Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Build Thread: New QQ-Yak 54 101", DA-85

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Build Thread: New QQ-Yak 54 101", DA-85

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Rezagh
My Feedback: (73)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Build Thread: New QQ-Yak 54 101

mrbigg;

When I first started this thread it was in QQAC support forum and it was sticky on my forum because it was the latest thing happening at the time. I decided to move it to RCU Giantscale forum but it brought it here as sticky and took the priveleges from me to remove the sticky because my moderation was only good for the QQAC forum. I guess someone needs to send an email to RCU moderator to remove this.

I agree with you. It shouldn't stay there.

Cheers,
Reza
ORIGINAL: mrbigg

Why is this thread still a "sticky"? The place is out of business and nobody has posted here for several months. I couldn't understand why it was a "sticky" in the first place. Just another ARF assembly thread. I can't see the priority it has over the other threads in this forum and the need to be on the top of the list.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:41 AM
JEFFRO503
My Feedback: (9)

Well.....thank god it was a "sticky" up until now....since i just bought 3 of these 101's! Thanks Reza by the way for doing the build thread. It will come in very helpfull. I'm building mine with a different motor choice , but everything really helps. I decided to use a BME 116 twin on the front.....should be an animal.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:07 AM
geoflys

Old 06-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Rich M.

My DA-85S/N numbers are12 & 13 Had to send back in for gap in hub to snoot,Didn't have the10 thousands clearence.
motor will heat up when flyingexpand snoot,rub hub and quit. Sent back in
runs like a top. You want the motor to 4cycle sound on the bottom and I have never
Leaned it out all the wayon topand has plenty of power for a 27 Plus Lbs plane. Have flown this motor sincebeforethey hit the market.
I have heard that some shake bad, And can be taken care of. Mine is fine and I hope so as I
am flying this one wed-sunday this week. Also wanted a Bind and soft switch for side of plane. This is what I made for that.
Since I haven't seen one yet. Wanted to do as Mike MCconville did to his big Carden a heavy duty soft switch. & the charge side as a bind
and would fit the pre cut switch holes well of QQ Yak. But this takes care of the pre made switch hole and gives me what I wanted.
Can Bind without removal of hatch.

Rich
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76700.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	1218949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw70883.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	310.2 KB
ID:	1218950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54325.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	313.0 KB
ID:	1218951   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw65616.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	1218952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj63619.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	1218953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gx30550.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	1218954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73171.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	1218955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50385.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	1218956  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80399.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	1218957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74550.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	1218958  
Old 06-15-2009, 07:49 PM
D.O.A.F.S.

Question for Reza, when you installed the MTW RE3 pipe which header did you use? Gathering stuff ahead of time and I want to make sure I get the rite one for this airframe with a DA85. THANKS in advance Mark
Old 06-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Rezagh

Hi Mark,

I used 12" before the updates to DA85. For new series or updated engine I recommend 360mm which is roughly 14". So if you buy an 11" header, get 3" extension and solder it. DA also has 12" header and they sell 2" extensions, that should work fine! This is for RE3 only!

Thank you,
Reza
Old 06-17-2009, 08:07 AM
D.O.A.F.S.

THANKSReza,
So there's no drop in the header? The only pics I've seen are the ones you posted which just show the pipe, none of the header. Do you have any pics with the cowl off? Again I appreciate your help, Mark
ORIGINAL: Rezagh

Hi Mark,

I used 12" before the updates to DA85. For new series or updated engine I recommend 360mm which is roughly 14". So if you buy an 11" header, get 3" extension and solder it. DA also has 12" header and they sell 2" extensions, that should work fine! This is for RE3 only!

Thank you,
Reza
Old 06-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Rich M.

Reza.
RCU took the post off with the new RE3 pipe showing in the QQ Yak 101" Cutting out the bottom of airframe and inlageing the pipe holes and showing (O) drop in header and using glow fuel tubing to cushion and hold pipe in 3 places of each Pipe hole. Because the RE3 has 10mm thicker walls.
Might have that still in FG. But may have closed that thread also.

Rich (DOG)
Old 06-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Rezagh

Hi Rich,

I am aware of 10mm thicker wall. That's the reason I modified the mounts and had to redo all that. I am not sure why RCU took them off but it is still on FG. Anyone is more than welcome to use them. I have been away from RCU for a while and am not sure what's happening here and why they take things off. I am an email away if I can be of any help.

