Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 110" 100cc Yak 54 Build!

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 110" 100cc Yak 54 Build!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 12:21 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 110

ORIGINAL: EXTREME FLIGHT

Looking good Barry. Nice job on the repair.
Thank you....it's ready to fly again....soon, weather permitting.

Thanks
Barry
Old 11-24-2009, 09:22 AM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

the ring isnt that old cause the last time i tried to fix the leak i broke the ring[>:], so they said its fine, hopefully this time around will be the last, sucks to have an on going issue like this.....
Old 11-24-2009, 12:08 PM
diamondave

ORIGINAL: cjcyclesrc

ORIGINAL: diamondave

well mine is down again for a bit,ive had lots of trouble with one of my cylinders, stripped a plug, redid that(helicoil) then had a base gasket leak, slow but still residue getting there each time i wiped it off, then redid that with some sealant and new gasket, leaked worse than before, so i sanded the bottom with a big block thinking id get it flat, looked good with a straight edge, got one flight and now its actually cracked from one of the bolt holes[:@], so just ordered a new cylinder and will be a week to get, then need to break in again as well, oh yeh i also stripped out the exhaust bolts on this same side a while ago, its been a nightmare, and all my fault i guess, so this time im using another new gasket and the sealant mike with zdz reccommends, permatex motoseal i think, i went dry the 1st time, then used hylamar the second, the last time was ultra copper, thats when it broke, so anyway its down, and im going to order my new mufflers now since its apart anyway, not going to put the tbm ones back on
Dave,

Sorry to hear your motor is down.[]

I've had great results with Permatex Ultra Grey. I used it to seal the cases and jug with no other gaskets on two different Brillelli's and not had any problems after. It works great on the exhaust also. I've used the Ultra Copper on exhausts before, but the Ultra Grey seems to work much better. Did you get a new ring for the cylinder?

thats the stuff i just got that they reccommended, cant wait to give it a whirl

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...Maker_Grey.htm
Old 11-24-2009, 12:10 PM
diamondave

btw ive used the copper on the exhaust and never any issues, now i have the grey too, can do one with one and the other with the other and compare, haha
Old 11-24-2009, 12:16 PM
diamondave

charles there is another one just called ultra grey, not sure which you use but im using the other one from earlier post, thats what they reccomended

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...sket_Maker.htm
Old 11-24-2009, 02:17 PM
cjcyclesrc
My Feedback: (10)

Dave,

I've been using the High Vibration Ultra Grey. The MotoSeal looks like it would be a good choice also. After using the UltraGrey you have to pull on your mufflers pretty good to get them to break loose. I always clean the surfaces good with Acetone, Apply a thin coat to both surfaces, Tighten the bolts like normal, Heat the muffler/ cylinder with a heat gun, and retorque the bolts one more time. It's also good to let it cure at least over night before you run the motor. Heating seems to help everything set.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:04 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Yamabond 6B. The stuff is really good on mufflers. Like Charles said, you gotta pull the mufflers pretty hard to get them off when this stuff is used.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:56 PM
cjcyclesrc

Yamabond is good also. I wish we could get gaskets like these. [link=http://www.jpcycles.com/search/ProductDetail?sku=430-907&N=274704&Ne=274674&Ntk=All&Ntt=base&Ns=&results=10&Nao=]Genuine James Base Gasket[/link] The earlier Harley evolution motors used to be bad about leaking on the base of the rear cylinder and between the rockerbox and head. I replaced a lot of them for customers. James came out with these gaskets around the late 90's and I never saw one of them blow out. The original gaskets were make out of similar gasket materal to our RC gaskets. The newer Genuine James Gaskets were steel and coated with silicone.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:59 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

The gasket I use on mufflers comes the company named Perfect. My LHS sells it. It's a green thin cardboard like material. I use to work for a heating and AC company and we used basically the same stuff for Flange's.
You don't need any thing else to seal your muffler to cylinder. I have never had a leak using this material,the best part there isn't any mess except when you cut it to size and shape you need..

And one other thing when you cut it out,don't forget to cut out the center of the gasket before you put the muffler on the cylinder. The motor won't run like that,and don't ask me how I know this!!

http://www.perfectpartscompany.com/P...eMainFrame.htm scroll down you'll see it. It's just a drawing of it really...
Old 11-25-2009, 09:30 AM
diamondave

im goin to use the motoseal casue thats what mike suggested specifically, most likely will use the ultra copper on the muffler again, ive have good luck with that, sometimes i need to tap it with a mallet to break it apart, the odd thing is on the lable for the motoseal it says put a thin film then wait about 1 minuted and assemble, mike told me put a thin film on both sides, stick the new gasket to one side and wait at least an hour until its completly dry, then assemble?? then id wait overnight and he said run it for 5 min or so, then recheck the bolts while hot, then i should be good to go, i will do it his way since hes done more than any of us probly have working with zdz over the years, just different than what the instructions say
Old 11-26-2009, 06:18 AM
Barry Cazier

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving Day. I'm going to use the day to reflect on what I truly am thankful for. The list is long and rich. And most of the things I'm thankful for aren't things. Anyways, have a great day!
Thanks
Barry
Old 11-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Barry Cazier

Here's the final pictures of repair.
I'm thinking it looks pretty good....but I'm pretty biasis.
Other pictures show close of of pipe repair and close up of the slick K&S Comfort mounts for the pipes. Very nice stuff.

