Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

88" EF yak or 86" QQ yak?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 12:41 AM
extraflight
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88" EF yak or 86" QQ yak?

Well its about time I order a big yak so, 88" Extreme flight or 86" Qui Que and why is one better than the other??

Thanks for the input.

Steve
Old 12-09-2008, 01:18 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: 88" EF yak or 86" QQ yak?

I had a QQ Yak with 95 flights on it. One of my favorite planes...but I crashed it beyond repair a couple of weeks ago. It is hard to find fault with the QQ quality, service and performance. One of the very best out there.

I just replaced it with a EF Yak. I have it partially put together. It looks considerably bigger than the QQ. Quality seems to be about the same (the best there is). Many similarities with the biggest difference I see so far is actual size.

I believe the EF Yak is better suited for a 60 size engine. From all I can see it's a pound or two heavier than the QQ. I'm going with an BME Extreme 58 on mine. I had the DA50 on my QQ. But I'm at 4800' elevation. I don't think the DA would fly it very good up here.

Everyone who has either of these planes rants and raves about how good they are. Having both...I'm still ranting and raving. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. The QQ was on sale for $499 but they may be sold out. The EF Yak doesn't go on sale. They don't have to. And they are often sold out too. If you can find either one....better get it.
Thanks
Barry
Old 12-09-2008, 08:24 AM
flygilmore

I just received the Extreme Flight Yak myself last week-I too, was amazed at just how big it really is. Quality is very top-notch and I would not have any other brand- I am very pleased.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:38 AM
MustangAce
My Feedback: (3)

I have flown both airplanes. The quality is the best there is for both as stated above. As far as flying characteristics, the QQ Yak is better suited for IMAC pattern type maneuvers and the EF Yak is a better 3D plane.

I own the EF Yak. By the way, it makes the QQ plane look like a 120 size plane. My 2c

Ace
Old 12-09-2008, 09:58 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you truly want a "big" Yak then the EF is the one. I also just ordered one. The quality is unreal. These things are designed so well. I like the covering scheme way better than the QQ. For some reason his colors just look bland to me.

I could see why the QQ would be better IMAC. The EF is a fat fuse and big cowling. It might drag a little more than the smaller QQ. Being a 3D nut the EF is a no brainer.

So it's the same old story: Better depends on what's best for you. EF is better for me, the QQ is better for others.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:28 PM
The RC Dude
My Feedback: (3)

What about the Aeroworks Yak? Have you considered it.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:45 AM
Wasson

QQ 86" Yaks are a superb aeroplane but they are currently out of stock.

If an order is placed for another batch, it could be another 3 to 5 months before they arrive.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:31 PM
Sewerdude
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a AW Yak and like it alot. You might want to look at the Pilot RC Yaks. Troy Built sells them
Old 02-13-2009, 11:02 PM
JoeAirPort

Just maidened my EF Yak today. Incredible flying Yak. If you had the sticks for a few minutes you'd want one.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:45 AM
Sewerdude
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote]ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Just maidened my EF Yak today. Incredible flying Yak. If you had the sticks for a few minutes you'd want one.
[/quote

Had one......................................sold it
Old 02-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Absolut Yak
My Feedback: (4)

I owned the Aeroworks Yak and flew 200 flights. Good airplane with good flight characteristics. I now own the 88" EF Yak and it is not a "good" airplane. It is a "SUPERB" airplane! I have 200 flight on the EF. It is significantly bigger and flies much lighter. I am now finishing up the 110" EF Yak. Should fly that this week and expect it to be even better. I don't see how you can go wrong with either the QQ Yak or the EF Yak. I will say, the EF Yak looks great and the huge cowl absolutely swallows the DA50 with no cowl cutting. Love it!

Doug
Old 02-14-2009, 08:19 PM
JoeAirPort

ORIGINAL: Sewerdude

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Had one......................................sold it
Why? Let's hear it.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:35 AM
bladebender
My Feedback: (5)

get the EF yak covering is better plus thay are in stock had booth
Old 02-16-2009, 04:06 AM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

Just to echo Barry's comments - I've built and flown both.

While quality is similar and the very best you can get these days (sorry for the Aeroworks owners, it's just not the same league), the EF yak is superior in almost every aspect, making it much more attractive.

The EF yak is way more scale the the QQ and has better presence in the air. I like better the way it is built and engineered. Covering is fantastic (some of the covering on the QQ wings came off quite quickly).

The QQ flies faster and slows down less in the downlines, which makes it not as good for IMAC purposes, in my opinion.

I've flown both with DA-50s with and without canister. Never a problem and no lack of vertical power at all... Both require the narrow version.