Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extentions and Y's- which way is best

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extentions and Y's- which way is best

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 08:25 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Extentions and Y's- which way is best

For dual digital servos in the tail (dual elev, dual rud), do you guys run one extention first and then the "Y" or the "Y" first into two extentions?
Old 04-14-2003, 08:39 AM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have enough channels, run each servo on its own channel. For example, left elevator on the elevator and right elevator on AUX1. Then mix elevator to AUX1. This way you can use the radio to make trim adjustments so that both elevator halves stay lined up with each other.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:31 PM
causeitflies

Default on the same channel

Thanks DMcQuinn, but I'm referring to servos on the same channel. One long extention with a "Y" or a "Y" with two long extentions?
Old 04-14-2003, 09:57 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

I'm not sure it makes much difference where you put the "Y". I would use an extension with number 22 gauge wire, not 26 gauge wire. I have done some experimenting with a 12 inch long servo extension that I believe is about number 26 wire. Under high loads (2 amps) there was more voltage loss as measured at the servo as compared to 22 gauge wire.
The large digital servos are capable of drawing one amp or more under high load conditions. I measured 1.7 amps on a stalled JR DS 8411 servo.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:05 PM
causeitflies

All extentions will be 22 ga. but I just got to wondering about this. If the wire is heavy enough there is no problem either way but I wondered how most guys did it. Naturally in a wing you have to have the "Y" first and then the extentions. I actually had to check one of my planes because i forgot which method I used in the tail section. :stupid:
Old 04-14-2003, 11:26 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best method would be to run four HD extension's to the rear of the model, no wyes. With todays radios there is little reason to use wyes. I would strongly recommend against using wyes whenever possible. The increased current handling capabilities, lower Resistance from using multiple extensions and the features of trimming, sub-trimming and mixes are a real world plus, IMO. Not to mention the ability to decrease the likelihood of a singe point failure.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:32 AM
chasrb

Default RE: Extentions and Y's- which way is best

I am finisheing off a 1/3 Laser and have all my tail surface servo in the rear. having read that each servo should have its own lead to the receiver, would you recomend using a choke or islator in the wire? The total lead length would be about 30"

Thanks
Old 12-06-2005, 12:30 PM
mglavin

I have never realized the need to utilize a choke, isolator, buffered, amplified or what have you device on long extensions. However some have found the need based on model and or radio equipment specific nuances. I would rig the model without the extra goodies and perform a rigorous range check with and without engine running. If it’s all good speculating on the need was moot and you saved a few bucks too.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:00 PM
Rockyaged

I don't like "y" cords or extensions. Problems have been traced to the plugs
used to connect our wiring. Not alot, I'll sdmit, but I like to reduce that possible
cause as much as possible. I do so by splicing 22 guage servo wiring into the
servo leads in my planes. My newest, a 33% Extra 260, has 8 JR 8611 and 2
JR standard servos. By splicing the servo wiring in, I eliminated 10 extensions.
More time consuming, but actually cheaper and safer. If you have no or little
experience in soldering, have some one do it for you.

Gerald
Old 12-06-2005, 03:13 PM
chasrb

This is all good info, I went to the LHS and picked up some 24" extentions for this plane so I will have ne for each servo in the tail(4).
Personally I have never had a problem with the connetor/extentions, but there again I have only done glow until now. I am putting an older (gold body) Brison 4.2 on this airframe. Using Hitec 645 MG for the elev halves and rudder. I am placing a Hitec 5645 in each wing and using a 3003 Futaba or hitec 635 for the throttle. I have the ElectroDanmics pow'r bus pro and the fiber optic kill setup.

I will use one 3800 maH 4.8 for the servos and a 600 or 1100 maH 4.8 for the RX.

So there is the setup.

Old 12-06-2005, 03:15 PM
mglavin

Make sure all the extension are quality HD units with gold plated connector pins...
Old 12-06-2005, 03:45 PM
chasrb

I picked up Expert brand 22ga, gold connectors.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:56 PM
causeitflies

What I ended up doing (since starting this thread two years ago) was using one HD "Y" for my elevator connected directly to the servos via HD soldered wire. One of the Hitec 5945 servos is reversed so no hassle with another channel. I was going to use two 5645s on the rudder but opted for one 5995 to make it simpler and using no extensions and spliced wire.

The plane is a Lanier 31.5% Staudacher S-600.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:12 PM
chasrb

I originally was going to use a Y for the rudder in push-pull setup and a reversing Y (so both servos go the same direction) in the elev halves. From a recovery standpoint, I can see using separate leads for the elev halves. if one fails there is a possibility of control.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:09 PM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

From what I've experienced, it's almost impossible to get your dual surfaces to travel the same using a Y harness. Even the ones with the adjustment pot will change on you and you end up with unequal travel. What Y harness is going to be the least of your problems. IMHO
Old 12-06-2005, 05:22 PM
chasrb

Since I have the extentions now, I'll start out with one per servo and see how that works.

Thanks
Old 12-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Rockyaged

"y" cord or mixing...?? On my extra, I use mixing for both
Elevator and rudder servos. The servos do not have the
capability to move the same amount of travel, and even a very
small difference will cause the servos to mis-match. Not so bad
on Elevators, but "y" cording Rudder servos, it makes a bigger
difference. If you've ever hooked up digital servos with a "y"
cord, you quite possibly heard the servos making sort of a
screeching noise. With mixing, you can adjust the servo travels
so that neither servo works against the other. This will also save
on current drain.

Gerald
Old 12-06-2005, 09:30 PM
NdFrSpeed
My Feedback: (1)

Well ill tell you how i do it in 33% and up,,i make all my own leads,,ive got 20 ga,,silicon wire,,lite and soft,,like on elevator servos,,cut the wire short off the servo,,measure what i need to the recieve,,solder up one complete wire,,no connections,,only at the reciever,,the less connections the less chance of problems,,multiple wing servos,,i do the same,,but i use 3 pin mini dean connectors where it comes inside the fuselage,,,then make my own Y's,,3 pin deans on one end,,receiver connector on the other,,,Deans are just way more positive of connector,,i use Deans everywhere,,all battery leads,all switchs,,,my idea is the weak link in all our RC gear is the cheap connectors they use on the radios,,to me there just plane junk,,you keep pluging and unpluging wing connectors of regular radio gear see how lose they get over time,,lose plug,,bad connection.....im not going to lose a 40% plane to bad connector..

NdFrSpeed
Old 12-06-2005, 10:36 PM
causeitflies

The nice thing about the Hitec digitals is that they are programmable so there is no need to use mixing. The nice thing about mixing is you can make adjusments easier in the field.