Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Kimball-Somenzini Python Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Kimball-Somenzini Python Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 09:56 PM
crazyjoseph
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kimball-Somenzini Python Build Thread

here is mine
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25024.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1021424  
Old 08-29-2008, 01:07 PM
rtn9105
My Feedback: (35)

Thanks for the info and picture guys. I've got a couple more questions.

crazyjoseph, The setup in your picture is pretty much exactly what I'm thinking of using, what servos are you running on your Python? I'm planning to use 8611's and 8711's but with those servos and the power expander I'm not sure how to get all of the servos adjusted to have matching ceter and end points.

I also have some question about the aileron horns and push rods. In the picture you can see how far off center the servo arm is with the aileron centered. I have the pushrod exactly 18mm between the rod ends. Also with the control horn 35mm up from the hinge line the horn only threads onto the bolt about half way down, I'm a little concerned with this, is that what you guys are flying with?

Name:	Pn35549.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1021647  
Old 08-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Rezagh
My Feedback: (73)

rtn,

You have mounted the servo in the wrong direction. Your output shaft should be towards the leading edge of the wing. Hope this helps, Reza
Old 08-29-2008, 01:26 PM
haddow

RTN

As Reza has pointed out the servo is in backwards and that will help with half of your issue. I used the same hardware you are using and there is no way to get 35 mm up from the hingline and have any of the bolt threading into the horn as you have found out. I just made the gap as large as I could and still feel comfortable with the depth of the bolt into the horn. I am likely at about 30mm instead of 35. I still get lots of throw and am happy with the aileron setup the way it is. You will have to use a longer bolt of you want to acheive 35mm as far as I can tell.

Jody
Old 08-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Rezagh

Jody,

That's perfectly fine at 30 mm
Guys,

Jody made a very good point, please make sure that you have enough thread left, don't just go by the distance given in the thread, although it did work for me at the time. I must've had a longer bolt or epoxied shorter into the the wing! I don't remember.

Thank you,
Reza
Old 08-29-2008, 01:35 PM
rtn9105
My Feedback: (35)

OK I feel like an idiot on the servo direction
Thanks for the info on the bolt length.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:50 PM
haddow

Reza

I am using (and likely RTN as well) the rubber washer on the cap side of the bolt so we are "wasting" a whole bunch of bolt length on the top side of the aileron. Not using the big rubber washer and cutting the bolt (as per one of the two options you have described in the manual) will free up some bolt length and is likely the reason you were able to acheive 35mm without any trouble.

Reza, rumour had that you were coming to Victoria BC this year for the air show?! Sorry you couldnt make it I was looking forward to meeting you.
Since QQ cant make it next year, I guess you are our new Demo guy?!! I have a Python (or the H9 Ultimate) waiting here for you for next year.

Jody Haddow
Old 08-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Rezagh

Hi Jody,

Sorry I missed it. Too much going on plus adding the cost of the trip and all that, I couldn't make it. We'll see about next year, I certainly would love to see you guys if I get invited.

I agree with you using the washer method will leave less bolt length but at 30mm you should still be fine.

Thanks for the kind words,
Reza
Old 08-29-2008, 10:04 PM
pfact
My Feedback: (92)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys,

Anybody know anything about this: jimkimballenterprises.com/web/more-news.php?id_news=14 read the 4th paragraph.

Phil

Old 08-29-2008, 10:24 PM
crazyjoseph
My Feedback: (3)

Reza wrote the Manuel. I made up all my control rods to his exact measurements and it worked out great. I used hitec 5955s on everything but the rudder where I used one 8711. I used a programmer for the 5955s but since their are only one servo per ail you I would think you could do it mechanically. I'm sure Reza can help you out since he is a JR guy.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:45 AM
KJKimball

Phil,

I know A LOT about it. Pretty cool huh! Look for more info after Quique returns from the contest at Clover Creek. I just talked to him last night and the airplane is a HUGE HIT at the show. He is using it for precision so that gives you an idea of how well it flies..... He is using his 85cc python, same one he had a t Joe Nall, for free style since he only has one Ti-12 right now until the second one is finished in a few weeks. That'll give him 2 of them for the Tucson Aerobatic Shootout.

