Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Need Help: Pica 1/5 Scale P-51 Retracts

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Need Help: Pica 1/5 Scale P-51 Retracts

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2002, 11:34 AM
Ron Eisner
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help: Pica 1/5 Scale P-51 Retracts

If you have this model OR the plans for the Pica P-51 (retract installation)I need a measurement or two. Specifically (1) the measurement between the axles in the retract position,(2) the measurement between the struts in the open position and (3) what size wheels are called for.
Thanks for any help you could offer. Retrofit of retract project underway.
[email protected]
Old 03-24-2002, 02:31 AM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting!

I just ordered the plans for the Pica 1/5th Scale P-51D. Wanted to see what it looked like before I bought the Kit. Am planning on the G62 and Robart
Retracts if they would fit. I had ordered them for a 51 from Byrons but never got around to get the kit from them. Am also questioning the G62 as a power plant. Am at Mile High, where I fly and always am under powered. Thin air is the pits.

Will send the specs when I get the plans, which should be soon. I hope!

Anybody done a review on the Pica kit?

Later
Old 03-24-2002, 02:51 AM
vanguard
My Feedback: (25)

A guy I met in the Chicago area was building one of these for someone. He is a very good builder and said he would not do one of the Pica P51's again. He didn't like the materials or the way the plane built. But, what he had done, looked excellent.
Old 03-24-2002, 03:08 AM
GSNut

Oh, Well!

Will just have to wait to see what shows in the plans and the manual. There is always Dave Platt for good scale. Maybe Jack Stafford is still around but thought that Pica bought him out. Years ago it seems like. I may have to scratch build one or might even see what Top Flite's got to offer.
Old 03-24-2002, 03:23 AM
Jack Devine
My Feedback: (6)

Default Pica P-51

The 1/5th scale Pica P-51 is a good airplane but not an easy plane to build. It would be a rocket with a G-62 in it and a pretty tight fit to boot. I have a Moki 1.8 in mine and it is reasonably powered with that motor. I used the Robart 622-5 retracts and it was easy to adapt this gear to the wing. They are very similar to the Byron gear and mount the same way. You can run a scale five inch wheel with this gear. If you want a scale looking Mustang you have to build the scale counterbalances in ther Elevator and the rudder. A retractable tail wheel will also fit easily. The cockpit kit that comes with the kit can be very nice if you spend some time on it and with a Hanger 9 1/5th scale pilot the cockpit will look really good. One big caution is it will build extreemly tail heavy if you are not careful building the tail assembly. It will take pounds of lead to balance the model if you are not careful. I also have the 1/6th scale Pica Mustang with a Super Tiger 3000 in it and Century Jet retracts and it has been a great airplane. It has the scale cockpit in the kit too and is a great flying airplane. I would build another Pica Mustang.
Jack Devine
Old 03-24-2002, 04:06 AM
GSNut

Thanks JD
For the review on the Pica P51D and the Heads Up on keeping everything from the C/G back very light. Which I shall endevor to do. Maybe a better selection of, or Contest Grade woods is in order.

Then to a more careful selection of servo and battery placement while building maybe in order, if at all possible?

Will do the counter weights as per. I do have the
Famous Aircraft Series P-51D by Len Morgan. First published in 1963. Lib. of Congress, Cat. Nr.63-14945 This also contains the Pilot Training
Manual AAF 51-127-5 which was published in Aug. 1945. So have plenty of documentation for a full
Scale.

Thanks Again!
Old 03-24-2002, 02:08 PM
GPaloz
My Feedback: (1)

Default Pica P51

I'm building one of these and just sucessfully installed a3W50i with a pitts style muffler. Alot of work but I like to build. Greg
Old 03-24-2002, 03:20 PM
GSNut

Heheh!

Glad to hear someone else is working on one.
Though it would seem that you are alot further along on yours. I will investigate your selection for the power plant you are using. I do have two
G62's as was going to build a twin something or other and then there is my 2.4 out of the Super Cub...duh.. Also overkill, but fun. Ever try a couple degrees of neg. on the flaps. Will really
pickup speed for a missed or short approach.
Use caution though I don't advise any full throttle stuff or even MDV (Maxium Dive Velocity). The wings reach a harmonic vib. and will implode most spectacularly, No! not me, but a friend did it twice. Was Awarded the DA award of the year from our R/C Club.

But back to the Pica P-51D:
Hope the kit is not like some of the old Royal Kits. Locals used to call em, "Carve a Planes"
Due to all the blocks of BW they had to shape.

Let me know what your wing loading comes in at, if you don't mind? Please..keep us posted if possible. Maybe a flight report.."8^D am very interested.