Thank you Rich,
Reza

ORIGINAL: Rich M.

Reza.
RCU took the post off with the new RE3 pipe showing in the QQ Yak 101" Cutting out the bottom of airframe and inlageing the pipe holes and showing (O) drop in header and using glow fuel tubing to cushion and hold pipe in 3 places of each Pipe hole. Because the RE3 has 10mm thicker walls.
Might have that still in FG. But may have closed that thread also.

Rich (DOG)
Old 06-17-2009, 10:50 AM
Rezagh

You are very welcome!
It is 0 drop header. Make sure to get the flex header if possible!
My email address is: [email protected] in case I didn't check here often.

Cheers,
Reza Gholamipour
ORIGINAL: D.O.A.F.S.

THANKSReza,
So there's no drop in the header? The only pics I've seen are the ones you posted which just show the pipe, none of the header. Do you have any pics with the cowl off? Again I appreciate your help, Mark

Hi Mark,

Thank you,
Reza
Old 06-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Rezagh

Great jon Rich! A kit builder always builds to perfection!

Thank you,
Reza

My DA-85S/N numbers are12 & 13 Had to send back in for gap in hub to snoot,Didn't have the10 thousands clearence.
runs like a top. You want the motor to 4cycle sound on the bottom and I have never
Leaned it out all the wayon topand has plenty of power for a 27 Plus Lbs plane. Have flown this motor sincebeforethey hit the market.
I have heard that some shake bad, And can be taken care of. Mine is fine and I hope so as I
am flying this one wed-sunday this week. Also wanted a Bind and soft switch for side of plane. This is what I made for that.
Since I haven't seen one yet. Wanted to do as Mike MCconville did to his big Carden a heavy duty soft switch. & the charge side as a bind
and would fit the pre cut switch holes well of QQ Yak. But this takes care of the pre made switch hole and gives me what I wanted.

Rich
Old 06-17-2009, 07:44 PM
D.O.A.F.S.

THANKS for all the help, Mark
Old 06-17-2009, 11:12 PM
Rich M.

Thank You Reza
Rich M.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Rezagh

Great job Rich! A kit builder always builds to perfection!

Thank you,
Reza

Rich
Old 06-18-2009, 10:24 AM
JEFFRO503
My Feedback: (9)

Hey Reza....

Quick question for ya. I'm plopping all my money down on my servos and am going to be running 7955's every where except possibly the rudder. I was thinking of try just one Futaba 9157 to save some weight ( and cost ) I guess i could go the dual 7955's on the rudder since i know they lose just a slight bit of power after they get a little warm , but i'm mainly wanting to use one for weight and ease of setup. I do fly pretty agressive 3D type flight , with some occasional airframe durability testing moves hehe.

Also...Reza....thanks a lot for still contributing to this thread! Like i mentioned up above , i just bought 3 of these for myself , because i belive in this aircraft , and the designing that you guys put forth into it. In fact....my buddy likes it so much , he's stripping down his 33% ( in perfect shape) SD Yak , and ordering another one up as well.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Rezagh

First of all thank you for your kind words buddy! If I can be of any help, you guys know how to get ahold of me! QQAC has closed but I am still here and kicking

As for the rudder, what is the torque of 9157?
See for slow 3D flying, rudder servo doesn't have to be super strong since the air flow over the rudder doesn't demand servo torque as much. You will feel blow back in high speed moves such as a knife edge loop since you are going full throttle. I have one 8711 and it is more than enough. If it is in the price range pick up one 8711. Don't worry about the jitter or shake people talk about, I have over 400 flights on my 102 with one 8711 and servo still going strong. I heard with little piece of velcro you can take the jitter away as well. Anyways, If you have 350 and above toruqe with 9157 then try it and see how you like it. You can always add one more later but chances are you won't need it

Cheers,
Reza
ORIGINAL: JEFFRO503

Hey Reza....

Quick question for ya. I'm plopping all my money down on my servos and am going to be running 7955's every where except possibly the rudder. I was thinking of try just one Futaba 9157 to save some weight ( and cost ) I guess i could go the dual 7955's on the rudder since i know they lose just a slight bit of power after they get a little warm , but i'm mainly wanting to use one for weight and ease of setup. I do fly pretty agressive 3D type flight , with some occasional airframe durability testing moves hehe.

