Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Make the Jump from 50cc to 35% on a quality budget..PP Extra 260 and Torch single cyl. gasser

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Make the Jump from 50cc to 35% on a quality budget..PP Extra 260 and Torch single cyl. gasser

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 11:50 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Make the Jump from 50cc to 35% on a quality budget..PP Extra 260 and Torch single cyl. gasser

I was going to ask if you ever got that engine sorted out. It's getting there but the 80s and 85s on the market are out powering it. Is that the same one or a new one?
Old 12-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Default RE: Make the Jump from 50cc to 35% on a quality budget..PP Extra 260 and Torch single cyl. gasser

Here is from the weekend. Sinergy that is the orig engine. I had told the folks at Torch that I wanted to know what was really wrong with it so I stayed with it and put it back on the plane.

Mind you it was on the third flight and pulling at 6k with 26x10.

It shoud be noted that at this weight there is pleanty of power with the 90cc. Something happened in the carb and I was getting too much fuel delivery.

Long story short, they are bench running (the engine I have been playing with was rushed to me at my request so I could fly the plane at Atlanta and never bench run) a new engine and sending it to me priority. I will put it on the plane and try to get some gallons thru during the holiday break from work.

I flew it yesterday with a single A123 2 pack on smart fly with deans into the power expander. The single two cell has no trouble supplying the power. After the flight which lasted about 6 minutes I had used just over 200 mAh to refill. The battery is plenty.

After moving the batteries back it is still a tad nose heavy. I will look for another move in the battery. The plane flew and presented very well and when the new engine breaks in should be a 3d monster. At 24 3/4 lbs it is very light on the stick.

That is all I have for now.

RDB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55081.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	822790  
Old 12-10-2007, 04:37 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

How did you get it that light? The frame is supposed to be designed for 26lbs.

I guess with my BME 110 (4.3lbs.), it is bound to get interesting...
Old 12-10-2007, 04:45 PM

One battery one switch on flight = 6.5 oz .... one nimh 1450 on ign and one switch= about 4 ounces. Plus power expander (forgot what it is, maybe 2 oz) No spinner yet.... With spinner it will be very close to 25 lbs flat without fuel.

The motor header and pipe is more than say a DA-85 on stock exhaust but still lighter than DA-100 on dual exhaust.

Rich M. reports DA-100 on stock exhaust at 26.5 lbs. No telling what batteries, regulators, other stuff in there. Mine is good to go for a couple of flights then recharge. Many of the other people thinging is "Fly all weekend on one charge."

With A123 I can recharge in 10 minutes or less. When 1450 nimh gets low....if I ever get that many flights on it......I unplug and play a fresh battery.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:21 PM
yarom

Well, I am done putting this one together.

All I have left to do is to weight it and figure out the CG for battery placement.

I replaced the engine with a DA-100 and assuming all the electronics will end up in the very back of the hatch...
Old 01-26-2008, 10:47 PM
Marcelo Assis
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Richard,
Any news regarding the today's flight ?
Marcelo
Old 01-27-2008, 06:14 AM

We found some crud in the carb which is why I could never get the needles right. Now to put a couple of gallons through it and find the prop-pipe combo that works.

Here is a couple of vids from yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BWEeriz1Z4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTHFVq9zKlM

Marcelo I can only tell you how happy I am to finally get to start flying this plane.

We flew about 26 minutes yesterday (plus some pits time playin with the engine) and I put 900 mAh back into the single A123 2 cell battery pack. Curious thing though.....after the last flight I took off the canopy and felt the electrical components. The A123 two cell pack had warmed up to perhaps 110 degrees or so. Not bad, no problem but it does tell me that the 6 Hitec 5955's and single JR 8711 are drawing some power. I think that they are getting all they want through the power expander.

Here is the thing.....when I charged the battery later at 10 amps, it did not even get warm. Go figure.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:05 PM
yarom

Done.

Minor bling will be added after the engine is running properly and weather gets back to R/C levels...

Then it's final CG and final servo tweaking.

I did not realize it was going to end up that big. It hardly fits in the Suburban...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36858.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	862785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19680.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	862786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75507.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	862787  
Old 01-27-2008, 08:08 PM

If you fly off of grass you might want to take the wheel pants off and reinforce the inside closest to gear. Mine are cracked already. It present very nicely in the air.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:09 PM
yarom

I tried to maiden this one.

First engine run on the ground was fairly good. Got 1700 on idle and 6200 full throttle with a 27x10 CF prop. A bunch of stuff got loose and I had to retighten all around and add some loctite.

Second run, just before the flight, the engine sputtered and sheared all the bolts, broke the prop and shaft. Just sent it to DA to fix.

