Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 110" 100cc Yak 54 Build!

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 110" 100cc Yak 54 Build!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 110

ORIGINAL: lokiyawl

Wow that is an awesome looking flying machine..all 29+ lbs.. of it? So then you will be well over 30 with fuel I assume, is this about what you were expecting?

James
Yeah, that's about what I expected. The specs say 27-30lbs. I asked EF and they told me with canisters/pipes most likely it would weigh 29.5lbs. They were pretty darn close. Everybody else seems to be in that neighborhood with pipes. Probably a couple lbs lighter with stock mufflers. I can see about 27lbs if you pay attention and don't use pipes.

Thanks
Barry
Old 11-15-2009, 10:47 PM
lokiyawl
My Feedback: (10)

Barry,

I think that you said a while back that the pipes were about 3 lbs. and that you could get another 4-5 lbs. of thrust so that sounds like a good trade to me. It is hard for me to get my head around an RC plane where a whole pound would only be about 3% of the total weight! Don't hurt yourself loading this mammoth up on Tuesday. (grin) Best of luck to ya and congratulations on the completion.

James
Old 11-16-2009, 09:22 AM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

mine came out around 28&3/4 dry with zdz100 and stock mufflers, and its almost too light.....cant wait to hear your reports, i know you be amazed, i was, felt like ive flown it for years right on the 1st climb out, i leave my stabds on cause i have room in my railer and in my garage, but in my house in az i kept it inside, it was tricky to roll it to fit in the doorway but i was able to do it very carefully without hitting anything, had to use my hole arm on the left, rolling the fues up my forearm kinda to get it in, but it was nice not having to mess with the stabs and leads etc...

we have a guest room kinda, just a mattress on the floor and my plane related stuff is in there, wings, charges, flight box etc....would work though
Old 11-16-2009, 07:48 PM
Barry Cazier

Well.....I've got everything done I can think of. I'm charging the batteries as we speak.
If Steve is willing to help me.......I'm gonna do a maiden flight tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went to the field today and looked around. A slight amount of snow on the grass, but not enough to be a bother. Weather was about 40*F. Should be the same tomorrow and the winds should be calm. All in all.....not too bad to do a maiden.

I'll lay awake all night going over in my mind what I might have forgotten....but I think I'm ready.

Thanks
Barry
Old 11-16-2009, 08:10 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Barry Cazier

Well.....I've got everything done I can think of. I'm charging the batteries as we speak.
If Steve is willing to help me.......I'm gonna do a maiden flight tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went to the field today and looked around. A slight amount of snow on the grass, but not enough to be a bother. Weather was about 40*F. Should be the same tomorrow and the winds should be calm. All in all.....not too bad to do a maiden.

I'll lay awake all night going over in my mind what I might have forgotten....but I think I'm ready.

Thanks
Barry
Goes together pretty quick eh?

Great Luck with the Maiden tomorrow!!
Old 11-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I"ll be there!!
Old 11-16-2009, 10:43 PM
lokiyawl

Barry,

It's fun to be a kid again in ways isn't it? So keyed up over the excitement of the following day that you can't sleep! It does sound like you are ready to me and I suspect that with all of the care you are taking to insure that everything is right that it will be. Double, triple check everything until you feel satisfied and that is all that anyone can do. Can't wait to hear the report on your first flights.

Best of luck, I am pulling for ya.

James
Old 11-17-2009, 04:53 PM
salerno

So how'd ya go Barry?
Old 11-17-2009, 06:26 PM
lokiyawl

I am wondering the same thing and really hoping that the maiden on the brand new 110" went well. Geez, is this the same sort of tension people feel ahead of child birth? (grin)

James
Old 11-17-2009, 07:13 PM
xtraflyr

I am wondering the same thing and really hoping that the maiden on the brand new 110'' went well. Geez, is this the same sort of tension people feel ahead of child birth? (grin)

James
I know I'm like that !The night before the maiden, anything that you kinda questioned during the assembly thinking "eh that should be fine like that"..[]

Come on Barry inquiring minds need to know!!
Old 11-17-2009, 09:07 PM
Barry Cazier

TRIUMPH!!!!!!!!!!!and tragedy........

Eat your heart out Dave. Just another perfect weather day in Idaho.......Man it was nice. About 50*, no wind at all, snow was melted, perfect flying weather.
thanks
Barry

Steve is the handsome one.
Flying picture is of the Yak hovering "down on the deck?"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93748.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	1316135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74462.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	1316136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68679.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	1316137  
Old 11-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Barry Cazier

Oh.....the red Yak is the 110" in the above photo.
Thanks
Barry
Old 11-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Barry Cazier

Couple more.
Thanks
Barry
Old 11-17-2009, 09:12 PM
Barry Cazier

Opps...

