Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Best 35% ARF

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 07:03 PM
torotim
My Feedback: (62)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 35% ARF

I recently aquired a fairly tough looking 35% Carden Extra 330 with a new 3W 106 Blue Head. I don't have the time or energy to recover the bird, but I would like to take the motor and radio gear and stick it into a 35% ARF. I've looked real hard at the H9 35% Extra 260 and read threads on how it flys like a million $$, but probably won't last more than a couple of seasons. Problems with the spar coming loose on the ribs and other things that make me nervous about spending $1000 on it.

I cobbed together a 33% H9 Edge 540 last spring and tossed in a ZDZ RVJ 80 to power it and couldn't be happier with it. But after having a number of H9 birds, I can see the weak spots coming, which are usually the landing gear block area and the firewall, which I take apart on the larger H9 planes, and re-assemble with 30 minute epoxy and that will prevent any issues.

Then I talked to Bill at Troy built Models, and Larry at Chief about the Aviation Models 35% Yak, and they both told me that it was one fantastic bird. One issue however, if you aquire any damage, parts are tough to come by. That is were Horizon shines like a million watt bulb. Replacement parts are readily available and reasonably priced heaven forbid something bad happens.

Then there is the Aeroworks QB series. I heard that they fly nice and are well built, but are unreasonably heavy!!

As far as the Quiqe Somenzini stuff, if I do that, I can't walk away from it at a fun-fly, for fear of returning to it to find that no one can tell me which one is mine!!!!

I fly maybe, fifteen to twenty gallons a year though my plane due to way too many hour of construction in our limited Minnesota summers. So what can I throw that 106 into that will last me at least five or six seasons, while flying nice and lasting with good factory support??????
Old 12-13-2007, 07:25 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Best 35% ARF

Too bad you can't salvage the Carden. That's what I'd do if it wasn't too bad. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:39 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

http://www.pacificplanes.com/Specifi...s01.aspx#extra

Extra 260

$779 with cf tubes and tail gear and useable hardware. They come in at 26.5 on DA-100 mine with Torch 90 and metal pipe is 24.75 lb.

You would certainly have to do rudder servos in the tail and and batteries back in the radio bay to keep all weight back as they can be slightly noseheavy with DA-100.

Can't give you much info about longevity since they just came out early this year. My impression is the frame is lightweight and durable but not built to crash. It is a nice design. See the vids on the website.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Also by January Extreme Flight will have a nice 110 inch Yak 54. There product always shines.

RDB
Old 12-13-2007, 07:45 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

yeah don't forgot to look at that DA-85
Old 12-13-2007, 07:46 PM
RVBlack
My Feedback: (27)

I went to Aeroworks and picked up my 35% 260 in person and it is NICE. They showed me around and there are plenty of spare parts, thats if you would need them. Get on there web site and watch some of those video's. One of them is from Colorado (5000' above sea level) (I was there), if it can fly that good there (I know Mark L. jr. was flying it) it will fly good any where.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:53 PM
Hooked-On-RC
My Feedback: (16)

I don't know where you get the idea that the Aeroworks QB series 35% planes are heavy. I know guys have had issues with them being nose heavy and have had to re-work battery placement etc, but the one I have comes in at 27.5 pounds dry with DA100 on cans and that is very acceptable for that size plane. As for spare parts and customer service, it is tough to find someone as good as Aeroworks!
Old 12-13-2007, 08:21 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

Look at the pacific Planes 35% Extra. Great plane, good price and great included hardware.

Parts are interchangeable with Aeroworks and with Rich Model.

I made a huge spreadsheet of all the 35% Extras out there and this one came on top.

ORIGINAL: torotim

I recently aquired a fairly tough looking 35% Carden Extra 330 with a new 3W 106 Blue Head. I don't have the time or energy to recover the bird, but I would like to take the motor and radio gear and stick it into a 35% ARF. I've looked real hard at the H9 35% Extra 260 and read threads on how it flys like a million $$, but probably won't last more than a couple of seasons. Problems with the spar coming loose on the ribs and other things that make me nervous about spending $1000 on it.

I cobbed together a 33% H9 Edge 540 last spring and tossed in a ZDZ RVJ 80 to power it and couldn't be happier with it. But after having a number of H9 birds, I can see the weak spots coming, which are usually the landing gear block area and the firewall, which I take apart on the larger H9 planes, and re-assemble with 30 minute epoxy and that will prevent any issues.

