Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Futaba's 9C capabilities ?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Futaba's 9C capabilities ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 10:16 AM
RVBlack
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba's 9C capabilities ?

For airplane use, what are flight conditions and does the 9C have them? Or is there another way to program a flight condition using the 9C ? AND does the 9C have a throttle curve for hovering or whatever. Please be specific. Thanks, RV
Old 10-02-2007, 12:36 PM
Absolut Yak
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Futaba's 9C capabilities ?

http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-9c.html

This is the link for the FAQ page on the Futaba website for the 9C radios. I have a paper manual I refer to. It is easiest to refer to factory directions for whatever you are trying to accomplish.

Doug
Old 10-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

The 9C doesn't have "conditions", you must get a more expensive radio to get those i.e. a 9Z, 12FG, 12Z or 14MHz.

The FAQ that djccrn pointed out to you is really a lot more help than the printed manual is and I used it a lot...
Old 10-02-2007, 02:11 PM
gdavisjr
My Feedback: (51)

Doesn't have flight conditions, but does offer the ability to put triple rates for all 3 surfaces on one switch, which for many would be what they'd use flight conditions for. Also, yes, you can setup a throttle curve.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:19 PM
RVBlack

Thanks guys for all the info. Is there any way I can do a throttle curve on my 8U super (airplane tx)
Old 10-03-2007, 08:36 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The term flight conditions came from the abilities of the 9C to put three flight conditions on switch C. Yes use a Pmix for the throttle curve.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:08 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RV
I just bought a 9caps last week and used it for the first time this weekend. I'm very happy with the radio. I also have a couple of E-Clipse Seven Hitecs which have three flight conditions in the menu. The 9C does this and much more, they just don't seem to use the term flight conditions as I'm use to. As others have stated it does have triple rates which is the only thing I used the flight conditions on the E- Clipse anyway. The 9C is easier to set up dual elevator servos than the e-clipse in my opinion. My only dissapointment in the 9C that I learned this weekend is that it does not have the ability to select which shift it transmits in. It can only transmit in negative shift. Because of this I'm going to have to keep my Hitec for a month or so until I get a student soloed that has a JR. On the Hitec I can go into a menu and tell it what shift I need depending on the model I'm flying. Since the JR's are not prominent in the area I live in it's really no big deal. I thought it odd that the 9c did not have the shift select capability considering it cost over twice the price as the Eclipse-Seven. I will just have to limit who I can buddy box with. The 9C is easier to change the channels on though in that you do not have to remove the module to change channels.
I'm still learning more about this radio as I get all of my planes programed so I may have additional opinions in a few weeks as I get familiar with it.

I really have no regrets buying this unit and recommend it to anyone wanting this price level of radio.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:51 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 9C does not have flight conditions.

Condition means that basically you have 2 separate model setups available for the same plane at the flip of a switch..

For Example: On my 9Z I may have model 9 setup as Extra 260 and model 14 setup as Extra 260 IMAC. Then I assign a switch to toggle back and forth between the two models. That is literally what flight conditions are. What it does if you so choose is have something such and low, mid and high elevator rates on the right 3 position switch set for 30-80-100 on Extra 260 and when you flip the switch to Extra 260 IMAC condition the same switch may be set to 30-70-70 so that you have only two rates and different expos etc. That allows me to start the flight in IMAC condition and then at the end of the flight if I want to fly 3D I just flip the condition switch and all my switches revert to my normal setup. For me that gives me finer control of rates for specific maneuvers and it prevents me from flipping a switch and getting something that I REALLY dont want during and IMAC sequence like 75 degrees of elevator throw with -75 Expo (Futaba). You can actually do a lot more than that, but that is it in a nutshell.

Again, In a nutshell, its like having 2 totally different model setups available for the same model at the flip of a single switch.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:26 PM
RVBlack

ORIGINAL: MikeEast

Condition means that basically you have 2 separate model setups for the same plane available at the flip of a switch..

For Example: On my 9Z I may have model 9 setup as Extra 260 and model 14 setup as Extra 260 IMAC. Then I assign a switch to toggle back and forth between the two models. That is literally what flight conditions are. What it does if you so choose is have something such and low, mid and high elevator rates on the right 3 position switch set for 30-80-100 on Extra 260 and when you flip the switch to Extra 260 IMAC condition the same switch may be set to 30-70-70 so that you have only two rates and different expos etc. That allows me to start the flight in IMAC condition and then at the end of the flight if I want to fly 3D I just flip the condition switch and all my switches revert to my normal setup. For me that gives me finer control of rates for specific maneuvers and it prevents me from flipping a switch and getting something that I REALLY dont want during and IMAC sequence like 75 degrees of elevator throw with -75 Expo (Futaba).

