Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Building the new H9 Sukhoi SU 26MM

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Building the new H9 Sukhoi SU 26MM

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 08:18 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building the new H9 Sukhoi SU 26MM

Can't remember Rick, did you put a power distribution system in yours?
Old 01-03-2010, 08:28 PM
FlyerRick

yah, 10-4...Smart-Fly Power Expander Pro w/electronic ignition cut-off.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Flyinhi1

I got the first SU26mm in Tucson, I know because I was on the waiting list at the main LHS for GS stuff and be-friended an owner of a now defunct LHS and he "obtained" this model before anyone else in town got it. The point is, I got one of the first-run editions, surely, before everyone found out there were bugs to be dealt with and surely mine had EVERY possible problem with this model. (Lesson learned- don't buy the first edition of a model) I waited to assemble this one for a good while and was disappointed, as you might be, when the horror stories started to emerge. So, with what everyone else was reporting, I sat back and analyzed the situations and dealt with them accordingly. I have many gallons threw mine with a DA 85 and plan on competing with this plane for the 2010 season. What I did was flow 30 min epoxy over every joint with a heat gun that I could reach. (Tedious!) Tri-stocked the the motor box, had my engine in to DA for the piston/ring upgrade and timing change as well as others current with their support. Injected CA into the hard point joints with a hypo needle and other mods as reasonable and practical that you can find on forums concerning this model. This model is unquestionably an amazing flyer with an 85CC engine even if you have to beef up a few key areas, which undoubtedly adds a little weight. It's already light enough that a bit of gristle for strength doesn't faze it. Don't despair, follow the mods as you see fit and you will be justly rewarded with pretty durable bird that does both IMAC and 3D very well. Mike McConville knocked it out of the park on this design, IMO.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:56 PM
flyzdz
My Feedback: (67)

I also purchased a spare canopy, and also have a new cowl as the one that came with mine was damaged. Not terrible but still damaged. If any of you are interested I'd take 800.00, and split shipping. I think that I am just not comfortable with what I have found about this airframe. Not sure what all i have invested in this but I think I'm gonna probably sell and just take the loss, not sure I'd ever enjoy flying it for the fear of what may come.    Whatcha think?
Old 01-03-2010, 09:27 PM
flyzdz
My Feedback: (67)

Sorry guys didn't mean to threaten anyone with my thoughts of selling, the first to try and talk me out of it wasn't gonna be forced to buy it. hahaha Guess I was just lookin for a little bit of encouragement to build the damn thing and see what happens. Sure wish I would have checked out the OMP Yak55 a little more before going with this sukhoi. Since the purchase i have done more research on the Yak and the Extra 260 by OMP and I really like what I see. one of my flyin buds just got their MX 2 and it is a very impressive airframe.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:21 AM
airwayman
My Feedback: (2)

I have a brand new cowl, which is still in the plastic bag, plus a rudder and both horizontal stabs complete with elevators. I will sell them cheap cheap as I have no use for them. They are in like new condition. Airwayman.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:31 AM
FlyerRick

Just to keep all of us on the same page and no mis-info here...From the Horizon Parts Dept:
Rudder (HAN1231)= $24.99
Cowl (HAN1234)= $34.99
Left Stab & Elevator complete (HAN1229)= $34.99
Right Stab & Elevator complete (HAN1230)= $34.99
Old 01-04-2010, 09:49 AM
airwayman

ORIGINAL: TwistedRickster

Just to keep all of us on the same page and no mis-info here...From the Horizon Parts Dept:
Rudder (HAN1231)= $24.99
Cowl (HAN1234)= $34.99
Left Stab & Elevator complete (HAN1229)= $34.99
Right Stab & Elevator complete (HAN1230)= $34.99
Okay, my prices:
Rudder $10 (no charge for the JR decal)
Cowl $25 (never been out of the plastic bag)
Left stab & elevator $ 15
Right stab & elevator $15

Anyone who wants the whole shebang: $50

Buyer pays postage.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:58 AM
FlyerRick

Now that's a great buy! How do you want the funds sent?
Old 01-04-2010, 10:00 AM
FlyerRick

I really prefer PayPal?
Old 01-04-2010, 10:06 AM
airwayman

PayPal is my first choice
Old 01-04-2010, 10:12 AM
FlyerRick

PM me your PP info and I'll get things rolling on my end.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:39 PM
kochj

I have looked at this plane since the inseption....but I know what it is like to have a engine that shakes and then
the fun starts..

