Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Cox Pitts M-12 Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 10:20 AM
kochj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cox Pitts M-12 Assembly

I really want a radial engine.....
I thought this might work with the saito radial......
Problems are: Might be too much for the radial to keep up with the airframe.....
Nitro aint cheap.....
gas is really easy ,,,,, Just flip and go!!!!
Saito raised the crap out of the 5-cyl radial.....Went up 600$ to match OS 5-cyl engine.....2,000$

I can find them still for 1,450 but I start to think that I could pick up a nice
4-cyl opposing, 3w for a few dollars more and be able to Yank the heck out of a 50Lb plane.....And it would still sound awsome....

Mr.bigg
Do you have a saito 5-cyl? Or would have had to purchase one???
Old 11-19-2008, 06:18 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have the Saito 5 cylinder. I've seen that engine run in some type of scratch built bipe. Don't know what it weighs but it is not impressive. I also seen on at a mall show in a Sig Sukoi. The green and tan one. Heard later that summer it's vertical was not that goood. What's that 150 RCS weigh in at?
Old 11-19-2008, 07:44 PM
kochj

I don't have one of those either!

I was surprised to find that the difference in weight between the (9.8lbs) 150cc moki radial and the (11.9 lbs) 250cc radial was only 2lbs!

I guess when you consider some of the weights with say the 100cc and 150cc twin 2-strokes it is a big difference.... But not as much as on the radial gassers...

Here is a very simmular Bi-plane with a ASP 400 radial in it.......
Performs very well, ....I believe the saito 5-cyl radial would work even better with less weight.....

VId
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSBKJ...eature=channel

I could live with this type of performance in the cox..pits Just fun plane to take out...
Old 11-20-2008, 09:25 AM
mrbigg

What about the 3 cylinder 450 Saito?
Old 11-20-2008, 11:48 AM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Your going to have to wait a couple of days for that hovering report. I ran the damn squirrly thing off in the sand, flipped over and cracked a rudder rib besides tearing the rudder covering and ruining a $68 prop. But all is good.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:34 PM
flaminheli

Heck, you don't have to give a flight report, just a nice long video with no music. Just the rumble of the engine. I don't know why but I cannot stand a flying video with music. I love the sound of the gas engine to much, especially a 150 or 200.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:43 PM
splais

OK, I got her fixed and got one flight in today before a 20 mph crosswind came up.

Mr. Bigg. The plane flies very efficiently with a DA50 and 22x8 prop. In level flight I'm at or below half throttle all the time. It hovers at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. It will pull out of a hover vertically pretty much as far as you want to go up, but not fast; just a nice easy continuous climb.

I solved the tailwheel stearing problem by putting short strong springs on the rudder as you can see from the pic. It nows steers with very little rudder input
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64766.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	1076211  
Old 11-21-2008, 06:09 PM
mrbigg

That's good enough power for me. I'll go with a G62 that I have laying here. I have to assemble it first after buying a piston.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:08 PM
splais

I flew three times this morning with a 3-blade 19x10 Biela (because I had it) and was very please with the results. didn't pull as hard as the 2-blade 22x8 (didn't expect it too) but the performance was very good and it looks 'cool' on the ground. I tried one hover and did ok at or near full throttle. Inverted was hands off level flight. I'm still having some trouble with knife edge, the rudder and elevator are very reactive and the coupling in both pitch and roll is pretty severe. I'm going to experiment with some mixing. The new stronger tailwheel springs has made all the difference on ground handling. this plane is very fun to fly, impressive in the air and on the ground. She does the most beautiful tail slides; just falls back on the tail and then slowly flops straight over.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:19 PM
mrbigg

Any chance of some video splais? I can't wait 'til Christmas to get going on mine.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:29 PM
splais

Well, your not going to be seeing any video for a while as you can see. [] I flew her straight into the ground at about a 75 degree angle, not much left, Plane carbon fiber spinner and prop and at best engine crank jammed into bearing, plus two broken servos. My $400 plane just turned into an $800 dollar plane plus prop spinner and engine repair. I saved the landing gear and cockpit of all things without damage, plus a few other parts. I ordered a replacement today. Had to really think about it because of comments below - but again, money won out, hard to beat that $400 sale price.

I was flying on a very dark overcast sky and just plane lost orientation on her and flew her into the ground. this plane is very hard to see under certain lighting conditions, especially if you don't keep her in close. But it was 95% my fault. too low and too far away in bad conditions.

This plane was very well built after I got to look at the wreckage. Very few glue joints broke. The wood broke everywhere. the hinges had reinforcing blocks behind them, the structure was very solid, and well built.

I had been flying this plane with a 3-blade prop the last four or five times and that is what is going on her replacement. A Mejlik 20x10 3-blade in a TBM 4.5" CF spinner.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43591.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	1078943  
Old 11-25-2008, 06:55 PM
mrbigg

Wow man, that's a drag![:@] My green and purple Ultimate is hard to see on cloudy days. Wish I would have chose a different color. I like to have some yellow on the bottoms of my planes so I can see them better. Are you gettin' another for sure?
Old 11-25-2008, 11:34 PM
kochj

Splias.....
If it makes you feal any better, I lost TWO of my planes this year, due to looseing them in the sun!

One of them, if was getting just slightly dark.....Totally lost orientation while doing some rolling circles, turned it back twards me, and the next thing I know, my plane went into the trees!

