Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Brent Good Custom Airframes 106" Yak 54

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Brent Good Custom Airframes 106" Yak 54

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 02:50 PM
Brent G
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brent Good Custom Airframes 106

Thanks again to everyone who purchased tickets for the Yak. We had the drawing and the winner is TJ Rohyens from Mobile, Alabama. He purchased the tickets at the 2009 Joe Nall.

Keep watching for more info on the plane and the 150cc version that I am planning on drawing this winter.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Brent G

Hello everyone! I just wanted to pass along that TJ want's to sell the yak he won. He doesn't have room for a plane that size. We would like to get the plane sold and out of the shop where it is being stored as soon as possible. If anyone would like to make an offer shoot me a pm and I will pass along TJ's contact info. Who ever buys it is responsible for arranging to pick it up or having it shipped. The plane is currently at a freinds shop in Rock Hill, SC.

Just let me know.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:32 AM
Jerry_Hailey

I'm glad TJ was willing to part with this plane. I'm the new owner, so I will post the progress of the Brent Good Yak 106.

Brent did an excellent gob on this plane. The construction is solid and the finish work top quality.

I started by checking the CG so I could mount the batteries in the best location. It turned out that the CG was spot on, so I centered the batteries and receiver. I had a little trouble getting the carburetor to pull in fuel. I ended up pulling the pump membrane out and found it was dry and stuck. It was not a big deal to put a little CRC556 on the needle and get the DLE111 to fire up. Big Power! I am very pleased with the power of this engine. I started out two turns on the High and Low adjustments. After a few minutes to get the engine warm I started leaning out the top first. I ended up back at 1 ¾ out on the High and 1 ½ on the low. The throttle response is excellent, I have no hesitation at all from idle to full throttle. It has a very smooth rpm transition even when opening the throttle very slow to hit every click of the transmitter one at a time.

I have a DX7 2.4g transmitter that I have installed. I used an amp meter to balance all of the servos for the lowest amp draw. The servo-match from Spectrum is a nice feature. All of the servos work smooth and in sync.

All I need to get this bird in the air is to hook up a choke rod. Today the forecast is for gusting wind and scattered thunder storms.

I’ll report back after I have it in the air.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:07 AM
Taildragger726

[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 09-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Brent G

Sounds great, I can't wait to get the flight report.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Jerry_Hailey

She flies!

I don’t know what weather forecast I was look at this morning, but the good news is the weather was good for the first flight or four.

I got to the field at 6 pm, just when it was nice out, 72 degrees and a light wind from the south. The needle valve settings were off a bit when I first started the engine. I have only ran one full tank of fuel, so I’m not surprised that it changed from the day before. I adjusted a couple of times with the cowl on, but I couldn’t tell where the needle valves were so I pulled of the cowl to tune the engine.
With the cowl off I started just running up and down the runway just to put some time on the engine. That was the plan but I ended up nailing the throttle and lifting off. One click of aileron and two clicks of elevator and she was in trim. I fliped over to a knife edge and flew the length of the field. It tracked straight, and steady. I went over to inverted and could fly at 1/16 throttle and hands off the controls. My next test was to se what the stall speed was, this didn’t work. It doesn’t have a stall speed! It floats like a foamy. I flew around a while doing some basic stuff, stall turn, roll inverted snap rolls and such to get a feel for the plane. I pulled up into a hover and was pleased with how stable it was. Oh yea, ¼ throttle will hover. That DLE111 is a ton of power for this plane. I did a few landings and they all came in light and slow. Then the engine went dead stick. I had the needles to rich and loaded it up. Anyway, without the wind from the prop it is a whole different airplane. I was down wind going away from the runway at about tree top altitude. I turned to the right and dove as best I could but my airspeed was a little slow, so she sat down a little hard but square on the landing gear. No damage other than a little bent landing gear and my pride. The landing gear did its job and took the blow and kept the airframe in tact. This is one sweet plane. Good Job Brent Good Custom Airframes.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Brent G

Great to hear that you got it down in 1 piece. It sound like that 111 is a power house. Just wait, it should only get stronger. I would have been afraid to fly the plane with out the cowl. It sounds like the plane is about right for 3D and a little tail heavy for IMAC. If you can fly it hands off inverted that is a little tail heavy. The plane will probably stall a little better once you have the cowl on and have the cg just a little farther forward. How do you like the knife edge flight? Do you have any pictures to share? Where did you end up putting the batteries? Once you have the cowl on you can probably move them back a little. I am glad to hear that you are happy with the plane.

