Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

BME 37% Ultimate????

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 08:28 PM
dbcaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BME 37% Ultimate????

I received the BME Ultimate today. I must agree with what everyone says about the quality. I have built my last couple of planes from kits so I was not sure if I wanted an ARF. Buying this reminds me of why I don't like covering planes. I don't think I could ever dream of being able to cover as good as this plane is done.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:56 PM
islandflyer

I received the BME Ultimate today. I must agree with what everyone says about the quality. I have built my last couple of planes from kits so I was not sure if I wanted an ARF. Buying this reminds me of why I don't like covering planes. I don't think I could ever dream of being able to cover as good as this plane is done.
Wait till you see how it fly: you'll a blast!
Old 02-14-2008, 09:09 PM
martinarcher
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dbcaster

Told you they were nice. It would take a lot of care to cover it as well as they did! I was impressed too!
Old 02-14-2008, 09:34 PM
sweetpea01

ORIGINAL: martinarcher

Told you they were nice. It would take a lot of care to cover it as well as they did! I was impressed too!
You guys are killing me........I'm going to strip mine down and recover it.

I hate the color scheme.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:50 PM
martinarcher

ORIGINAL: sweetpea01

ORIGINAL: martinarcher

You guys are killing me........I'm going to strip mine down and recover it.

I hate the color scheme.

That's nuts man! I like the way they look, but I've always wanted an all black Ultimate with airbrushed flames coming off the cowl and checkered looking tears across the wings. I think it would look pretty freakin good. That's way too much work - I'll stick with the red, blue and silver!
Old 02-14-2008, 11:31 PM
dbcaster

I believe the covering scheme is based on a full scale Ultimate. I do like the scheme but what impresses me the most is the quality of the covering job and fit and finish.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:11 AM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

The Color scheme comes from the 10-200. I believe there was only one built. It looks more like a pitts than a 10-300.

The only prob I had with mine was that the sheeting on the wing was starting to roll up under the covering on the top.

Dang all this Ultimate talk is making me want another one.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:55 AM
martinarcher

ORIGINAL: Thunderbolt47

The Color scheme comes from the 10-200. I believe there was only one built. It looks more like a pitts than a 10-300.

The only prob I had with mine was that the sheeting on the wing was starting to roll up under the covering on the top.

Dang all this Ultimate talk is making me want another one.
Order another one!!!! You know you won't regret it.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:05 AM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Guys, I don't know if this will help, but when I ran the servo wires in the wings. I did them different than the instuctions.
I hope I Remmember this correctly. It really speeds up the setup time.

First in the top wing, The servo wire hole runs all the way through the wing. I drilled a hole in the center root section to aliagn with the servo wire hole. The servo mounts on the inside "ribs" are solid. cut a hole in this side to expose the wire hole. I used a long 1/4" rod and gently poked a hole big enough to get my servo plugs though. Then I cut a hole in the bottom covering/sheeting to intersect with the servo hole. About one inch from the center. (AKA the inboard edge) I always soldier my extentions to the servos. Make them long enough to reach out from the top wing about 6". Then use a charge jack switch mount in the top of the fuse to plug the extention in. (like the Great Planes Pitts was done. if your familier with that) It isn't the prettiest way to do it but it saves a lot of time at the field

Bottom wing;
Inlarge the hole in the root. mine was around 3/4"x 1 1/2. This will allow the plug to recess in the wing without having to hook it up and safty clip it in the fuse. I cut the foam pocket with my soldiering iron with a piece of wire bent in a square. just dig it out.

Now this way, you ellimanate three connectors on each side. Connector are a point of failure. I had one connector on each wing half. The way the instuction tell you to do it you will have. 1 to plug the wing in. 2 in the struts. that's 3 total. Plus you will have two wires ran parallel (sp?) with each other down the length of the bottom wing. I don't like to do that. The top wing has only one also.

I could put my plane together without ever removing the canopy hatch. But I always did anyways just to look inside.

