Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

CA 31% Extra 300L ground clearance (or lack thereof)

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

CA 31% Extra 300L ground clearance (or lack thereof)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 07:38 AM
TT2
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA 31% Extra 300L ground clearance (or lack thereof)

I just put the main gear, tail gear and prop on the 31% Extra I'm building to check the ground clearance. When the tail is elevated so that the thrust line is horizontal to the ground, the prop (Mejzlik 26x10) only clears the ground by 1 1/4". I'm using 4" wheels.

Sounds like some taller landing gear is in order, but how much more ground clearance will I need...1"? 2"? I fly off a grass field.

I plan on making some carbon fiber gear for this plane to replace the aluminum and save 4 to 5 ounces...I'm just wondering how tall I should make it.

-Tom
Old 03-22-2003, 01:40 PM
otisflies

Hey Tom,

While you're at it I'd really like a new set of taller gear for mine. I don't really want to be cutting the grass with my $80 prop. I had someone else making a set for me but they are taking forever. If you can make me a set please email me a price. If not that's OK too.

Terry
Old 03-22-2003, 09:31 PM
TT2

The gear design I ended up with is slightly over 1 1/2" taller and 2" wider. I had to widen it to maintain the proportions of the curvature otherwise it would have looked strange. Sound good? Let me know if you think it needs more height.

What kind of finish do you want? I've got carbon/kevlar hybrid twill weave cloth in blue/black, red/black and yellow/black though I haven't tried using it yet for the finish layers (I will need to experiment). Normally I use a plain weave 100% carbon cloth for the finish layers with my own recipe of unidirectional and bidirectional carbon (at varying degrees of fiber orientation) in between to achieve a good balance of stiffness/flexibility in all axis.

The resin I use has a heat deflection temperature of 180 degrees F (82 degrees C) so you won't need to worry about the gear distorting in the hot sun or in your transport vehicle.

At the risk of sounding boastful, the gear I produce will be just as good (if not better) than any other commercially available gear. I've been working on my landing gear production techniques for over 9 months (and finally have it NAILED), and have been producing composite parts for about 10 years.

If anyone else wants some, please chime in. The more pieces I make at once, the cheaper they are...

-Tom
Old 03-24-2003, 01:42 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

I have the same problem with my 24%
I have a smidge over an inch with the os 160 18x6 combo. every time I turn it around after starting I mow grass. I would be very interested in taller gear if you manufacturing them for the 24. Another unfortunate by product is it takes a long roll out to get airborne since I am using a sig tailwheel (somewhat tall itself)
Old 03-25-2003, 05:54 AM
Mark_O74
My Feedback: (1)

TT2 I would be interested, your design sounds about right. Let me know what the cost will be.

How far along are you on your Extra? What engine are you using? I've got most of the fuse complete now working on mounting my motor and exaust.

Mark Ohnewehr
[email protected]
Old 03-26-2003, 07:49 AM
TT2

Sorry for the delayed response...my computer's power supply shot craps last night.

smallfly, shoot me an email so I'll have your email address. If I email you through RCU, I can't send file attachments.

Mark, I emailed you. I'm not far ahead of you regarding my 31%. I've just finished mounting my engine (ZDZ80 single) and was getting ready to start setting up the radio. There are some serious considerations to be made when installing the rudder linkage, but I think I have the geometry figured out and know what bellcranks, etc, to buy. This plane is getting expensive...but it's still a helluva lot cheaper than a similar kit from anywhere else!

-Tom
Old 03-26-2003, 01:54 PM
Ryans Rebel
My Feedback: (12)

I have a question. What does the "CA" in CA 31% Extra stand for? Is it Carden Aircraft?
Old 03-26-2003, 02:18 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

Columbo Anderson from planes plus
Old 03-26-2003, 09:37 PM
TT2

Here's some gear I made last night for a friend. Don't be suprised if the proportions don't look right. It IS for an Extra...a Somethin' Extra. The stock gear provided too little ground clearance...sound familiar?

(Click on pic for full size)

Another shot:

(Click on pic for full size)

-Tom
Old 03-27-2003, 12:19 AM
Arnaldo

Default landing gear

Hi Mr.Tom

I have an Extra 300 %31 Marcelo Colombo and the landing gear and very I do lower.

Do you manufacture with more height?
Which the price?
You to send to Brazil?

Thank you
Arnaldo Medeiros