Also...Reza....thanks a lot for still contributing to this thread! Like i mentioned up above , i just bought 3 of these for myself , because i belive in this aircraft , and the designing that you guys put forth into it. In fact....my buddy likes it so much , he's stripping down his 33% ( in perfect shape) SD Yak , and ordering another one up as well.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:07 AM
Rich M.

Reza,
Rich Mowery here. Funny you mentionen that shake in the 8711 on my rudder. Mine does the same and Geometry is great from the hinge line pull. Ryan come by and Cracky from FG. and they both wer saying have you seen the guys now putting the  felcro pad on the top of fin. Me OH YEH... Because its like your fomy you just touch it and the shaking stops. So the little felcro pad puts enogh friction on the rudder, servo stops gittering in center. I believe the dead band is so close in the 8711 is why that servo does that.
Nice visiting with you guys. I'll stop back in. Painting tonight Reza Carden Parts. and started bas for my pilot. Huck Fest STL  pull in next Wed night........ Huck That QQ 101 to death ( MAYBE).......

Some Thread Info:
1.  The wing tube hasn't broke in the first 4 flights.
2. I'm a DA dealer and my DA-85 motor hasn't dead sticked 4 times out of 10 flights.
If DA did all that work to the engine they change the timming and do some other thing to the compression and cuts fibration of motor with stock muffler and still remains the same horse power..
3 Because when talking to service with shake of motor concerns of shaking of plane.
That's called DA bends over backwards for customer service. ( Check for Air sucking in your gas lines. from tank to carb and if have TEE fitting if you have hooked that way with large lines and no fuel Barbes. Have you got Nyrod on the throttle so when the aiplane heats up the throttle changes. I could go on that would make a motor quit 4 out of 10 flights. Sorry Guys.....
And My plane is still glued together and XFC ready.

Reza did the Instrument panel come with the kit? I make panels out of vinyl plastic and have a Yak panel.
I was going to just  make one. Looks like that panel kit was just folding some then cardboard in the pictures. There I go ( I'll just make one)
Rich,

Old 06-21-2009, 10:45 PM
geoflys

Reza....When I built my 101 over the winter you advised me to cut an inch off the header...for higher rpm..(Im running greeves with da85).... This motor has been TOUGH...the midrange has been running very rough....and have had a number of dead sticks...Throttle response is poor/slow......DA has recently replaced the piston,changed the timing,and carb...and tuned.......still have had occasional stalls(deadsticks)....
We replumbed all lines, replaced filter and clunks,checked the plug/gap,bypassed the digiswitch and ran 6v direct to ignition.(just to see).. The motor stalling happens at different flight times.....that is at ANY time during flight....and happens every 2-5 flights
engine is not too lean or hot.....Its been a real ***** to figure out..... I know that you have done quite a bit of pipe testing... I currently have a 25mm drop,with 1 inch cut off of it.....attached to the greeves....do you think the 2/12 extension would help out or do you think I should get a new header plus the 2 1/2 ?? any info appreciated
Old 06-22-2009, 02:49 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you running a pipe or a canister?
Old 06-22-2009, 09:23 AM
geoflys

greeves tuned pipe
Old 06-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Rezagh

Hi geo,

Sorry about all the troubles! The 1" cutting the header is what Quique told me at a time and wanted to be done. Greve pipes in general don't have good mid range not in my experience! Since then I have done testings myself. I would think the extension can help you. Start with 2 1/2" extension without buying a new header. If I am not mistaken Greve now has a new pipe for 85 and 170 that are actually longer so this extension will help you achieve that partly! BTW, is this 0 drop or 25mm? I thought te 101 has 0 drop but it's been a while and I don't clearly remember.

As for motor quiting if it is not getting too hot, I have no explanation for it but short header may cause over heating on the motor. I sincerely am sorry for the trouble I may have caused you. I hope this extension helps. My testings have been majorly with RE3 but I am kinda confident the extension will improve your mid range with Greve pipe even though I have not done personal testing myself.

