Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Best 50cc for 3D?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:56 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best 50cc for 3D?

Another vid same plane at around 17 and change before fuel. Vess 22A Prop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HImTH0uU9y8
Old 10-29-2007, 12:24 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

This particular club member paid $500 for the plane and another $200 for CF tubes, CF landing gear and CF tail wheel.

That's $50 more than the EF that comes with all the above...

What he saved in shipping, picking it up from Graham WA, he paid in sales taxes.

You have not yet flown my Yak once the engine completely broke in and running on 1:80 synthetic. Power is absolutely silly...

ORIGINAL: azhar

Come on Yarom, I have flown your YAK and still like my SD model very much! And i still paid less than you with all upgrades.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:28 PM
yarom

It just looks so good...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32907.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	792858  
Old 10-29-2007, 12:34 PM
azhar
My Feedback: (19)

naaahhhh....mine looks better....
Old 10-29-2007, 01:20 PM
MicroDat

Which would you say is the better engine? The DL or the DA for the Yak?
Old 10-29-2007, 01:55 PM
azhar
My Feedback: (19)

Micro,

Both are good engines. It all depends on how much you want to spend. And what after sale service you are looking for. Numbers wise, they are both the very close.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:19 PM
MicroDat

Hey AirWild responded to my questions... maybe this will help out other new comers.

Hi Dat,

Thanks for your inquiry. Please see my comments below;

Sincerely
Jerry Bien
AirWild

NDL wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm very interested in your Extra 260 29%, but I have a few questions...
>
> 1) Have you tested the plane with a DL50? I heard its lighter and more powerful than the DA50 so would that make the plane even lighter than the advertised 14.75 lbs?
>
No we have not flown the plane with a DL50. What we can guarantee is that if one builds the 260 in accordance to our assembly instructions, using comparable components, and bolt on a DA50R, we can pretty much guarantee your a 14.75 lbs. (+/- a ounce or two) plane. If a DL50 is lighter than DA50, well, you are going to have yourself a rocket ship : )

> 2) Can I use my Spektrum DX7 radio with this plane? It has a maximum of 7 channels. I fly at a very busy field (Sepulveda Basin) and 2.4 ghz is pretty much the only thing I would fly there.
>
Our demo 260 has been flying on the Spektrum DX7 for a least 100 flights, without a glitch. Honestly it is the only way to go now.
> 3) Does all the hardware required to build the plane included with the ARF?
>
Only hardware included with the kit are; hinges, control horns, tail wheel gear. The rest can be purchased separately on your own or through us as a hardware package. We know that lots of other ARF sellers are throwing in oversea imitation hardware. Unfortunately we don't because we don't believe these imitation parts are worthy. Since we don't even use them ourselves, we can't very well recommend our customer to use them.

But don't worry ... we are going to bring back a FREE hardware bundle that's worth $75 in value, for the months of November and December. These are all USA name brand stuffs. I can gladly offer you that free bundle now since we are only days away from 11/1.
> 4) How much can I save if I buy the ARF, hardware (if its not included), and servo's? (I want more than the minimal torque as suggested by your servo chart). Do you also offer a complete package? I mean all the necessary hardware and electronics, this is my first gas plane.
>
There is no 'complete' package that includes airplane, hardware, electronics and servos. But if you purchase different packages, ie. hardware and electronics, that we have put together, they are all discounted as a whole. Our servo prices are always the lowest they can be. They are flat pricing regardless of you buying one or ten. Some dealers will give you a price, almost as low as ours, only when you buy in quantity. We don't. We offer just one everyday low price.

Since this is going to be your first gas plane, you might also be interested in considering our turnkey building service, called the Master Craft Solution. More information can be found on our website at AirWild Master Craft Solution

If you have any other questions in regards to our products or services, please feel free to contact us directly.

Sincerely,
Jerry Bien
AirWild
(949) 699-1059

> Thanks for answering my questions,
>
> Dat
>
>
>
>
>
Interesting info, the AW extra would be about $75 cheaper and possibly $275 cheaper for me since I can pick it up and don't have to pay for delivery (I'm only 1 hour away from their shop). Now I have to consider AW again since I would save so much cash, especially if I go with the DL50, I would end up spending $350 less than I originally planned.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:34 PM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

Microdat,sounds like a no brainer to me,350.00 less and at under 15lbs.with a dl50.
but it won't be a nice looking round cowl Yak i just like round cowl planes.
tuff to decide!
Old 10-29-2007, 04:56 PM
pilot727

