Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Redundant battery setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 08:26 PM
mikejr718

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redundant battery setup

I have a short HD y-harness for my 2x 4800mah Reilion batteries. I didnt have any extra plug ins on the 7ch RX. It works fine but I know someone said that you want them going into the reciever into two different places. I never thought amp draw would be a problem on this plane. I have an spektrun AR-7000. The plane is a 102in QQ gen II yak with 8611a servos on every thing except for thottle and choke. Thats a total of 8 8611As. This way I dont have to y them in with any servos. I Thought this would be fine on this plane I would only be concerned on a 40%er.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:05 AM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

Default RE: Redundant battery setup

Hi,

By plugging both batteries into a single y harness, you are back to a single point of failure and partially defeat the reason for the dual battery setup. Put the Y harness on one of the servo plug in pin and run the second battery and servo off the same set of pins via the Y harness. Also, you should have a switch on each battery.

Elson
Old 09-05-2007, 06:09 AM
ifshnee-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Just a word of caution:
Your current demand with your set up seems to far exceed the rating of the connector. Take it as only trying to be helpful
Old 09-07-2007, 11:59 AM
thevirginian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read the other day, the two batteries don't have to have the same amps, but the same voltage. Does that mean I can hook together a 2400mA Lipo and a 1700mA Lipo? Both are two cells?
Old 09-07-2007, 02:59 PM
teookie

My friend built a simple circuit that switches from a 6V battery to a 4.8V battery if there is a failure of the 6V for whatever reason. Apparently it consists of just one or two diodes (might be more to it but I think thats the gist of it). If there is interest I can get the schematic from him and post it here. This is more of a protection against dead batteries as it does not duplicate plug ins to the receiver.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:58 PM
fokker fan

ORIGINAL: teookie

My friend built a simple circuit that switches from a 6V battery to a 4.8V battery if there is a failure of the 6V for whatever reason. Apparently it consists of just one or two diodes (might be more to it but I think thats the gist of it). If there is interest I can get the schematic from him and post it here. This is more of a protection against dead batteries as it does not duplicate plug ins to the receiver.
Yep, I'd be keen to have a look at a circuit diagram for that thanks