Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Lanier 94" Yak help

Old 06-15-2008, 11:55 AM
2robinhood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lanier 94" Yak help

I just started the DL for the first time. I blew through the vent tube to get the gas to the carb. Fliped it 15 times with choke closed and ignition off. Turned ignition on and choke on, fliped it four times and it poped. Turned choke off and four more flips and it was running. I put only 12 oz of fuel in it and heat cycled it twice. When I got almost empty I did a fast full throttle burst to get a rpm reading. With a JFX 27 X 10, factory carb settings, and only 12oz of fuel ever run in it, the DL-100 turned 6250rpm.
This is my first gasser over 50cc.
I had the wife work the throttle as I held the plane and tach.
It was a mother to hold back.

Balancing will be just fine without adding any weight.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:11 PM
2robinhood

Has anyone changed the wing mounting bolts or are planning to?
How tight should they be tightened?
Old 06-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Doppelganger
My Feedback: (1)

Just a heads up. I'm probably going to sell my Extra and Yak. Not looking to make a dime from them. I just happened upon a new project. If anyone is interested, the price is exactly what we paid for them. But the buyer will have to sping for shipping. Since these are discontinued, it would be a good idea to have a spare. PM me if interested.

PS. I thought I'd post here first as to give you guys that follow the thread first shot.

Steve
Old 06-15-2008, 10:54 PM
Mitsu1
My Feedback: (13)

I already made a mod to mine on the wing attachment. I added a 1/4X20 nylon bolt, permanently attached to the wing that passes into the inside of fuselage just in front of the rear anti-rotation pin. I added a piece of plywood in the area to accept the bolt. I have it secured with a nylon wing nut. I've never even had the front wing bolt in place yet, but I felt it wasn't going to be enough for me to feel safe with.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:00 PM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

I put holes in my Anti-rotation pins in the rear, and clevis them.

I Goop the wing bolt's head after tightening them, just keep it from vibro-rotating.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:02 PM
RAMMJETT

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hy guys been gone for a while flying.to baffle the cowl i just blocked the botton half of the opening in the front of the cowl.and made a decent hole in the bottom .i run the da 100 and on a new motor dont get over 180 .actually i ran with no baffle and had no problem but the guys buged me till i put baffles in. i juess it is a good idea but dont worry about getting to fancy it cools good anyhoo
Old 06-17-2008, 05:09 PM
RAMMJETT

forgot to say this plane flys great .rock solid .great downline breaking.came in at 22-3/4 lbs.floats like a baloon.very solid in the wind .and we have had lots fo that. use lots of expo for the elevator for landing it is very sensitive
Old 06-17-2008, 05:28 PM
matfree

So can you send some pics of your baffle work? Have not seen anything done on this plane yet. THanks
Old 06-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Doppelganger

Decided to build the Yak. RamJett, been a while. Have you tried any IMAC type flying with the Yak? I'm curious as to how it will fly the sequences. funny how this plane is so much bigger than the Extra. Then again, I believe the scale model is larger as well.

Steve
Old 06-17-2008, 07:22 PM
RAMMJETT

dopp i am not mutch of a imac type flyer .but i can tell you this thing will do anything i ask .i even tryed a pinwheel from hover no problem .this plane would make the worst hack look like a pro.i am going to the new hitec 7955 servos on the elevator for better resolution.the big throw makes small movement for landing pretty dicy
Old 06-17-2008, 07:42 PM
Mitsu1

What are you guys doing about the wiring in the wings? I don't like the idea of the wires just flopping back and forth inside the wings.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Doppelganger

Okay. Thanks for the reply.

Steve
Old 06-17-2008, 09:15 PM
2robinhood

ORIGINAL: RAMMJETT

hy guys been gone for a while flying.to baffle the cowl i just blocked the botton half of the opening in the front of the cowl.and made a decent hole in the bottom .i run the da 100 and on a new motor dont get over 180 .actually i ran with no baffle and had no problem but the guys buged me till i put baffles in. i juess it is a good idea but dont worry about getting to fancy it cools good anyhoo

Can you post a few pictureS of you baffleing? I have mine bottom baffled, but I am haveing a real hard time trying to do something on top, since you can't slip the cowl on over the mufflers with top baffles.
I have a DL-100 in mine.
Here are a few pictures of mine.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:41 AM
Mitsu1

Robinhood, your baffling looks extremely close to mine, .. you must have used the ice bins I mentioned . What did you use to glue them in? I was told by a local guy to use Goop ... and that was the worst advice I've had in a long while. After getting them just like I wanted them, I glued them in .. then next day I tapped on it as a strength test ... and they both just fell right out! Now I have to start all over and re-paint them again before using some other adhesive. What did you use? By the way I made a top half and a bottom half and trimmed them to fit around the fins as you did.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:07 PM
matfree

SO IS ANYONE USING JUST WOOD DOWL FOR THE STANDOFFS. I WAS TOLD TO USE 1 1/4 IN DIA DOWL. ANY ONE HAVE A BETTER IDEA?
Old 06-18-2008, 06:21 PM
aaxiss

wooden dowel is fine as long as it's a hardwood dowel. I have oak dowels on my 50 cc plane and have lot's of flights on it no Problem. I will be using the same dowel stock on my DL 100 .
Old 06-18-2008, 08:49 PM
2robinhood

ORIGINAL: Mitsu1

Robinhood, your baffling looks extremely close to mine, .. you must have used the ice bins I mentioned . What did you use to glue them in? I was told by a local guy to use Goop ... and that was the worst advice I've had in a long while. After getting them just like I wanted them, I glued them in .. then next day I tapped on it as a strength test ... and they both just fell right out! Now I have to start all over and re-paint them again before using some other adhesive. What did you use? By the way I made a top half and a bottom half and trimmed them to fit around the fins as you did.