Again, In a nutshell, its like having 2 totally different model setups available for the same model at the flip of a single switch.
OK, Now the light is turning on up stair's, if you know what I mean.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:35 PM
Jim T
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: MikeEast

The 9C does not have flight conditions.

Condition means that basically you have 2 separate model setups available for the same plane at the flip of a switch..

For Example: On my 9Z I may have model 9 setup as Extra 260 and model 14 setup as Extra 260 IMAC. Then I assign a switch to toggle back and forth between the two models. That is literally what flight conditions are. What it does if you so choose is have something such and low, mid and high elevator rates on the right 3 position switch set for 30-80-100 on Extra 260 and when you flip the switch to Extra 260 IMAC condition the same switch may be set to 30-70-70 so that you have only two rates and different expos etc. That allows me to start the flight in IMAC condition and then at the end of the flight if I want to fly 3D I just flip the condition switch and all my switches revert to my normal setup. For me that gives me finer control of rates for specific maneuvers and it prevents me from flipping a switch and getting something that I REALLY dont want during and IMAC sequence like 75 degrees of elevator throw with -75 Expo (Futaba). You can actually do a lot more than that, but that is it in a nutshell.

Wow, that answers something I've been curious about for years. I'm just now starting to see the need for a radio more advanced than my old 6XAS now that I'm getting interested in IMAC. I have a hunch a whole book could be written about this.

Jim
Old 10-04-2007, 08:09 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

MIke, that may be what it's evolved into (with you) but originally it was changes in aileron and elevator mixes and throws for doing specific 3D mauevers like walls and waterfallls or to se up a landing configuration....

For two different models like you're talking about it would include trims, mixes, throws, sub trims, throttle etc....

In my opinion that's not correct.

Most of this computing power came from the modes the 3D heli pilot needed and the 3D airplane guys saw it and wanted it too.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:37 AM
MikeEast

Evan,
I am just telling you what the Futaba conditions menu will allow you to do, its not my opinion about how it should work that is how I know that it doeswork. I know because I use it on my 9Z. Get a 9Z manual and read it, you will see for yourself. The 9C and lower Futaba radios do not have "Condition Menu's" You can setup mixes and switches so that you can change flight conditions. But by definition that is not what is meant by "Conditions". You can do all sorts of crazy stuff on a 9Z and probably the 12 and 14's when you get into using the actual condition menu.

As you said, what I am talking about (Actual Conditions) allows you to change EVERYTHING if you choose, subtrims, the whole 9 yards if you so choose. That is why when you set up a new condition you do a model copy and then you setup the model you copied to as a condition of the model you copied from so you DO NOT have to reset subtrims and everything else. If you do not do it that way you have to go up and setup EVERYTHING just like you said and that is too much trouble. Essentially you are setting up a whole new model and you use model a and model b as two entirely different setups and use a switch to flip back and forth if you so choose for the same model. There is actually a "Condition Menu" on the 9Z.

Again, I understand what you are saying, but its not about what it has evolved into for ( me,) it is by definition what Futaba means when they talk about "Conditions"" on their high end radios. You can use "COnditions" to make very simple changes at the flip of the switch just like you mentioned, or very complex changes. Its really up to you, the sky is the limit. Thats a real fact, not my opinion. Respectfully.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:52 AM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Even, Actually it was out before 3D was that popular.

There are some maneuvers that may require for example low el, mid rudder, and mid alerion maybe for a 1.5 snap Conidtions allowed you to do that by flipping 1 switch instead of 3 if you have your al, el, rud, on different switches like most pattern / IMAC guys do.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:04 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Get a 9Z manual and read it?????

Heh, heh, heh....

I absolutely loved the functionality of my 9ZAP WCII once I figured out how to program it, but had it not been for the Futaba FAQ and help from other users here I would have taken much longer to figure it out.

If he's really interested I suppose, but if you don't have one of those radios it's probably best used as a "fall asleep" aide...

Jim, yeah if you're gona play IMAC a more sophisticated radio is probably in order. While I initially used the 9Z's conditions to achieve triple rate control deflections like my 9C Super had, I later started using them for the same thing Mike does i.e. cutting back the control deflections and eliminating mixes for say snap rolls.

Mixes for getting rid of undesirable coupling found in virtually any model (some are worse than others) will really help you in the IMAC arena. It's sometimes called "dynamic balancing" or trimming and makes the models easier to fly allowing you to concentrate on the sequence. You'll need a more powerful radio for that and watch what you buy as some 7 channel stuff out there does not support dual elevator servos for example, and you'll find those on most models once you get into say the 60-90 size glow models.

Go ahead and try IMAC, the first class known as "Basic" can use any model and allow you to see if you like it well enough to continue. It will make a better pilot out of you even if you don't continue on. All the classes above Basic have aircraft requirements.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:10 AM
MikeEast

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

Get a 9Z manual and read it?????