Then I talked to Bill at Troy built Models, and Larry at Chief about the Aviation Models 35% Yak, and they both told me that it was one fantastic bird. One issue however, if you aquire any damage, parts are tough to come by. That is were Horizon shines like a million watt bulb. Replacement parts are readily available and reasonably priced heaven forbid something bad happens.

Then there is the Aeroworks QB series. I heard that they fly nice and are well built, but are unreasonably heavy!!

As far as the Quiqe Somenzini stuff, if I do that, I can't walk away from it at a fun-fly, for fear of returning to it to find that no one can tell me which one is mine!!!!

I fly maybe, fifteen to twenty gallons a year though my plane due to way too many hour of construction in our limited Minnesota summers. So what can I throw that 106 into that will last me at least five or six seasons, while flying nice and lasting with good factory support??????
Old 12-13-2007, 08:35 PM
smarks

ORIGINAL: Hooked-On-RC

I don't know where you get the idea that the Aeroworks QB series 35% planes are heavy. I know guys have had issues with them being nose heavy and have had to re-work battery placement etc, but the one I have comes in at 27.5 pounds dry with DA100 on cans and that is very acceptable for that size plane. As for spare parts and customer service, it is tough to find someone as good as Aeroworks!
Right, AW heavy?? They are built to last, but can be lightened very easily. Look at Joe Hunt's or Bodywerks 96" Extra 260. 21lbs 3oz and 20lbs 15oz respectively. Not heavy in my opinion, infact, extremely light!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6639076

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6713838
Old 12-13-2007, 08:45 PM
torotim

Sorry, I had to pause for supper followed by a quick fix with my E-Flite Blade.

It's not totally out of the question yet. It's not beat, it just looks like s--t. No imagination on the scheme. It's a lot of work to strip and recover a plane of that size.

I'm very anal on appearance.

I spent all winter on a Goldberg Ultimate last year just to make it look nice. Then decided after five or six flights with a Saito 125 and 30% nitro, that I was never going to clean a nitro plane again.

That's when I realized how much I don't like covering.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92110.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	825038  
Old 12-13-2007, 08:51 PM
torotim

The part about the Aeroworks being heavy is only what a friend told me from what someone else had told him, We all know how that goes sometimes. That's why I'm starting this thread, to discuss "what is"... The PacificPlanes looks hauntingly like an Aeroworks job.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:27 PM
Taildragger726

The wing area/wing loading is what makes the SD Yak so good. If you can be creative sourcing parts, go for it !!
Old 12-14-2007, 09:05 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget to look at the PAU 36% Edge!!!

[link]http://performancercaircraft.com/html/edge_36/edge_36.html[/link]

THIS WILL BE THE PLANE TO HAVE!!! I have flown the 43% version and it ROCKS!! The 43% was flying down at the Vegas Huckfest and drew RAVE REVIEWS by all that flew it!!

This is a brand new offering from PAU and is just the start of what PAU will be unveiling in the future.

Good luck on your decision!! It sure is hard to pick with all of the quality choices we have today

Oh yeah, I forgot to add the fact that these planes come COMPLETE with DUBRO and H9 hardware!! (fuel tank, wheels and axles, titanium pushrods, ULTRACOTE, carbon fiber)!!
Check out the complete list on their website!!

Regards,

Astrohog
Old 12-14-2007, 09:12 AM
Torqued-Up

Dude... Take the time to get the Carden the way you want it... If that means stripping and recovering it to suit you, then do it... You'll wind up with a better airplane, for fewer $$$... Plus, by the time you buy an ARF and gear it up, you could have the Carden recovered and flying...

my 2 cents...

Old 12-14-2007, 09:53 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I have had the QQ Yak, Aeroworks 260, and now the H9 260.
Weight for wing area, built stock, the H9 wins hands down.
Flight performance, out of the box, set up per the manual, the H9 again wins, but I got my AW to fly equally as good - it just took some more time.
Size, again, goes to H9.
Initial quality, hands down, goes to Aeroworks.
Fit and finish goes to Aeroworks.
Completeness and quickness of assembly is a toss-up between H9 and AW.
Long-term quality - again, Aeroworks, hands down.
Structural rigidity/soundness (not having a tendency to twist or fail) goes to Aeroworks - very rigid fuse and nearly bulletproof wings, and the stabs fit tight - no play.
Looks - I like them all. They all do something for me. The Aeroworks just looks sexy, the H9 just looks cool, and the QQ makes you feel like Quique just handed you his transmitter to one of his own Yaks!
I haven't given the QQ any props, but it is an awesome performer and has a STRONG name standing behind it. The quality is good, but it's degree of prefinish is not on par with H9 or AW. If that doesn't bother you, and you like Yaks, his is THE 100cc Yak to have.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:01 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

