motor has continued running. After switching to the cannisters the first thing I noticed is that the high end needle had to be leaned as the the motor wouldn't reach full power. I've also been leaning the low needle(three times now) and neither the low idle or the pitch changes in transition are getting any better. Is it normal to lean both needles when going to cannisters? I'm guessing these are KS, (ordered from DA) and they match the cannisters in the installation pictures on the QQ Pitts assembly manual. They're installed exactly per these instructions. Any help would be appreciated. thanks, Jim
Old 06-02-2008, 02:57 PM
ArmandD

Hi guys. I have been flying my Python like crazy since about March. I have about 10 gallons through it already!
I am uploading some pics for you to check out. Notice that I filled in the bottom of the plane...

Armand
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96172.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	962326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58235.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	962327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75761.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	962328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39644.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	962329  
Old 06-08-2008, 07:05 PM
Rezagh
My Feedback: (73)

Jim,

Cannisters in the manual are MTW75. What is your needle setting on the low end?

Armand great pics

Reza
Old 06-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Rezagh

VIDEO

Guys,

I was invited to do a demo flight at one of our local clubs that has over 400 members. This was Scale Squadron of Southern California event. This happened yesterday 06-08-08. Here's the link directly to the video http://www.RCModelAviator.com/Videos...dronFunFly.wmv or you can go to my website www.RCModelAviator.com and select the video under Videos button. This event was great. Many attendance and was run very smooth.

It was windy but plane did great. Hope you enjoy it some.

Reza
Old 06-09-2008, 08:49 AM
JIMMYTHEEAGLE

Reza,

I'm just inside of 1 3/8 on the low and still 1 1/2 on the high. I'm having a very hard time getting a good engine sound on the low end. It sound like it's loading up when I bring the throttle to idle or just above and I start into rolling harriers. After a couple of revolutions the motor is running rough and power has dropped off. 2-3 clicks of increase throttle brings the motor out but then the engine rpm is too high to continue with the rolling circles. I did put on a carb plate but that had zero improvement. I'm going to change out the plugs and disassemble the carb to look for any stray debris. There just isn't any reason for the motor to run this way. I bought the headers and pipes that are recommended for the plane, installed correctly and the motor ran great all last year on standard mufflers before I removed it and put it in the python. I either have an issue with the carb drawing fuel internally or with my engine baffling tht I installed I've created some type of air pressure void that is pulling fuel out of the carb. On 45 degree uplines and the correct lighting you can see a thin, white vapor trail leaving the plane which must be unburnt fuel leaving the carb. The plywood ring that runs along the bottom of the cowl is damp and stained at the bottom of the cowl from the fuel leaving the carb. I'm tempted to just remove the upper and lower baffle plates that I installed and let the air rush under the motor. I'm curious if there are any python flyers that are using the cans and also baffled the engine for cooling. Thanks, Jim
Old 06-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Hooked-On-RC
My Feedback: (16)

I have heard of other guys having this problem and what they do is too take the carb diaphram cover off. Solder a 1/8 brass tube over the vent hole making sure not to solder the hole shut, then run a vent line inside the fuselage. Doing this makes the carb less susceptable to pressure changes. You can also direct the vent tube back over top of the carb venturi opening, that also helps. Report back I am curious if you note any changes by doing this!
Old 06-09-2008, 08:39 PM
crazyjoseph
My Feedback: (3)

I baffled mine top and bottom DA100 on standard mufflers. It runs great. Here are some pics before paint.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77998.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	967561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39740.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	967562  
Old 06-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Running the carb vent inside the fuse, or outside the cowl has helped me with similar issues. I've also found that with cans, the carb inlet is usually not around open air as much as with stock mufflers. Baffeling the engine also helps keep turbulant air away from the carb inlet in certain manuvers when using cans instead of stock mufflers.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:36 PM
zzw26n

ORIGINAL: Hooked-On-RC

Well I maidened my Kimball Python today and all I have got to say is WOW....luckily for me we had very little wind today and this presented a perfect opportunity for me to maiden my plane. With a DA100 this plane took off in about 30 feet and just continued to climb...I needed NO trim adjustments at all. I do note though when I turn to knife edge she has a tendency to pull towards the gear...any suggestions? Quique and Mr. Kimball you have designed one hell of a nice plane, now all I have to do is learn how to fly it...

May I ask who did your Graphics? They look just like the ones on Kevin Kimball's Python? I want a set for my Plane!

Ward
Old 07-05-2008, 05:08 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

I caught our buddy VooDoo (AKA Doug) that getting some stick time on a borrowwed Python. Guess what, he now wants one.

This one with the new DA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdjwF...n-ffaa-97.html
Old 07-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Rezagh

Very nice video. Your buddy is a good pilot
I'm sure he will like his
Old 07-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Hooked-On-RC

ORIGINAL: zzw26n

May I ask who did your Graphics? They look just like the ones on Kevin Kimball's Python? I want a set for my Plane!

Ward
with the exception of a few stock decals that came with the on board equipment I put in my plane, all of my grpahics were supplied by Bad Brad Graphics. He did and excellent job and worked with me to make teh graphics look perfect based on where I was placing them on the plane.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:01 PM
acroguy

Hey guys...got "Crow" to work using a 10X!!!
Have about 20 flights on my QQ Python and I must say it is an awsum aircraft.
Saw QQ fly the Pythons at the Nall and I was impressed when he would use the "Crow" feature.
I set-up that feature with a 10X and found a simple way to get it to work.
I had my plane initially set-up with right ailerons on chan 6 and left ailerons on chan 2.
I have match boxes on both of those channels to allow setting up each aileron individually.
Crow would not work in that set-up when using the "Flap" function due to both ailerons on the same side going in the same directions.
I moved both upper ailerons to the opposite channels (rt upper ail to ch 2, left upper to ch 6).
Re-center the upper ailerons using the matchbox and activate the "Flap" function.
Success!!!
Flew it today and it works awsum...takes some getting use to it, but the downlines are like its on a parachute!!!!
Old 07-18-2008, 04:18 PM
turboratt

so has this thread hit a wall or something lol
Old 07-20-2008, 02:45 AM
Hooked-On-RC

well I have been ringing mine out and finding that it is still quite nose heavy. I am working on moving stuff around in order to eliminate the need to add tail weight. Love the way it flies, truly a predicatable plane and very docile or very agressive, which ever you choose to fly. Love the way it presents it self in the air!
Old 08-26-2008, 02:23 PM
rtn9105
My Feedback: (35)

What setup are you guys running for RX & battery? I'm trying to decide if I should use duel receivers & batteries or use the Smart Fly power tray with 1 RX.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:15 PM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

both of my friends are using 1 rx 2 batts one with power distribution nd the other a full fledged emcotec.

IMO your fine going 1 good RX and 2 batts.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:35 PM
turboratt

keep it light one rec two batts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.