No idea what happened, but I need to fix the baffles as well, as they detached from inside the cowl as well.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:21 AM

Well it is over a year later. The project went and stalled an now I am finally getting to enjoy the engine. More on the airframe in the next post...

The engine starts easily and reliably, idles good, has no burble and gives plenty of power when put on the pipe. Now on RCEXL ignition it has yet to quit unless I tell it to. Cyl head temps out at 190 just after landing and it swings the JC Prop 27x8 at 6500 static and with what looks like 2-1 power to weight although I have yet to measure that.

I am still overcoming a mid range hump where the pipe kicks in, not the fault of the engine though. When I can get a chance I will play with the fine tuning of the pipe length. There is plenty of low end grunt in the powerband before the pipe hits so I can still 3d it fairly well. The fact that this engine does not seem to "Burble" makes the transition smooth otherwise.

I had a flying buddy ask to get one and found out that the manufacturer is going to finally bring them to market this month $749.99 I think the first dozen are already on the way.

They will be distributed by a new distributor here in Daytona Beach and serviced in same. I am not quite certain of the official company name since the company is new, I will find out.

As a disclaimer I am still sponsored by Visa, I paid for this engine and will likely pay for the next (Want the 180 twin) I am not connected financially to either company, just was looking to see if there was a different choice...wanted more cc and a side mount carb.... I do know the owner of the new distributor, Mr. Donnie Bryans as I have been flying with him in the club for years. My experience is he is good people, always open to new ideas and has extensive experience in RC and full scale aviation.

Here is a vid from yesterday of my 102 inch 35% Extra in some wind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOqbxXgcSXw
Old 12-14-2008, 07:40 AM

As to the airframe....

Might be moot for the most part as the company seems to not be answering anything like the phone or email....that was months ago so who knows?

Pro:

The airframe design is good. I guess you could say that about any 35% that comes in a just under 25 lbs dry.
Lots of sq inches for the weight and great elevator authority for 3D. Rudder authority is good, no tail wag and tracking is good on this plane.
The presentation in the air with the color sceme gets a 10 from me. Presents well.

The Cons:

I had to shore up the landing gear area as it was not designed to last....I squeaked in a landing and heard a crack, that is all it took.

The design of the plug that covers the landing gear mount area has always made it difficult to get to the cowl screws and a challenge.

I thought the landing gear was a bit heavy, and because my plane was nose heavy I went with a cf. (anyone need a spare factory gear in great shape?)

But the number one BEIOTCH to me is the covering. I went over everything with the hot iron when new but through the year and more lately a lot of the blue checks and blue stripes on wings and tail (tops) have been coming up. Wont glue back down, there is something in the glue, it won't reset. Having said that the important covering areas seems to be of good enough quality so far that there is no problems.

Summary:

In the last year running a bigger plane on the large single cylinders instead of the boxer twins has now become the norm. Heck I even saw a DA-85 on pipe pull the 110 inch EF Yak like it was a toy. So I kind of feel vindicated,

You CAN have your 35% plane perform well for the less cost of a single cylinder engine and they can fly just as good, or better than that of the added cost of a boxer twin with twin exhaust.

I guess that is a wrap for this thread for me.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:57 AM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

Richard: Those are the same two *****es I have on this airplane. On the covering, I was told by Pacific Planes that the covering was ultra-cote. Then after I received the airplane they kept dodging the question everytime I asked them about the color so I could get some and they just sent me some small samples to use for any recovering I needed to do.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:17 AM

I remember finding some of that blue in ultracoat and it matched colorwise but not in texture.

To me, anytime you run any kind of covering that comes to a point, there is a better chance of it coming loose in the long run than the scemes that don't have the intricate fine lines like this one. JMO.

Richard
Old 12-14-2008, 11:06 AM
yarom

Yes, having the same issues with the checkers trying to peel off. That stuff is not Ultracote. It is still OK in terms of keeping it together.

One of the things that happened since last year is that allthough the single cylinder method became more prevalent, twins became way cheaper. The DL-100 and other new twins have changed the economics of the game and the DA-85, at $795, is not a great deal after all.

I tried running a DA-85 on my H9 Sukhoi. It shakes too much. Literally tore the airplane apart. I am now using a BME 102 on a new fuse, hoping for less vibrations...
Old 01-13-2009, 09:05 PM

Whatever happened to the Pacific Planes?

I know where the stock went.

http://shop.maverickhobbys.com/categ...?categoryId=13
Old 01-13-2009, 09:36 PM
yarom

Who cares?

When I think about it, I would have been happier with the real thing - the Aeroworks Extra.

Not that the PP/Rich model one was bad, but certainly not built as well.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:32 PM

Who cares.....cute.

Maybe a guy who needs a canopy or cowl.