ORIGINAL: bodywerks

I have had the QQ Yak, Aeroworks 260, and now the H9 260.
Weight for wing area, built stock, the H9 wins hands down.
Flight performance, out of the box, set up per the manual, the H9 again wins, but I got my AW to fly equally as good - it just took some more time.
Size, again, goes to H9.
Initial quality, hands down, goes to Aeroworks.
Fit and finish goes to Aeroworks.
Completeness and quickness of assembly is a toss-up between H9 and AW.
Long-term quality - again, Aeroworks, hands down.
Structural rigidity/soundness (not having a tendency to twist or fail) goes to Aeroworks - very rigid fuse and nearly bulletproof wings, and the stabs fit tight - no play.
Looks - I like them all. They all do something for me. The Aeroworks just looks sexy, the H9 just looks cool, and the QQ makes you feel like Quique just handed you his transmitter to one of his own Yaks!
I haven't given the QQ any props, but it is an awesome performer and has a STRONG name standing behind it. The quality is good, but it's degree of prefinish is not on par with H9 or AW. If that doesn't bother you, and you like Yaks, his is THE 100cc Yak to have.
That pretty much sums it up.

The H9 260 is still the best flying plane out of the box I've ever had.

I will add that the Gen III QQ yaks look pretty damn good, never flown a QQ yak but there are a few at my field.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:33 PM
IShootSharpStix

Why not let someone with a creative side and Vinyl expertise design something to dress that Carden up? BadBradGraphics.Com can really turn an otherwise boring scheme into an eye-catcher for a very reasonable cost. Check out the pics on his website, then shoot him pics and see what he can come up with. He is very easy to work with and does very nice work.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Johnny Mojo

How much for the Carden Airframe? I know someone looking to get one.

J.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:03 PM
randy racer
My Feedback: (3)

there is a reason there are so many QQ yaks at the fly-ins, they are the best out there. i replaced my last QQ yak with another brand arf and it is a vey nice plane but not in the overall class as the QQ. there are several great arf's out there today and you won't go wrong with most of them but if you want the best plane backed by the best service get the QQ yak.

randy
Old 12-14-2007, 04:43 PM
flying skunks
My Feedback: (7)

in the 35% class I have the SD Yak and Extra 260,Great planes,I personally love the SD Yak,where my son loves the Extra.I dont think that you can go wrong with an SD Yak personally.I owned a 33% SD Yak with a 3W 100 and flew over 2500 flights on her with no structural failures at all, and yes it is possible to fly a plane that many times. My $.02
Donnie
Old 12-14-2007, 05:32 PM
torotim

As far as coming up with a scheme and doing the work, I don't have a problem with that. I do construction in the summer, but in the winter when I'm not working on planes, I have been doing custom autobody refinishing since 1979 and I use two different custom vinyl graphics business's locally, who can do anything I ask them to do. One does a lot of work for Arctic Cat swowmobiles and ATV's, which are built in my back yard so you know their good!

I just want to make sure the plane is worth it. I weighed it today, and it comes up 32 lbs minus any radio gear or batteries. I removed three lbs of NiCd's to use for a door stop. I would have used them for an anchor had it not been for EPA regulations. The guy who built it left a lot of gaps in some glue joints and filled them with CA. The more I look at the workmanship, the more I wonder if it's feasable to repair and recover it!
Old 12-14-2007, 06:35 PM
bodywerks

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

doesn't sound like it...
Old 12-14-2007, 06:52 PM
flying skunks

the 35% SD with a ZDZ 120 and fuse mufflers all up weight is 28lbs.
Donnie
Old 12-14-2007, 07:44 PM
Torqued-Up

Geez... 32 lbs w/o radio gear... Can you say "brick"... If it were me, I'd be looking for an ARF too...

I've either owned or flown most of the ARFs listed in this thread and to be perfectly honest you won't go wrong with any of them... It comes down to personal preference... Yes, some are lighter than others and some fly better than another, but they are all basically good ARFs...

Having said that, I currently have a 35% H9 260 and am very happy with it...

Old 12-14-2007, 07:58 PM
flying skunks

very well said [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.