Thanks for the come back!
Gotta love that Stang!
Old 03-24-2002, 04:46 PM
Ron Eisner
My Feedback: (4)

Default Baqck to the oiginal question and results

The mission was to install a set of Robart retracts in the Pica P-51 which was originally built with the wire / torque tube fixed gear.
A fast 5 bucks to Robart had their mod sheet at my house within days. ALL rib mods were shown in full size and made the project a breeze.
Most time was spent looking, not working. It can be done, just get out the #11 and start cutting.
Ron
Old 03-26-2002, 02:22 AM
Jack Devine

Default Pica P-51/Robart Retracts

The Robart retro fit gives you a good solid mounting system for the gear and you should get many seasons out of you Mustang and the gear. I really like the fact that if you build the hatch to cover the gear mechanism you can remove the retract for service without cutting into the wing. The 622 series of gear his a very good design and they work very well.
Jack Devine
Old 03-26-2002, 03:05 AM
GSNut

Hummm!

I seem to be outa tune with the time here.
You used Robart 622-5 for your retracts and as I could not remember what I had bought way back when. I went to the parts locker and dug down through the years. Well, way down in the bottom there they were. But not 622's like yours but mine are 154-5's ! Heheh...according to the receipt in the box with the retracts. I purchased them in 1987 from the local dealer here. Mighty sum of $ 239.00. Things have sure gone up since then. Now they list for 339.xx wow!

Oh, well they are 85 degree and have the off set wheel strut. Were actually for the Byrons P-51D
which I never did order.

Wish me luck and lets hope that they will work on the Pica 1/5
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6805_6069.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	3503  
Old 03-26-2002, 06:15 AM
Jack Devine

Default Robart Retracts

GSNUT: The 622 series from Robart are quite different than the 154 series but I see no reason why the 154s won't work just fine. THe 622s mount further back in the wing and the strut pivots out through the front of the retract frame mount. They are available in several different retract angles because changing the angles of rotation just takes changing the guide piece for the locking mechanism. The rest of the gear stays the same. The struts attach through a coller that has a pinch bolt so the strut angle for toe adjustments is really easy to deal with. I had the 154s in a Nosen P-51 that I sold a few years back and they were really good gear. The Nosen is a much larger plane than the Pica and those gear absorbed some pretty bad landings and didn't complain at all. The ribs in the Pica are plywood but I would double the ribs that bear the retract hardwood rail mounts on Both sides with another rib made of plywood. Pica plans just use one doubler and one on each side of the original rib will really make them sturdy. Make sure you glue the doublers into the spar and the leading edge. I did this on both my 1/5th and 1/6th scale Pica Mustangs and have not had any problems with the gear mounts. The 1/6th scale is seven years old and the 1/5th is four and both planes have been flown regularly with no problems with the gear. Good Luck!
Jack Devine
Old 03-26-2002, 07:10 AM
GSNut

Thanks, JD!

Appreciate the good tips and am glad to hear that Robart still has good equipment and is developing more. Will look up the 622's maybe I'll like em better.

For Now

GooDay Mate!
Old 03-26-2002, 03:47 PM
bill white
My Feedback: (13)

I have a 1/5 scale mustang w/CJM retracts that "dropped" into place. I haven't flown it yet, However I'm not expecting a problem. The CG came out fine, however The plane is about 19.5 lbs w/a detailed cockpit. I'm powering it w/a ST 3000.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:58 AM
Wulf
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Pica P-51

Jack,,,
I`m currently building a Pica 1/6 scale Mustang-It`s a 1995 kit I bought from Sheldons Hobbies about 5 month`s ago(probably one of the last ones out there)-I was thinking of using Robart 622`s.Are the 20th Century retracts a better fit for this plane?Where can I buy them ?I think Tower used to carry them.Did you use a retractable tailwheel?I`m planing on using a OS1.08SFR ,plans say it is a good match,what say you?
Appreciate the help-Ron
Old 03-10-2006, 02:38 AM
peterduplessis
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Need Help: Pica 1/5 Scale P-51 Retracts

Have you got the info you need .... I can help albeit rather late.

Cheers

Peter
Old 03-01-2009, 05:03 PM
GSK

Default RE: Need Help: Pica 1/5 Scale P-51 Retracts

Hi ,
Just reading notes posited about the Pica 1/5 mustang .
I am in the last stages of finishing mine off ,about to refit the radio gear etc, then onto Undercoat prior to test flying It
I am powering it with a DA50.

I keep going over it and am now questioning the suitability of original flap mounts and whether they will take the strain when flaps are down.

Did you use the original mounts or have you come up with a better method ?
I would appreciate your input.

regards
Graeme