Flyinhi1
I would be interested in how the plane holds up for you after doing those things.....I had thought that Gorilla Glue would
be the bomb, but if I remember corectly, I had done that to a engine mount, and the ZDZ40f3A, still rattled it to seperation...

I love the idea, of hanging a 80-85 on this plane and flying it... Seems like a whole lota fun...
I wold think, that a BME 115 would be a great alernative...

I wonder if anyone has tried a hyde mount, type, soft mount on there big singles/??

On the other hand, the big H9 Ultimate 150 for 1,400$ seems like a steal....

Old 01-10-2010, 12:34 AM
Flyinhi1

Flyinhi1
I would be interested in how the plane holds up for you after doing those things.....I had thought that Gorilla Glue would
be the bomb, but if I remember corectly, I had done that to a engine mount, and the ZDZ40f3A, still rattled it to seperation...

My plane's been holding up great. No complaints. The upgrades to the engine (compression, timing) by DA have resulted in a smooth running single. After doing all that I stated in a previous post, nothing to report regarding the airframe,..or anything for that matter. I'm just flying it now every weekend. It's ready to start the season's first contest next week....just needs the guy behind the sticks to be as ready also
Old 03-22-2010, 08:25 PM
WickedWaggy

Hey guys:

Just ordered mine today and I have a simple question. I have access to a DLE111 and I was wondering why I couldn't use that. It makes a little more power than the 85, or just as much as one on a tuned pipe (not that I am concerned about having too little power) and should take care of a lot of the vibration issues people are having with a large single cylinder engine. I plan on putting CA on everything and reinforcing the engine box, so hopefully it will hold the extra 20 oz. I'm not a superior 3Der, but I do plan on hovering, flat spins and the like, so hopefully it will hold up. Any opinions or comments? Need some wisdom here. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:39 AM
airwayman

Just ordered mine today and I have a simple question. I have access to a DLE111 and I was wondering why I couldn't use that. It makes a little more power than the 85 and should take care of a lot of the vibration issues people are having with a large single cylinder engine. Any opinions or comments? Need some wisdom here. Thanks!
You asked for comments and wisdom, I'll give you one of them, you can decide which one it is. First, the engine choice: A DLE 111? Why not a DA 150, it has more power than the puny DLE111. Guys, this airplane would fly on a 1.20 four stroke. It does not need any more power. The DA 85, in my opinion is too much power for this airframe, 3D flying included. As you know from my prior posts, mine came apart in the air. The fuse pulled apart from the sheer power of a DA85. Do this, take you hands and place them on the outer edge of an aileron and the other near the root and twist very gently (or you'll break it). See the flex? See how lightly it's built? And you want to power it with a 111cc twin? Second, I don't know the difference in weight between a DA85 and a DLE111 but you mentioned 20 oz. Adding 20 oz. to this plane would do two things, it would spoil one of the wonderful benefits of this plane, the very light airframe. Light does fly better, much better. You would still have a very fragile airframe with a 1 lb. 4 0z. chunk of metal in the nose you don't need. In addition to this, the airplane was designed around the weight of a DA85, you add 20 oz. to the nose and you immediately have a C.G. issue. My off the cuff guess is you'd have to add another 8 oz. to the tail to get back in C.G. range. I'm just guessing on this one. Now to the 'shake' issue. I have had my DA85 modified by DA (everyone should do this..it's free). I don't have a way of measuring the vibration before and after the mod, I just assume it's less because Tru-Turn will now sell me spinners for the 85 (they wouldn't before the mod). I have two 3W106 competition series twins and a DA100 on MTW cans in giant scale aerobatic airplanes, plus the DA85 is now at home in a AeroWorks 85cc Yak. They ALL shake. I can't tell any difference in any of them. Gassers shake, some more than others but they all shake. You may find others that say I'm wrong, the DLE111 will do just fine. It might, I'm just saying you don't need it and it won't solve any shaking problems. When you take this plane out of the box, pick up a wing, now tell me you want to strap a 111cc engine to it. Airwayman.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:05 AM
[email protected]

