Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Instruction for Hangar 9 Edge 540 (1.20)

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Instruction for Hangar 9 Edge 540 (1.20)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 11:49 PM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCS Performance

I'm happy with the RCS.
It's not a "blast out of vertical" motor, but will hold vertical upline decent. Hovers...but barely will pull out of it... still playing with props. Just got a bambula 16x8 to try on it...heard they are air movers...

I would say it flies very scale-like as the ACTUAL full scale edge would....(which by any means isn't too shabby).

Smoke is a nice effect too...if I had to do all over again, I'd get the new Sullivan Skywriter. Variable output...much nicer...

The RCS is SO good on gas too...hence the 8 oz tank....lighter fuel load gives me more room for that big battery too still get 20-25 min of flight time...haven't ran it out yet...so don't know the actual time....

I'm gonna play with the servos in stock config...for now...but still really serious about hacking into my tail....hopefully someone else has tried it....

Good Luck!
CrazyHerb
Old 05-30-2003, 12:07 AM
RJConnet

Default H9 Edge

RysiuM,

I guess I don't understand, in your notes on the first flight of your bird you state that it tip-stalls with a hard pull on the elevator and in the very next sentence you say that 9/16" is not enough throw for your low rates. It just seems to me that if a hard pull at 9/16" throw will cause it to tip stall it should be enough for any normal (non 3D) flying you would want to do.
If you think a hard pull at 9/16" will get you in trouble under certain circumstances just wait till you try a hard pull at 1- 1/4"
I would appreciate any comments as I am very close to flying my H9 540 with a Moki 1.8 @ 12.5 Lbs. I am presently flying a GP G202 and with 1/2" of elevator throw and it will snap out of the top of a loop if you pull in full up elevator. With only 1/2" of elevator it does up-right and inverted snap rolls with no problem. I'm still afraid to switch to high elevator rate.
Old 05-30-2003, 12:52 AM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete

Default Funny....when it comes to 3D

You know...
It's funny to see these "other" planes in a harrier...with the elevator banged all the way up...and not TIP STALLING...

What the heck is up with the H9 Edge?? Why would a nice straight leading edge wing want to snap out SO bad....??

I can see a tapered Giles....

Combine loading, inconsistant airfoils, incidences, variable CG's, and who knows what else....any ideas???

I've even heard of guys stripping their wing and re-sanding the airfoil...on an ARF...bummer...

My first wing had a really bad left snap/tip stall with very little elevator throw....try coming out of a loop at 50 ft and have it snap on the downside trying to pull out....makes the hair on the back of your neck stand...sent my wing back and this one is better...but still not perfect...

Makes me want to just build a constant chord wing for the Edge...sinfull eh??? JUST to see....if its that elevator deflection, CG, or wing loading....

Shrug....

High Flights,
CrazyHerb
Old 05-30-2003, 06:26 AM
RysiuM
My Feedback: (1)

Default Re: H9 Edge

Originally posted by RJConnet
RysiuM,

I guess I don't understand, in your notes on the first flight of your bird you state that it tip-stalls with a hard pull on the elevator and in the very next sentence you say that 9/16" is not enough throw for your low rates.
Sorry, I didn't put it right. Because low rates (9/16") was not enough, the plane was flown on hi rates - now with 3" throw, it was easy to snap it. I was thinking, that 1-1/4" would be easier to handle than 3" and still get enough elevator for slow speed (like landing). The tip stall I observed was, when the plane was going out of the loop pointing nose down. That was scary. I was already seeing my new Edge in a grocery bag. THANK YOU CHUCK FOR SAVING MY PLANE.

It could be right, that 1/2" is regular throw on fast flying, but then 3" on hi doesn't make any sense. I have never seen a plane with 6:1 ration on Hi to Lo rates. On my radio (I have Futaba U8S) I can setup ATV from 30% to 140% - it's not even 1:5 ratio. And 30% is really poor resolution (that's why I had problem with analog servos).

I'm confused . I'd like to fly slow on my Edge (hi alpha) and I was hoping that it will not tip stall (like CAP). I have already had a scale acrobatic (40 size) which couldn't fly slow and flew more like a real plane. Now I want a little more like "wild flying".