One more of the pit area and one of KE flight. At least that's what Steve said he was gonna take a picture of. He's a better pilot than photographer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83502.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	1316146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71374.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	1316147  
Old 11-17-2009, 09:14 PM
xtraflyr

ORIGINAL: Barry Cazier

Eat your heart out Dave. Just another perfect weather day in Idaho.......Man it was nice. About 50*, no wind at all, snow was melted, perfect flying weather.
thanks
Barry

Flying picture is of the Yak hovering ''down on the deck?''
And whats the tragedy??
Old 11-17-2009, 09:14 PM
lokiyawl

Barry,

Great photos but what was the tragedy?? I think that I am reading your posts as you are posting them..

James
Old 11-17-2009, 09:17 PM
lokiyawl

[Barry,

That on the deck hovering photo looks about right to me for the first flight...maybe even a little low. (grin) Your plane looks amazing, glad to hear that the weather was perfect for you. Still nervous about the "and tragedy" part of your post though..

James

James

thanks
Barry

Flying picture is of the Yak hovering ''down on the deck?''

[/quote]
Old 11-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Barry Cazier

Flight report.....

First off: thrust.....I got 46lbs 4oz of thrust. That was on grass at the field. Before I was getting 42lbs at home on the concrete driveway. My experience tells me I'd get about 1.5lbs more on the concrete because the wheels roll easier. Anyways, that was with the 27A. So the pipes netted me about 5lbs more thrust, at least. My weight gain was about 2 ozs. over canisters. Very nice indeed. And even more impressive to me....the transition was excellent. Hovers were very easy and fun and the high alpha KE was nice too. Transition was excellent in both areas. I was pleasantly impressed with the pipes. Curiously....The same engine with the same prop in cooler weather ran quite a bit richer than before. That surprised me. My guess would have been I'd have to richen it a bit. Anyways, for me the pipes are well worth it. Not very much if any more noise. Very nice. My RPM was about 6850RPM. More later on my test of the 27B prop.

First full fight (13 minutes) was beautiful. Engine ran slightly rich but manageable. Strangely I needed +10 clicks of elevator to get it to fly level. All other surfaces required nothing. I did some excellent hovers, very nice high alpha KE, very very little coupling but what there was was to the wheels, almost wing rockless (maybe just a couple inches each way) Harriers. If I introduced a small amount of aileron in either direction it was perfect. Waterfalls were nice and tight with a little left rudder to make them straight. Hovers were excellent and have that "locked in feeling" I'm looking for. Rolling circles were a little sloppy but I'm saying that was because I have a sore arm and had not been flying in over two months. All in all the first flight was very impressive. I did a lot more with it than normal because the engine was reliable and plane felt so good. Oh, Flat Spins. I did some inverted flat spins. I would say they were very good. Nice slow decent and slow spinning. Very much better than the 88". Much much better, but still tries to roll out if you pick up the throttle. Howver, I was at the front of the CG range and the plane felt quite nose heavy. I'm gonna move the CG back at least 1/2 to 3/4" and I'll bet it's even better there. First landing was super easy and nice. No problems. Plane is very impressive.

Thanks
Barry
Old 11-17-2009, 09:35 PM
xtraflyr

So no tragedy then? COOL!!! and Congrats Barry!
Old 11-17-2009, 09:45 PM
Barry Cazier

2nd Flight....

I changed the propeller to a 27B. Surprising the RPM dropped to 6450 RPM and the thrust dropped to about 44.5lbs. That really surprised me. However, this prop "felt" better flying. It seemed to have more thrust in the bottom end. Pulling out of hover was easier and pretty nice actually. I also leaned the engine just a bit and it was working nicely. Also, throttle seemed (felt) more linear. I do have a throttle curve written into my radio and may have to adjust on the 27A and see if I can make it feel better.

This flight was almost too good to be true. Man I had a great time. I was just getting warmed up. Did some very nice flat spins (blenders). Still can't get the "pinwheel" effect I want sometimes but I think moving the CG back will help greatly with that. I'm pretty sure I'll get this plane to do flat spins nicer. Just a little balance work. Anyways great fun. I did a couple of better rolling circles and some great Waterfalls and some nice (some were actually pretty low) hovers. Very confident inspiring plane.