Heh, heh, heh....
You do have a point.. The whole thing is not very easy to understand, even the menus and setup screens are like learning a new language. But at least you can read a little about flight conditions.

And I will admit that everytime I go a setup a new model for conditions, I have to learn it all over again. The 9Z is not intuitive at all until you learn to think like the Futaba engineers.

The 9C is a MUCH simpler but equally powerful system. Its so nice to have an intuitive menu that actually says what it means and everything is where you think it should be. To be honest, other than being able to setup an IMAC condition on the 9Z I really prefer the 9C. It does everything that the 9Z does except flight conditions and its just a whole lot easier to understand.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

I started to read my manual once
Old 10-04-2007, 07:07 PM
gwulle

I presently have a 9C,but have never really cared about all the functions until now. I am just starting in IMAC and from what I have read on the IMAC site I need more than one flight condition. Can switch C be set up,for example for IMAC and then have a position for landing etc. Thanks

Gaines
Old 10-05-2007, 06:33 AM
sendtorandy

You can always try these two books. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNXU8&P=ML and http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFJZ7&P=7
Old 10-05-2007, 09:00 AM
RVBlack

[quote]ORIGINAL: sendtorandy

You can always try these two books. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNXU8&P=ML and http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFJZ7&P=7
[/quote

Great, another choice to make Which book is better for advanced pilots?
Old 10-06-2007, 11:21 PM
Stick40

I would like to see the IMAC competion boil down to pilot skill, not radio programing skill! But whom am i to speak for.....

Stick 40
Old 10-07-2007, 06:11 AM
MikeEast

ORIGINAL: Stick40

I would like to see the IMAC competion boil down to pilot skill, not radio programing skill! But whom am i to speak for.....

Stick 40

Well that sounds really romantic, but its not a very practical comment really. It sounds like you have been listening to a hardcore old timer that has been filling your head with the whole " good pilots can fly ANY plane without mixes" garbage. Most good pilots CAN do it, but there is no reason to do it. It being fighting or compensating for poor performance qualities that are inherent to th design of the airplane.

There is a reason that you use the programming functions. Airplanes can only be setup so well and then you have to deal with shortcomings in the design of the airframe that cause it to do stupid things that it should not do. You use the programming to eliminate those tendencies.

Here is how I look at it.

1. The main thing is to set up the airplane as mechanically neutral as possible. You should not set up a plane sloppily and then correct for lazy setup with mixes. If you do the plane will not fly as well since it will be fighting against itself.

2. Once you get it setup mechanically correct then you have to deal with trying to get the plane to fly neutral, that is where programming is useful. You use computer programming to eliminate bad tendencies like pitch and roll coupling so that you can worry about flying the airplane without having to compensate for poor flight characteristics.

An example would be like having a car that when you push on the accelerator pedal, the car veers to the right and loses traction. You would not want your car to do something that you do not ask it to do,,, and then call yourself a better driver because you have learned to compensate for it by sucessfully driving an unstable, fishtailing car down the hiway at 70mph,,, would you? Why would you expect to do it with your airplane?

You dont setup mixes and conditions to fly the plane for you (like a gyro does) you set up mixes and conditions to make the plane fly neutral so you can focus on flying the maneuvers. [8D]
Old 01-18-2008, 09:17 AM
Mike545

hey guys, i have a 9cap and 9chp, i fly mostly planes, might go to copters, should i keep one over the other? the heli is the super. i know there are just very suttle changes, i like the smooth throttle. just want to sell one, i dont need two 350.00 radios. any advise would be great, oh yea im just a fun flyer not competion at all.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Kwesdog

Mike545,

Keep the super if you are really planning on selling one otherwise keep them both just too have one as a backup/trainer radio.

There is really no diff between the 2 radios other than one ratchets and defaults to airplane and the other doesnt ratchet and defaults to heli. That is with the base radios but the super is better than the old one. More model memory and a couple of tweaks but other than that its all fluff for compairasian purposes.

I still have 2 9Cs that I love but I recently got into turbines whiched opened up a whole new world to me and I found that the 9C is lacking once you jump into highly complex models but for everything else its wonderful and very easy to use. Mine are collecting dust now though because I upgraded to a 12FG.

Harry
Old 01-18-2008, 04:18 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

If you are going to fly helis, keep the heli radio, the smooth throttle is better for airplane (well 3d style anyways) and the switches are laid out differently and more natural for a heli while not hindering flying a plank...er...plane.

Interestingly enough, the 9C does have flight conditions. They just aren't available in the acro menu
Old 01-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Mike545

the defult issues, what are they and when will they affect me?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.