I will keep you posted. I'm not sure If I will have a time to take it out this weekend, and room in my truck is a problem now . If I take H9 Edge, than I can take only two or three 12 scale toys. I was planning to play with my Kadet LT-40 with on-board video, and maybe try to drop my new paratroopers from a bomb bay.

RysiuM
----------
So many planes, so little time.
Old 06-02-2003, 06:09 PM
RysiuM

Default Instruction for Hangar 9 Edge 540 (1.20)

Quick update - My first flight.

Yesterday I have flown it the first time myself. It was TERRIBLE. Slow speed - tip stall and snap, hi speed - tip stall and snap. I couldn't hardly move an elevator. I couldn't even make a loop. Rolls were wobbling. Finally the landing was hard - I just touched the elevator and it jumped up and down.
Conclusion - way to much tail heavy. My set up was by the book: exactly on 5" behind LE. To be able to set it that way, I had to place the battery all the way back. It was WRONG. So I did some cuts to zip-ties and moved the battery next to the fuel tank against the firewall. As result I got CG about 3/4" forward the previous position.
So I run it again. What the difference. It's a floater. I was able to make tight loops at a diameter 5 length of the plane. Rolls were axial and fast (on low rate). Slow speed - no tip stall tendency. I was excited. To exited.
First attempt to land it - to high (it's a floater)
Second attempt - still to fast
Third attempt - darn. Mea Culpa. High dry grass in front of the runway grabbed my landing gear and teared it out of the plane. I was three feet short and one feet to low. Sh$&#@. I was happy, that my Edge tuned to be a good flyer, and so pissed that I can't fly it soon - have to fix it first.
What I love the most - the engine. Starts from one flip every time. Perfect power, smooth running and on this plane doesn't take to much fuel. 5 minutes of easy flying (one take off, three landings and some playing high in the air) took about 5-8 oz of fuel.

RysiuM
Old 06-03-2003, 10:30 AM
rickgell

You are dead right about the CG position in the manual. I experienced the same proble s until I moved the CG forward. Now my MOKI 210 powered H9 edge fly excellently. Does harriers and about 10% throttle.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:41 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Yeah, I can't wait till this weekend to go do another great flight with mine. I flew my Moki 180 at 1/4 or less the whole flight
Old 06-04-2003, 03:32 PM
RysiuM

Originally posted by rickgell
You are dead right about the CG position in the manual. I experienced the same proble s until I moved the CG forward.
Where is your CG measured at the wing tip? From the manual it look like should be where the aileron starts. I think it is BS :angry: .
My best guess it is the place, where the red stripe is (here is the spar), or maybe up to 1/2 inch behind this stripe.

WHAT IS THE TRUTH??? :spinnyeye

RysiuM
Old 06-04-2003, 07:25 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

hi guy's how are you checking the indence on the plane.

do you level out the fuse with the wing on it and put the meter on the root of the wing.?

or do you level the fuse with a level in the wing saddle aera?

need some help on this as this is my second 540.........LOL

thanks dennis
Old 06-04-2003, 07:47 PM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete

Default CG Issues...

I'm wondering if this may have been my problem the whole time...
I'm going to try moving the CG forward to about 4 inche from LE see what happens...still seems to be very snappy on slower speeds...

Thanks!@
CrazyHerb
Old 06-04-2003, 07:53 PM
DENNIS C

Default Re: CG Issues...

Originally posted by CrazyHerb
I'm wondering if this may have been my problem the whole time...
I'm going to try moving the CG forward to about 4 inche from LE see what happens...still seems to be very snappy on slower speeds...

Thanks!@
CrazyHerb

is it snaping out on low rate's

dennis
Old 06-04-2003, 09:12 PM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete

Default Snapping Edge's

BodyMann,
It's not snapping as bad as the first wing I had. But landings/slow flight are a hand-full...

It really likes to drop that left wing tip on landing...I have the skid-marks on my wing to prove it.

And ya...this is low rates...not much movement...

I'll play with the CG tonight maybe...see where it's at and go from there...

CrazyHerb
Old 06-04-2003, 10:00 PM
DENNIS C

Default Re: Snapping Edge's

Originally posted by CrazyHerb
BodyMann,
It's not snapping as bad as the first wing I had. But landings/slow flight are a hand-full...