Cheers,
Reza Gholamipour
ORIGINAL: geoflys

Reza....When I built my 101 over the winter you advised me to cut an inch off the header...for higher rpm..(Im running greeves with da85).... This motor has been TOUGH...the midrange has been running very rough....and have had a number of dead sticks...Throttle response is poor/slow......DA has recently replaced the piston,changed the timing,and carb...and tuned.......still have had occasional stalls(deadsticks)....
We replumbed all lines, replaced filter and clunks,checked the plug/gap,bypassed the digiswitch and ran 6v direct to ignition.(just to see).. The motor stalling happens at different flight times.....that is at ANY time during flight....and happens every 2-5 flights
engine is not too lean or hot.....Its been a real ***** to figure out..... I know that you have done quite a bit of pipe testing... I currently have a 25mm drop,with 1 inch cut off of it.....attached to the greeves....do you think the 2/12 extension would help out or do you think I should get a new header plus the 2 1/2 ?? any info appreciated
Old 06-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Rezagh

Hi Rich,

Yes, I did have some trouble with the panel myself. I used clear silicone or canopy glue to hold it if I remember right! Another problem with it would be if you leave under sun for sometime, it starts warping. I always put a whie towel on the canopy to protect both the canopy and the panel.

Have fun at the huckfest,
Reza

Rezadid the Instrument panel come with the kit? I make panels out of vinyl plastic and have a Yak panel.
I was going to just make one. Looks like that panel kit was just folding some then cardboard in the pictures. There I go ( I'll just make one)
Rich,

Old 06-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Rich M.

Reza,
Rich Mowery here, I waspainting some parts for Dave Fick.... FG ( Cracky) and started a pilot I got for fixing a plane.Was shootingWhite.
later I'll shoot you a picture of the pilot and panel I made,finishedin the plane. Here is a shot of the base. Then went with the colors of the plane. I'll have pictures from the Huck Fest. Reza I'm going to put the smoke Pump in tonight after me & Ryan get home. Where flying @ Orchard Fams tonight. PRE HUCK-FESTI'm using the skywriter. I'm thnking mounting the pump on lower floor,right behind Rudder servo floor. I think that is back of Pipe bay. I'm sure there is several places to keep it away from the remotes of the AR9100... Don't mind at all a little tail weight You know buddy.

Talk to you later
If I don't here from you tonight I'll email you Reaza
Thanks ahead for your time.
Rich M.

Hi Rich,

Yes, I did have some trouble with the panel myself. I used clear silicone or canopy glue to hold it if I remember right! Another problem with it would be if you leave under sun for sometime, it starts warping. I always put a whie towel on the canopy to protect both the canopy and the panel.

Reza

Rezadid the Instrument panel come with the kit? I make panels out of vinyl plastic and have a Yak panel.
I was going to just make one. Looks like that panel kit was just folding some then cardboard in the pictures. There I go ( I'll just make one)
Rich,

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58143.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	1222754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33775.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	305.8 KB
ID:	1222755  
Old 06-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Rezagh

Hi Rich,

I don't think that would be a problem. Like you said there will be other places as well. One thing is you will need to shoot the smoke in a longer range. Hope Skywriter can handle that! Also any pluming issue what so ever can make a mess all inside the fuse. I rather you mount it closer to the engine if you can. Also if you are not using can, maybe in the can tunnel! Just a suggestion!

Hope you guy have a blast at the huckfest and pre-huckfest.

Cheers,
Reza

Reza,
Rich Mowery here, I was painting some parts for Dave Fick.... FG ( Cracky) and started a pilot I got for fixing a plane. Was shooting White.
later I'll shoot you a picture of the pilot and panel I made, finished in the plane. Here is a shot of the base. Then went with the colors of the plane. I'll have pictures from the Huck Fest. Reza I'm going to put the smoke Pump in tonight after me & Ryan get home. Where flying @ Orchard Fams tonight. PRE HUCK-FEST I'm using the skywriter. I'm thnking mounting the pump on lower floor,right behind Rudder servo floor. I think that is back of Pipe bay. I'm sure there is several places to keep it away from the remotes of the AR9100... Don't mind at all a little tail weight You know buddy.

Talk to you later
If I don't here from you tonight I'll email you Reaza
Thanks ahead for your time.
Rich M.

Hi Rich,

Reza

Reza did the Instrument panel come with the kit? I make panels out of vinyl plastic and have a Yak panel.
Rich,

Old 06-23-2009, 07:13 PM
geoflys

REZA....OK a question... i am thinking of replacing entire header / exhaust combo on my da85...(..as I cut an inch off the header)....does the re3 go in easliy...what about the new greeves ..any feedback on it??...as I mentioned I do have a da 2 1/2 extension however ..being that I cut an inch off the header ...will it make much of a diff? If I an going to spend the time Id like to get it right! Whats your opinion?? right now midrange is terrible with poor response...
George

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.