Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Magic Hand planes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 06:25 PM
joetach
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magic Hand planes?

Hi Guys,

Has anyone had any experience with Magic Hand planes sold by TBM? They look good, and are proced about $300 under the QQ and H-9 line of planes.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:41 PM
qnzkrew

Default RE: Magic Hand planes?

hi my friend is bulding one . so far he has liked the buld . he says is real good other than the landing gear on the yak beign reinforced. but for the price is a hit. im sure they are people already flying them.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:24 PM
maineflyer
My Feedback: (44)

I was really happy with the quality of mine (73"). Here is the build thread.
The one shown in the 73" size on the TBM site is mine. It is powered by an OS 1.60.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_72...tm.htm#7251076

Jeff
Old 06-26-2008, 07:54 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are these Yaks related to anything out there? Like the BME Yak, AW Yak etc? I know the East RC are the same as BME. Also what does this Yak end up weighing with a light setup? (ie single rx batt, no spinner or pants). They call it 87" but I'm sure it's more like 84-85". I'm looking for a cheap 50cc Yak myself.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:03 AM
maineflyer

They are made by FB models. I am not sure if there ar any other retailers selling the same planes. The quality is very good, TBM says the next load will be changed slightly (longer nose for balance 1/2"-1" I think on the smaller ones) and CF gear and wing tube.
Jeff
Old 06-27-2008, 07:47 AM
joetach
My Feedback: (7)

Thanks so much for your help guys!

Joe
Old 06-27-2008, 08:02 AM
MIXMASTER
My Feedback: (15)

Its hard to get a read on them now, TBM doesnt give much "accurate" info right now. The pictures on their web site is the smaller glow version, not 50% or up, and I tried to download the manual, just got a cover page with pictures of what must be 20 different schemes, no building info, nothing. I know from experience the TOC-E Yak is a wonderful plane, I dont know why they are dropping one of the best, even compared to EF & QQ, its about as perfect as they can get, IMO. (mine is in the "repair shop", brain fart-dead stick in a low hover, it needs F U E L ya moron!!!)
Old 06-27-2008, 09:00 AM
JoeAirPort

Yeah the manual was kind of stuff pieced together. Very brief. I really don't need a detailed manual after building a half dozen planes this size but the engine centerline and offset distances woud be nice. I'd prefer to see somebody else's result rather than just experimenting. We all know what it's like to buy a budget ARF and have to re-build almost every part of it. It can be very time consuming (my buddy just did that with a Nitro models Yak).
Old 06-27-2008, 09:08 AM
maineflyer

Guys, I can't give you a read on the bigger models 30% and up. The 25% is a good build. thin firewall, excellent fiberglass cowl (blind attachment) I changed out the hardware on mine although I heard the bigger planes have better hardware. The manual is (non-existant)... hope this helps. I have both the EF yak 74" and the 73" magic hand and the EF has a thicker airfoil and better hardware but the glass cowl on the MH has better detail and was a nicer finish.
I would like to hear from someone who has a bigger plane to see what they think of it.
Jeff
Old 06-27-2008, 09:28 AM
JoeAirPort

Yeah I would like to know about the 87"- 2" Yak (because no way is it 87" ). I have an engine and gear from my crashed Ultra RC 50cc Yak that I'd like to put in something like this.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:17 PM
boosted180
My Feedback: (8)

maineflyer, which plane flies better: the extreme flight or the magic hand? how about build quality and weight? i'm looking for a plane for my brillelli 46cc. (this engine is a bit of an overkill for either plane, but that's ok.)

Old 11-04-2008, 05:10 PM
maineflyer

boosted180,
The EF is on the bench right now being built. If you go with the Magic Hand you will have to beef up the fire wall for the 46. The EF has adjustable stabs also which is nice. I think the weight is about the same. I think the EF is a proven platfrom for the 46 and the landing gear is rdefinitly robust enough to handle it. The magic hand flys nice but the metal gear and tail wheel are lacking the strength for a 46 I think. I also think the thicker airfoil and extra wing area on the EF will be better for the gasser. I can't wait to get the EF in the air in the spring. Both will have 1.60s on them and will be set up similarly so I will be able to make comparisons
Hope this helps, if you need anything specific just pm me.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:06 PM
hanko

I heard they are changing the name to Magic Klienstien
Old 11-24-2008, 09:17 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: hanko

I heard they are changing the name to Magic Klienstien
Say, what???????
Old 12-01-2008, 11:55 AM
ice_plane

I think they are still "Magic Hand" not magic foot something else..
check their website at www.magichand-rc.com
Old 12-11-2008, 05:54 PM
cbk07
My Feedback: (64)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Several guys have received the new www.Pilot-RC.com planes.....sounds like they will be the new leaders in the field
Old 12-11-2008, 08:11 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

Not looking like much on their web site. Very similar to Rich Models and SD Models, down to the schemes...
Old 12-16-2008, 10:49 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

I checked out the Pilot RC web site. Not impressed with the pricing, considering they're supposedly offering introductory pricing for the combo. $1500 for the 100cc yak with DL100 is on par with the high end proven planes like QQ aircraft. In fact, I bought a QQ 100cc Yak last month for $799, DL 100 for $550 from Cyclone.com for less than than unproven airframe at Pilot intro prices. Not sure why people will take a risk at their pricing.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:00 AM
CHAWKJIM

I was at this maiden flight and have checked out the 35% pilot yak and this is one impressive package, from the carbon fiber spinner to the carbon fiber landing gear. I have the SD models yak and I built it as light as I could. The pilot yak is 3 lbs lighter without trying. I was very impressed with the flight . I will own one.[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4eSjKB7H2w]maiden flight[/link]
Old 02-20-2009, 10:30 PM
cam17

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Are these Yaks related to anything out there? Like the BME Yak, AW Yak etc? I know the East RC are the same as BME. Also what does this Yak end up weighing with a light setup? (ie single rx batt, no spinner or pants). They call it 87" but I'm sure it's more like 84-85". I'm looking for a cheap 50cc Yak myself.

hey guys,

i agree the pilot rc planes look nice.

in response to JoeAirPort;
I am currently building a 50cc magic hand yak 54. yes the wing span is 87''. So far i have been very happy with the build it looks very strong. I dont have an exact wieght for i am not finished yet still waiting on batteries, but it looks like it will be about 18 lbs. with fuel, and that is without a carbon wing tube or any lightening of the plane.

here are the specs:

DA-50 w/ 22x8 prop
JR DS-8711 1 on rudder with a SWB servo tray
JR DS-8611 2 on elevator and aileron
JR DS-8231 on throttle
fromeco 2600 mah batteries x3 (2 for reciever, 1 for ignition)
Spektrum AR-9100
Smart Fly Super reg
Smart Fly ignition cut off and 5.2v reg. for the cut off.

I am sure im forgetting something but ill eventually remeber. If you want any pics or have questions ill be glad to post some. Also if you know of anyone else who is building one and has more information it would be nice to see what they think.

Thank you.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:55 PM
cam17

i was right i forgot i have a KS-86v canister exhaust for the DA-50