It really likes to drop that left wing tip on landing...I have the skid-marks on my wing to prove it.

And ya...this is low rates...not much movement...

I'll play with the CG tonight maybe...see where it's at and go from there...

CrazyHerb

how fast are you coming in for the approach.

i know when i come in slow mine does the same thing just stalls then WHAM.

i learned to come in a couple of clicks above idle. but then the plane really does'nt want to settle( CAN'T FIGURE THAT ONE OUT )

I have to push it down for the landing ( well that was the first 540 maybe the second one will be better.

ya BTW it did'nt matter where the C.G. was at. i tried 4 in - 4 1/2.

dennis
Old 06-04-2003, 11:16 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

I have my C of G at 5" back and it doesn't tip stall or have ANY bad slow speed/stall tendancies
Old 06-05-2003, 05:38 AM
rickgell

Default CG Position

I moved the CG half an inch forward of the recommended forward CG position. and the Edge sits rock solid. I also put 3/4 of an inch reflex in the wing (both ailerons up). The reflex is on a switch. The EDGE now sits rock solid in harriers. (no wing wobble.). The CG and additioal relfex has changed this plane into a very stable bird still capable of good 3D.

By the way these settings will be different for each EDGE depending on weight. My Edge weighed in at 14Lb with a MOKI 210 running in 10% nitro.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:15 AM
RysiuM

Default Re: CG Position

Originally posted by rickgell
I By the way these settings will be different for each EDGE depending on weight. My Edge weighed in at 14Lb with a MOKI 210 running in 10% nitro.
Hi Rickgel,

That's like mine Edge. 13 1/2 lb dry. I have OS BGX-1 3500. I will try the trick with ailerons. How much did you do it?
Where is your CG measured at the wing tip.
What is your movement on elevator (low rates just for stable flying)?

I'm trying to get same ideas from other people, and nobody helped yet.

First I want to setup my Edge for easy flying. I need more time on it, but I don't want to fight it. I want to practice 1/4 scale, not to crash it.

RysiuM
Old 06-05-2003, 02:28 PM
Stargazer
My Feedback: (3)

What is the deal with this plane?? One guy builds it - loves it, no stalling, low speed flight is great - another builds it into a tip stallin beast that he dosent want to fly!??? Is it the different build technique's or are the kits that much different?
Old 06-05-2003, 02:52 PM
DENNIS C

Originally posted by ASAT
What is the deal with this plane?? One guy builds it - loves it, no stalling, low speed flight is great - another builds it into a tip stallin beast that he dosent want to fly!??? Is it the different build technique's or are the kits that much different?
boy i dont know but i'll let ya know in a couple of week's.

the first one i had was a tip stalling fool like you said. but i bought it used.

i'am building the second one myself

dennis
Old 06-05-2003, 03:23 PM
RysiuM

Originally posted by ASAT
What is the deal with this plane?? One guy builds it - loves it, no stalling, low speed flight is great - another builds it into a tip stallin beast that he dosent want to fly!???
I don't think that there is any deal with it. The plane i great, but flying characteristic depends on all factors:
1. Final weight
2. Power plant used
3. Control surfaces setup (throw)
4. Center of Gravity
5. The way people like to fly.

In example if you setup this plane with small glow engine (like OS 1.6), keep the CG and throw conservative, then you will end up with very nice floating (low wing-loading) acrobatic scale plane.
If you put powerful motor, move CG back, set the barn door throw, then you will get 3D machine. It will not float, you will have to correct it all the time. If you want that, there will be no problem for you. But if your setup results the flying not what you want, you will express complains.
In my previous posts I'm not complaining - I'm still trying to figure out what is the setup right for me and my flying capabilities.

RysiuM
Old 06-06-2003, 05:03 AM
CrazyHerb-RCU-delete

Default Another culprit...

Guys,
I just found another "gremlin" in my Edge tonight...(my fault, not in the plane itself). More than likely exagerating my "left wing stall" tendency.

What had "appeared" to be equal elevator throws was actually not....proven by taping 15 inch carbon rods to the top of the elevator halfs to come to a point behind the rudder.

