Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Northwest hobby technologys

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Northwest hobby technologys

Old 02-26-2002, 03:48 PM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Northwest hobby technologys

Anybody purchased and/or built a plane kit from this company? They produce a unique line of large scale aircraft using foam sheeted with balsa. I am thinking of purchasing one but am unsure of the quality. Any input welcome
Thanks
Brian
Old 02-26-2002, 10:01 PM
Jack Devine
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NWHT Kits

Hi Brian, I have built twelve of the NWHT kits and they are all great airplanes. They build very differently and I think that is why this line is so misunderstood. They are very strong and with a little extra time can become very scale in appearence. All of the kits are designed using manufacturer 3 Views and the shapes are calculated from there and they are accurate. The foam quality and the cutting is outstanding and the fiberglass parts such as the cowl and the lexan parts like the canopy are all manufactered by NWHT and they are top quality as well. You can build one of these planes in less than half the time it would take you to finish a stick and rib plane of this size. 11 of the kits I built were Warbirds and one was a Gee Bee R-2. They have fully semetrical wings on them and they fly beautifully. Most of the 85" span models are under 20 pounds ready to fly so wing loading is light. THE MID 90" wingspan models are just over twenty pounds with retracts in them. The owner of the company Cark Hicky is a nice guy to deal with and he is always available to give customers advice on building a NWHT model. I am a totally satisfied customer and I'm currently waiting for my B-25 which is supposed to be available mid next month. Email me if you have any other questions.

Jack Devine
Old 02-26-2002, 10:11 PM
CUB1
My Feedback: (11)

Default Focke Wulf 190

Hi Jack,
By any chance did you build or have one of NHT Focke Wulf 190.
I would like to know what weight it came out to be and what engine did you use.
I have a Sachs 2.0 that is looking for a new plane to fly!
Old 02-27-2002, 05:11 AM
Ed

Default Don Hopper

Here is a Pic of my friend Don Hopper, the Zimbabwe Scale Masters Champion, with his newly finished NWHobbytech FW - 190. I'll dig out his E address for you, and / or get flying results for you. And yes, they build great, I've got one of their Gee Bees on the bench right now.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4071_175.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	3370  
Old 02-27-2002, 06:26 AM
gbzrace4
My Feedback: (1)

Default North West Hobby Technologys

I have a question for Jim or Jack.

Do either of you know what adhesive NWHT uses for the foam to balsa lamination?

I have run two very simple, limited tests using "Weldbond" as a contact adhesive by applying the glue to both surfaces, allowing the glue dry until it is clear and glossy before joining the two surfaces; this seems to produce a good bond, but, I have no idea how the sheeting to foam bond will hold up to the sun and other factors the bond will be subjected to.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Ed Goolsby
Old 02-27-2002, 07:08 AM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

Default Foam Bonding

Try this from the NWHT site.

http://www.nwhobbytech.com/foam_technology.htm
Old 02-27-2002, 01:10 PM
CUB1

Jim,
Thanks for posting the pic of the FW-190, that is a nice looking bird.
Do you know the weight and engine size Don used?
I`m really thinking about ordering one of these kits before the sale go off.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:33 PM
Ed

Default Ed & John

They use NWH's own product called FOAM BOND, and it's excellent stuff.

Secondly - I have just emailed Don Hopper on his FW-190, and have asked him to reply to this thread.

Jim
Old 02-28-2002, 01:09 AM
Jack Devine

Default NWHT Foam Bond

The glue marketed by NWHT like Jim said is called Foam Bond. I built all of my NWHT (12) planes with this glue and have not had any failures. It's easy to work with and My corsair has been together for over seven years and it still looks great. You apply it with a nap style paint roller and let it set up and put the parts together. I use a 6" wood formica roller that Carl recommended when I bought my first kit from him, to roll the balsa down and I spray the back side of any sheeting that has to go around any bends with ammonia so it is very pliable.
It works like contact glue so you need to test fit your balsa panels before you roll on the glue. I make little tick marks on the wings and fuselage and matching marks on the sheeting and it lays right down. I'm very satisfied with Foam Bond.

