Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

AirWild 40% Sukhoi SU29 ... all you need to know

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

AirWild 40% Sukhoi SU29 ... all you need to know

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 12:00 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: AirWild 40% Sukhoi SU29 ... all you need to know

It looks nice, I heard they fly well but I haven't seen one fly in person before.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:04 PM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got 3 more flights on the Su29 this morning... around 7:00 am.... not yet hot!!

I did 2 flights with the VESS32C and one flight with the Biela 3D Prop.....

The VESS is a better prop in my opinion... not as grabby in hover... but better acceleration and top speed pulling out of hover....

The Su29 is a nice flying plane... I moved the batts behind the canopy and added 3 oz to the tail wheel... it is still nose heavy.... I think I will move the Rudder Servo tray aft one bay in the fuse and shorten the cables....

Clearly this plane is heavier then the Super Extra
But it does not fly heavy on the wing. So far.. the WWW170 is running good!!!

Upright Harriers still wing waggle a little bit... moving the CG aft definitely helped! inverted harriers are steady... and it is easy to TR.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:32 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

What do you think of the quality?
Old 07-18-2009, 09:39 PM
mithrandir

ORIGINAL: camss69

What do you think of the quality?
The structural quality seems pretty good. One peculiarity is that one wing is tight on the wing tube and the other is kinda normal.... I have had the plane about 6 weeks, and when I got it, the temps were cooler and the covering was in OK shape... it is wrinkled pretty badly now... the temps have gotten quite hot in the past week'r'so.... My few biggest complaints so far are that for a plane this size, the access to the inside of the engine box is impossible once the tank is installed.... the whole internal arrangement is a bit awkward... there are no real structures to attach things to... you must add things like a battery tray for example.... once the plane is setup, this doesn't make any difference, but it is a bit of a PITA until it is fully assembled.....
Also... there are a lot of screws in the cowl assembly... to take off the top part is only a few screws, but to remove the lower cowl... there is like another 12 screws!!.....
I would prefer more then one fastener holding each wing against the fuse..... sorta like the Compy... which has two per wing.. this plane is one per wing.... yet the stabs are two per half!! lol
I am a bit s'prised at how much yaw coupling the plane has.... like I mentioned before... not horrible, but compared to the other recent round-cowl ARF's, it seems like more... not unmanageable... with a little mix, it is easily compensated....
As you can guess, my issues with the plane are not huge or terrible things.. (LIke wings that fold up in a loop as other ARF's have experianced).... the "Issues" are really not a big deal at all....

Of particular note, for things like stall-turns, the rudder is very lively and will pivot the plane almost around the canopy for the stall turn, it does nice steady and smooth flat spins too.....

I think this will be a fun plane for me.... it isn't for sale!!! lol
Old 08-17-2009, 02:17 PM
mithrandir

21 flight report.........

OK....well.... I dunno the weight... but the WWW170 with stock muffs is plenty of power. The FASST system is working beautifully and I am using 4300 LiPo's with Duralite Regs... all working great!!!

the plane has more Yaw-Pitch coupling then I would expect.

At the extreme rudder deflections, there is a bit of adverse roll... ie... full rudder causes a roll in the opposite direction..... but only at very high betas.... it will occasionally get into a very low frequency wing waggle in upright and inverted harriers... like one wag per 2 seconds..... and in a very aggressive blow-over, if you go all the way around to fuse level, you gotta be handy with the left rudder or it will tend to go into a flatspin on its own....

those are the bad habits... none of these are horrible or total show stoppers..but you gotta be aware of these and keep'em in mind while you fly. I have implemented a RUDDER-AIL mix that is not linear... but sort of like an EXPO curve... very little compensation mixing during moderate rudder inputs, but like 15% opposite aileron at full (45 degrees) rudder.

The plane slows down nicely for landings and it rolls well at all speeds and Alpha/Betas.....

The rudder is powerfull enuff to really get some deep deep harrier rolls without digging in or drying out....

the first 10 flights... I didn't care for the plane..... but I have 21 flights now... and I have burned into it and I am having fun with it now....

It is good for ruff fields as there are no wheel pants to get torn up!!! lol

Maybe this next weekend, I try to get some video put t'gether???
Old 08-18-2009, 07:28 PM
mithrandir

a buddy of mine got a few snaps from last weekend.....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48197.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	760.2 KB
ID:	1258865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95123.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	677.0 KB
ID:	1258866  
Old 08-29-2009, 09:20 PM
mithrandir

OK... finally put a little video t'gether....
Le'me know if it works OK

http://www.giantcircus.com/Videos/FA...9-Duralite.wmv
Old 09-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Ruddermayhemcom
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes,,,it freakn' rocks dude!
Old 09-12-2009, 09:35 PM
mithrandir

I think they are blowing these planes out for like $999.00 right now....
Old 09-14-2009, 05:47 PM
Flexnbeef
My Feedback: (9)

Why does everyone have to ruin great flying video's by putting crappy music over the engine sounds[:@]. I wanted to watch that video over and over again but I couldn't take the audio track [:'(]
Old 09-20-2009, 12:54 AM
mithrandir

ORIGINAL: Flexnbeef

Why does everyone have to ruin great flying video's by putting crappy music over the engine sounds[:@]. I wanted to watch that video over and over again but I couldn't take the audio track [:'(]

I hate that too... that is why I don't use crappy music.....

and I never totally cover the sound of the engine
Old 10-26-2009, 01:06 AM
mithrandir

I would suggest owners of this plane dribble some 'poxy'n'micro around the main gear plate!!

:O
Old 11-10-2009, 12:12 AM
mithrandir

RIP

the SINGLE bolt that prevents the wing from sliding off vibrated out and the right wing came off my plane last saturday....

near total destruction and damage to the WWW170 engine.

IMHO, this is a design flaw in the model. I can't think of another 40% plane that has only one bolt.
I kick myself also 'cuz I have been meaning to add another bolt or another secondary means of preventing the wing from sliding off if the main bolt came out.

I urge EVERY ONE WITH THIS MODEL TO ADD A SECONDARY MEANS OF HOLDING THE WING ON.

THE DESIGNERS OF THIS MODEL MADE A STUPID CHOICE TO HAVE ONLY ONE BOLT, AND i MADE A STUPID CHOICE TO NOT IMMEDIATELY REMEDY THEIR MISTAKE.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:07 PM
FLY54

ORIGINAL: mithrandir

RIP

the SINGLE bolt that prevents the wing from sliding off vibrated out and the right wing came off my plane last saturday....

near total destruction and damage to the WWW170 engine.

IMHO, this is a design flaw in the model. I can't think of another 40% plane that has only one bolt.
I kick myself also 'cuz I have been meaning to add another bolt or another secondary means of preventing the wing from sliding off if the main bolt came out.

I urge EVERY ONE WITH THIS MODEL TO ADD A SECONDARY MEANS OF HOLDING THE WING ON.

THE DESIGNERS OF THIS MODEL MADE A STUPID CHOICE TO HAVE ONLY ONE BOLT, AND i MADE A STUPID CHOICE TO NOT IMMEDIATELY REMEDY THEIR MISTAKE.
WOW.... I was getting ready to buy one of these models until I read the last post. I guess the wing bolt issue has not been resolved since last post of 9 months ago.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:17 AM
Magne

It is VERY easy to add a locking pin or some other means of preventing a bolt from vibrating loose.

Magne