Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Ignition question......

Old 02-03-2014, 09:06 PM
capitalB
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition question......

So I want to use my C+H ignition on one of my 2-stroke road-race bikes..Is there a way to power it up without the receiver signal? I will share all my fame and fortune for the one with the right answer!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	crframe2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1965194  
Old 02-04-2014, 03:13 AM
Tony Hallo

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

The C&H uses a 4.8 battery for power, some folks today are powering from the radio battery using an IBEC. For your bike I would use a 5 volt regulator like this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2V_input_.html hooked up to a switched circuit on your bike. You do not need a receiver signal at all.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:11 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

As far as powering up the ignition goes Tony is correct but I wonder if there is any benefit to be had here. The start up timing and full throttle timing settings need to be close to the same as what the bike's stock ignition but I have a hunch the CH ignition curve has fewer advance steps. You could end up with a bike that has serious hesitation spots under partial throttle.

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 02-24-2014 at 05:13 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:17 AM
capitalB

I was working on this bike as the email appeared..Like minds think alike! The stock ignition has a analog control with 5 steps (not maps) There has go to be away to get the advance-curve off of one of these ignitions. Also, rev-limiter? I will shift as power-comes off of the pipe, so that shouldn't be a issue. We need to find the info on the new ignition!
Old 02-24-2014, 06:57 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

Our ignitions have no rev limiter but are curved to a max RPM of about 8K. Your bike revs a little higher. Maybe CH would be able to make adjustments to the curve? That's something I have been wanting for a while, an ignition that I could hook up to my PC and make adjustments depending on what prop/exhaust combination I am running.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:35 AM
capitalB

It is a 524cc 2 stoke singe that makes 80 hp ant about 6700 rpm. I will at least try it.