I had my DA-50 clocked with a R. Gun and i got 98 MPH and i have yet to go to synthrtic oil and give her the final tune up, DA has earned it's rep and is a top of the line engine and cost 200 dollars more then the DL-50 engine, i reserched all the engines that are the top sellers and the very best product and the DA is at the very top, that is what the results are, the DL seems to be a nice engine also but i choose to buy what has been running great for many many years, i went with the DA, But that was my choice, whatever you buy i am sure that you will enjoy it very well, already i have six gallons through mine with out a flaw. Again every one that has gone with the DL seem to be very happy with there engine also.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:02 PM
yarom

They are absolutely identical in most aspects, other than manufacturing process and price... I have yet to see anything to suggest otherwise... Both are the best 50cc money can buy and the performance is close to identical...

ORIGINAL: MicroDat

Which would you say is the better engine? The DL or the DA for the Yak?
Old 10-30-2007, 05:10 PM
MicroDat

Looks like there is a new player in town, the Dietrich airplanes, particularly the 50cc Extra 260. I hear he was part owner of Aeroworks before separating to create his own company. From what I understand the quality is there and the 50cc comes in at 15.2 lbs, which is not bad at all. The price of the plane is $595 so its cheaper than the EF Yak 88" and only a little more than the AW 29% Extra 260. However, the Dietrich includes all the hardware and is comparable to the Quick Build (QB) series from Aeroworks (Dietrich calls it Fast Assembly or FA). Good thing I got 2 months until Christmas
Old 10-30-2007, 07:42 PM
rad darby

I've just built my first Aero-Works a 120 Yak. Great airplane but I now want to go 50cc gas. I was going to go with a A-W Yak but wondered if anyone has a first hand comparison of A-W versus Dietrich.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:03 PM
3DAP

Anyone say two wings and a Brison 3.2?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54431.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	793921  
Old 10-31-2007, 01:28 AM
MicroDat

ORIGINAL: rad darby

I've just built my first Aero-Works a 120 Yak. Great airplane but I now want to go 50cc gas. I was going to go with a A-W Yak but wondered if anyone has a first hand comparison of A-W versus Dietrich.

Check out the Dietrich thread... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5542687/tm.htm

I also emailed Kevin Dietrich and this is what he answered

Hello Sir

Shipping and handling would be $59.00
The price does include all hardware. There is nothing additional that you
need to purchase.
If you purchase a DA or 3W I can offer you an additional $50.00 off. I do
not have a dealer program for servos.
I am working on a video right now and I hope to have it available soon.

Hope to hear back from you and If you have any more questions please feel
free to let me know.

Thank you
Kevin Dietrich
----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2007 5:56 PM
Subject: Question about 550cc 260

> Hi Kevin,
>
> I have a few questions about your 50cc Extra 260.
>
> - How much would it cost to ship to Los Angeles (91602 zip code)?
> - The price of $595 includes all the hardware I need?
> - Do you sell packages with servo's, and motor (DA50) at a discount like
> other manufacturers?
> - Do you have any videos of the 50cc flying?
>
> That's all for now, thanks!
>
> -Dat
>
>
>

As of right now my top two choices for a 50cc plane would be the Extreme Flight Yak or the Dietrich 50cc Extra 260.

Here is what I have gathered so far:

Extreme Flight Yak 88":
PROS
- Proven 3D plane
- Has discount for airframe, motor (DA50), and servo (You save about $200 if you buy them all)
- Big wing span at 88", biggest I've seen for a 50cc'er
- Looks pretty sweet with the Yellow/black scheme
CONS:
- Cost $650
- Shipping for me is $160
- More building than the Dietrich 50cc Extra 260

AirWild 29% Extra 260
PROS
- Lightest airframe in the 50cc class (14.75 lbs with DA50-R)
- Free hardware for November and December (But not all the hardware you need)
- Airframe is $575 with hardware (For November and December)
- Free "Shipping" for me since I can drive to pick it up
CONS
- Color scheme is to me, not that great
- More building than the Dietrich 50cc Extra 260

DieTrich 50cc Extra 260
PROS
- Awesome color scheme (The black tail scheme)
- Pre-built, almost a plug and play plane (Much like Aero-works, I guess its the same airframe at a cheaper price)
- Airframe and Da50 can but purchased at $50 discount
- Only $59 shipping for me (Los Angeles)
CONS:
- Relatively new name

Now probably the most important factor is the capabilities of the plane. I can't really size up the planes since this is going to be my first giant plane and I have never flown one before. Maybe someone with more experience can comment on the flying characteristics. What I can guess from the video is that the AirWild and Extreme Flight planes seems to be damn good.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:41 AM
closetguy