I made mine from 1/4 Balsa and fiberglassed it in the cowl.
I had a top baffle made and it had a removable middle so that I could clear the prop shafts for putting the cowl on, but there was no way to make it work.
I may make a top baffle like the bottom one, slip it through the opening after the cowl is on and have a few bolts going into blind nuts hold it on.
I would hate to see bolt heads on the face of the cowl, but we'll see what I can do.
Maybe i'll just leave the bottom baffle only.
I want to try to get in the air on Saturday.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Doppelganger

2robinhood. Please tell me exactly what you used to fuel proof your Yak. Also where you bought it. That Yak of yours is beautiful. Will you be able to video your maiden? Just finished hinging mine. Hoe to fly it in a few weeks.

Steve
Old 06-18-2008, 11:46 PM
2robinhood

ORIGINAL: Doppelganger

2robinhood. Please tell me exactly what you used to fuel proof your Yak. Also where you bought it. That Yak of yours is beautiful. Will you be able to video your maiden? Just finished hinging mine. Hoe to fly it in a few weeks.

Steve

I used white epoxy spray paint. You can get it anywhere that sells paint.
Just don't go crazy, because you can ad weight easily.
I weighted the can when it was new and again after I was finished.
I did the engine box, inside of fuse, and as far as I could spray inside towards the tail.
When I was finished I had sprayed 7.5 oz of actual weight, but that may have ended up less as the paint dries and cures.
I think the weight gain is worth the fuel protection and the look is awsome.
I have only seen the epoxy paints in black, white, and almond.
I also use black on my other plane.
Yes I plan to video the maiden, if I get it finished for Saturday.
My real close wight is about 26 lbs 4 oz.
Thats with complete smoker system, smartfly, DL-100, two 24 oz. tanks, four batteries ( two 6V RX @ 2700mah, one 6V 1650mah smoke, one 4.8V 2500 mah ignition ), aluminum spinner, HS-5955TG's, HS-5645MG, etc, etc.
I think I could have been around 24 - 25 lbs without the smoke system.
BUT, you gotta have smoke............................................. ............
Old 06-19-2008, 02:32 AM
Doppelganger

26 lbs is the most I've seen. They have been coming in around 22 lbs. Should still fly great. But it seems it would be on the heavy side. However, that DL will drag that airframe around like a feather. What type of flying do you like? I'm still curious about performing IMAC sequences with this bird. I'm putting smoke in mine as well. Actually, this is a joint venture between my brother and I. He purchased the engine and servos, and I kiss his azz for a year. Should work out fine.

Steve
Old 06-20-2008, 07:09 AM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

I jusat got an email from Greatplanes support.

No landing gear available for this bird, only cowls and canopies, while they last.

Looks like I have to straighten my gear out , it is going to be ugly.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:35 AM
aaxiss

bosshoss you may want to try TnT landing gear products they make alot of different aluminum replacement gear for a number of different planes and may also be able to custom make some " if we don't have it we can make it"

[link=http://www.tntlandinggear.com]link to TnT store[/link]
Old 06-20-2008, 11:26 AM
matfree

what is the best way to set up the fuel lines. I have seen that some people are wraping the fuel tubing around the tank a couple times? is that needed and why. I also Large Scale Kwik-Fill Fueling Valve is this ok link it directly from the tank to the carb. Some guys have been pinching off the valve that would go to the carb. Is this because they dont trust the valve? Thank!

Old 06-20-2008, 11:42 AM
aaxiss

ok .. you can either set up a 2 line tank or a 3 line tank......

2 line tank as follows ..
1st line from tank with klunk on it to a tee, from there one side goes to engine and one to fuel dot. not sure about your kwic filler thing . if it has 2 lines going to it then you may not need a tee.

2nd line in a 2 line tank is vent line. tube just inside neck of tank to highest point in tank to vent overflow. vent line should exit though bottom of plane somewhere in front of the gear just behind the cowl. Wrap this line around fuel tank above fuel level to keep fuel from siphoning out if you tip plane forward and also on long downlines.

3 line tank..

1 st line from main klunk to engine
2nd line from secondary klunk or brass tubing to low spot in tank to facilitate fueling and defueling. this line to fuel dot.
3rd line is vent line same as above

hope this helps
Old 06-20-2008, 02:19 PM
matfree

tHANKS FOR THE FUEL LINE HELP. ALL MAKES SENCE NOW! DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW THE 24OZ TANK HAS BEEN WORKING OUT ON THE DL-100. I HAVE BOTH 32OZ AND 24OZ. WHAT SHOULD I USE?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.