Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Dietrich 50cc Extra 260 (New Build)

Old 03-01-2009, 01:34 PM
MaSt0RaS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dietrich 50cc Extra 260 (New Build)

i will build it with e friend of me that he has 2 50cc gassers one extra and one yak... extra is cmpro and yak is great plains... how do you compare it to them?

Also is it better to buy a 75 now that we have 2 50cc? what are the more money that i will pay to the 75 apart from the motor...!
Old 03-01-2009, 10:35 PM
kamirdawg
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think the Great Planes Yak is better than the CMPro Extra for overall quality, but either one should be good fliers. Given the choice of those and the Dietrich, I'd still go with the Dietrich.

If you will get gas experience with the 50cc planes you have, then go ahead and get the 75cc. I think that the only difference in the cost, that is besides the plane and the engine, might be the servos. I think you will need two in each wing for the ailerons, and I would put high torque servos all over the plane. 333 oz/in in all the tailfeathers.

Good luck.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:28 AM
flyer7007
My Feedback: (20)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey TwistedRickster
You have done an excellent building thread. I have just completed a Dietrich 260 and it is a great plane. I believe it may be built at the same factory that the world models uses. The stamping on the formers and part numbers are just like the ones on the world models stuff I have built 2 of there 160 sizes extras at 82” so they do make large planes. Well anyway Just a tip, I was turned on to a very good servo in another forum It’s a Power HD-9150, TBM sells them for 36.99 each and there 220 in ounces of tork at 6v, and the are very good servos. The only problem with them is they are about a ¼ inch deeper than the Hitec’s and I had to shim them so they would recess into the stabs, they were fine in the wings and I used a Hitec 7955TG at 333in oz. TBM; Troy Built Models has them for $80.00. And thank you for the link for the graphics’ they look great. ……. OH I almost forgot have you or anyone had any trouble with your stabs hitting your pull-pull linkage on high rates, mine do. And it’s going to be a pain to fix. Not a great design there.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:25 AM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What engine are you useing? and what size stand offs. I bought mine used and it has a DL 50 in it, but with the old style engine mount.
Ive got Hitec 5945s in mine with a Hitec 7955 on Rudder. What CG do you have yours at.
This will be its 1st year this year for flying it.
NEDYOB
Old 03-15-2009, 01:24 AM
flyer7007
My Feedback: (20)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

nedyob
Im using an RCGF-62 5.5 HP with 1 3/4 inch standoffs, I don't use the ones sold by the manufacturers though. I go to the hardwaer store and buy the 1/2 inch by what ever lenth I need nylon-plastic spacers man are they strong, and they will only cost you about $5.00. As far
as the CG I havn't done mine yet I just finnished it and i'm in upstate NY and theres still snow on the ground, but im sure others in here can help you with that. I would think a DL 50 should pull it fine, its a very light plane for a 29% airframe. if you dont know what the CG should be just call kevin Deitrich and they will tell you. hope this helped
Old 03-15-2009, 01:09 PM
rager24
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just got mine done
DL 50 with can sys
4 7985 1 7955
Got to fly it yesterday for the first time
Boy it is a sweet plane
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30601.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	1158251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60203.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	1158252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88261.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	1158253  
Old 03-21-2009, 12:58 AM
cory_lee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just finished my Dietrich Extra 260 and I love it! Great Quality!
I will fly it in the morning and let ya know. Hopefully I will have a video to post too!

It only took me three nights to get it ready to fly. So much stuff was already done. Very nice!
Mine is under 17lbs ready to go. Nice!
Old 03-25-2009, 01:24 AM
cory_lee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Okie Dokie! Here is the maiden flight video. I wanted to take more vids but my borrowed camera guy had other things to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeEZUPIWhH8

Dont get too excited it was the first flight. I wanted to hammer down on it cause it flew so good. I only had one issue that was minor. The left wheel pants screws came loose cause I didnt use enough Loctite. Added some more and problem solved.

I did fly it 4 more times and I must say I am impressed! It will do a Wall no problem! No wing rock on the Harriers. Lands like a champ 3 pointers all day. Stalls just mush with no wing drop!
The DL will hover at a lil over half throttle. Lots of reserve to climb out vertical from a hover.
Knife Edge did take a lil mor rudder and speed that I expected but that should get better as I ove the cg back. It will knife edge loop no problem at the recomended balance point.
It also wants to tuck to the gear in knife edge, but that I will mix out.
It will hover and has plenty of aileron to keep it stopped.

I will try to post up more vids soon of some 3D down low. I just want to run that engine more to make sure its good before I do.

Thanks for watching
Old 04-09-2009, 09:08 PM
nedyob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Speaking of Ditetrich Extra's
Did any over you guys watch the Price is Right Gam Show on NBC on April 9th, well you know when the contestants bid on a price to go on stage. Well to my surpirze there was a Dietrich Extra 260 that came up for bids and after all the people over bid, a older lady won the bid for $500.00 and then up on stage she went with Drew Cary, she then must have wispered in Drews ear if she could have another prize, and Drew then told her that she could have a grandfather clock instead of the "Remote Control toy Airplane" as Drew Carey called it. Well after uddering a few choice words at the lady on TV for not taking the plane and wanting a stupid clock. The RC gods finally paid her back and the lady ended up loosing the next show case witch was a car,and again missed a chance at the big show case when she had her turn at the big wheel. I think there were a few people in the audiance that would have loved to take the planes off her hands but no she wanted a grandfather clock.
I even the the plane was equipted with a gas engine, but couldnt tell for sure, it did have a spinner and a prop on the front, but no pilot in the cock pit.
NEDYOB
Old 04-14-2009, 05:20 PM
flyin hy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is the link to that episode. Scroll to 21 minutes into the show. http://www.cbs.com/daytime/the_price...play=true&cc=0
Old 04-14-2009, 06:11 PM
nedyob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thats the one!
NEDYOB
Old 08-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Dietrich 260 is a really nice flying plane, I have a lot of fun with mine and would buy another in a heartbeat.

"..have you or anyone had any trouble with your stabs hitting your pull-pull linkage on high rates, mine do."

Wow.. not sure what to say about that. Have not had that problem, and am not aware of other Dietrich owners that have had that issue. Are you sure you don't have TOO much?
Old 08-06-2009, 06:25 PM
n57tc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Radical,

I agree with you that it is areally great flying plane.

I did have problems with the elevators hitting the rudder when both were at full deflection. In fact I have holes in the elevators from the pull pull control horn on the rudder.

I have included a couple pictures to show the problem.

The solution was simple, all I had to do was reduce the throws to keep them from interfering with each other. The reduction did not affect the airplanes handling but I am not a 3d pilot just a wannabe 3d er.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57070.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1251368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85061.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	1251369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43781.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	1251370  
Old 01-22-2011, 07:11 PM
aaronakabeans
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I saw The Price is Right episode when they aired that prize and if i was on the show i would have had the exact bid! $595. My jaw dropped when i saw it. i've allways been a big fan of p.i.r. but that made me love it a thousand times more. did you catch the cheap false radio they advertised it with? Hilarious! not to mention that for that price there's no engine.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:40 AM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow.. a large RC plane on P.I.R? Would have never guessed they would have such a prize. And a Dietrich at that! Cool... I've put mine in storage for a while. Have around couple hundred flights on it, and wanted to use some of the gear in another bird.. been bitten by the Cub bug.. building a BUSA 1/3 Super Cub and just finishing up a World Models 1/3rd Paulistinha. Trying to fly 3D all the time was fun and challenging, but ready for something a bit more sedate.