Tragedy>>>>>>>>

After a full 13 minute 2nd flight I made a landing attempt. I bounced the landing (a little bit) and on the 2nd bounce the wheel came off. (must have been a faulty wheel collar) I'm sure this will be covered under warranty. Anyways, the landing gear dug into the grass and flipped the plane up on the nose. It did however do some damage to the landing gear block. And I now have a pretty good "Harry Potter" looking lightniing bolt scratch in my cowl. It also drove the aluminum mount into one of the pipes and sliced about a 3/4" hole in it. Anyways, spoiled all my fun and I only got two flights. However....it certainly is repairable and I'll start on that tonight. That's the problem with the giant scale planes, anytime you have a miscue on landing or hit hard....there is so much weight there that it usually does some damage. If this would have been on my glow planes, I don't think it would do any damage. I do blame myself for being a little rusty from not having flown recently and over confident and didn't pay enough attention to the landing. Steve said: "That's just the way it goes with new planes." Easy for him to say.

Anyways, this plane felt extremely light in the air, all 30+ lbs of it (fully fueled). I'm very impressed. Very . And I think the flat spins will become what I want.

Dang....back to the building table.

Thanks
Barry
Old 11-17-2009, 09:52 PM
xtraflyr

Well that's not to bad but sucks none the less... Maybe try a 28x8 or 10 and see what the thrust is. I would think it would pull more at a lower rpm..
Old 11-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Barry Cazier

yeah...as they always say, it could have been so much worse. Just a little inattendive on the landing. My fault entirely.

I thought the same thing on the thrust...I'm gonna do a bit more testing on that. But the 27B prop definetly felt better in the air. Weird.

Anyways. Just gald to get the maidens out of the way. Always something happens it seems.

Steve......Thank you so much for coming down and helping. I literally couldn't have done it without you. Thanks for wasting you day with me.

Thanks
Barry
Old 11-17-2009, 10:13 PM
lokiyawl

Barry,

Thanks for the update on how the brand new 11" flew today. It sounds to me like you really like the plane a lot. As to the wheel coming off and doing a bit of damage to the plane, that is very fixable with the application of time and money. Now if the plane had not flown up to your expectations, then that would have been tragic and maybe unfixable. It sounds like you have a new friend! I look forward to hearing more.. As to the wheel collar that popped off, did you grind a flat spot in the axle for the set screw and do the loctite thing on the collar? With that much weight I can imagine that it must be even more important. That is interesting what you said about how larger planes seem to be more easily damaged by minor "events". I am noticing that you keep comparing the 110" to the 88". I am wondering if the 110" Yak had come out earlier and you had bypassed the 88" completely, knowing what you know now would you feel that you had missed out on something?

James
Old 11-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a great time Barry. Its been a while since I've been able to get a plane in the air and it was a lot of fun. The weather was perfect also. I know you'll have that thin up in the air again in no time. You had tooooo much fun to let it sit for a while.[8D]
Old 11-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Barry Cazier

Barry,

Thanks for the update on how the brand new 11'' flew today. It sounds to me like you really like the plane a lot. As to the wheel coming off and doing a bit of damage to the plane, that is very fixable with the application of time and money. Now if the plane had not flown up to your expectations, then that would have been tragic and maybe unfixable. It sounds like you have a new friend! I look forward to hearing more.. As to the wheel collar that popped off, did you grind a flat spot in the axle for the set screw and do the loctite thing on the collar? With that much weight I can imagine that it must be even more important. That is interesting what you said about how larger planes seem to be more easily damaged by minor ''events''. I am noticing that you keep comparing the 110'' to the 88''. I am wondering if the 110'' Yak had come out earlier and you had bypassed the 88'' completely, knowing what you know now would you feel that you had missed out on something?

James
James.
Knowing what I know now....I would feel like I missed something not having an 88". The 50cc class is my favorite class. It is the perfect size I think. Cheaper to purchase and get in the air and almost as much fun. I definently thing the 100cc flys better, but it's a hassle to haul, and a little bit more subject to damage with small incidents. Today was a good example. I was disappointed with my 88 only that it didn't flat spin as good as I expected and as good as some of my other planes. It does however, fly extremely good. Only complaint was the flat spin. I think if I ever fly another one.....I'll set it up a little further back on the CG and try some other things to maybe get it to flat spin better.

In my opinion the 110 flys better and is more fun in flight. I really think it is...but just barely. I would fly a 50cc plane more. I have several to prove that. It's just easier to grab and go. But on those days that you are gonna spend some time at the field and you really want to have a great time flying.....the 100cc is the way to go. I can say I really love the 100 cc planes. Maybe if I had a trailer and left them in there all the time I'd think differently. That would be cool.

Anyways, can't really say which would be better for you. My old 88 is the one Steve has in the above picture. He flys it well and I think he likes it. He also has several bigger planes, but I think he also flys the 50cc class more. It is an interesting question though. If I could only have one.....I think I'd go with the 50cc bird.

Thanks
Barry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.