Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 and Carden Aircraft Join forces

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Hanger 9 and Carden Aircraft Join forces

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Rush7
My Feedback: (74)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger 9 and Carden Aircraft Join forces

I thought that some of you might find this interesting.

Hangar 9 and Carden Aircraft Join Forces

Posted: 2/26/2008
Provider Name:
Written By: Dennis Gergits
Copyright:© 2008 Horizon Hobby, Inc.

Hangar 9 and Carden Aircraft have come together to offer a scale aerobatic aircraft for everyone.

Over the last 18 years, there has been a lot of history between Horizon and Carden Aircraft...and it's all been good. This relationship has resulted in a partnership association between Hangar 9 and Carden Aircraft Designs. Both Mike McConville and I love to design, engineer and fly R/C models. For more than 12 years, Mike's friendship and feedback on our products (as a world-class aerobatic champion) has helped guide the Carden Aircraft line of kits. Although Mike and I think a lot alike when it comes to models, other common traits such as honesty, integrity and mutual respect for each other's abilities and shortcomings should be included in the mix. The critical support of the entire Hangar 9 team was a most pleasant surprise. These easy-to-work-with professionals really make this partnership a pleasure. Now everyone can enjoy innovative Carden designs, unique Carden construction and superb flight performance---all wrapped up into a professional quality ARF. In my opinion, manufacturing at the best factory with hobby shop or mail order availability and great customer service is a winning combination.

Top designers and competitors like Mike, and professional builders like Brian Hueffmeier, have long recognized that the Carden approach to aerobatic designs and construction results in models that compete well at the highest levels. For example, over the last 7 Tournament of Champions competitions in Las Vegas, more Carden Aircraft models have competed (16 total) than models by any other company. Most recently, Carden designs have experienced a first place in the Unlimited Class at the 2007 IMAC Nats, 2007 Canadian Nats and a top five finish in the Invitational class at the 2007 Tucson Aerobatic Shootout.
One of our goals was to be able to provide the same level of overall quality to all modelers in a smaller size ARF product. The first task was to develop a CAD set of plans, paying close attention to a spot-on reduction in size without compromising durability and a low flying weight. The result is a competition-ready 50cc ARF that is the same size as the Carden 30% models but at a finished dry weight of only 17 pounds. Just wait until you experience the flight performance!
There were a lot of smiles during the flight testing of the 89" Yak. The first flight tests were done at the Carden Aircraft test site. There were a number of firsts, including the arrival of "TrixieMae" the stray Pit Bull. After a few successful test flights, Mike and I were sitting on the flight line enjoying some wonderful weather when the Trixter showed up. She immediately bonded with us and it was clear she was a Carden kind of dog. One big lesson that day was that Pit Bulls can jump really high...we almost lost the prototype on final approach when Trixie nearly plucked it out of the air! Trixie's extreme speed and high jumping abilities are now directed toward frizbees!

Another first we'll never forget was a very low fly over from something other than the normal C-130 traffic that treats our factory to frequent free "air shows". It was a V-22 Osprey, low and slow. This was the second day for our guest Trixie who showed great interest but no prey drive toward the Osprey. Obviously, she realized jumping to tree level height was not possible. What an amazing sound this military machine made.
We built the second prototype with a few minor upgrades. We made several very successful test flights in Champaign, Illinois to put the final touches on the project. The rest is history. We hope you are as pleased with our collaborative effort on this Yak. I hope that the future will bring even more surprises!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29342.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	890442  
Old 02-27-2008, 10:46 PM
Rush7

Default RE: Hanger 9 and Carden Aircraft Join forces

I was knocked over when I saw the scheme on this thing. It looks almost identical to a guy's plane that use to live here in Chattanooga that went to work for Horizon Hobbies.
His name is David Payne and I think he is one of the best pilots that I have ever seen fly. Here is a picture of his 40% Carden Yak and 40% Carden Edge 540.
I will let you guys be the judge on the covering scheme, is it the same or not?

Name:	Fc90348.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	890443  
Old 02-27-2008, 11:17 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Nice,

When is it available, what are the dimensions?

Old 02-27-2008, 11:39 PM
Rush7

89" wingspan at 17lbs dry.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:59 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

It looks like the colour scheme of the E flite 260 [X(]
Whats up with that?

Name:	Hf99196.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	890506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19086.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	890507  
Old 02-28-2008, 12:58 PM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Yes, its the scheme from David's 150cc Yak. We liked that schemem a lot, and being that David is in the Horizon family it was a natural. We dd also use his scheme on the E Flite 260 as well. That was his Edge 540 scheme, the Yak has the flames on the cowl same as his big Carden Yak. David will be campaigning one of the new Hangar 9 Carden Yaks this summer.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:01 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Will there be anymore offerings Mike ,,, like bigger 35% to 40% birds,,
Old 02-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, With a Hanger 9/ Carden partnership, I think the aircraft that emerge from this fantastic "gene pool" will raise the bar by quite a bit. Sign me up for the field testing and customer appreciation programs.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:38 PM
octanehuffer

Does it have a pull pull rudder?
Old 02-29-2008, 12:29 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Here's a link to the planes web page. http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN4650

Decent price. I figured it would be more. Plane looks sharp. Nice job Mike.

Mike, do you have to pre-pay to get on the list for the first shipment?
Old 02-29-2008, 02:53 PM
marc 540
My Feedback: (6)

I wonder If they have any plan's for more carden/hanger 9 plane's? I vote for an Edge 540!!!
It's probably the only way I could ever afford a Carden design. Seem's like a VERY smart move by Carden Aircraft to join forces and make there design's more affordable for the average modeler.

Marc 540[8D]
Old 02-29-2008, 04:11 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

I like the construction of the Carden airplanes. Seem to be more sturdy than some other designs.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:28 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't see the color scheme in question.

Are there airplanes in that picture?
Old 02-29-2008, 05:38 PM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Yes, it has pull/pull rudder and tail mounted servo options and parts for both. Wit the DA-50 or a similar weigh engine, the pull/pull is needed.

You'll pre-order them through your LHS same as with any other new Hangar 9 model. Nothing will be different.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:19 PM
fombyracing
My Feedback: (2)

Mike,
I was going to order my DA 50 for this airplane. Which standoffs would I need? 2 1/2" or 3"?