Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

H9/Carden Yak 54

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 10:39 AM
oregonrc
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: H9/Carden Yak 54

To play devil's advocate, I've had nothing but good luck with the auto choke feature on my 45GX2. It's not just for starting. When the idle gets really low, the choke servo will feather attempting to keep the engine running. I think that's one of the big benefits of the Evolution engines.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:54 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: wingburner

ORIGINAL: P-51B

Well, it says BME 54 on it, but who knows, the BME 55 was announced for delivery....how many years ago.....

It says EVO 54 on it

I have one on it's way from Spain as we speak [)]

Have my name on the Yak list also

Hey! So it does! [X(]

That killed that rumor fast!!
Old 05-12-2008, 09:03 PM
MikeAndersonCA

ORIGINAL: DLEVETT Well I just bought a MVVS/Evolution 58GX for this baby.
Me too. Plus I have the canister which is about 3" longer than the one spec'd for the DA50. We'll have to compare notes on builds & flights when we get the plane, eh?
Old 05-12-2008, 09:18 PM
DLEVETT
My Feedback: (13)

Sounds good Mike, I hope to have lots of pics and info to share in a couple of weeks. As for the auto choke feature I,ve heard a number of differing opinions about this feature. Some good and some bad.
I may forgo the option to begin with and just go with a manual choke as used successfully by a number of guys locally on DA50,s
I,m also planning on calling DA to see if they are stocking K&S return to center headers for the Evolution engines, if not I may be forced to contact K&S directly in order to run my MTW 75 can.
My second option and probably the one I,ll start with is a Evolution brand pitts muffler just cause its quick and simple.
Raptorflyer: What prop and exhaust are you running on your SD Yak? Also do you have any RPM info on your setup?

thx
Dave
Old 05-12-2008, 09:19 PM
oregonrc
My Feedback: (32)

For those that are using the 58GX2 and a canister muffler, what header are you planning on using?
Old 05-12-2008, 09:20 PM
MikeAndersonCA

ORIGINAL: DLEVETT Well I just bought a MVVS/Evolution 58GX for this baby.
Now I just need to find a return to center header for this engine.
Once I get the plane in hand I intend to order a Swan-Neck header from mvvs.nl
Scroll down this page to see what's available: http://mvvs.nl/MVVS/main_bestanden/mufflers.html

I'll order the velocity stack too just for the sheer bling of it!
Old 05-12-2008, 09:30 PM
DLEVETT

Thanks a lot Mike great link with lots of info. I see you,ve already done your homework on getting your 58GX going Good Job!
When the time comes to order the header for this airframe, pm me and we could arrange to split the shipping costs from Europe.

Dave

p.s. I,m with you on the velocity stack it looks good.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:50 PM
MikeAndersonCA

ORIGINAL: DLEVETT I see you,ve already done your homework on getting your 58GX going
I also calculated that the Evolution 38mm standoffs will position the prop at the same location as the DA50 recommended in the manual. I did this by examining manufacturer's drawings, so I've taken a bit of a chance that I'm wrong, but I'm probably safe.

FYI: Other stuff I have on hand now ready for installation:

Prop/ Spinner: Evolution 24x10 prop to start with. (Wondering how big a prop I could fit and still have ground clearance) No spinner to start with.

Servos: Hitec 5955TG for all flight surfaces & 5625 for throttle & 5425 for choke. Bought a Hitec servo programmer too.

Rx: Hitec Fusion 9 on a Smart Fly Power System Sport Plus w/ optical ignition cut-off, powered by 2 Flight Power 2S 2100mAh LiPo, switched by SmartFly pin & flag switch.

Wing Bags: Still shopping. Probably smartest to wait for the plane to arrive.

Planned mods: I plan to make a fibreglass Yak-like front louvre plate with a shaped air passage around the engine cylinder to maximise cooling. It's a bit disappointing the H9 doesn't seem to have this. But then it's just barely "scale-like" isn't it? (Louvre-less cowl?)

Old 05-13-2008, 11:11 AM
wingburner
My Feedback: (17)

Dave the EVO was a little pricey was it

Good call on the MVVS..It'll be a great engine for this plane

I see you picked up a 45 for your EX.FL.That'll be insane

No word on where the EVO is..Hopefully crossing the water[8D]
Old 05-13-2008, 11:43 AM
raptorflyr
My Feedback: (20)

Hello,

I'm running an Evolution 24x10 on my evolution 58. It has a pitts muffler sold by Horizon Hobby, I think it was either a Brison or BME (silver in color), but can't remember the manufacturer for sure. I originally purchased the Evolution pipe setup, but wound up sending it back because the header that came with it wouldn't work with my setup. My buddy with the same setup bought the evolution pitts and it has failed a couple of times on him. The one I have seems to old up better.

I've never tached the setup. I won't be flying again for a few weeks due to a family vacation... Once I do get back to the field, I'll gladly tach the setup for you.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:40 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

I just saw that Horizon announced the new models of Evolution engines. There is new 50cc that they claim is more powerful than anything in its class. They show it capable of swinging a 24x10 (they show the 45cc capable of swinging the same prop?).