I'm ready to fly again if the weather will just give me a break. I'm on borrowed time for sure. But the 1" of snow we've had is pretty much melted and next week the temps look to be in the 40s. I'll fly in that if given a chance.

thanks
Barry
Old 11-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Barry Cazier

Old 11-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Barry Cazier

don't know why the pictures won't load.
Here's another attempt.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59690.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1321631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91359.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1321632  
Old 11-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Barry Cazier

Ok, here's the pipe pictures.

Name:	Wt59280.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1321635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36708.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	1321636  
Old 11-28-2009, 10:14 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks good Barry. Did you use the repaired pipe?
Old 11-29-2009, 12:14 AM
Barry Cazier

Got 3 flights in today. Chilly, 43*F, breezy, about 5-7 MPH. Great flights.

Name:	Us54131.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	1322445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99557.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	1322446  
Old 11-29-2009, 12:29 AM
Barry Cazier

I had a really great day flying today. It was cold and I had to sit in the pick up to warm my fingers between flights. But it was nice. Got the plane airborne again. Did 3 nice flights. I found the hovers were harder today with a pretty good breeze blowing. Part of this is me, not being used to the plane. Did my first KE loop with this plane. Easy as pie. Little unnerving though on the first one and it was sloppy. But it does them easy. I adjusted the engine just a bit and got it working nearly perfect. I was getting 6500 RPM on the 27B with about 46lbs thrust. This was facing into the wind, I think that helps with thrust readings a bit.

Also I adjsuted the CG back 1/2". This helped a bit in flat spins. Inverted I could get them really flat and maybe 1/4 throttle with no roll out. With the wind that is good. Upright were nice also. Pretty darn flat and slow descending. This plane does a nice flat spin. It's fairly tricky to get into the real flat ones without rolling out but once you get it just right it will lock into them and perform nicely. I think on a dead calm day it would probably support close to 1/2 throttle which would be fairly fast.

I did some inverted hands off 45* uplines. As near as I can tell there is no drop at all. I must be getting pretty close on the CG. However, with a bit of a breeze it's pretty hard to tell. I did some great waterfalls, and some wonderful Harriers with a couple of nice elevators.

I did some rolling circles and just some fun flying. Had a great day.

This plane is a keeper, I think. It flys very neutral and is fun. I'm very impressed with the pipes and thrust readings I'm getting. It pulls out of a hover smartly. I wouldn't call it a rocket by any means but it pulls and accelerates up as high as you want to go.

I'm having a little trouble trusting the KE. I can't get below 20' or so yet. It takes so little throttle I'm nervous about stalling the engine. Just needs to take some getting used to it. And a less windy day.

I need to experment with the CG a little bit more and also I may be "slightly" heavier on the left side. I need to check that out as well. My repair may have added a little weight on that side that I need to compensate for.

I just need to practice with this plane. I'll get the hang of it.

Thanks
Barry
Old 11-29-2009, 12:33 AM
Barry Cazier

Oh...so far the 7950 seems to be adequate on the rudder. The KE loop certainly was easy enough and KE flight is easy with no decernable blow back. Holds very sold in a high alpha. I think it'll be fine for the way I fly.

Thanks
Barry
Old 11-29-2009, 01:07 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a nice looking Yak Barry. Glad you're enjoying it.

BTW, according to Charles (cjcycles) these Yaks don't really don't change much during the CG test at many different CG's. They just stay in a straight line inverted. He can elaborate more. All I know is I moved mine back on my 88" by 1/4" and it didn't change the CG test at all.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:17 PM
diamondave

i thought youd like it barry....im waiting for my cylinder and new exhaust still , hoping to get it this coming week and maybe get out next weekend
Old 11-29-2009, 01:19 PM
diamondave

did you see the short clip of me trying to hover in the wind?? was fun, thats charles standing next to me, was just a short clip from far away but i thought it was cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31qFllZexOE
Old 11-29-2009, 01:32 PM
lokiyawl

Barry,

I am really glad to hear that you have the 110" flying again. It sounds like you really like this plane. Thanks for the report on the single 7950 being fine on the rudder so far. Hopefully you will get a few more warm days before winter sets in there for good and get more flying in, best of luck.

James
Old 11-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Barry Cazier

Dave,
Nice video. I've got to get set up so I can do that. But frankly most of the time I fly alone, unless Steve comes down. But I'm gonna look into video and see how to take them and post them.
That's sorta what my hovers looked like, except I had to have the belly to the wind and as it blew past me I was directly into the sun. So mostly, in an effort to keep it vertical the wind just blew it over backwards. I did get some pretty sustained and steady but they weren't pretty. And sooner or later I couldn't keep them from torque rolling so I just went with it and flew the torque rolls. Fun....just not as pretty and "locked in" as I like.

James....I do like this plane. I'll have a report and a reveiw after 20 flights. I don't really think it's fair to say too much without having at least that many flights to get it balanced and trimmed and me to get used to it. But, it is a great flying plane...so I don't know what else I can say...but we'll see.

Anyways, it was good to fly. I'm hoping those weren't the last flights of the year for me.

Thanks
Barry
Old 11-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Nogyro

ORIGINAL: Barry Cazier

Oh...so far the 7950 seems to be adequate on the rudder. The KE loop certainly was easy enough and KE flight is easy with no decernable blow back. Holds very sold in a high alpha. I think it'll be fine for the way I fly.

Thanks
Barry
Barry,

I'm going to be getting one of the 110's and was considering putting just one of the 7950's on the rudder. It's working out ok for you so far eh?

I've been flying my PAU 36% Edge with two of the 5955's with no trouble at all, but wanted to keep the weight down on the big Yak as much as possible.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.