Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Battery question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 12:25 AM
Bretd123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery question

I have just bought a lanier 87" yak built by my friend, he had 2 hyrimax 6 cell batteries with 2 voltage regulators in it. the problem is that this requires 8 channels and i am on a dx7. What would be the best solution to this problem? I really dont want lipo because it is too complicated for me right now.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:54 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Battery question

Three solutions come to mind:

One buy a 9 channel RX available for the Spectrum DX7.
Two, take one voltage regulator out and one of the batteries and use just one battery and regulator.
Three take out both regulators and batteries and use one five Sub C cell battery, favorite in my opinion as there is less to go wrong and it reduces weight, the only problem with this is that you will loose your bling factor on the flight line. LOL

Mike
Old 08-11-2008, 06:44 AM
apriliamille
My Feedback: (1)

hi,
i too am running spectrum7. it was suggested to me to run a y harness to one of the inputs and connect to that one ie rudder servo port plus battery connector so that the y takes care off the servo and gains the power from the additonal battery lead.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:54 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hang on a minute, there are eight inputs on the 7000 Rx, how may servo's are you using?

Two ailerons
Two Elevator
One Rudder
One Throttle
Two battery.

Does not that do it?

Mike
Old 08-11-2008, 10:14 AM
apriliamille
My Feedback: (1)

when i was figuring out what to do with my dx7 i figured

2x ailerons
2x elevator
1x rudder
1x throttle
1x choke or ignition remote kill

leaving me pondering what to do since my batts came with two output leads to connect to the rx.

i think i had asked a similar type question a little while back and did a thread. there might be something in there to help you with ideas.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_77...tm.htm#7774541
Old 08-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Run dual RX's.

Yes, I KNOW the remote antennas aren't mounted correctly. I fixed it. HEY!! It was my first Spektrum airplane-cut me some slack.

It will cost you $100 to buy another RX. If you're like most fliers, you already have a handful of RX's lying around anyway. So it won't cost you squat. Whats it cost you in weight? 1oz?

You're already running redundant batteries and switches. You need more ports for servos and batery leads. Run another RX and split the plane up. Then you've added a whole new level of redundancy to the plane. Is it overkill? SURE IT IS!!! Is it going to kill anybody? Nope. Is it going to cause the plane to wreck? Nope. Is it going to cost you a ton of weight? Nope. Is it overly complicated? Nope. Is it more reliable than a servo splitter? Yup. Is it more reliable than a Y-harness? Yup. Will it work? Yup. Bling Bling? I guess.......... if you actually care about that sorta shallow and silly stuff.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63985.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1009078  
Old 08-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

You didn't say what size or kind of batteries you wanted to put in it. If they are the newer low impedence NiMH of 2000 mAh capacity or so with two leads, all you need is one pack in an 87" plane. Plug one lead into the receiver, and "Y" off the throttle or choke servo for the other lead. Or if you're running Hitec digital servos, reverse one of the elevator servos and use a "Y" harness on them and leave them on one channel. That frees up a channel for ya.....Been running one battery/two leads/ two switches for 4 or 5 years now with never a problem.....KISS is the way I like it.