ORIGINAL: 3DAP

Anyone say two wings and a Brison 3.2?

two wings are always better than one.now up and flying,DP 120 ultimate,CH double vision,OMP ultimate.and sone to be a Wild Hare ultimate or GP ultimate,can't make my mind up.
ENJOY!
Old 10-31-2007, 03:20 PM
MicroDat

Anyone own a Wild Hare 29% Sukhoi? I hear it flies very similar to the EF Yak 88"

http://www.wildharerc.com/products/sukhoi85/

And it seems to be a good deal too at $469 (No hardware)
Old 10-31-2007, 05:17 PM
yarom

That would be the day...

Anyone own a Wild Hare 29% Sukhoi? I hear it flies very similar to the EF Yak 88"

Old 10-31-2007, 09:18 PM
MicroDat

ORIGINAL: yarom

That would be the day...

Well what do you mean? Is it comparable to the EF Yak? Have you flown both?
Old 10-31-2007, 09:48 PM
thewrap

I will recommend a Wild Hare. They have a great variety of planes, for an excellent price and they will back up there planes 100%.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:16 PM
capflyr
My Feedback: (1)

I had two on order and they ran out before I could get mine.I have owend 4 WH planes and have been happy with all for the price and serv. you cant beat A bunny.Note I was ordering the red and black Sukhoi I was told by Tom at WH he has the whit and blue and the yellow and red in stock. Wild Hare also has A light 260 in the 50cc class for 430.00 + shipping.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:58 PM
rc-plane

I am looking into ths size range too. I really love the EF yak for its color and I have seen what it can do in the vids. Plus that plane is huge. They also have a good deal going witht the da and servos. Now what about the extra they have( is it even out yet?)

How does that EF yak float/fly slow. I have a smaller yak now that just drops out of manuvers, and drops like a rock when landing if it doesnt have any power. So float/fly slow is a big deal to me.

Thanks

rc-plane
Old 11-04-2007, 06:06 AM
closetguy

rc-plane,i have three gals. of fuel through a EF Yak 88" and it flies VERY LIGHT on the wings.lands so slow it starts to rattle your nerves untill you get use to it.i had one dead stick due to no fuel in tank,and it landed like a butterfly with sore feet! and that is with a evolution 58 whitch is a pound more than most 50's. i did everything i could to save weight,ES carbon pipe,a single a123 two cell battery pack 5.5 ozs. that powers both ign. and rx (2.4 radio) no regulators.and came in at 17.5 lbs. it is the BEST flying plane that i have flown.i am going to sell my Ultra rc yak and my QQ yak to buy a red and white EF yak for back up.i have a yellow and black one now.
ENJOY!
Old 11-04-2007, 06:28 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

ORIGINAL: rc-plane

Now what about the extra they have( is it even out yet?)
Regarding the Extra it is in production and I believe that the EF owner is over there right now (or on his way in an airliner) to make the final inspecton of the production run before they are put on a container to the USA. When I was at the huckfest last week in Atlanta I reall the words, "...just in time for the holidays...."

Also with the .5 inch more wing span it is supposed to come in a pound lighter than the yak. Too cool. I have the 88 inch Yak with 37 flight hours on it. Floats like a butterfly....presents like a 33% plane.

The guy does everything quality from airframe to customer service.

JMHE,

RDB
Old 11-04-2007, 07:12 AM
Absolut Yak
My Feedback: (4)

I have owned both the Aeroworks 50cc QB Yak and the EF 88" Yak. No question the EF 88" Yak is a MUCH better flying plane. It's kinda like Mustang GT vs. Ferrari. The Aeroworks is good, but the EF is simply that much better. A local club member flies the Dietrich 50cc Extra and likes it very much. I have flown it, but unfortunately he has very heavy thumbs and has the plane desensitized so it is not fair to compare it to the EF. His rates, even high rates were so low, I thought I was driving a bus when I flew it. Again, that's just his setup versus mine.

My buddy has had the original 87" EF Yak, the QQ Yak, the Aeroworks Yak, and now the EF 88" Yak. In addition, he owns a 40% Carden Cap, a 40% Sukhoi, a 112" Clipped Wing T-Craft (awesome), and a 102" QQ Yak. Plus a myriad of other less noteworthy planes. The plane he takes to the field on a regular basis is the EF 88" Yak. I think that says it all.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:10 AM
rc-plane

cool, just what I wanted to hear. How will IMAC be I might want to get into that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.