Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Anyone using Spectra pull-pulls?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Anyone using Spectra pull-pulls?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 09:35 AM
TT2
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using Spectra pull-pulls?

I was talking to Jerry Nelson the other day and he recommended Spectra over Kevlar for pull-pulls. I knew that I had some in one of my boxes of miscellaneous composite material stuff, and found it. The stuff I have is 60# braided Spectra.

For anyone who doesn't know what Spectra is, it was developed for tethering cables during spacewalks. No kidding. The tensile strength is much greater than Kevlar, and according to Jerry, the Spectra is not dimensionally affected due to temperature changes nearly as bad as Kevlar is. I know that Spectra does not have the tendancy to fray like Kevlar, in fact, the Spectra has a silky slick feel to it.

The 'extreme' kite flyer guys use it for their lines because it has so little stretch. Sounds like the perfect pull-pull material. Whaddaya think?

-Tom
Old 03-28-2003, 02:07 PM
EJB

Sound good to me.Where can you get this stuff?
Old 03-28-2003, 03:42 PM
TT2
My Feedback: (13)

Try here. $22 for 250 feet of the 150# line. I might buy a spool to have it on hand.

-Tom