Thanks for checking the news on our website. Good to know someone reads that stuff.........

ORIGINAL: pfact

Hi guys,

Anybody know anything about this: jimkimballenterprises.com/web/more-news.php?id_news=14 read the 4th paragraph.

Phil

Old 08-30-2008, 05:58 PM
RICK9303
My Feedback: (172)

After a good deal of time reading the entire thread, I would like to know if a 8711 in the tail for rudder would help in balancing Pythons with DA100's and canisters, and a alum spinner? This looks like another QQ winner, and one more of his planes to add to my hanger.
Reza, has any mods to the cowl been done on the newest releases, or should I plan on going thru the slight mods to get a tight fit? What about using carbon fiber dowels like the Yak 86 inch has for the canopy hatch? Do you know if they have Pythons 100cc in the Kimball scheme in stock now ?
Thanks Rick
Old 08-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Rezagh

Rick,

We do have Python Kimball Scheme. Canopy doesn't need the anti-rotation pin because it is very short in comparison to the Yak. We opened all the boxes of previous shipment and fixed the cowl. I do not know of the new shipment. I am assuming it would be the same. When you call, please do ask about the cowl.

Sorry I haven't taken the plane out yet. I have not forgotten about your request

Reza
Old 08-31-2008, 05:34 AM
storklappe

What are the differences between the RC version of the Ti-12 and the Python?
Old 08-31-2008, 07:11 PM
Rezagh

Hi Bob,

Good to hear from you. Best person to ask that question is Kevin Kimball.
I know a little not much to comment on it.

How's everything going?

Reza
Old 09-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Any more flight videos ?
Old 09-10-2008, 08:42 PM
3-D Flyer
My Feedback: (150)

Reza, i am looking at picking up one of these in the very near future, selling a couple things to make room first..... ( i am starting to downsize my fleet) I have not had the chance to look thru this entire thread yet, but i wanted to know if anyone has smoked their python and if the extra weight is not desirable in this airframe....... Video would be great, if anyone has one! Thanks all!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:43 AM
torqmeister

ORIGINAL: 3-D Flyer

Reza, i am looking at picking up one of these in the very near future, selling a couple things to make room first..... ( i am starting to downsize my fleet) I have not had the chance to look thru this entire thread yet, but i wanted to know if anyone has smoked their python and if the extra weight is not desirable in this airframe....... Video would be great, if anyone has one! Thanks all!
I have smoke on mine, with an AUW of 26lb 14oz. My Python performs beautifully. Good luck.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:54 AM
3-D Flyer
My Feedback: (150)

[quote]ORIGINAL: torqmeister

ORIGINAL: 3-D Flyer

I have smoke on mine, with an AUW of 26lb 14oz. My Python performs beautifully. Good luck.

Thanks torqmeister..... thats good to hear. Any chance of some pix of it with the smoke on??

Old 09-16-2008, 07:46 PM
joshatapp

Does anyone have pics of their python with the smoke system installed. An inside view would be great as to where people are placing the smoke tank and pump system. Thanks for you help.

Josh
Old 09-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Ratsrepus2

I am

Name:	Ki18513.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1035127  
Old 09-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Ratsrepus2

Sorry for my wrong post! I did not know how to show fotos. Does someone know whatfor the parts on the foto are.

Thank you
Old 09-17-2008, 01:31 PM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

Those are wing spacers for removing the wings with out having to remove the cabaines. The theory is that you put these on the leading edge and trailing edge ( using rubber bands to hold the front piece to the rear peice ) of the top and bottom wings near the fuse side then slide both wings off the tubes leaving the 2 left and/or 2 right wings intact thereby speeding up the time it takes to assemble and disassemble this plane.

I tried to explain this the best i can since i dont have a photo to show how its done.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:12 AM
Ratsrepus2

Hi flatlandmike,
thank you for your fast response. I am very glad having guys like you helping me build this excellent plane. Maybe you can help me identify also two other parts that I found in my box. The parts are shown in the added fotos.

Greets from Bavaria
Peter

Name:	Fd91863.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1035513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90457.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1035514  
Old 09-19-2008, 01:00 AM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

Not sure. I would have to see more pics closer and at other angles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.