Very well said Airwayman. I have somewhere between 10-15 flights on mine now with the DA-85. Let me tell you Wicked, it does NOT need any more power. This plane has more vertical power than my EF Yak with the DA-100. It goes & goes. It will be a speck in the sky before you realize it. Do what you want, come back & tell us how it worked out, but it's (in my opinion) going to create alot of problems for you.
Phil...
Old 03-23-2010, 09:07 AM
WickedWaggy

Thank you both for your help on the matter. I will assuredly put a zdz80 in the plane and not think twice about it. That's the kind of first hand experience and knowledge I was looking for, considering I haven't even out my hands on the plane yet.

On an unrelated topic. I see no need in being so ride airwayman. I was asking for help on a matter and you took 10 minutes out of your day to insult me. If you go back and look at my post, which is above yours, you will see that I was not concerned about a lack of power. You convinently deleted that from your post when you quoted me. I was really asking about the vibration issue and cg more than anything elese. But after your post, and seeing the attitude you have, I have a Newfound respect for you! Thanks for putting me in my place! Don't know what I was thinking, asking a question here and expecting a polite and helpful answer. Sure hope you don't treat the other pilots at your field like that. Thanks for the help and happy flying to all.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:08 AM
WickedWaggy

sorry for double post. tried to post from my blackberry...
Old 03-23-2010, 09:27 AM
[email protected]

Morning Wicked.
Let me be the first to say if I offended in any way I didn't mean to. I've been on these boards for awhile now, but I am by no means an expert on any of this stuff. I've asked for & recieved help from many people, including Airwayman. He's a good guy and I'm sure didn't mean to offend either.

Good luck with your project, Please post back & let us know how it works out.

Phil Griffin...
Old 03-23-2010, 09:28 AM
airwayman

I see no need in being so ride airwayman. I was asking for help on a matter and you took 10 minutes out of your day to insult me. You convinently deleted that from your post when you quoted me. I was really asking about the vibration issue and cg more than anything elese.
I had no intention of insulting you. You asked for advice and comments and I gave you my thoughts to help, not offend or insult you in any way. I didn't conveniently leave anything out to make you look bad, your full posting is above mine, others read it too. My intention was to help you avoid what happened to me. I realized you didn't have the plane yet and were leaning toward using an engine I think could lead to over stressing the aircraft and perhaps a costly crash. Airwayman
Old 03-23-2010, 10:55 AM
WickedWaggy

Well, like I said thanks for your help. Maybe I'm just overly sensitive or something. I've been in the hobby for over 10 years, and I thought I was asking a genuine question. Maybe I took it the wrong way, but didn't seem like a nice response. Just rubbed me the wrong way. I have been working at a hobby shop for almost 5 years too, and I make a special effort not to make people feel like an idiot. Even when they CLEARLY are. Anyhow, thanks for the help.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:06 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

question for you gents flying this airplane. Do you know if the canopy of this new version will fit the older yellow 33%?
Old 04-20-2010, 10:29 AM
WickedWaggy

I called my rep at Horizon and she said they were not interchangeable. One is the Su-31 and the other is a reworked Su-26. That being said, I don't know what other option you have. Maybe you can hack it up and get it on there? Good luck at any rate.

Oh, BTW. Did anybody see the price drop to $499?? They sold out 10 days after that, and I don't foresee anymore in the future. QQ is designing Horizons newest 33% if I had to guess - wonder how McConville feels about that, and this is all speculation on my part none of it has been confirmed - I just hear things. I have one left at my store for $499+shipping if anybody is interested, I'll ship anywhere. Just drop me a line.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:41 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

appreciate you checking Waggy, the search continues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.