Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

H9 CAP Crash; 6014 blame? Replacenet ideas?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

H9 CAP Crash; 6014 blame? Replacenet ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 12:21 AM
Race21
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 CAP Crash; 6014 blame? Replacenet ideas?

Hey guys,

Had a bit of bad luck. My best guess is that the Rec pulled loose and away from my regulators/battery packs. The irony is that I checked the security of its mount and the servos and leads as part of my pre flight. Running a Futaba 6014. When I got to the "crime" scene (about 5 minutes) the Rec was warm but certainly not hot. Maybe 85 degrees.....just a guess. I could hold it indefinately. It was 65 degrees OAT here today so by no means a hot day. Had flown this set up about 15 times with NO trouble. No clue what happened. I really, honestly wish I could blame it on dumb thumbs. At least I would know what happened! Needless to say I am still a little "sore" but at least no body was hurt. Flying at an AMA field so it was an open area. The plane went into the dirt at idle at about a 25 degree angle. Believe it or not, the gear leg absorbed an amazing amount of energy!

Had a ZDZ 80 on the front of it. I think it will be fine after overhaul (hope so anyway). Need a new airframe and a few servos though..........and a Smart Fly!! BTW, I was running Li-ions, 7.5v with 1 amp load prior to flight, dual packs and switches.

SO- What are some ideas? I like that ZDZ and want something that will have pleanty of power. BTW, I'm in Denver so I'd really rather have something that the ZDZ will slightly overpower rather than underpower. The Aeroworks 85cc Yak is on my list, just wondering what others are flying/think? "New" MM H9 Sukhoi? TT Yak?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:38 AM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: H9 CAP Crash; 6014 blame? Replacenet ideas?

Sorry to hear about your loss!
Where do you fly? !'m just north of you and fly at the L.A.M.A. field.
You might look at the 75cc Aeroworks planes.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:09 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was warm to the touch, then it was warmer than your body temp, which is more than 85 degrees.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:34 PM
darrolair

Race21,
Sorry to hear about your loss. 2.4 can mask interference. It's not full proof. Just a thought.
Darrolair
Old 02-06-2009, 08:02 PM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

The H9 Sukhoi is definitely a light airframe for an 80 to 85c engine. Flies great as well.

If the ZDZ does not vibrate too much, you will like it.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:43 AM
Crash-n-Burn
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: mrbigg

If it was warm to the touch, then it was warmer than your body temp, which is more than 85 degrees.

If the human body temp is 85 Degrees F, you will be a dead human. 98.6 is human body temp.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:14 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:01 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a bit of bad luck. My best guess is that the Rec pulled loose and away from my regulators/battery packs.
This is very confusing. If the receiver had puilled loose from the power supply why are you speculating about temperature?

When you reached the crash site was the green light on th ereceiver lit? Or was it red?

Some more information might reduce the confusion a bit.

TF
Old 02-07-2009, 12:39 PM
canavanbob

If the receiver comes loose from the power supply, the lights go out and the party is over!
Old 02-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Race21

There were no lights as both regulators were at about 18" away from the RX. That was just the way that the fuselage broke. I wish that it hadn't broken that way as the accident investigation would be A LOT easier. The RX was warm, but not hot. Maybe my guess of 85 degrees was off. I didn't have my Raytech thermometer (awesome tuning/diagnostic tool BTW) at the field that day so my guess of 85 in the original post was simply to get the point across that the RX was by no means hot.

As for the RX pulling away from the regulators- I guess anything is possible and that is why I put that in my original post. I have disected most of the wreckage and the RX was still attached to the plate that I had it mounted to, The regulators were still attached to the plate that they were on as well. Again, it is possible but I don't think I will ever know. The fuselage "split". The aft half had the RX and the front had the regulators/ FWF/ etc. It seems to be a chicken and the egg guess. [&:]
I have replayed every thing in my head at least 100 times and nothing is making any sense at all. I am going to send both the TX and RX in to be looked at. To that end- has anyone experienced or heard of the 10CAP and 6014 "loosing" their bind while the aircraft was airborn? Nothing passed between me and the plane and nothing touched, moved or otherwise the TX antenna. I have heard of the DX6i doing this but haven't heard of any problems with the Futaba. Just fishing.......

As for a suitable replacement..........

I really liked the H9 Cap, enough that I may get the same one. Flew well and presented well. And the ZDZ was great.

Anyone want to share their thoughts on the Great Planes Matt Chapman Cap? Looks a touch bigger, might need the Super 80.

Thanks again to all who have weighed!
Old 02-08-2009, 11:07 AM
tkilwein

First off, Sorry for your losses.

quote;
I was running Li-ions, 7.5v with 1 amp load prior to flight, dual packs and switches.
quote;

Food for thought,
The Vreg inside the rx is a linear reg.
The higher the input voltage means more HEAT is being generated. IR losses at work
The excess voltage must be dropped in the form of HEAT inside the reg.
Most every modern linear reg has built in shutdown when it gets to hot at the die level, Tj spec,
built in thermal protection.
With your dual batteries at ~7.5 under a one amp load means the RX regulator must regulate
~7.5 or higher, down to ~3v inside. The excess voltage must be dropped across the reg in the form of heat.
This may have been a factor or part of a few factors or not.
Due to the packs being torn off, post mortem at the crash site is not doable.
Need more info, debug effort-work to find out more.

I have both 6014's and 617's and I have done some pretty exhaustive testing of mine before putting them in use.
This is both thermal and signal analysis at the chip level. With no outside major heat influences the insides are well within reasonable
limits-spec's. I used switcher regs set to 5.4-5.6v, 4 and 5 cell nicads.