Congrats on a sucessfull maiden flight.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Brent G

I have an update on kits. I have been in contact with a kit manufacture and he said he would like to market my designs. I can't go into too much detail at this time because we are just getting started talking about copyrights and royalties. I am just about done with the changes to the design. I have corrected some of the small alignment and clearance issues. I have also extended the tunnel to accept tuned pipes and streched the fuse 2". I have also done a little more lightning work. I decided to not go with the pocket hinges. I am only used to working with 2D cad. It is just a real headache to try to figure out the pocket hinges. It also looked like it would end up adding a little weight. So I decided to not go that route. I have also made the mold for the canopy's. I just need to make the plug and then I will be able to vacume form the canopy's. I should be ready to offer kits for this winters building season. I don't have a price yet but that will come once we get things all worked out. I will be doing a complete build thread on the plane as well as making detaild construction instructions for the kit. Keep checking in to see how things are progressing. If anyone is interested in a kit let me know so we can get an idea of how may to start thinking about. I will also be starting work on the 150cc yak as well. I will probably build the plane and have someone else put their equipment in it and do the testing. I will be looking for an unlimited IMAC pilot in my area to do this.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Jerry_Hailey

I just had another great day at the field with the 106" Yak.

I moved the fuel tank forward two inches to get the CG more where I like to fly. I know the CG will change as the fuel goes down, but for now I'm getting a feel for where I need the balance. Just FYI it is hands off inverted and flies level. I like a little drop inverted.

That DLE111 is staring to break in now. I took a short cut and only ran a couple of tanks of fuel and took to the air to break-in in-flight. I should have read the manual first, but it's all good.

I know at least on guy at our feild that wants a 50cc.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Brent G

Are you flying it with the cowl on now? Where are the batteries? As far as the manuel goes I would not break it in on the ground like it says. I would do it in the air and just not do much 3D until it gets some time on it. With the baffling in the cowl that engine will cool better running in the air. Glad to hear that every thing is going good.
We should be able to help your guys out with a 50cc or something bigger if they want one.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Jerry_Hailey

The cowl is on. I have the two main batteries tie strapped just behind the firewall. i have the Ignition battery strapped to the plywood that was cut for switches. The CG is just right for the way I like it.

Today I did just as you say, just fly with a little altitude. The engine is breaking in fine in the air.

You will be getting a call soon from Roger. As I made a slow knife edge pass he said "what's that guys number?". I was just above tree top height so he also said "they do that about two feet off the runway down at Joe Nall". This plane is too nice to be totally stupid the first week, so give me til the end of the month before i get down to the deck.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Brent G

That is funny. The plane is very easy to knife edge. Do you have enough rudder servo with the 2 HD 9150's. I didn't do any thing low with my plane and still lost it. Some times things just happen. I can't wait to see you fly the plane on the 19th in Charlotte.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Jerry_Hailey

500 oz is plenty of rudder servo for me.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Jerry_Hailey

Here is the image if the battery install. I have the two receiver batteries just behind the firewall mounted in foam and the ignition battery strapped to foam under the plywood plate.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61256.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	1271851  
Old 09-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Brent G

Nice and clean. Have you noticed much of a cg change with the tank moved up as the fuel gets burnt?
Old 09-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Jerry_Hailey

Not enough change in CG for it to bother me yet. I plan on adding a smoke tank just behind the fuel tank. I have a smoke system on the bench, but haven't taken the time to install yet. I will build a custom square canister to fit in the box above the landing gear. While I’m at it I will add a smoke system. We need to keep the noise down all we can at our local field. No one has complained and we don’t want them to start.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:35 AM
Brent G

Jerry

There id enough room for a standard canaster in the tunnel. I designed the tunnel with the 3w canisters in mind. I have been working on the pocket hinge line for the plane.
I think I have it all figured it out. I have been animating the parts to make sure they work right. And so far every thing looks good. Here is a image of the hinge line.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62429.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1273555  
Old 09-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Jerry_Hailey

Thanks Brent. I did't look at the 3W canister. I was looking at the DA 67mm canister.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Jerry_Hailey

I have a video of one of my first flights. Quality is not too good, but I think you still see how well this plane flies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFm2BJImtsU

Old 09-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Brent G

Jerry

Thanks for putting the video up. That DL looks like it is an animal. The plane just excelerates on the uplines. It looks like it rolls very crisp and stops when it is suppose to. It also looks like there is plenty of rudder servo as well. I can't wait to see the plane in person this weekend. Maybe we can get somemore video of the plane flying this weekend. I should have a unlimited pilot up there that can demo it. If we have your permission.

Nice flying.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Flexnbeef
My Feedback: (9)

nice video...Nice to be able to hear a engine perform for once....
Old 09-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Brent G

Jerry brought the plane out to Charlotte yesterday and was kind enough to let Adam Ranck play with it. Adam made one flight to get the feel of the plane. We made some small throw changes. Here is the first clip of his second flight. Adam hasn't flown for about 2 months. It didn't take him long to get comfortable with the plane. I will be posting more clips and the full video once we finish getting it edited down to a managable size.

Here is the first clip of Adam flying Jerry's Yak. As we finish more of the flight I will post it. We should have the full video later today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOiqH7o820Y
Old 09-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Brent G

clip 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6IC7xK3PkM
Old 09-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Brent G

clip 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73qmyBgXYF4
Old 09-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Brent G

Here is the link to the finished video!

I would like to say a big Thank You to Jason Jones for putting this together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtUG6YsNgDo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.