Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Setting up 1/3 scale with Hitec Servo programmer problems

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Setting up 1/3 scale with Hitec Servo programmer problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 02:23 PM
onemorecast
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting up 1/3 scale with Hitec Servo programmer problems

I bought a used, but nice shape Hangar 9 1/3 scale Extra 300L, purple and white. Great airplane. I've put in Hitec 5955 all the way around; two for rudder, two for elevator, etc.

I borrowed a Hitec Digital Servo programmer, with the instructions. Obviously, I'm missing doing something as i set each servo center, and the end points to get it close. When I then plug into the receiver, the center point on one side will move off center.

I've watched the instruction videos on down on the deck site, and watched them again, and there is obviously a step that I am missing, as the center will move several degrees. I know there is lot of RC'ers out there with set up experience. If I can get by this one little problem, I should have it made. I just can't see what I am doing wrong? I've tried over and over. Same result.

This is my first "big" plane and I'm still excited about it.

Thanks much for any responses.

Brian G., Minnesota
Old 04-04-2008, 03:20 PM
CaptDave2
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Setting up 1/3 scale with Hitec Servo programmer problems

Hey Brian,

Did you start with a clean model slot on your TX memory? I set my end points at 140% out of 150% on a DX7 for Ail, Ele, Rud to give near max resolution, before programming servos. Verify trims and subtrims are at defaults. Do not use a Y harness when programming, just one servo at a time.

Also, each time you set neutral point with the HFP-10, you must reset each endpoint. The HFP-10 travel values are NOT related to travel % for Tx settings. To get equal travel up and down, you may have values like +167 and -207, for example on an aileron.

In another post in DOTD, Joe Hunt mentions that his video has a misnomer; the RX and Servo are not used together with HFP-10 when setting mid or endpoints.

I agree the HFP-10 instructions are not written in a practical, or easily used style. My learning curve with it was slow. I also taped a paper protractor on the inside hinge line and one under the servo arm for reference. Also use a good caliper to measure precise travel of control surface and servo arm.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:50 PM
onemorecast
My Feedback: (8)

Thanks CaptDave2:

My radio that I bought is the JR9303 with the 2.4 module and has the original program in it for the 300L. I got the radio and plane from the same guy. He gutted it so I'm redoing it and putting in engine, (G-62), and servos, receiver, (AR900),etc., and figured I could do it, but I'm stuck.

The guy I bought the plane/radio is pretty sharp and if nothing else, I'll run everything up to his house sometime and work on it. Maybe to clean and start with a clean model would be good. I don't know. I didn't think it would be that difficult.

Thanks again!

Brian G., Minnesota
Old 04-05-2008, 12:43 AM
3DAP

Like mentioned before once you center you have to re adjust end points. Once I did one elevator I could not figure out why other servo did not take same NO. like 134 and -130 on each servo. Once I started measuring with calipers the throws, I then figured out they will not be the same. Once I did it about 13 times I got it perfected. And now I really like the way set up comes out perfectly matched. I also reset every servo first. I dont know if this is mandatory but it was rec to me and it has worked good so far! You can also test your set centers and end points automatically or manually. It is a great way to know where you stand. Just My Exp.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:53 AM
JoeNolasco

It is normal for the servo center to be different when you go from the programmer to the radio!

All the different radio brands have different calibrations and stuff...

One radio adjustment you want to do on all channels is MAX all EPA's as high as they will go and center all trims and subtrims before attempting to program your servos.

It is also a great idea to "reset" all servos when you first plug them in as this also updates the servos firmware.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

If you program them with the linkage attached they will come out wrong...the extra weight messes with the setting up of neutral and end points.
I setup one with 4 servos in wing, one wasnt right so I programmed it in place, after 10 goes could not get it to match radio or the other servos...
Took off linkage on it and programmed again, matched perfectly, teach me to be lazy