I will just wait to see it to believe this claim. They probably were using a pipe...

They also have it listed for $649, which is less than attractive for this engine size...

Specs
Type:2-Stroke Gasoline Engine
Displacement:3.0 cu in (50cc)
Bore:1.57 in (40 mm)
Stroke:1.50 cu in (38 mm)
Cylinders:Single Cylinder
Engine (Only) Weight:1530 g (53.0 oz)
Crankshaft Threads:M10 x 1mm
Prop Range:22 x 10 to 24 x 10
Fuel:Gasoline w/oil mix 40:1
Mounting Dimensions:181 x 71 x 122 mm
Cylinder Type:Ring
Carb Type:Walbro 2 Needle
Crank Type:Ball Bearing
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38559.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	948649  
Old 05-13-2008, 05:04 PM
MikeAndersonCA

My LHS proprietor told me today that Horizon is reporting a May 21 arrival at the Champaign IL warehouse. Tic Toc . . Tic Toc.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:46 PM
DLEVETT

ORIGINAL: MikeAndersonCA

ORIGINAL: DLEVETT I see you,ve already done your homework on getting your 58GX going
I also calculated that the Evolution 38mm standoffs will position the prop at the same location as the DA50 recommended in the manual. I did this by examining manufacturer's drawings, so I've taken a bit of a chance that I'm wrong, but I'm probably safe.

FYI: Other stuff I have on hand now ready for installation:

Prop/ Spinner: Evolution 24x10 prop to start with. (Wondering how big a prop I could fit and still have ground clearance) No spinner to start with.

Servos: Hitec 5955TG for all flight surfaces & 5625 for throttle & 5425 for choke. Bought a Hitec servo programmer too.

Rx: Hitec Fusion 9 on a Smart Fly Power System Sport Plus w/ optical ignition cut-off, powered by 2 Flight Power 2S 2100mAh LiPo, switched by SmartFly pin & flag switch.

Wing Bags: Still shopping. Probably smartest to wait for the plane to arrive.

Planned mods: I plan to make a fibreglass Yak-like front louvre plate with a shaped air passage around the engine cylinder to maximise cooling. It's a bit disappointing the H9 doesn't seem to have this. But then it's just barely "scale-like" isn't it? (Louvre-less cowl?)

Hey Mike, You sure have everything planned out. Mine will be outfitted in a similar fashion ie: engine ,servos.
I,m going JR 2.4 and hope to get a set of wing/stab/rudder bags from Carden apparently they are making a set of covers specifically for this plane.
I recieved my MVVS 58GX tonight, all I have to say is what an engine!
I,m going to get a Mejzlik 24x10 prop for it and a 4" Petes models carbon spinner.
I like the idea of a louvre plate, my EF Yak has one made from thin plastic so fabricating one for the H9/Carden Yak should be pretty easy once I,ve got the cowl to make measurements with.
One of the design elements that I have always liked about Carden planes is the style that they have, its not always as scale as some others EF being one of them, but they just look right to me.
Hopefully the info you got from your LHS is accurate, with delivery taking place about 1-2 weeks from now.

Dave

Name:	Mk26566.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	949579  
Old 05-14-2008, 09:55 PM
DLEVETT

ORIGINAL: wingburner

Dave the EVO was a little pricey was it

Good call on the MVVS..It'll be a great engine for this plane

I see you picked up a 45 for your EX.FL.That'll be insane

No word on where the EVO is..Hopefully crossing the water[8D]
Hey Jack, Yeah that Evo 54 is extremely nice but the 58GX fits this ariframes requirements and was available locally.
The MVVS 58 was a good deal and it helped out another fella that I,ve dealt with before as he was looking to sell it along with the 45MG to fund a project.
As for the 45MG in the 74" EF Yak, I,m hoping that if I can keep the AUW below 12.5lbs I,ll use it if not I,ll get a OS FS200 for it just as you have.
Do share some pics when that Evo shows up.

Dave
Old 05-14-2008, 10:01 PM
DLEVETT

ORIGINAL: yarom

I just saw that Horizon announced the new models of Evolution engines. There is new 50cc that they claim is more powerful than anything in its class. They show it capable of swinging a 24x10 (they show the 45cc capable of swinging the same prop?).

I will just wait to see it to believe this claim. They probably were using a pipe...

They also have it listed for $649, which is less than attractive for this engine size...

Specs
Type:2-Stroke Gasoline Engine
Displacement:3.0 cu in (50cc)
Bore:1.57 in (40 mm)
Stroke:1.50 cu in (38 mm)
Cylinders:Single Cylinder
Engine (Only) Weight:1530 g (53.0 oz)
Crankshaft Threads:M10 x 1mm
Prop Range:22 x 10 to 24 x 10
Fuel:Gasoline w/oil mix 40:1
Mounting Dimensions:181 x 71 x 122 mm
Cylinder Type:Ring
Carb Type:Walbro 2 Needle
Crank Type:Ball Bearing
Hi Yarom, I saw one of these engines at Toledo.
It is very nice but as you mentioned its another $50 more than one of its direct competitors. I guess we,ll see if it performs as well as they claim. If so it may be worth the extra $50.
I would bet though that it will need a cannister system at minimum to perform at its best, it seems that the MVVS/Evolution engines are tuned for maximun performance for that type of free breathing
exhaust.
Raptorflyer,
I,d love to see some rpm info next time your out flying. All of the research I,ve done thus far on this powerplant has indicated a cannister system is required for optimal power.
I,d really like to see if the pitts option is producing good power. By all accounts it should do so and makes for a quicker setup up until I can get the appropriate parts ordered from K&S. I,d hate to get the plane and have it sit just because I didn,t have a header for it.

