Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

J&K TR 260

Old 12-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Lightning Fan
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J&K TR 260

This is for the guys that have been around for a while.
I was given a J&K Products TR 260 this week by a friend who has decided not to complete it. Never flown, but some of the work to get it ready was done. This included gluing the 93 inch wing together, so this thing will be a chore to transport, but what the heck, it is free to me.
I'm wondering if anyone out there has experience with this airplane. The pilot that gave it to me had another that I saw fly, and it looked good in the air.
Some specs: 93" wing, the airframe is covered in film and weighs 10 and a half pounds with nothing in it. The horizontal and vertical stabs appear to be slabs, with huge holes cut for lightening. It is a midwing design, but the wing, being one piece, goes through the fuselage. Near as I can tell, it was built in the early 90's.
The manual calls for engines 2.0 to 4.0 ... and there are posts out there that suggest a 3.2 worked OK.
I am a beginner 3D guy, currently flying a Chip Hyde CAP-X with a FPE 2.4. I like the performance of this setup, and would like to get close with the TR 260 if possible.
The questions:
1. I have a Taurus 3.2, but I find it hard to believe that a 50 cc engine will lug this airplane around. Am I incorrect in thinking that I need a 75 to 100cc engine?
2. The fuselage is old style construction, scaled up to giant. The tail cone is solid balsa, looks like 1/4", with 1/4" ply up front as a doubler all the way back to the wing TE. The fuse weighs in around 5 pounds by itself as a result. Did anyone, "back in the day", lighten this up? Obviously, the decision to rip into this area will be determined by the engine weight and CG, but I'm hoping someone has already been down this path.
3. The stabs, as I said, are slabs. The LE's are rounded over, and the elevators/rudder have slight taper. Any thoughts on the advantages of airfoiling these surfaces?
The overall question I am struggling with is whether to complete it with minimal change and just fly it, or to attempt to modernize the design - if I hear that it was a good performer as is, then the only question that remains is the engine selection.

Thanks in advance for any info on this unusual subject.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:22 AM
Six-Shtr
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: J&K TR 260

I just finished mine which was also given to me. Mine is JK TR 260 but the wingspan seems to be 90" not 93". The guys around here who were familiar with it encouraged me to reinforce the nose , especially if I was going to use a 50cc engine which I am. I added another 1/4 " plate behind the cheesy firewall and fiberglassed the whole thing. The directions (which were very very sad) said to also glass the center section if using anything over 40cc which I did. Mine came in at 15 3/4 pounds all up and will fly when the weather improves (Oregon weather yuck!). I am not primarily a 3-d flyer , in fact I am more like a pattern guy so this airplane is probably going to scare me but we all need a bit of adrenalin? Good luck and also don't forget to put flying wires on the tail surfaces as per directions.

Rick
ORIGINAL: Lightning Fan

This is for the guys that have been around for a while.
I was given a J&K Products TR 260 this week by a friend who has decided not to complete it. Never flown, but some of the work to get it ready was done. This included gluing the 93 inch wing together, so this thing will be a chore to transport, but what the heck, it is free to me.
I'm wondering if anyone out there has experience with this airplane. The pilot that gave it to me had another that I saw fly, and it looked good in the air.
Some specs: 93" wing, the airframe is covered in film and weighs 10 and a half pounds with nothing in it. The horizontal and vertical stabs appear to be slabs, with huge holes cut for lightening. It is a midwing design, but the wing, being one piece, goes through the fuselage. Near as I can tell, it was built in the early 90's.
The manual calls for engines 2.0 to 4.0 ... and there are posts out there that suggest a 3.2 worked OK.
I am a beginner 3D guy, currently flying a Chip Hyde CAP-X with a FPE 2.4. I like the performance of this setup, and would like to get close with the TR 260 if possible.
The questions:
1. I have a Taurus 3.2, but I find it hard to believe that a 50 cc engine will lug this airplane around. Am I incorrect in thinking that I need a 75 to 100cc engine?
2. The fuselage is old style construction, scaled up to giant. The tail cone is solid balsa, looks like 1/4", with 1/4" ply up front as a doubler all the way back to the wing TE. The fuse weighs in around 5 pounds by itself as a result. Did anyone, "back in the day", lighten this up? Obviously, the decision to rip into this area will be determined by the engine weight and CG, but I'm hoping someone has already been down this path.
3. The stabs, as I said, are slabs. The LE's are rounded over, and the elevators/rudder have slight taper. Any thoughts on the advantages of airfoiling these surfaces?
The overall question I am struggling with is whether to complete it with minimal change and just fly it, or to attempt to modernize the design - if I hear that it was a good performer as is, then the only question that remains is the engine selection.

Thanks in advance for any info on this unusual subject.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:38 AM
cap10b

If I remember correctly I flew one for a few seasons that a friend built, its a chunk o wood. We had a G-62 on the front of it.
Flew mainly IMAC and Pattern flights with it. Took it to a few flyins. At the time it was a big plane but now its not even worth
having even for free. The wood in this kit was horrible but through lead weights and water in the bathtub it was finnaly straightened out. It flew good and was easy to land and took the extra weight well. No bad habits or problems. Just Coyote ugly.

I have a picture of it some where but not with me now. Will have to dig it up from someplace.

jds
Old 12-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Six-Shtr
My Feedback: (12)

Mine seems to be straight, but yes, I had to recover the tail surfaces and the wood is gnarly in places. Probably one of the earliest big arfs...mine is going to be a sunday flyer.