Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

H9/Carden Yak 54

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 05:53 PM
MikeAndersonCA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: H9/Carden Yak 54

Mine should be here in Ottawa this Thursday. . . . . There seems to be some variation in the fit & finish quality being reported. (Can't ignore the reporter effect - some people have very high expectations) I hope mine's on the higher end of the quality scale.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:21 PM
DLEVETT
My Feedback: (13)

I,m with you on that one Mike, I too hope that its of the same quality as my Aeroworks Extra. Thanks for doing the footwork on the headers. That pic you posted of the MVVS 45 header shows a very high quality product. What can are you going to run? I,ve got a MTW 75K waiting.

Dave
Old 06-23-2008, 07:23 PM
MikeAndersonCA

ORIGINAL: DLEVETT What can are you going to run? I,ve got a MTW 75K waiting.
I have the Evoloution can (MVVS 3204). It's 3" dia and rather long so I suspect I have to do some fuselage mods.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:48 PM
DLEVETT

Ok thanks I guess I,m going to have to specify that the header I,ll need will not require the flange at the distal end.
thx
Dave
Old 06-23-2008, 11:06 PM
oregonrc
My Feedback: (32)

After closer inspection, this ARF could have used a little better quality control. I'm nitpicking some of this. First, the flame job on top of the cowl is terrible at best. I'm sending mine back to Horizon for a replacement. The purple paint on the cowl is much lighter than the covering on the fuse. It's not terrible, but I'd expect better from a $700 ARF. Some of the glue joints are weak. Something to be expected from an ARF, but... The covering is typical Hangar 9. Good, but plenty of wrinkles. One of the ailerons has a purple "smear" on the white where it looks like the iron ran over. There's a lot of "smudge" under the clear Ultracote where the factory sealed the gaps. It certainly could've been cleaned better. Most of my concerns could of been handled by better quality control at Hangar-9/ Horizon Hobby. Small gripes, I know. The hardware is very good and complete. Everything fits together very well. It looks like it will be an excelent flier. We'll see in the next week or so. I don't imagine it will take very long to assemble this one.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:36 AM
JUGFLIER

Oregon, Got mine Friday, noticed the same problems as you. The flames on the cowl look as though part of the paint came of with the masking tape, the blue on the cowl is definitely a different shade. The covering is not ironed down well at all. Had quite a few glue joints loose in the fuse.

Over all, i like the looks of the plane. Not quite the quality of an Aero Works, but this is a big plane, almost a 75 cc size. It has a pretty good thick cord on the wing. We plan to try to have it ready to fly by the Chattanooga 3-d jam.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:51 AM
oregonrc

I can't say I'm dissapointed in the ARF, I just expected more. Hopefully, HH will be willing to send out a new cowl. I may have a friend repaint the cowl. I never liked the flames in the first place. Another small issue I had was one of the aileron strings used to run the leads was missing. No big deal. It's definately bigger than I thought it would be. I'm glad I went with the 58GX2 instead of the DA50. We fly at 3600ft and I think the DA would be a little anoemic at this altitude. I should have it ready to go by the end of the week. I'll post some flight reports. I look forward to seeing other flight reports, as well.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:17 PM
oregonrc

I just spoke with Horizon. They're replacing my cowl at no charge. I've always been impressed with Horizon's customer service and they certainly did not disappoint. Looking forward to flying this one.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:29 PM
RCXPLANES
My Feedback: (1)

Anyone get one of these in the air yet? Reports?
Old 06-26-2008, 12:34 PM
oregonrc

Maybe this weekend...hopefully.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:47 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have an all-up weight?
Old 06-26-2008, 01:57 PM
RCXPLANES
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: oregonrc

Maybe this weekend...hopefully.
Good Luck fellow Oregonian
Old 06-26-2008, 02:41 PM
JoeAirPort

Also what is the true measured wing span?

Thanks
Old 06-26-2008, 03:00 PM
mtwister

As mentioned on another site, I am/was building one of these for a close buddy of mine. After severe disappointment with the plane we received, it was decided to return the plane to HH for a refund. The plane could have obviously been built and flown as is, but for $700 we felt it was a waste of money. He had another competitors Yak sent to me, and I will say it's probably by far the best quality ever seen in an arf. I am truly hoping the next batch of H9 Yaks will be far superior to the one we received, as I look forward to building and flying one.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:30 PM
wingburner
My Feedback: (17)

Wow []...All these bad reports.I was afraid of this as their 35% Extra and the 33% Sukhoi have not been anything to write home about either.