thx
Dave

Old 05-22-2008, 02:31 PM
DLEVETT

Heres a pic of a couple of Yaks at Joe Nall. They sure do look good sitting there together. Well May 21st has come and gone, By all accounts they should be here in the next 1-2 weeks.
I just placed an order with Troybuilt for servo arms, MTW75K canister, 4" Petes carbon spinner [ I hope it fits ] plus a couple of SmartFly optical kill switches, I never used them before but they come highly rated by those that have them.
I can,t wait!

Dave

Name:	Xv63518.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	954732  
Old 05-22-2008, 09:01 PM
MikeAndersonCA

Well May 21st has come and gone, By all accounts they should be here in the next 1-2 weeks.
Uhhhh . . [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HAN4650]check that delivery date[/link] again. (Mid June to Champaign IL now) [&o]
Old 05-25-2008, 03:17 PM
DLEVETT

Hey Mike, Its been changed yet again to early June. My LHS called Horizon to inquire and were told that the first shipment will be delivered by mid June with a great degree of certainty.
I,ve waited this long another 2-3 weeks will hurt but it won,t kill me,also remember that good things come to those that wait I think.
Besides I,ve turned my attention to a couple of other projects in the meantime.

Dave

Name:	Ca80426.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	956427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85177.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	956428  
Old 05-25-2008, 03:37 PM
yarom

Funny, I just completed the exact same two projects - assuming your Yak is the 88 one.

If you have never flown this plane, you are about to find you just hit the lackpot...
Old 05-26-2008, 07:09 PM
DLEVETT

Yarom,
The EF Yak in the pic is the 74" version with a MVVS 45MG mounted on the nose. Its an experiment in a crazy overpowered airframe. Depending on what it weighs I may just swap the MVVS out for a large glow engine, We.ll see.
Well I just came from the LHS.
I walked in and the owner told me that he had just recieved confirmation that his order for JR 12X radios had been sent to him.
So that means that the JR radios that are listed on the Horizon site as early June are now being shipped.
No news on the Yak but I,m hopeful that the same situation will hold true with them.
I have another question for anybody that knows, have the JR 922 recievers been available yet? I,m headed to a different Hobby shop tomorrow and am hoping that they have some in stock.
I,m in need of another 2.4 receiver and would like to go with either a Spektrum AR9100 or a JR922 for the AW Extra 260.

Dave
Old 05-26-2008, 09:58 PM
MikeAndersonCA

Is that Aerotrend tubing I see in the engine pic? If so what experience do you have with it? Just curious - I ordered some in too.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:05 PM
DLEVETT

ORIGINAL: MikeAndersonCA

Is that Aerotrend tubing I see in the engine pic? If so what experience do you have with it? Just curious - I ordered some in too.
Are you referring to the tubing attached to the carb? If so it came stock with the engine. I have used Aerptrend tubing in the past [ I,ve still got some lying around ] and found it to be of very good quailty.
I read on another forum that a key date is June 5th, so thats just 8 days away.
Dave
Old 05-30-2008, 10:09 AM
DLEVETT

I can.t believe it!
Horizon has delayed the expected delivery date of the Yak until late June.
At this point I,m thinking that having one ready to fly by Labour Day weekend is whats going to happen.
That slow boat from China sure is moving slowly.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:55 PM
yarom

Just get yourself the EF Yak 88 and it will be as god or better...

ORIGINAL: DLEVETT

Yarom,
The EF Yak in the pic is the 74" version with a MVVS 45MG mounted on the nose. Its an experiment in a crazy overpowered airframe. Depending on what it weighs I may just swap the MVVS out for a large glow engine, We.ll see.
Well I just came from the LHS.
I walked in and the owner told me that he had just recieved confirmation that his order for JR 12X radios had been sent to him.
So that means that the JR radios that are listed on the Horizon site as early June are now being shipped.
No news on the Yak but I,m hopeful that the same situation will hold true with them.
I have another question for anybody that knows, have the JR 922 recievers been available yet? I,m headed to a different Hobby shop tomorrow and am hoping that they have some in stock.
I,m in need of another 2.4 receiver and would like to go with either a Spektrum AR9100 or a JR922 for the AW Extra 260.

Dave
Old 05-30-2008, 07:11 PM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DLEVETT

I can.t believe it!
Horizon has delayed the expected delivery date of the Yak until late June.
At this point I,m thinking that having one ready to fly by Labour Day weekend is whats going to happen.
That slow boat from China sure is moving slowly.
That's it....I've waited long enough...I'm ordering an EF Yak on Monday....

Kevin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.