I hope this will help. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Kelly
Old 07-24-2008, 01:44 PM
smokin
My Feedback: (33)

ours flies great with the 3w100. it is just about 27 1/2 lbs and will go straight up as long as you want it to!!! Unlimited vertical. this is a very responsive plane and it is as gentle as a trainer to land and control on the ground. what a great airframe for the $650!!

does anyone know where you can get a carbon main gear for this plane? the only complaint we have had is the sturdiness of the gear. we have a grass field and the bumps in the field (even during taxi) are just hard on the generic alum gear the kit comes with. the stock gear seems to have a bit too much flex to it and the wood around it will tend to flex as well. we are NOT landing this plane hard at all and the gear is weakening. any info would be greatly appreciated as we have been looking for carbon replacement gear for about 4 months now with no luck!

thanks,
matt
Old 07-27-2008, 06:24 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt,

I still have the stock gear on my BME Ultimate. Luckily, I have not had the issue with the gear that you are experiencing. I did have a similar issue with my 52 pound 40% Yak 54. Everytime I landed the Yak, the stock gear flattened causing the prop to be destroyed. After losing two props, I ordered the T 6 aluminum gear from TNT and the problem was solved. Give TNT Landing Gear a call, I think you will be satisfied with their product.

David
Old 07-27-2008, 08:07 PM
kwilson

I have had 2 of these planes with the DA 100. I modified it for use with canister mufflers. I tried everything possible to lighten the second one and it flew much better than the first (which flew great). I installed carbon wing tubes and landing gear, used a push pull servo setup on the rudder, used carbon and titanium pushrods everywhere, titanium wheel axles, etc. It balanced perfectly by mounting the motor directly to the firewall and having the rudder servos in the tail. You must replace the flying wires as the ones in the kit will break. So will the crappy linkage connectors they provide. My advise is to discard most of the hardware provided in favor of name brand. The only thing i really disliked was that the covering would wrinkle and nothing would tighten it back up. I will try to find my receipts and let you know where I got the landing gear. Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt58891.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	999069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46220.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	999070  
Old 11-29-2010, 12:22 PM
Halfnite

Hi, I have just finished a 37% Ultimate. I put the new DA 120 up front with a 4.5 in. cf spinner. HOW is the BEST way to balance this plane? How is it suspended or what kind of cg fixture do you use? Mike [email protected]
Old 12-01-2010, 06:55 PM
islandflyer

To get the CG with the recommended range, you can simply follow the instructions from the on-line manual, ans place a small level on top of the front hatch.
I used a thin rope to lift the plane from the ply plate installed at the top of the cabane.
As long as you balance it this way within the recommended range, it will be a safe place to start.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:36 AM
Carrera_911

ORIGINAL: Halfnite

Hi, I have just finished a 37% Ultimate. I put the new DA 120 up front with a 4.5 in. cf spinner. HOW is the BEST way to balance this plane? How is it suspended or what kind of cg fixture do you use? Mike [email protected]
Hlafnite,
How is the DA-120 working for you? I recently aquired a BME Ultimate and that is the motor I want to go with. I imagine it flies really well. My first job is to recover my bipe and then work on the installing the motor.
Send along a video or some pics of your bipe if you have them.

Matt
Old 03-22-2011, 07:00 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys seen the new one yet?

Old 04-17-2011, 02:17 PM
0tter
My Feedback: (39)

Thats soo gay looking...
Old 04-17-2011, 03:45 PM
JohnVH

Come on Dale, you dig it!!
Old 04-18-2011, 08:16 AM
0tter
My Feedback: (39)

lol - just thought I'd pop in and bust your chops... I'd end up making kindling outa it!
Old 04-18-2011, 08:18 AM
JohnVH

at least its not pink (remember your 40% bunny plane?) :P

Long time buddy, hope all is well!
Old 04-25-2011, 06:07 AM
Carrera_911

Hey guys,
So is there any reason not to use a BME 110 on the BME Ultimate?
My main concern is company stability and future support for the product. I think we all agree the 110/116 are plenty of motor, but I have had zero experience with the BME, which leaves me less willing to take a chance with it.

Anyway, I would like to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks!
MS