Jack Devine
Old 02-28-2002, 01:44 AM
Jack Devine

Default FW 190

Cub 1: My Folke Wulf 190 weighed 19 pounds when it was finished. I used a US 41 engine in it with a Quadra Carburator on it. The motor had good power and the plane flew well. I had five flights on it and sold it to a friend who was driving me nuts about buying it. The kit is a straight forward build and Carl's canopy and cowl are really nice pieces. The wing has the typical NWHT symetrical airfoil and that is what makes these planes fly so well.
I installed Robart 622 retracts and then modified the retract to limit the down travel so the gear looked right when it was down.
I built a different stop block in the retract that limits the throw of the gear to about 80 degrees but still allows it to lock. That was a lot of work. Using the gear in the stock form would work fine too. The wing is large and I cut in my own split flaps. On a foam wing this is very easy to do. I added them to my NWHT Sea Fury as well. They make these planes really easy to land and rock stable all the way to touchdown. I'm going to build another one when I get time and I think I will stay with about the same size engine. I might try a G-45 that I have. I painted it like the picture on the website from 9./JG 2 Richthofen which flew in northern France up near the English Channel in 1942. I love the black Butcher Bird on the side of the fuselage. It is one mean looking fighter.
Old 02-28-2002, 02:04 AM
CUB1

Jack,
Thanks for getting back with the info on your FW-190.
On NHT website it says all up weight should be 12 to 16lbs., I figured that was too light for that size plane....being it has a 82" wingspan.
Old 02-28-2002, 02:23 AM
Jack Devine

Default NWHT FW 190

I fiberglass all of my NWHT kits and that adds a little weight. Most of the 80 -85" kits come in at about 20 pounds. The larger kits like the Seafury and the P-47s are near 30 pounds with all of the scale accessories. They all fly very well and at 20 pounds on the FW 190 you still have light wing loading.

I use the fiberglass because it gives me the type of surface I need to get my nice shiney paint jobs. They resist hanger rash much better too. The paint still looks new after several years.
Old 02-28-2002, 02:31 AM
gbzrace4
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: NWHT

Jack and Jim,

Thanks for the information.

When the time comes I will order some Foam Bond from NWHT; my project will get started when I get more building space and my back gets better. I had two discs removed from my lower back and I am in the process of healing and adjusting after the operation.

Thanks again,

Ed Goolsby
Old 02-28-2002, 03:21 AM
Ed

Default JOHN

Originally posted by CUB1
Jim,
Thanks for posting the pic of the FW-190, that is a nice looking bird.
Do you know the weight and engine size Don used?
I`m really thinking about ordering one of these kits before the sale go off.
John: Here is what Don Hopper has in his NWHT FW - 190.

"The plane weigh 20 lbs. w/3.2 cu. in. Brison engine with a 20x10 prop to pull it around and Robart retractable gear with a Dynamic Balsa, FW190 cockpit and pilot. It's covered in white Solartex to represent the German fighter aircraft on the Russian front." - Don Hopper,
Zimbabwe Scale Masters Champion

Actual photo of Don after his last win.
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2002, 11:06 AM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Default Paging Jack Devine

Jack,

Is your e-mail working? Have sent two e-mails with questions in regards to the Bearcat articulating retract plans that we discussed several weeks ago and have not received a reply.

Contact me at [email protected]

Thank's
Old 02-28-2002, 01:16 PM
CUB1

Jim,
Thanks for the info on Don`s plane.
That Brison 3.2 is a great engine and I know he has power to spare with that combo.

Mike Huckins emailed me some more pics of Don`s plane and all of them are excellent.

Jim and Jack, thanks for all your help and info.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:11 AM
topgun42usa
My Feedback: (142)

Default RE: Northwest hobby technologys

Where or who has wood over foam kits...dont know where to look..thanks..is a list of any one doing kits...thanks..