First...they were out of trim with each other (Left slightly higher).
At 15 inches away from the hinge point it was off almost 1/4 inch.

Then!! When I pulled back on the elevator HOLY B-geesus...left rod jumped up almost a 1/2 inch over the right elevator half....at the 15 inch carbon rod tip.

No kidding, they looked good at the field...but those 15 inch extensions TOLD ALL!!!

I saw the idea on the web somewhere....or maybe one of the recent magazines while sitting on the "throne". Can't remember...but to the guy that figured that one out...thank you...probably just saved my plane...

So... all of you... go get some rods and tape them to your elevator halfs (if your running two servos)...

I was able to easily dial out the difference on the Futaba Super 8 using sub-trim, and EPA on the Elev - Chl 7 p-mix 1.

I checked the CG (dry tanks) and I'm right at 5 inches. So, with full tank should be good...but if the flight gets knarly toward the end of the flight I'll know my CG is still too far back.

I've been told it's easy to check in flight by climbing 45 degrees, inverting the plane...if it climbs - cg too far back, if it dives - too far forward. Anyone else have some "In-flight" CG check methods?? I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks for all the ideas and thoughts guys! It's true what they say about getting your details all checked out.

Here's a full blown 1600x1200 pic of me and the Edge:
http://home.attbi.com/~sherbertson/SteveEdge.jpg
High Flights!!
CrazyHerb
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	84231_5673.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	47102  
Old 06-06-2003, 12:20 PM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Default H9 Edge - Flight Report

Okay Fellers,
I just completed building my H9 Edge and will be making the initial flight testing today, weather permitting.

Plane is set up with JR digital servos, one each for ailerons and one on each elevator half. The elevators are driven by CF pushrods with the servos installed in the stock positions. Engine being used is a RS Engines "BRUTE 33" swinging a Zinger Pro 18x8 prop. CG was set at @ 4.75 inches behind leading edge. All up dry weight is just over 13.5 lbs. I will report back with pics later this evening. Wish me luck!

Happy Flying!

LOOPMAN
Old 06-06-2003, 02:51 PM
RysiuM

Default Re: H9 Edge - Flight Report

Originally posted by Loopman
Wish me luck!
Happy Flying!
Good luck and Happy Landing.

Remember: Takeoff is optional, flying is optional, landing is mandatory

RysiuM
Old 06-07-2003, 12:06 AM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Default Not Today!

Weather and a balky engine cancelled initial flight today. Weather is supposed to be awful for next few days, so I'll have to wait!

Happy Flying!

Loopman
Old 06-07-2003, 11:28 PM
RJConnet

Default H9 Edge

FWIW, First flights on my H9 Edge this morning. Moki 1.8 for power, Elev. servos in the tail, dry weight 12 Lbs. 4 Ozs. without wheel pants (grass field, very rough).
Plenty of power, can't imagine wanting more. Balanced right in the center of the recommended points with no added weight (battery behind the aft cockpit bulkhead). Two easy flights feeling it out, no bad tendencies immediately noticeable. No elevator mixing needed for good clean knife edge. Did not notice any bad tip-stall problems when slowed down for landings. Maybe next time out we'll try the high rates. It's a keeper. Only complaint, it was hot today and the deep blue Ultracoat relaxed and wrinkled badly, hope the heat gun takes it out.
Oh yes, Bambula 18-8 Prop, worked great.
Old 06-08-2003, 01:32 AM
RysiuM

Default Re: H9 Edge

Originally posted by RJConnet
FWIW, First flights on my H9 Edge this morning. Moki 1.8 for power, Elev. servos in the tail, dry weight 12 Lbs. 4 Ozs.
Did not notice any bad tip-stall problems when slowed down for landings.
I think that's the difference in wingloading: yours 28oz/ft, mine 31oz/ft. What I heard, 1/4 scale doesn't fly good when wingloading goes beyond 30oz/ft. It's just a magic number.
I want to get a bigger wing for my plane: the same span, but added 3" at chord. This will bring my wingloading to 25 oz/ft - it will be 3D super machine.
Bigger wing or lighter plane - that's the solution for all my problems

RysiuM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.