The other, was throttle attachemnt sliped on the carb (my fault) lost power, and the plane came on my left directly inline with the sun!!! I couldn't see anything,,,
I had never experiences that before, until that day!!!

Do you have many other planes???/
Did you sell your Tf giant p-51???

I almost picked up a saito twin on ebay, but bidding went to high. It was for my GP Curtiss Hawk.... Do you still have yours??/ didn't it wreck??? OR did you pick up
a TF beachcraft stagerwing????

I had read a report that one guy stuck a 3w 80 in this pitts...... I used to think that would work, but I have seen even the new H9 Sukhoi SU-26MM ARF FALL APart, due to
vibrations from those big singles!!!

Seems a nice 50cc or 60-70 twin would be that way to go..!!

Look forward to your replacement!....

I guess we have to learn when it is time NOT to fly!!! We work so hard on these planes and we get in these modes of "I am going to fly no matter what, becasue I may not be
able to for a while"
and then the plane crashes due to the whole sunlight deal.....
Old 11-26-2008, 09:46 AM
splais

Wow, you remember my TF P-51 [X(] that is one of the never-ending threads on RCU. sold it some time ago. I do have a 1/3 scale BUSA Sopwith Pup with a G62 and a BUSA 1/4 scale Fokker DVII with a Quadra 52. They look cool; but the Pitts flew great. I did order another before they run out. Since I have all the proper pushrods, servos, rudder linkages etc, didn't have much choice . the engine went back to DA today, should only be a couple hundred at most. It's the spinner and prop that hurt the most, other than the plane.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:05 PM
kochj

DA has always treated me well....

I had went in to smooth out my exhause ports on my brand new DA 50...... Some how some of the polishing compound was left in the cyl... or when I assembled the
cyl , the piston picked up a piece of metal from the side of the cylinder wall......
The results were MAJOR scoring of the pison and cyl.......

THey fixed it all for 100$..... Now you know why I don't buy anything else!!! (I may pick up the new 3W 110 twin and or get the quad 210 for the Deitrich slick 450...!!!

Anyhow... I am a loyal customer.. to say the least.....
Old 12-04-2008, 05:56 PM
taildragger21
My Feedback: (197)

Does this plane have to have the flying wires attached to be safe??Thanks
Old 12-04-2008, 07:21 PM
splais

NO, I didn't have them on it because I want to fly it, not spend all my time assemblying it. The wires are visual only. By the way, if you want to put them on the kit and fixtures are very nice and as easy as any I've seen to put on. Little brackets and predrilled holes included.

PS: my replacement came today so maybe in a week some more pics/video.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:22 PM
splais

I have begun assembly of Pitts #2. After checking everything out it appears this plane is just as well made as the 1st. Everything lined up, in the right place and fit properly. Same need to iron the entire plane. Because I had done this plane just two weeks ago don't even have to look at the manual. I changed the assembly a little bit.
1. After lining eveything up and checking fit I in one session I glued both wings together, glued the elevator in, glued the rudder on top of the elevator, and glued the lower outer cabane mounting post in. the whole gluing process took about an hour and a half.

2. tomarrow I'm gluing in all control surfaces, reinforcing engine box, mounting landing gear and tailwheel, mounting all control surface servos and completing canopy.

3. Day three will be engine mounting, cowl cutting, control horn and linkage mounting, pull-pull install, inner cabane mounting. may need one more day to wrap it up.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:40 PM
kochj

I would have purchased this plane had I didn't have like 6-planes that are brend new IN there box, that are discontinued......

I just can not fix all of them due not having any parts available
Old 12-17-2008, 02:11 PM
optech
My Feedback: (9)

Just so you guys know.... They're blowing these things out for $250.00 [X(]

http://www.coxmodels.com/prodinfo.asp?number=006107

I've been hovering over the trigger all morning but I just can't justify yet another airplane.

Mike
Old 12-17-2008, 02:21 PM
mrbigg

ORIGINAL: optech

Just so you guys know.... They're blowing these things out for $250.00 [X(]

http://www.coxmodels.com/prodinfo.asp?number=006107

I've been hovering over the trigger all morning but I just can't justify yet another airplane.

Mike
What a buy. I just picked up a used GP Stearman. I would like to have a spare. I'm getting mine at Christmas, it's sitting in my Dad's garage now.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:30 PM
taildragger21
My Feedback: (197)

Just bought one of these rtf like new from a friend..Now that there 250.00 I might have to buy another for parts!!
Old 12-17-2008, 06:29 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, thanks for posting about the new lower price! I've been watching the thread since it started, and watching the Cox site a few times each week just to see if they offer a Christmas special price. I kinda gave up on this plane at $400, although that in itself is a good deal, but for $250, I just ordered one!! I like the looks of this plane no matter which maker, but the Cox color scheme is just awesome and classic. This will be my second bipe, my other being a kit built CG Ultimate with an OS 120 Surpass on it. If this Pitts flies better than that, I will be in total ecstacy!! Jon
Old 12-17-2008, 06:43 PM
splais

That really pisses me off[>:] I paid $400 for my replacement just two-three weeks ago and they didn't say anything about waiting a week for a lower price. The plane has been done for a week just sitting waiting for the weather to change. It's been windy and rainy for days.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:57 PM
dtmtoyz
My Feedback: (14)

FYI. Cox has the M12 on clearance right now for $250 with $25 shipping. Mine is on the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.