Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

The look of Scale or stretched?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!
View Poll Results: A poll
Scale Plane
55.00%
Stretched Sorta Scale Plane
45.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

The look of Scale or stretched?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The look of Scale or stretched?

He is one that has no right or wrong answer.

Would you rather have your Extra, Edge, (insert all the other planes out there) LOOK like the actual plane, or would you rather your plane be a stretched, sorta scale version like most of what we have now?

I know that there are reasons they stretch them and make them not look scale, but that is not the question. The question is of how the plane LOOKS.

Just curious.

I added because people are posting about the flying qualities. That has nothing to do with this. This is asking would you like your plane to actually look like the plane, or looked morphed.

Would it be nice if the manufatures made Scale looking planes with 3D surfaces? Good question. They will need to come up with something new since they have gone through about all the aerobatic airframes and will have to come up with something new for us to spend our money on.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Scale or stretched?

There are 2 answers for me. If I'm "building" a scale aerobat from plans or a kit, I prefer the scale non-stretched version. If I'm "ARF"ing and want a larger flight envelope or I want a smoother more locked in feel for sequence flying, I'll opt for the strecthy version. I have both!
Old 09-13-2008, 04:27 AM
Eagleburger

I want both too!
Old 09-13-2008, 04:31 AM
PAPE

stretched flys better...
Old 09-13-2008, 10:23 AM
octanehuffer

A competetion plane will perform better streched. If I were building scale it would get left alone.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:30 PM
Silvanskii
My Feedback: (17)

Has anyone ever flown an aerobatic plane of decent size (ie. 30% or larger) that was anywhere close to scale?

I've seen only a very rare kit or two that had anywhere close to scale outlines. The ACM 52% Edge comes to mind, as does the MAC 41% Cap. D&L Designs make a decently scale 27% Edge 540. The old Laniers and the 33% Great Planes Extra were all kind of scale, but I've never seen one that was put together and used the same components in a manner similar to the way we put together other more popular competition airframes. I'm sure there's a few more I'm forgetting in there to.

The Magic Hand Sukhoi 35% I have is the closest arf I've seen to scale, short coupled and all, and it flies very nice. I can actually do a lot more aggressive 3D and tumbles with it because it is short coupled like the real one but it's big enough to fly good lines, have clean snaps, etc. I'm curious what other people are flying to base their opinions on.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Bass1

The Miles Reed and Godfrey plans aerobats are pretty close to a scale outline as far as being relatively"non stretched" and without the huge control surfaces we've become accustomed to (and appreciate when it's 3d time) Here is a photo of a Godfrey Extra and a shot of the fuse plan for my Miles Reed Extra 260.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30023.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	1032794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69595.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1032795  
Old 09-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Bass1

Here is a shot of my "short coupled' Miles Reed Extra 260 in it's completed form[sm=49_49.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96410.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1032810  
Old 09-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

Beautiful plane! Wow, could you imagine how well that would tumble if you put 3D surfaces on it. Woohoo!!!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:54 AM
Silvanskii
My Feedback: (17)

That's a good looking airframe right there.

I bet it tumbles good the way it is. But I agree the scale tail controls would make harrier rollers difficult hehe....

I think I would really like for a manufacturer to take s bit of time, and come up with an airframe that is scale, but has the control surfaces enlarged just enough to do 3D.