I still have time to cancel and will do so.

I hope Dennis and Caroline can have some input on the QC problems.

I'd rather pay twice the money and have a real good ARF as to have the issues that arise with some of these planes.

I have many Carden planes built from kits and they don't come any better than that.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:37 PM
oregonrc

Before you cancel your order, keep in mind that many of our complaints are very minor. My biggest gripe was with the cowl. Horizon is replacing it, though. Everything else is very minor and to be expected from an ARF. At least one built by Hangar-9. Just my $.02
Old 06-26-2008, 08:35 PM
MikeAndersonCA

Here's an alternate point of view for your consideration:

I see zero to whine about. The cowling finish is excellent. The only wrinkles I see are at the join line between fin & fuse. Ya, there is some teeny bubbles visible under the purple checker squares, but stand back 5 feet and they are invisible. There is one fuselage cross-brace on the top, under the hatch, that is loose, but's it's so easy to re-glue it isn't worth the typing.

When I went to pick it up the usual crowd was gathered round co-salivating all over the boxes. It's gonna be a real beauty!
Old 06-26-2008, 09:14 PM
DLEVETT

ORIGINAL: wingburner

Wow []...All these bad reports.I was afraid of this as their 35% Extra and the 33% Sukhoi have not been anything to write home about either.

I still have time to cancel and will do so.

I hope Dennis and Caroline can have some input on the QC problems.

I'd rather pay twice the money and have a real good ARF as to have the issues that arise with some of these planes.

I have many Carden planes built from kits and they don't come any better than that.
Yeah WB don,t cancel yet.
On the other site, its working out that more and more guys are stating that they aren,t having any quaility issues of significance to report.
I,ll have mine tomorrow night as this afternoon I wasn,t able to get to the LHS before it closed.
Lets see some pics from the guys that have them already.

Dave
Old 06-27-2008, 03:22 AM
oregonrc

I've got mine just about finished. Overall, I'm very pleased with it. I did find one more issue I'm not too happy about, though. There is some type of residue on the right aileron. It looks like glue residue that will not come off with debonder, alcohol or acetone. Just another little thing. Other than that, the plane is coming out great. The wrinkles were not difficult to take out. 30 minutes with the iron and heat gun and everything turned out fine. Glad to see more positive reports.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:43 AM
ron9844
My Feedback: (65)

Picked up mine yesterday, Haven't totally unpacked yet but did remove everything from the box to give a quick look and everything looks fine even the Cowl. Will give a real good look this weekend and post again, but as of right now I am satisfied. It also looks like it is going to be a quick build.

Is everyone going with the PULL - PULL on RUDDER or is someone going to use a servo in the tail for the rudder.

Ron9844
Old 06-27-2008, 03:24 PM
mikejr718

I have mine finished. Ready to fly weight of 16lbs 2oz. Have DA50 with slimline pitts muffler. Ignition battery is on top of motor box. manual choke. Rudder is set up with pull-pull. Receiver batts strapped to bottom of pull-pull tray. CG came out about 1/2 inch behind reccomended location. Has anyone else had problems with the turnbuckles for the ailerons. Mine seem to long and bottomed out in ball-links before getting the ailerons to neutral postion.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ready to fly weight of 16lbs 2oz.
Wow. That's excellent!
Old 06-27-2008, 04:49 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mikejr718

I have mine finished. Ready to fly weight of 16lbs 2oz. H

holy floater batman! [X(]

Old 06-27-2008, 10:01 PM
JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: mikejr718

Ready to fly weight of 16lbs 2oz.
That's under the range they advertise. Are you sure that's accurate? Impressive if so. They advertise 1434 squares so that's a 25.9 wing loading. Very light.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:21 AM
MikeAndersonCA

I'm stuck in motor / canister mounting hell! The Evolution canister muffler is really too big for this plane - or just barelt small enough to fit. I'm participating in the build thread on F l y i n g G i a n t s.c o m so if you want to see what's up with my Evolution 58 mounting start here>
http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/f...tml#post491988

Effing RCUniverse stars out competitor forum names - Nice....

If anyone can tell me how hot (surface temperature) a typical canister muffler gets in operation, I'd be very happy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.